5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doracle

he is a very good player in a possession based team.......very good around the box.....completely useless if u just sit back and expect to counter
I don’t understand why people have such a misplaced understanding of Sancho’s skill set. He is very good in a counter-attacking side. That sort of space allows him to exploit his running with the ball and play the fast transition plays favoured by Dortmund.

Where he struggles is when the game is slow paced against set defences. He doesn’t appear to have the ability to beat a player 1 on 1 in the premier league and his ability to pick a pass has been very questionable.

Today was an improvement, although Everton’s suicidal high line was well set up for him. Great pass for the first goal and a tidy performance all-round.

El Jefe

He had a good game but everyone did and it was a home game. I won't buyback my stock in Sancho until he can really stamp his authority in a really challenging game where we as a team are struggling.

If Rashford is out, this will be his time to prove that he's ready to step up. There can be no more excuses between now and the end of the season.

Bondi77

I thought he was pretty good as it looks like he has lifted his workrate a bit so hopefully he will continue to improve.

mainoo era

I don’t understand why people have such a misplaced understanding of Sancho’s skill set. He is very good in a counter-attacking side. That sort of space allows him to exploit his running with the ball and play the fast transition plays favoured by Dortmund.

Where he struggles is when the game is slow paced against set defences. He doesn’t appear to have the ability to beat a player 1 on 1 in the premier league and his ability to pick a pass has been very questionable.

Today was an improvement, although Everton’s suicidal high line was well set up for him. Great pass for the first goal and a tidy performance all-round.
I believe he will be an excellent player for us next year under ten haag.....my point is he isn't quick like rashford....love him though......martial, rashford,sancho,antony,garnacho,amad plus a new signing will be a sensational attack I think.......might even have no 11 back...who knows...

mainoo era

Who is expecting to purely sit back and counter?

I think you should be able to operate in multiple ways at Man United. You can't just say you're only going to perform when we've got possession, or when a counter is on. That makes little sense with the way football is played at the top level. The manager will be looking for our attackers to make an impact across all phases of play, in and out of possession. Sancho has to work at a lot of areas but it's possible for him.
I agree mate......but without eriksen and casemiro we struggle to control possession.......once that improves, rest automatically takes care of itself

Olecurls99

I completely disagree and today is really not the day to make this point.

Andersons Dietician

I kind of agree that he can operate in a counter attacking team but don’t agree with your other point. I think the issue he’s had in the premier league “picking passes” is that no one makes the runs in our team for him to make those passes.
Dortmund he would do the same thing, play is slowed down and he would stop his opponent then make a quick shift of direction to create the angle for himself to pick the pass. To do that you need the people making the run, we’ve just not had that.

Hes not really a winger he is more of a wide attacking midfielder in my eyes, he’s rarely going to go on the outside of someone at speed, he relies on slowing his defender down then his tight control to again create an angle or go past them.

Golden Nugget

I kind of agree that he can operate in a counter attacking team but don’t agree with your other point. I think the issue he’s had in the premier league “picking passes” is that no one makes the runs in our team for him to make those passes.
Dortmund he would do the same thing, play is slowed down and he would stop his opponent then make a quick shift of direction to create the angle for himself to pick the pass. To do that you need the people making the run, we’ve just not had that.

Hes not really a winger he is more of a wide attacking midfielder in my eyes, he’s rarely going to go on the outside of someone at speed, he relies on slowing his defender down then his tight control to again create an angle or go past them.
Agree with this. Watching him yesterday (I thought he was great btw) he’s not going to be the traditional winger like Rashford, Antony and Garnacho where he will constantly skin and beat players - but he’ll drag players out and pass between and open games up. McTominay made the run when Sancho got the ball and he picked him out perfectly.

If ten Hag is building a team for of runners and attacking movement, Sancho will shine. If it’s just based on individual brilliance and magic, then Sancho won’t be a success here.

iHicksy

I think he has all the talent in the world. He's the type of player that could play in city's system as his close control is probably is strongest asset.

