2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Trizy

RvP needs a serious kick up the backside, sick of seeing him mope around the pitch barely contributing any decent performances. I agree that we should give Wilson a go but we'd have to play the ball on the deck, as Palace have Hangelaand and Dann as CB's we wouldn't win much in the air.
I thought the same until I saw Gary Neville's piece on his movement, give it a look on youtube.

However I'd love to see Wilson given a go, I rate him massively and he has the legs to press up top with benefits us a lot more. Plus he has the pace to run onto a long through ball.

Steven Seagull

We've got a huge amount to lose so not sure why people are saying we haven't.

There's a risk that we could see Wilson drift through the first 60 minutes making no impact on the game at all, in the way Hernandez did at times when he started. RVP has looked sharper in his last 2 games and Wilson should be used as he has been so far imo (unless they're starting together and we're going back to a diamond)

ZDwyr

There's a risk that we could see Wilson drift through the first 60 minutes making no impact on the game at all, in the way Hernandez did at times when he started. RVP has looked sharper in his last 2 games and Wilson should be used as he has been so far imo (unless they're starting together and we're going back to a diamond)
This is very true. We need to start collecting points now. Performances have been improving (I think) but we can't take any risks. If Wilson starts and is poor and we drop points then there will be some backlash.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
In current form we need to create chances for RVP to score goals. He's not looking a threat outside the box. I can think of 2-3 times RVP's missed a one on one this season. We see people saying the risk is he might not make an impact...well we've seen RVP have games like that too. If you wait to long, you risk a play stagnating. I don't think we should fear giving a player a chance. Wilson isn't as strong as RVP but his movement currently is superior - that last goal in the reserves is a great example. If we create chances, he will score goals because his technique is very good, he's single minded and he's composed. Would have no problem him playing at all. He could pick up a knock but so can every player. We know that more then most. But if we create chances, he'll score.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
In current form we need to create chances for RVP to score goals. He's not looking a threat outside the box. I can think of 2-3 times RVP's missed a one on one this season. We see people saying the risk is he might not make an impact...well we've seen RVP have games like that too. If you wait to long, you risk a play stagnating. I don't think we should fear giving a player a chance. Wilson isn't as strong as RVP but his movement currently is superior - that last goal in the reserves is a great example. If we create chances, he will score goals because his technique is very good, he's single minded and he's composed. Would have no problem him playing at all. He could pick up a knock but so can every player. We know that more then most. But if we create chances, he'll score.
If Wilson is doing better in training and Van Gaal basically feels it's his time, he should start ahead of Van Persie. It's a decision I feel you can trust him with. The bolded part makes me very curious however, because apparently RVP didn't play against Chelsea. And Chelsea aren't the best team in the league. And Van Persie wasn't that guy with #20 making brilliant runs that game, being our only real goal threat because of his movement. Or what I actually mean is that if you really feel that Wilsons movement is superior and you're point to prove it is a goal for the reservers, well, that's not good.

Looking back at the last matches we played, RVP actually looked better the moment we played with another striker and wasn't isolated alone on top. He scored vs. Chelsea when Wilson had come on. He hit the inside of the post vs. WBA after Falcao had come on. His other two goals were assisted by Falcao. Van Gaal knows this, and if it were 11 vs 11 in the City match we would've brought Wilson on for a defender or midfielder because we were 1-0 down. And I feel that substituting RVP for Wilson in the City game is the whole reason for this debate, leaving me a little sceptical.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think it's pretty natural that United supporters are excited to see a top young prospect. Especially with our history of developing talent, it's something even more special at United. Not to mention how hard it is to come right into the first team from the reserves.

Van Persie has looked okay, for him, but not like he did in his first season for us.

That may not add up to Wilson being the better option, but it's understandable.

In Rainbows

Wilson doesn't rely on service the same way Chicha does. Wilson is able to score great individual goals and can link up play very well.

itso 7

As much as I would like to drop Van Persie I can't say I disagree with any of that. We could go back to the diamond and play Rooney at the tip with Van Persie and Wilson as strikers, it's certainly less risky than giving him his first start this season on his own since Rooney will predictably drift.

