View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Duafc

Village Lemon
Given Falcao's unavailability, Wilson should get more playing time. His pace makes a real difference. Will open up spaces for Rooney and ADM.
Agree, though I think we should just play Rooney up top alone to make room for Herrera, mata and di Maria.

pseudo_canadian

Deserves to start next game. RVP has really looked off it recently. Give the kid a proper go against Hull.

I love his energy when he's on the field.

adamwest

Impressed with what I've seen of him this season in his little cameos. He's rapid and direct with a very good touch. Does remind me a bit of Danny tbh!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Please stop throwing him onto the wing, he looks fantastic up top, I just want to see him there.
He isn't playing on the wing, he's playing up top but pulling out wide to cover the fullback in defence which is exactly what van Persie was doing. Part of the reason van Persie keeps playing is because he knows his job defensively and sticks to it throughout. Wilson's still learning that. So far in his time in the first team he's gone on a couple of decent dribbles and did very little else. He looks promising but I think people are getting a little carried away here.

I definitely think van Persie should be dropped and would love to see Wilson play but don't be surprised if he contributes relatively little if he starts given the football we've played recently.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
You saying Welbeck is bad on the ball? I really rate Welbeck's game outside the box. You think Wilson is better?
He's younger. Wilson's playing out of position but he's a better striker. Time will show that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not the most appropriate comparison there
Big touches and often loses the ball out of bounds. When you receive the ball 5 times in match, losing it out of bounds once is 20% of the time.

Like Welbeck he's a striker played on the wing, for United. It's natural to compare the two. Welbeck is excellent outside the box but he turns into Bambi on ice inside it at times.

Striker10

He isn't playing on the wing, he's playing up top but pulling out wide to cover the fullback in defence which is exactly what van Persie was doing. Part of the reason van Persie keeps playing is because he knows his job defensively and sticks to it throughout. Wilson's still learning that. So far in his time in the first team he's gone on a couple of decent dribbles and did very little else. He looks promising but I think people are getting a little carried away here.

I definitely think van Persie should be dropped and would love to see Wilson play but don't be surprised if he contributes relatively little if he starts given the football we've played recently.
They're talking about Hull and a game at Old Trafford. We should play two strikers and he should be one of them. We could use his pace.

Snow

He's younger. Wilson's playing out of position but he's a better striker. Time will show that.
Welbeck also played out of position a lot. Whether or not he will be better is irrelevant for the next game. RvP is a much better player. Only thing Wilson has over him is pace. He hasn't done anything to warrant a start in a team already with plenty of youngsters starting. His role as of now is fine.

Sweet Square

What do you think that means? You thought I was saying that Wilson is shit?
No I don't but to suggest he's weaker outside the box then Welbeck or more clumsy is true from what I've seen anyway. I agree that Welbeck is good outside the box and it's he's main strength but there isn't anything Wilson couldn't do.

Having Wilson in your team instead Welbeck wouldn't really change your teams approach or build up in my opinion.

Sam

I'm really not seeing a defensive contribution from Van Persie at all, he's a passenger.

Devil may care

I liked the maturity he showed at the end where he got into space down the right but then held it up to try and eat up time instead of randomly crossing it into the box. He should start vs Hull.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nice cameo. But still not ready for the responsibilities that come with being a starter. There is no rush and we have proper world class talent up front not to put such pressure on a teenager.

Snow

No I don't but to suggest he's weaker outside the box then Welbeck or more clumsy is true from what I've seen anyway. I agree that Welbeck is good outside the box and it's he's main strength but there isn't anything Wilson couldn't do.

Having Wilson in your team instead Welbeck wouldn't really change your teams approach or build up in my opinion.
I didn't want to say he's a lesser version because he's younger. But to me he is a bit clumsy. Has a tendency to dribble out of bounds. Not quite sure what to to at times. One time he gave the ball back to McNair instead of just running down the open flank, utilising his pace. Another time he makes that run but the stops instead of keep going on.

He's promising but he shouldn't start when we're playing with one striker. Fine to give him a shot with two up front. Didn't realise we're playing Hull next.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I'm not sure we'll play the diamond again anytime soon. At least whilst our defence is frail.
In that case, same lineup as today but with Wilson in place of RVP. But 5-3-2 might be an overkill against Hull at home, regardless of defense.

