View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I thought he did well, it's the first game I have seen from him where I really felt he was bringing something to the team (rather than being given gametime due to being a youth product etc). Whilst there are complaints about formation, I really couldn't see Wilson doing much for us as a lone striker so 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 is probably what we are left with if we want to see Wilson.

That said, after Januzaj last year I would be more willing to see a 4-3-3 to accommodate Januzaj, than a 4-4-2 for Wilson.

I certainly didn't consider Wilson for MotM today. I didn't think anyone really had a great game but for me, Di Maria had the greatest impact on the game, so I gave it to him.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Not really, was the fact they were simply better then Wilson was.

Wilson played well for the first half an hour and then faded into nothing, much like all of his other games so far at senior level. I just struggle to see what he brings to the table apart from pace, Welbeck and even Macheda looked better in there first few senior games then Wilson thus far.
I don't know how you can argue Herrera was 'simply better' than Wilson was over the course of the 90, unless you're giving a massive amount of credit to him for the goal. Wilson offered a much greater contribution to the team imo, for the reasons I've already mentioned. Herrera was very quiet except for a few involvements.

I can see why you would give it to di Maria but then again I doubt very much he'd be a contender if he hadn't scored. And I bet Wilson would have scored if he'd been the one to come on with 30mins left, and put up top during a set piece 1on1, to break against a team who had thrown everything forward. Don't get me wrong, I massively rate di Maria, but Wilson is more deserving for MOTM over the course of the entire game.

He had his quiet spells during the game, but so did Falcao because we were playing so poorly they had no supply. He offers fantastic pace, movement, determination and seems to have a good engine on him.

khoazany

Not really, was the fact they were simply better then Wilson was.

Wilson played well for the first half an hour and then faded into nothing, much like all of his other games so far at senior level. I just struggle to see what he brings to the table apart from pace, Welbeck and even Macheda looked better in there first few senior games then Wilson thus far.
Herrera didn't have a good game apart from his goal.

JoaquinJoaquin

I don't know how you can argue Herrera was 'simply better' than Wilson was over the course of the 90, unless you're giving a massive amount of credit to him for the goal. Wilson offered a much greater contribution to the team imo, for the reasons I've already mentioned. Herrera was very quiet except for a few involvements.

I can see why you would give it to di Maria but then again I doubt very much he'd be a contender if he hadn't scored. And I bet Wilson would have scored if he'd been the one to come on with 30mins left, and put up top during a set piece 1on1, to break against a team who had thrown everything forward. Don't get me wrong, I massively rate di Maria, but Wilson is more deserving for MOTM over the course of the entire game.

He had his quiet spells during the game, but so did Falcao because we were playing so poorly they had no supply. He offers fantastic pace, movement, determination and seems to have a good engine on him.

Herrera didn't have a good game apart from his goal.
Well it's based on the fact mainly that Herrera was contributing in the second half a lot more then Wilson. After the initial first 30 minutes Wilson was pretty much anonymous. Granted his service wasn't great today but still. Everyone claimed that Wilson was this great poacher and finisher yet I'm to see evidence that he is any of those yet. God I really do hope he turns it around because he will be a fantastic asset to have if he does but at the moment he just isn't bringing much to the table.

m1y2

Well it's based on the fact mainly that Herrera was contributing in the second half a lot more then Wilson. After the initial first 30 minutes Wilson was pretty much anonymous. Granted his service wasn't great today but still. Everyone claimed that Wilson was this great poacher and finisher yet I'm to see evidence that he is any of those yet. God I really do hope he turns it around because he will be a fantastic asset to have if he does but at the moment he just isn't bringing much to the table.
If you are criticising Wilson, then first compare him to Falcao who was before his injury considered maybe the best striker in the world - him to freshly 19 year old who came from our academy AND who was better today.. what can he bring to the table when he has got no support? Not only him but also both senior strikers suffers from this a lot. Welbeck would do obviously much better on his own but he is no longer here. so let's just hope that Wilson will develop soon into at least as usefull player as Welbz was befroe he left. He will benefit from these minutes he got..