Getsme

He could also have the game of his life that catapults him into the first team and we never look back.
We have to take a chance on him sometime, I agree that RVP has looked better in the last couple of games but he's still nowhere near the level he once was. We need fresh ideas and we might be able to get that through Wilson.

Kakeru

Wilson doesn't rely on service the same way Chicha does. Wilson is able to score great individual goals and can link up play very well.
Exactly what we need. Our strikers need to be able to rely on their own abilities nowadays; he sure can do it.

Steven Seagull

We don't have to take a chance on him. Why are people so impatient with throwing kids in and giving them the big stage to impress? Let them get their gradually. We don't have to throw an 18 year old onto the starting line up ahead of Rooney and Van Persie just to see what he can do.

Yeah in the under 21's. Fitness permitting we'd be absolutely mental to start Wilson over the other 2 strikers at the moment.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
We don't have to take a chance on him. Why are people so impatient with throwing kids in and giving them the big stage to impress? Let them get their gradually. We don't have to throw an 18 year old onto the starting line up ahead of Rooney and Van Persie just to see what he can do.

Yeah in the under 21's. Fitness permitting we'd be absolutely mental to start Wilson over the other 2 strikers at the moment.
So when they're older, lets say 21 you just throw them in all of a sudden? It's best for youngsters to have a sniff in the first team and lead them gradually to a first team player, Rooney is not a striker in LVG's eyes, Falcao is injured, so why not?

Steven Seagull

So when they're older, lets say 21 you just throw them in all of a sudden? It's best for youngsters to have a sniff in the first team and lead them gradually to a first team player, Rooney is not a striker in LVG's eyes, Falcao is injured, so why not?
No. I've clearly just said they should be introduced gradually. Wilson has played about 45 minutes in the league this season so I doubt he's 100% match fit. This is a must win game and RVP has looked better in the last two weeks.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
No. I've clearly just said they should be introduced gradually. Wilson has played about 45 minutes in the league this season so I doubt he's 100% match fit. This is a must win game and RVP has looked better in the last two weeks.
He has played enough in u21, he wont last 90 minutes but we could get 60 minutes out of him. And you do know that we can play him up top with RVP right?

khoazany

So you don't know how we keep players who don't play much in the PL match fit?Well there is something called the U21s league.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

He wouldn't be starting over Rooney and RVP since most people are implying Rooney would play. With Falcao injured, what if we play RVP and he picked up an injury? We would have to play Wilson then wouldn't we. Wouldn't you feel all warm in side knowing RVP was on the bench if Rooney and Wilson got injured? In addition to that, he's playing in the under 21's because he's 18. He might very well go on to become better then both of those players. The fact is, you think it would be absolutely mental and yet not one of us saw training ....so if LVG selects him..then LVG would be mental. It takes a bit of imagination. Giving Messi his debut or a young Giggs. Selling Becks and then Ronaldo comes in and with Oles injury problems, is trusted week in week out and guess what! He's not perfect but it works out. Wilson is a finisher and deserves a chance and it's stupid to deny it just because he's young.

Robin has missed three one on ones this season. So could be doing better.

Steven Seagull

He has played enough in u21, he wont last 90 minutes but we could get 60 minutes out of him. And you do know that we can play him up top with RVP right?
Yes. As I stated in an earlier post it makes more sense if he's got a partner but a lot of people have implied its him instead of RVP.

So you don't know how we keep players who don't play much in the PL match fit?Well there is something called the U21s league.
What's that then?

Steven Seagull

He wouldn't be starting over Rooney and RVP since most people are implying Rooney would play. With Falcao injured, what if we play RVP and he picked up an injury? We would have to play Wilson then wouldn't we. Wouldn't you feel all warm in side knowing RVP was on the bench if Rooney and Wilson got injured? In addition to that, he's playing in the under 21's because he's 18. He might very well go on to become better then both of those players. The fact is, you think it would be absolutely mental and yet not one of us saw training ....so if LVG selects him..then LVG would be mental. It takes a bit of imagination. Giving Messi his debut or a young Giggs. Selling Becks and then Ronaldo comes in and with Oles injury problems, is trusted week in week out and guess what! He's not perfect but it works out. Wilson is a finisher and deserves a chance and it's stupid to deny it just because he's young.

