g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jadon Sancho image 25

Jadon Sancho England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

The problem Sancho has is we already have two better players then him in his best position. Unless he can learn the #10 role and be Bruno’s backup/rotation option I don’t really see a future for him here.
The future is at United because nobody will pay for his wages. We're talking 300k a week. No club that would be interested in him, would pay that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He just can't deal with the speed of the PL, wants to do everything at walking pace

Cathy Ferguson

I think something that we just haven't done enough of (for obvious reasons with Rashford just being a more important player for us), is having him and Shaw link up on the left. They suit each other really well. Given our strikers are non existent, would like to see Rashford central and Sancho on the left to have that link up with Shaw.
Both Sancho and Rashford are not very good defensively. Weghorst's defensive work is part of the reason why Rashford is such an attacking threat.

CM

I think he's fundamentally too slow to make it here. Everything takes a fraction of a second too long and he seems to be on a different wavelength from the other attacking players.

I'd sell him in the summer if we can recoup most of the fee for him.

pacifictheme

I think he's fundamentally too slow to make it here. Everything takes a fraction of a second too long and he seems to be on a different wavelength from the other attacking players.

I'd sell him in the summer if we can recoup most of the fee for him.
Yeah like his perfectly timed pass to Shaw for our second goal or his class skill before willian denied him a great goal.

He's too weak on the ball and needs to get his confidence back but he's one of our better players technically and also when it comes to quick interplay.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd keep Pellestri over this guy. He's just not up to it. What a poor signing he's been.

I'm not a huge fan of Antony either but he's definitely better for us than Sancho is.

In Rainbows

Why has he stopped taking on players? When he arrived at the club he was pretty good at beating his fullback, but now he’s just stopped.
Not sure. He's actually a more efficient dribbler than Garnacho, but the difference is that Garnacho isn't scared to try them as seen in the pic below. That's the reason why Garnacho looks more dangerous.

Mingus

He played better when Antony came on and he had somebody to play one-twos with. We'll be a different side next season with hopefully more possession (which will suit him).

darko

Yeah like his perfectly timed pass to Shaw for our second goal or his class skill before willian denied him a great goal.

He's too weak on the ball and needs to get his confidence back but he's one of our better players technically and also when it comes to quick interplay.
Shhhh ... you'll spoil the fun for those who like to call him a fraud. I thought he did well today.

In Rainbows

Shhhh ... you'll spoil the fun for those who like to call him a fraud. I thought he did well today.
He was good on the ball, he just didn't get it enough in the first half and he had that frustrating corner at the end of the half. I also noticed he was running more than usual. Still not combative when defending, but did run more.

I feel like if there was a touch compilation, it would show he was better on the ball than what people are giving him credit for.

CM

He's a good technical player but I don't think there's enough to go with it to make him a United player.

I like Sancho and want it to work for him here, but I really don't see where he fits here long-term. Rashford and Garnacho are far more natural options on the left. Antony, for all his critics, has made more of an impression than Sancho, and we already have ready made deputies in Pellistri and Amad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If he had pace he would be one of the best players in the world. He’s technically so gifted. It would be a shame for his talent to be wasted.

lex talionis

If he had pace he would be one of the best players in the world. He’s technically so gifted. It would be a shame for his talent to be wasted.
Agreed, or at least I agree that he doesn't use the pace that he has. Watch Sancho run with serious pace on the counter that led to the Willian handball.

Otherwise, a disappointing performance but you can see glimpses of greatness in him. Clear as day for me it's still a mental block and no longer a fitness issue.

UDontMessWith24

Yep and what it’ll come down to for him is can he spend some time in weight room and adapt his game to be able to counter press and help win the ball. Something all the wide playmakers at the club he came up in can do very well. There are moments when you see why he was one of the hottest prospects in world football

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Agreed, or at least I agree that he doesn't use the pace that he has. Watch Sancho run with serious pace on the counter that led to the Willian handball.

Otherwise, a disappointing performance but you can see glimpses of greatness in him. Clear as day for me it's still a mental block and no longer a fitness issue.
I think he’s quick but not at a Rashford, Mbappe type pace level which if he had would be quite terrifying. I also think he’s lost a bit of pace, perhaps related to fitness.

Chinchy98

Not sure I agree with a lot of these plaudits. Yes he delivered the goods, but the underlying performance was more of the same; lightweight, slow & impotent.

If he can keep the output up then great, but the performance today didn’t indicate to me that this would be the case

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t get why people are so obsessed with pace. Was David Silva very quick? Or how about Mahrez? Loads of examples of very effective creative, technical players that didn’t need to burn defenders for pace.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'd say he look best when not in our chaos - but watching his highlights from Dortmund, he was best in transition there. So I don't really understand why it's not clicking.