For me, he looks much much more comfortable on the left, which of course poses it's own set of issues. I'd like him to get a run in the team but it's a nice problem to have i guess.

SAF is the GOAT

Agree with this. Watching him yesterday (I thought he was great btw) he’s not going to be the traditional winger like Rashford, Antony and Garnacho where he will constantly skin and beat players - but he’ll drag players out and pass between and open games up. McTominay made the run when Sancho got the ball and he picked him out perfectly.

If ten Hag is building a team for of runners and attacking movement, Sancho will shine. If it’s just based on individual brilliance and magic, then Sancho won’t be a success here.
I don't actually entirely agree with it because we saw him did exactly that when he played for Dortmund whether in Bundes Liga or in CL

The highlights I saw, yeah - but based on the two seasons in the PL it seems like the defenders are quicker and stronger and he’s struggling to do so, but yeah he did look much, much quicker when he played for Dortmund.
Jadon needs his mojo back

Last edited:

spiriticon

I can't believe the one game I had to miss yesterday because I was travelling, he decided to show up.

Let's hope for a purple patch.

Golden Nugget

I don't actually entirely agree with it because we saw him did exactly that when he played for Dortmund whether in Bundes Liga or in CL
The highlights I saw, yeah - but based on the two seasons in the PL it seems like the defenders are quicker and stronger and he’s struggling to do so, but yeah he did look much, much quicker when he played for Dortmund.

Lost bear

I agree. I do also think that ETH is building the passing team you mention, so I think Sancho will be fine. Incidentally, I thought he was really good yesterday, too. Sancho will never be a Rashford, but he has his own skills, perfectly illustrated by the slide rule ball he made for McTominay’s goal.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Bundesliga teams play a high defensive line - so Sancho only had to beat the line before being through on goal. Bundesliga players also press like crazy giving him space behind them to run in to by playing his one twos.

Premier league doesn’t play like that - they sit quite deep vs us and doesn’t give us unnecessary space.

Sancho plays at a tempo that is slower that Rashford’s & even Antony’s where you see Bruno Fernándes constantly finding balls through or over the defensive line that Sancho never seems to see.

GueRed

With Rashford missing for what looks like a few games (hopefully no more than that).... Sancho will get a proper chance and from his best position.

Andersons Dietician

Bundesliga teams play a high defensive line - so Sancho only had to beat the line before being through on goal. Bundesliga players also press like crazy giving him space behind them to run in to by playing his one twos.

Premier league doesn’t play like that - they sit quite deep vs us and doesn’t give us unnecessary space.

Sancho plays at a tempo that is slower that Rashford’s & even Antony’s where you see Bruno Fernándes constantly finding balls through or over the defensive line that Sancho never seems to see.
Everton yesterday played like one of those Bundesliga teams so it did play in to our hands and Sancho. I’m a little confused by your Bruno comparison? Are you saying Sancho should be making those runs for the Bruno passes or should be playing passes like that?

Because Bruno and Sancho are very different and if anything Bruno needs to play more passes like Sabitzer or Sancho.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Everton yesterday played like one of those Bundesliga teams so it did play in to our hands and Sancho. I’m a little confused by your Bruno comparison? Are you saying Sancho should be making those runs for the Bruno passes or should be playing passes like that?

Because Bruno and Sancho are very different and if anything Bruno needs to play more passes like Sabitzer or Sancho.
Well that’s what Bruno has been doing from deep. Being much safer.

On the other hand Sancho and Sabitzer take no risks because they have no ability to do it like Bruno.

So you could argue if you see that Bruno should be more like Sancho and Sabitzer then Sancho and Sabitzer should be a bit more like Bruno too.

Anyway, what I was saying is that Bruno seems to pick out Rashford’s and Antony’s runs quite often but not Sancho’s runs. Mostly probably because he doesn’t make enough.

That is the first performance in a Utd shirt for me where he looked comfortable and adapted to the English game.

He was brilliant in and around the box with those quick, snappy and accurate passes. Long may it continue.

redshaw

What we need to do more is get him the ball around and in the box with options. He's so composed to pick a pass or shoot.

