2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Jammydodger7

He must be wondering what he has to do to start a game, playing with RVP is like playing with 10 men at the moment.

Minimalist

First time I would agree, we need to see what Wilson starting does for our attacking play.

That said, RVP again got next to nothing in terms of service yesterday.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
At this point I would like to see the kid be given the chance over RVP. He at least gives us movement up top, and he has shown glimpses of potential in his limited game time so far.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm not having a go at him but he's done nothing to warrant a starting place over Mata, who won us 3 points last week. I mean, I'd be happy if he does start, as I love seeing academy players being given a proper chance, but I'm not ready to say he's "deserved it" and "must" start.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't think anyone would say he 'must' start but if he were to start I believe he would be fully deserving of it, having impressed in training, the reserves games, and in his limited chances on the pitch.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Is he the least nervous person in the world? If he had gone into business instead of football, he'd probably go on to run a massive corporation or something. Mighty impressive for such a young lad.
Very self assured.. but then again so was Kiko Macheda. He's a darn sight superior to Kiko though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Wilson seems like he can better handle being isolated up front than van Persie would be. Given how often van Persie's been isolated up front in the last few matches, I'm not surprised that he's been ineffective. Wilson's more used to being isolated up front than van Persie is, who's always at his best when he has support around him. Even in the U-21's, when our midfielders were too deep in certain matches last season, Wilson did a very good job by himself up front, continuously causing problems to the opposing defenders with his movement, pace, and energy. His dribbling's also fine and is needed when he's isolated and without much support.

van Gaal continuously giving him chances means that he rates Wilson. I won't be surprised if, in the near future, he'll give Wilson his shot whilst moving Falcao and/or van Persie on.

Dante

Average bang
Wilson has pace, but does he have strength? He looks a bit too weak to be able to cope with playing as a lone striker in the PL imo. I'd want to see him with another striker alongside him if he's going to start a match.

ThanksBoss26

Wilson seems like he can better handle being isolated up front than van Persie would be. Given how often van Persie's been isolated up front in the last few matches, I'm not surprised that he's been ineffective. Wilson's more used to being isolated up front than van Persie is, who's always at his best when he has support around him. Even in the U-21's, when our midfielders were too deep in certain matches last season, Wilson did a very good job by himself up front, continuously causing problems to the opposing defenders with his movement, pace, and energy. His dribbling's also fine and is needed when he's isolated and without much support.

van Gaal continuously giving him chances means that he rates Wilson. I won't be surprised if, in the near future, he'll give Wilson his shot whilst moving Falcao and/or van Persie on.
Agreed. It's not just any old games he's putting him on in either. He's come on against Everton, Chelsea, City and Arsenal now, twice even when we've been defending a narrow lead and the easy option would've been to go for someone more experienced.

Van Gaal clearly rates him and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a further step up to regular in the next year or so. I think Wilson is a big reason behind the decision to sell Welbeck.

Brightonian

Very self assured.. but then again so was Kiko Macheda. He's a darn sight superior to Kiko though.
Plus Kiko was sort of cocky, whereas Wilson's just quietly unflappable. He doesn't act massively confident off the pitch, he just shows it by rarely missing an opportunity when he's on the pitch.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Promising young player, but can't quite shake the suspicion that much like Januzaj, he's developing a small legion of fanboys who are already inflating him to be something more than he is - which is a promising youth player.

Brightonian

In terms of styles, he and Rooney ought to make an excellent partnership on paper. He'd provide everything which RVP is so egregiously lacking at the moment.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
In terms of styles, he and Rooney ought to make an excellent partnership on paper. He'd provide everything which RVP is so egregiously lacking at the moment.
Rooney works well with every strike partner, to be honest, from big, strong target men to false 9's like him.

What I like about Wilson is that he isn't just a poacher. He's more than that and has shown more in his locker than players like Kiko did. He's also very mature and confident, and this should help him when he continues to develop his game.

FromTheBench

Think it has more to do with RVP being close to useless this season in this situation.
Yep, it's tough to see what worse he can do to RVP right now anyway.

While LVG doesn't seem to like Mata as #10 and Mata had his chance with Rooney out. Didn't take it.