SteveW

Di Maria played centrally when Wilson was on the pitch, Wilson was wide. Logic would suggest it should have been the opposite way around. It would certainly have suited Wilson a lot more. His pace up against the back two could have been lethal. Clearly LVG didn't enough faith in Di Maria's defensive work rate to do it. As it happened Di Maria played Rooney in and nearly scored so the decisions was justified I guess.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

The fact that the bold is probably true is testament to how crap RvP has been.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn't mind seeing him start in the diamond beside Rooney next game. At home against Hull, we shouldn't need real 'balance' to play the 4141.

Litch

Great experience today in his development. I've watched this lad in the reserves and his potential is huge.

Getsme

Did more today in 20 minutes than RVP did in the entire game. I’ve no idea what it is with RVP at the moment but he’s currently our weakest link and that’s saying something given the injuries we have.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The kid is fast as shit. Once he broadens out a bit, nobody will be able to get the ball off him.

Glad he's getting minutes here and there, even in very hard games. Shame we haven't seen him on the end of a meaningful chance yet.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Di Maria played centrally when Wilson was on the pitch, Wilson was wide. Logic would suggest it should have been the opposite way around. It would certainly have suited Wilson a lot more. His pace up against the back two could have been lethal. Clearly LVG didn't enough faith in Di Maria's defensive work rate to do it. As it happened Di Maria played Rooney in and nearly scored so the decisions was justified I guess.
Di Maria played centrally the whole game alongside van Persie because of his threat on the break. The way it worked was when we had possession it was Rooney in behind a front two of van Persie and Di Maria and out of possession the two forwards split to cover the fullbacks while Rooney stayed in the middle. I don't think that really changed at any point in the game. You just saw more of Wilson back in front of Valencia more often because the fullbacks were pushing on more at that point. It wasn't a case of him being brought on to do a specific job to compensate for anyone else - he just played the strikers' role in exactly the same way every other striker has played there in the 352. Di Maria was still pulling out wide left past the 90th minute to track Chambers most of the way.

Di Maria played centrally because he's one of the best players in the world on the counter attack and he showed that again today with the chance he set up for Rooney after dribbling from the halfway line, the ball he played through to Rooney for a one on one which was incorrectly called offside and of course his assist for the goal. Wilson has shown nothing so far to suggest he could contribute that kind of threat on the counter. Having pace is important on the counter attack but what's far more important is making the right runs, playing the right passes and making the correct decisions. Wilson is talented but decision-making is something he'll develop as he matures and he has a long way to go before he comes close to possessing Di Maria's counter-attacking threat.

The fact that the bold is probably true is testament to how crap RvP has been.
Definitely true to an extent but because van Persie's been so frustrating this season his contribution game-on-game is a teeny bit overlooked while Wilson's is exaggerated because he's a new kid on the block (and because everyone loves a dribbler). I agree he deserves a shot against a weaker team but I just think the level of service our strikers have been getting recently is pretty pathetic so it's easy to blame the out-of-form striker.

Striker10

Welbeck also played out of position a lot. Whether or not he will be better is irrelevant for the next game. RvP is a much better player. Only thing Wilson has over him is pace. He hasn't done anything to warrant a start in a team already with plenty of youngsters starting. His role as of now is fine.
I would agree with you if RVP was in form or even if Falcao was fit. Welbeck was played out of position a lot but he's too hit and miss unlike Wilson.

justboy68

I love his pace and the fact that he is extremely comfortable running with the ball for a goalscoring centre forward. Why does he seem to play at right back when he comes on in these cameos though?

Getsme

Im probably more excited about this kid than any signing we made in the summer.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wilson is good. And with regular time, I can see him getting goals. He has everything a striker needs.

I hope that he starts next game. Van Persie has been poor this season and I doubt that Falcao will start next game, regardless that he'll return (Van Gaal wants his players to be super fit). Time for Wilson to have a chance to shine.

marlowe78

He honestly hasn't done very much but we look much more dangerous when he takes part in the runs. I would certainly start him against Hull, especially that he had the good match against them last year.

DFreshKing

He seems to have that magic quality of vision and football intelligence. Has a calmness way beyond his years or experience level.

I think he has it in him be an absolute world beater - more excited about him than any other teenager.

Acole9

Outstanding
Surely he'll be starting soon if RVP continues this rut he's in and Falcao is still injured.

ZDwyr

Agree with all here. Should get a start. Once he gets his stride going he looks very quick. Actually looks like he wants to put in some effort too, unlike RvP.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He seems to have that magic quality of vision and football intelligence. Has a calmness way beyond his years or experience level.

I think he has it in him be an absolute world beater - more excited about him than any other teenager.
I like his arrogance. Swans on to the pitch looking cool as a cucumber and looks super composed every time he gets the ball.