There was a moment when Sancho passed to Rashford and Rashford held on to it far too long trying to get to box and ended up being tackled. Was a perfect situation to pass it back to Sancho and build some link play.

UDontMessWith24

Some of the posts after the Newcastle loss were absolutely vile. Makes me wonder if the kids that made those posts are legitimately disappointed when he plays well even if we win the match.

Andersons Dietician

Well that’s what Bruno has been doing from deep. Being much safer.

On the other hand Sancho and Sabitzer take no risks because they have no ability to do it like Bruno.

So you could argue if you see that Bruno should be more like Sancho and Sabitzer then Sancho and Sabitzer should be a bit more like Bruno too.

Anyway, what I was saying is that Bruno seems to pick out Rashford’s and Antony’s runs quite often but not Sancho’s runs. Mostly probably because he doesn’t make enough.
You say Sabitzer and Sancho take no risks yet they played passes in to the final 3rd of far higher quality than Bruno tends to do. Not run of the mil passes either. Although yesterday with that high line and Bruno playing deeper it allowed him the time and space to do what he does best which is ping a ball in to the acres of space provided.

Bruno however in the final 3rd is not that great or creative when it comes to executing his attempts at creative passing. It’s just not his forte. He just isn’t suited for the intricate breaking down of a defence, where as the likes of Sabitzer, Sancho and Eriksen pick more decisive and intricate passes in to the box.

Bruno operates better from a range further back when teams are not set. This isn’t a dig at Bruno it’s just if you look at his chance creation map you can visually see where his better passing range is and the lack of penetration in to the box.

Sancho isn’t going to play in that same area so doesn’t need to be trying Bruno style passes. Just stick to what made him such a brilliant player for Dortmund which was the small intricate passes between lines and defenders slipping people in.

Sabitzer however should probably try a bit more of the Bruno ball especially when we are on the break and Bruno when closer to goal should probably try slipping passes through the defence.

To add Bruno was I felt brilliant yesterday with his long range passing but like I said Everton played in a manner in which we should have scored a bundle.

Stacks

What planet are you on. Strange post given his performance today was pretty good.
Perhaps, but an odd post to put up after Sancho put in an excellent performance today.

There’s no guarantee Garnacho won’t dream of going to Real or Barcelona, so let’s not kick Sancho onto the curb just yet.
I burst out laughing at the timing and directness of their post but at the same time I respect more a person who is firm in their belief by assessing his time here as a whole as opposed to being reactionary based on a great performance vs one of the worst in the league. They are perhaps looking at the near 2 year contribution and do not believe he merits sticking with but I still found it funny that the poster poured water over his performance today

TheReligion

Abusive
I burst out laughing at the timing and directness of their post but at the same time I respect more a person who is firm in their belief by assessing his time here as a whole as opposed to being reactionary based on a great performance vs one of the worst in the league. They are perhaps looking at the near 2 year contribution and do not believe he merits sticking with but I still found it funny that the poster poured water over his performance today
I mean I find it very weird to log on the Caf straight after United win, then head to the player performance thread of a player who has played well and go all in on them based on historic performances..

Man Utd 2:2 Sevilla

Zoo

Patience is running very thin now. If he was more direct and brave we probably get that third goal or more.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Don’t care how many decent performances he puts in against nothing teams like Everton…he’s feckin crap

NK86

Tired of him now. It's no longer a confidence thing, some people just don't have the mettle to perform at the biggest stages. Time to cut our losses and get someone who can really give Rashford competition.

zaafi

Close to the best paid player in Premier League, when he should be the least paid. 1000 pound a week would be sufficient.

Dannn411

Either his contract is restructured with a massive cut in wages or he should be shipped off this summer. This is a disastrous signing in every sense of the word.

NK86

Close to the best paid player in Premier League, when he should be the least paid. 1000 pound a week would be sufficient.
Another Judge and Woody masterclass. Paying him 350k was perhaps one of the most baffling decisions. Will be nearly impossible to get rid of him at those wages unless we massively subsidise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.