2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Jev

Needs to show something today. Surprised he starts, I haven't been impressed yet. Hopefully he grabs the chance this time.

Brightonian

If he gets service, I have absolutely no doubt he'll have a good game. Those criticising him most heavily are those who haven't really watched him that much and don't know what he's about.

My big worry is that with so many midfielders on the pitch Liverpool will choke off all supply lines and he and RVP won't get enough of the ball.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
If he gets service, I have absolutely no doubt he'll have a good game. Those criticising him most heavily are those who haven't really watched him that much and don't know what he's about.

My big worry is that with so many midfielders on the pitch Liverpool will choke off all supply lines and he and RVP won't get enough of the ball.
I wonder if Wilson gives us an easier out through a packed midfield, as you can knock it over the top for him to run on to. Falcao and RVP can only offer trying to hold it up with strength.

Man Utd 3:0 Liverpool

El B

What is the point in a James Wilson?
He's pretending to be anonymous so he can appear out of nowhere and score a screamer? That's the plan, isn't it?

DevilRed

Not really gotten into the match at all. Partly because our service to the frontline has been nonexistent.

He is trying hard but looks slightly out of his depth so far. Should be hauled off for Falcao/Januzaj etc. at some point.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What is the point in a James Wilson?
He's pretending to be anonymous so he can appear out of nowhere and score a screamer? That's the plan, isn't it?
He's stretching their defence a wee bit. It's not like van Persie is pulling trees either. We spent too much time having Fellaini and Young backpass in our field to get the ball to them.

ottosec

Not involved so far, but it's the same with Mata and RVP, so it's not really his fault.

kps88

I don't expect anything of him when he's playing in such a broken system.

El B

Not really gotten into the match at all. Partly because our service to the frontline has been nonexistent.

He is trying hard but looks slightly out of his depth so far. Should be hauled off for Falcao/Januzaj etc. at some point.
Oh aye, the service has been awful. Other than attacking down the wings we've nothing coming forward.
It'd almost be better taking him off for another midfielder, like you said Januzaj maybe?

It's not solely his fault but he does look out of his depth.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I don't think he looks out of his depth really. It's a classic striker performance in a team that does nothing to set him up. Can't see the runs he most likely makes on TV, so it's impossible to actually comment on his performance.

Jev

Can anyone see what this guy is actually good at except from running fast? I wish I could see it but I just can't.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Will struggle if there's no space. I feel for him a bit because at the youth levels, the teams pass the ball better. Very rarely do you see this kind of shit. Until we pass the ball properly or have consistent width, it's going to be tough because we're not going to create chances. Will do him good in the long run.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its the usual bollocks around here. People hype the youngsters up then roll into their threads to talk about how disappointing they are.

Wilson did fine today. He will develop into a very good player over time.

krazyrobus

He did what you expect of someone feeding off table scraps and not playing to his game, same way Falcao was constantly making forward runs off defensive the lines and was only picked up twice.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Difficult game for him today and wasn't really involved. He should rather come on and hurt other teams with his pace. He's young, talented and has all the time

Sam

Felt a bit sorry for him. He's not gonna suit a 3-5-2 with the way we played it today.

Ran him bollocks off for the team though, which was great to see.

Golden Nugget

From what I can see, the players just don't give it to him - when they do, they play it miles ahead of him and he can't get to it. Not great a great game but it don't think he can't be blamed too much.

khoazany

Its the usual bollocks around here. People hype the youngsters up then roll into their threads to talk about how disappointing they are.

Wilson did fine today. He will develop into a very good player over time.
Tbf there wasn't much talk around about Wilson being a disappointment in this thread (although I'm sure there're plethora of them in the match day thread).

He need to stick to the wing more to get more ball the way Van Persie did.With his current physicality he's not gonna win any header inside the box so he need to get the ball from deep or wing and run with it if he want to have chance to shoot in those tight matches.Though with how Falcao played when he came on I think Wilson will start the next match.

Mister_Stubbs

Did nothing spectacular but nothing wrong either, he had moments of class and also looked like a player who wasn't phased by the size of the game.

Smores

Never seen him in the u21 so not sure what he's about but I think we need to stick to him playing in the FA cup and against weaker opposition.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Really pleased for him, the lad just doesn't seem fazed at all. Days like today, academy kid playing against the club's greatest historical rival are what the club is all about and will speed up his maturation curve. Important thing now is to be realistic with our expectations - hoping for a youngster to step up, fully express his range of talents and and perform brilliantly vs Liverpool in his 3rd start as a first team player is a bit unfair. He will take his time, have some teething issues, make a few inexplicable errors along the way, hopefully learn from them, have some patches of poor form but that's all perfectly natural, every footballer goes through that.

The management must now do everything in their means to preserve young Wilson instead of throwing him to the wolves week in and week out, figuratively speaking and that's where Giggsy, who was a prodigy once too comes into the picture. We must be extremely careful with him, Januzaj and McNair (great gesture by Van Gaal TBF with the sub) and bring them along gradually, or risk physical and mental exhaustion because we are not talking about normal circumstances. Playing for an elite side like United or Madrid or Bayern at age 18 or 19, with massive expectation levels and media scrutiny can be extremely daunting and something a lot of us can't relate with, hence the disproportionate criticism.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He is quick isn't he? Kept up with Sterling, unfortunately we don't seem setup to take advantage of that pace, seems to be in the team to cover for Di Maria's work rate.

ricky-romeo

From what I can see, the players just don't give it to him - when they do, they play it miles ahead of him and he can't get to it. Not great a great game but it don't think he can't be blamed too much.
yup. didn't have much of the ball today. a very difficult game for him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Didn't have much ball time but we never seem to get our forwards involved much. Absolute workhorse and I love that. I think he did a good job of making runs to open up some space for van Persie and others. He helps stretch the defence as they have to be aware of his ability to get in behind and track his runs. I remember a few runs he made and should have been played in but no one was spotting him and van Persie especially was favouring looking for a different pass.

JoaquinJoaquin

Worked hard today and it was nice to see but didn't add much overall to the game. Hoping it's not a case of Federico Macheda mark 2 with this guy.

Ekeke

I think the game just panned out differently to how LVG expected it to. He thought we'd have to attack on the break because Liverpool would try and control it, but we had control and therefore few chances to break and score. We did break for RVP's goal but that was one of the only times. So its one thing to put someone in with pace, but its another thing to use that pace. We were unable to get him into the game in that way

Minkaro

Didn't really threaten them in terms of attack, but one thing I did like is how he charged after Sterling after they cleared one of our corners. He caught him as well!