Brightonian

Rooney works well with every strike partner, to be honest, from big, strong target men to false 9's like him.
True. It's possibly his strongest asset but maybe also the reason why he's never quite been seen as a standout global talent - because he always tends to bend his game to whoever his partner is (RVN, Ronaldo, RVP etc), whereas the top strikers force managers to build teams around them. It's a rare quality in a top player though, and it's been crucial to our success throughout his career here.

pascell

It's a tough one, he's definitely ready for a start and would give us a different type of attacking outlet. On the other hand, we desperately need to get RvP a goal and get him firing and in form.

Jacob

Did I miss something last night? Did he do anything special cause I can't remember? I rather start Mata than Wilson at the moment, and shift Rooney to striker.

Brightonian

It's a tough one, he's definitely ready for a start and would give us a different type of attacking outlet. On the other hand, we desperately need to get RvP a goal and get him firing and in form.
The problem is that he's had three or four games now to try and play himself into form, and it's not happening. The whole point of having other quality options (Mata, Rooney alone up front, Wilson, Falcao when he gets fit) is that we don't have to persist indefinitely when a player loses form.

And he's getting on a bit now, so it could be that a break is exactly what he needs. One of the biggest problems at the moment is the lack of energy he's bringing to games, so maybe he needs to recharge the batteries a bit.

MUFC > Everyone

I agree that Wilson should be given a chance over RVP, but can we calm down with how well he's done when he came on? Overall, yes he did more in 15 min than van Persie did in 75, but consider that he was fresh off the bench and ran around against tired Arsenal players who were running up and down the field for the last 20 minutes trying to tie the game! His dribbling also did not look very good and it seemed he was kicking the ball and running after it rather than making the ball do what he wanted it to (Januzaj, imo, has the control of a young player that Wilson seems to lack).
Overall, Wilson did great, but it was partly due to the fact that he was fresh and Arsenal were exhausted, not because he manhandled the defense.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
First time I would agree, we need to see what Wilson starting does for our attacking play.

That said, RVP again got next to nothing in terms of service yesterday.

I'm tired of people using this as an excuse because RVP is failing and is in a blatent decline,

all the worlds top strikers make their own luck by beating their man with pace, beating their man with a dribble, getting themselves into goal scoring positions and if they get a chance they'll take it. RVP used to have these attributes but for some reason he has lost everything that made him good and now he's a hindrance more than an asset.

Wilson has been scoring for fun in the reserves therefore for the next 2 games which honestly we should be winning wilson should be starting ahead of RVP and we can see what he can do, who knows maybe the rest will do RVP good too.

Donut

Promising young player, but can't quite shake the suspicion that much like Januzaj, he's developing a small legion of fanboys who are already inflating him to be something more than he is - which is a promising youth player.
Januzaj is a lot more than just a "promising young player".

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's hard to tell re Herrera as he was first choice until the injury. I think at present I'd prefer him there then Mata as he's a bit more dynamic.

Mata, though putting up good stats, doesn't seem to fit in with the speed of game LvG is looking to implement.
Then again dirk Kuyt was key in his dutch team so that prob says more about LVG

Minimalist

I'm tired of people using this as an excuse because RVP is failing and is in a blatent decline,

all the worlds top strikers make their own luck by beating their man with pace, beating their man with a dribble, getting themselves into goal scoring positions and if they get a chance they'll take it. RVP used to have these attributes but for some reason he has lost everything that made him good and now he's a hindrance more than an asset.

Wilson has been scoring for fun in the reserves therefore for the next 2 games which honestly we should be winning wilson should be starting ahead of RVP and we can see what he can do, who knows maybe the rest will do RVP good too.
Don't be silly. Van Persie was never known for his pace or dribbling. He has been in decent positions and has hit the shot straight at the keeper a few times. He's out of form, not declining dramatically. He'll play top level football until he's 35, I have no worries about that.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Seems very cool under pressure and holds the ball up brilliantly, distributes it well and has good pace... What's his shooting/heading (scoring) ability like?

FromTheBench

Seems very cool under pressure and holds the ball up brilliantly, distributes it well and has good pace... What's his shooting/heading (scoring) ability like?
His shooting with his left foot is his best ability probably. Can score from virtually any position and always seems to know his angles.

Heading is accurate and he has a decent leap but due to his frame and physique more limited right now.