Robin has missed three one on ones this season. So could be doing better.
I'm not denying him because he's young, it's because he's not as good as RVP and we have to win tomorrow.

Not sure what you're talking about regards to leaving RVP on the bench in case he gets injured on the pitch and we have to play Wilson. Of course we'd have to play Ailson then, but at the moment we don't.

Again I'll say that starting the both of them makes more sense. Not Wilson ahead of either of them though, for me. Not yet.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Any reason why Fellaini is dropped? He's been in our top 3 players for our last three matches

EDIT: I don't mind the team though. If Wilson does play I'd like him to have someone up there with him.
The only place I'd have him in the diamond would be AM, but then I'd much prefer Mata or Rooney there. I don't think he's suited to play RCM, and Herrera is better generally. I also haven't been as impressed as most with Fellaini in recent games.

In Rainbows

How is this showing impatience? No one is asking to start him every week. How many starts do you think he'll even get this season? Not very much when Falcao comes back. Giving him a start every now and then, some matches from the bench, and playing him in the u21 league is gradually bringing him into the team.

Also whether it's at u21 level or not, he doesn't have bad technique. He can dribble with speed, something our other forwards can't do. He can score with either foot and score long range goals. It's true that he's not absolutely gifted with world class technique like an Ibra, but a striker doesn't need that level of technique to become great. Nor does lacking world class technique mean he doesn't have great technique. He's a striker with a complete skill set. Through time and development he can become deadly at first team level.

Chicha's qualities were what they were. He could play at first team level or u21 level and his qualities would remain the same. He relies on service and has great movement. He was limited, but deadly. Wilson suddenly playing for the first team won't suddenly make him lose his level of technique.

Finally, Rooney isn't competing with him. LVG has already stated that he wants Rooney to play behind the striker(s) and that he wasn't satisfied with him as a striker. I personally would like to see Rooney play up top again, but that is LVG's preference.

Last edited:

Steven Seagull

How is this showing impatience? No one is asking to start him every week. How many starts do you think he'll even get this season? Not very much when Falcao comes back. Giving him a start every now and then, some matches from the bench, and playing him in the u21 league is gradually bringing him into the team.
Probably not many but that's the shitty situation we're in due to our pathetic last 18 months. Just think its too much of a risk at this point in the season.

RedStarUnited

I get the feeling Rooney and RVP dont want the kid to prosper. Have they given him even a chance at a shot on goal?

Rooney could and i think should have played him in on that RVP chance.

khoazany

I get the feeling Rooney and RVP dont want the kid to prosper. Have they given him even a chance at a shot on goal?

Rooney could and i think should have played him in on that RVP chance.
There was another chance that Wilson was in a very good position and Rooney just decided to fire it wide.

RedStarUnited

There was another chance that Wilson was in a very good position and Rooney just decided to fire it wide.
Yep, that one too. a simple pass to Wilson and he has the whole goal to aim at.
Rooney tried curling it around a player instead.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yeah right at the end of the match Rooney should have laid it off. I think van Persie being poor so far and Rooney not really firing home either that when they even get half a chance they are going to be a bit selfish to try and get it going for them.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
The guy has unbelievable acceleration. I honestly think he should be given a start and lets see how he does. Doesn't look likely though

The guy has unbelievable acceleration. I honestly think he should be given a start and lets see how he does. Doesn't look likely though
He looks so eager and that's exactly what we need up front. We haven't provided any real moments for him to show his striking instincts. It's bit's and pieces here and there without any proper chances. Needs more game time but his potential is clearly there.

Last edited:

Kag

He's got himself into the some good positions recently and been ignored by those around him. Both Rooney and Van Persie could have and should have teed him up towards the end.

That turn and run he made was fantastic.