5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good news.
Lawrence being part of the 40 man Welsh squad... Maybe he'll impress van Gaal. :angel:

Robbie Boy

Serious question; why is there always hassle with our young players and contracts? Is there a rule for contrast length etc with youth players?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Serious question; why is there always hassle with our young players and contracts? Is there a rule for contrast length etc with youth players?
Yes it's the same with every english club. You can sign professionally at 16 but can only offer a small length contract.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's basically this.

At 16- they can sign a pro contract but for maximum of 3 years.
At 18- Whatever the feck they feel like.

MarcRed96

Really hope Wilson signs a new deal as soon as possible. I'd like to see him get more chances here next season or go out on loan at least.

It's a shame we're unlikely to qualify for the Europa League as we could've given the likes of Wilson game time there, at least in the group stage, whilst saving the senior players for the league.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But at 18 you can sign for as long as you like, no?
Yes the rules are more relaxed, it's to stop young players signing up for 6 years and then never playing in the first teams, by 22 their chace
Really hope Wilson signs a new deal as soon as possible. I'd like to see him get more chances here next season or go out on loan at least.

It's a shame we're unlikely to qualify for the Europa League as we could've given the likes of Wilson game time there, at least in the group stage, whilst saving the senior players for the league.
Pretty sure he will be going nowhere.

You can tell from him talking last night that he seem's very happy and proud, and wants to kick on and get even more first team football.

Next year I would not be surprised if he's our 4th choice or has a year or loan at another prem club.

MarcRed96

Pretty sure he will be going nowhere.

You can tell from him talking last night that he seem's very happy and proud, and wants to kick on and get even more first team football.

Next year I would not be surprised if he's our 4th choice or has a year or loan at another prem club.
I'd definitely prefer it if he stayed here. It'd probably be the best for his development, as long as he got the game time he needs.

If Hernandez leaves, which I think he will, then I reckon Wilson will stay put here and make a good few first team appearances next season. I'd love to see him kick on like Januzaj has this year.

Devil may care

I only saw the highlights but he showed great box instincts and scored one with either foot, great start and he has a confident air about him.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
It's good to see another young talent emerge from the youths. He's done very well against Hull and showed great a great strikers instinct. It'll be great to see him get a long term contract at this club and get plenty of chances. The most important thing though is for him to take it one game at a time, keep working hard in training, listen to those who have been there before him and most of all, ignore the media hype. There's plenty to work on but he's making a great start.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It's basically this.

At 16- they can sign a pro contract but for maximum of 3 years.
At 18- Whatever the feck they feel like.
No it's not…

At 15/16 they are offered a scholarship. The club usually uses a range of offers depending on how well they thing the player will progress. As most players don't make the grade many clubs are pretty conservative unless someone is clearly outstanding. This is sometimes hard to tell or the player is having trouble with injuries or other factors.

Here are a few examples:

One year Scholarship (1+0)
Two year Scholarship (2+0)
Three year Scholarship (3+0)
One year Scholarship plus one year Pro deal (1+1)
One year Scholarship plus two year Pro deal (1+2)

And so on…

When we sign a young talent from another club at 15 yo we might offer a 2+2 in a bid to attract the player, guarantee them a Pro deal to ward off competition from other clubs.

So as a further example, one player might be offered a one-year Scholarship and does OK in his first year. He might then be offered further one-year deal. He does OK and has now turned 17. We might still not offer a Pro contract because we are not certain he will make it. So he is offered a further one-year Scholarship. Other players are released after the first or second year because the club decides they won't make it.

Someone like Andreas Pereira might have been offered a 2+2 so he is on a Scholarship for two years, then signs a two-year Pro deal when he turns 17…the legal age. Which means he is out of contract when he turns 19.

Many agents suggest that young players sign short-term deals to start with. The club also prefers this, again to see how the players progress. The club also takes risks that the name of Manchester United, playing with great players, the youth history etc will entice youngsters to stay without committing to long contracts.

To be fair to the club, I wouldn't want everyone on five year deals…the backlog of players would be horrendous and most would need to go on loan to get games.

I understand that 90% of this seasons U/18's have been offered one-year Pro deals and most will probably sign it. However, on occasions, for a range of reasons, some players turn down the deal and move on.

It also comes down to the club finances and how much budget they have for youth contracts.

I don't know the specifics with James Wilson, but he signed as a Pro when he was 17 which suggests it was a two-year deal.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Cheers man. Didn't had any idea of this 2+2 stuff.

pseudo_canadian

Appears he and Powell are injured because they're both not on the tour and weren't on the roster for the Reserves' first preseason game.

I think Wilson should be loaned to a top Championship side or even a lower-side in the PL if van Gaal decides to hold on to Chich. If not, I would love to see him as the fourth striker for the first team and get some game-time here and there throughout the season.

Getsme

Appears he and Powell are injured because they're both not on the tour and weren't on the roster for the Reserves' first preseason game.