I do think the version of Sancho we have right now is best suited to a posession team - which we're really not.

Our midfield is so strange. When our CBs have the ball, they're no where to be seen, but when the wide forwards have it, they're also not at the edge of the box. So he doesn't have players to ping it around with.

There's definitely a player in there though, some of his touches are outstanding.

mu4c_20le

It's not pace, it's speed of thought, and right now he's still lacking confidence. I'm certain we will see him explode at some point, and the numbers will flow.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It's not pace, it's speed of thought, and right now he's still lacking confidence. I'm certain we will see him explode at some point, and the numbers will flow.
He played okay today and showed some lovely touches. However, the corner at the end of the first half summed it up for me. He decided 3 seconds before passing to Bruno on the overlap he was going to pass to him and when the defender had read it giving Sancho space inside and the pass was no longer on he did it anyway. Also the moment when he passed to Mctominay instead of shooting himself. It still looks like he’s overawed and a guest in the team constantly ceding to others rather than taking responsibility himself. It’s like he doesn’t truly believe he belongs. I’m still convinced it’ll click. He’s too talented and ETH is too good a manager for it not to.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t get why people are so obsessed with pace. Was David Silva very quick? Or how about Mahrez? Loads of examples of very effective creative, technical players that didn’t need to burn defenders for pace.
Because the skill set Sancho has would be more devastating with pace.

Scholsey2004

He never really looked that good for us. He always struggled for game time. And yet he looked decent in Germany.

Either:

He is not as good as he was

or

He wasn’t as good as he looked.

I wonder which of these is true.
Ive had a stackload of different explanations, none of which really hold water. So far its gone like the Depay signing. He has games where he's tidy, like today, but his influence is always quiite limited.

Wing Attack Plan R

Ive had a stackload of different explanations, none of which really hold water. So far its gone like the Depay signing. He has games where he's tidy, like today, but his influence is always quiite limited.
Depay is an apt comparison. I felt he had lots of potential that he never turned into action, just like Sancho. I never really lost patience with Depay the way I have with Sancho, though.

wangyu

1 or 2 good moments but not enough of it, basically the same as most of Antony’s performances.
Sancho is easier on the eye though, looks smooth as silk, reminds me of Moussa Dembele while handling the ball.
I think he will only start to shine when we play some sort of tiki taka football

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t think so, Saka has all of Sancho’s technicality, plus an abundance of physical gifts. I don’t think Sancho can ever reach Saka’s current level in the premier league.
Mentally, Saka is also on another planet to Sancho. While we'll never likely know exactly what kept him out for so long earlier in the season, we know it wasn't an injury. So it had to have been some mental/psychological or personal issue. ETH has made a lot of allowances for him and he still can't seem to get it together. He shows glimpses, but just can't impose himself on games or show any consistency.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
For me, the concern with Sancho is he looks a luxury player.

When we are in the ascendancy, when the wind is in our sails, Sancho looks good. However, when the match is tight, it doesn't feel like he will make the breakthrough.

In fairness to him, the penalty we got was mostly his work. He made a great run for Antony to pick out and he did all the right things in front of goal. Hence Willian needing to turn volleyball player.

However, for so much of the game beforehand, he did not offer any kind of option or injection of creativity. Worst thing is, Ole, Ralf and now Ten Hag seem to have concluded, his best position is inside left. So his competition is Rashford, probably the most in form player in English football, and Garnacho, the coming man.

When everyone is fit Sancho doesn't start. He's probably not the first guy you sub on to change the game either. It's not what anyone expected when we signed him.

Rossa

Not sure. He's actually a more efficient dribbler than Garnacho, but the difference is that Garnacho isn't scared to try them as seen in the pic below. That's the reason why Garnacho looks more dangerous.

Couldn't see the pic, but I kind of agree. Garnacho obviously is much faster and more direct, but Sancho has unbelievable close control and body balance. People say he doesn't have the physical qualities to pull it off like acceleration and top speed. However, I would argue that he's quicker off the mark and has comparable, if not better, top speed than Grealish, but Grealish is much better at taking on his man and beating him, before trying to beat four more and ultimately failing to do so. He needs to do it more often, as does Antony.

Grande

He struggled to grt involved much of the game, or perhaps he struggled too little. At the same time, he set up the biggest chance in first half (McTom), won a pen and a red card, and created our second goal with freeing up Shaw in the box in a lovely way. When Bruno or Rashford have a game like that, I’ll normally say they are our most important players even on a quiet night, so I guess this shouldn’t be a match to beat Sancho with.

Status
Not open for further replies.