I think Wilson should be loaned to a top Championship side or even a lower-side in the PL if van Gaal decides to hold on to Chich. If not, I would love to see him as the fourth striker for the first team and get some game-time here and there throughout the season.
Personally I think Wilson has a chance with us this season, sending players out on loan can have both negative and positive effect, with Wilson being close to the first team I see no reason to send him out on loan.
He has the ability to become a regular this season, most likely as a sub, he's an exciting prospect, I believe/hope Van gaal will keep him at the club this season.

itso 7

I think we should allow Chicharito to leave and give his spot to Wilson because Hernandez deserves better than being a fourth choice striker and I think Wilson will benefit more from training alongside, playing with and learning from world class strikers like Van Persie and Rooney under Van Gaal's watch than he would from playing alongside average players in the Championship and a manager who is likely to deny him games should he fail to hit the ground running.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Personally I think Wilson has a chance with us this season, sending players out on loan can have both negative and positive effect, with Wilson being close to the first team I see no reason to send him out on loan.
He has the ability to become a regular this season, most likely as a sub, he's an exciting prospect, I believe/hope Van gaal will keep him at the club this season.
I think it all comes down to Hernandez's future. I would rather he gets some experience on loan in the championship and get used to the physical nature of the English game, he looks a bit frail tbh. We aren't in Europe as well meaning less games to rotate players. Let's see what LVG makes of Welbeck and Hernandez first. I would prefer it if we keep Hernandez due to his reliable goalscoring record and the impact he can have on certain games. Whatever his limitations, his goalscoring record ain't one(as long as he is given minutes of course).

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He ended last season injured and he starts this one in similar fashion. I doubt he's physically ready for the rigor of a Championship loan. We should keep him here, manage his fitness and physical development properly, let him train with the first team and give him whatever game time we can.

Last edited:

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I am sure Giggs must have spoken highly about likes of Wilson, Lawrence, Lingard etc to LvG so pretty sure Van Gaal will have a good look at them. Particularly for Wilson, his next season involvement depends on Chicharito's future. If Chicharito somehow ends up staying then both Wilson and Keane should go on loan and to clubs who will utilize them properly. If Hernandez leaves then I hope we keep one of Keane ad Wilson with the squad and send other on loan.

jb8521

I think he'll stay at least until January so that the club can properly manage his injury problems and so he can get used to Van Gaals training methods and philosophy

LR7

I think he'll stay at least until January so that the club can properly manage his injury problems and so he can get used to Van Gaals training methods and philosophy
Sounds like the best idea really. Hope it's just little niggles and nothing too serious.

Brightonian

Sounds like the best idea really. Hope it's just little niggles and nothing too serious.
It should be. It all seems to be the result of his being horribly overused last season because of the lack of strikers in the youth setup at the moment. He was playing through injury in the latter stages. Which is always a truly daft thing to do with a youngster.

khoazany

It should be. It all seems to be the result of his being horribly overused last season because of the lack of strikers in the youth setup at the moment. He was playing through injury in the latter stages. Which is always a truly daft thing to do with a youngster.
Hopefully Fletcher can share his duty this season - although I still think Fletcher's best position is second striker.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He's been a bit injury-prone since he first arrived on the MUTV scene at 15 and his ankle still seems a bit dodgy after he fractured it a couple of years ago, so I don't think last season's woes were all down to overuse.

ghagua

Wilson is not injured, he played for the reserves against Bray Wonderers. I think he was left out of the tour because we are well covered in that area and Van Gaal wanted to give the experienced/older players a go.

jb8521

He has been injured. I was at the match yesterday and he didn't look anywhere close to fitness

khoazany

If he could back to full fitness on time I can see him involved in the last pre-season match vs. Valencia.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
If he could back to full fitness on time I can see him involved in the last pre-season match vs. Valencia.
That close to the season, I would think van Gaal would be going with who he thinks will be involved the following week against Swansea. Could feature on the bench though I guess but I would doubt it.

khoazany

That close to the season, I would think van Gaal would be going with who he thinks will be involved the following week against Swansea. Could feature on the bench though I guess but I would doubt it.
Yeah I mean on the bench I think we'll likely bring quite a big squad since it's not a best idea to let key players play 80-90 min just a few days before our first match.

LonelyFire

Wilson is not injured, he played for the reserves against Bray Wonderers. I think he was left out of the tour because we are well covered in that area and Van Gaal wanted to give the experienced/older players a go.
As others have pointed out - Wilson was injured and is nowehere near match fitness.

ThanksBoss26

This lad might be the reason we let Hernandez and/or Zaha go.

James Wilson for the reserves tonight.

pseudo_canadian

This lad might be the reason we let Hernandez and/or Zaha go.

James Wilson for the reserves tonight.

Fantastic goal. Said it before and I'll say it again, he should be the new fourth striker for the first team. Especially if Hernandez is let go, because I think this kid should be getting some game time for the first team or loaned out to a PL or top Championship side.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
:drool:

Hopefully he gets more first team chances this season.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Really hope he gets a chance against Valencia.

ThanksBoss26

Normally I'm all in favour of young players getting some experience out on loan but I think we should keep this one with us for the time being. He might get first team chances at some point soon.