Castia

It's still early days but I've seen nothing from him so far that suggests he will be a first team player here, he's been mediocre at best in the majority of games he's been involved in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe wait until he actually gets a chance to score?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's a very difficult setup to come in to at the moment, as the entire team is pretty much struggling. Strikers are feeding off scraps and having to come deep to get involved. Our chance creation stats in most (especially away) matches have been abysmal. So it's very difficult to judge a forwards contribution.

There's been a couple of matches where I've even questioned bringing Wilson on, instead of a creative player like Adnan - as our problem hasn't been finishing, it's been creating. So yeah, Wilson has not really impressed but I'm not too bothered yet.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Don't get the criticism at all. Especially after a game where he showed he's really developing and looking more able to compete, physically, with adults. Feck all chances to score though. The story of his extremely limited first team football this season. Two goals on his debut last season should be all the evidence anyone needs that he's a finisher, even if they've never seen him play for the reserves.

JoaquinJoaquin

Maybe wait until he actually gets a chance to score?
I'd agree that he probably hasn't had the best service to him but the best strikers get into the right positions and sometimes even create chances off their own accord. Something Wilson seemingly isn't doing so far

justboy68

He's struggling to put his mark down and get properly involved in games at the moment. Not a question of ability just a learning process. He's had hardly any service or chances fall to him yet so its not like he's stinking out the joint and missing endless sitters.

Decotron

He's struggling to put his mark down and get properly involved in games at the moment. Not a question of ability just a learning process. He's had hardly any service or chances fall to him yet so its not like he's stinking out the joint and missing endless sitters.
Agree completely. All our strikers have struggled at times this season. All a matter of the service they're getting and that fuc*ing 352 pox

khoazany

Don't get the criticism at all. Especially after a game where he showed he's really developing and looking more able to compete, physically, with adults. Feck all chances to score though. The story of his extremely limited first team football this season. Two goals on his debut last season should be all the evidence anyone needs that he's a finisher, even if they've never seen him play for the reserves.
I don't know whether it's his new developed habit or instructed by LVG but he seems to drift wide a lot for the first team, which make him ever harder to get into the right position when we're attacking.Plus I have an impression that other players especially Rooney/Di Maria are not to keen on giving the ball to him.There seems to be a lot of problems on how our attacking moves are functioning at the moment.I still don't really get that "philosophy" tbh.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
People keep banging on about his pace and yet he never really looks quick.

Certainly not upto speed with senior level games either.

LonelyFire

Nail on head. We're creating feck all at the moment making it impossible to judge Wilson...and Falcao for that matter. Di Maria back will change that

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yeah at least a couple times every match you can see him outrun the opposition even when he starts way behind. He has used his pace really well to get to loose balls and track runners.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah at least a couple times every match you can see him outrun the opposition even when he starts way behind. He has used his pace really well to get to loose balls and track runners.
Today was his best work in terms of using his speed advantage to press and defend. Something I was worried we'd lost with Welbeck.

mlclauhk

I don't think it's really fair to judge him yet.

The lad simply needs more passes, through on goal, rather than down the channels. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but there have been a few occasions where he's found himself in some space, and needs a through pass, only for the ball to be sent out wide or to another striker who takes the shot themselves.

One example today, would be when Di Maria had the ball in the box and could have squared it to Wilson in the middle. The only other proper chance he had was when Hererra put him through on goal.

Right now he's feeding off some really poor service (the same as our other strikers), but the thing is, the team would rather give it to RvP or Falcao to shoot (or they'd rather take it on themselves) than give him the final ball.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Has he had a single chance so far this season? There was one against Stoke but that was all his own doing.

He's not going to score goals if we don't set up chances for him and most of his appearances have come when we've been shit for one reason or another.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our service to the strikers is dreadful. We have 3 at the back who either punt it for RVP or Falcao to compete for and thus Rooney and Mata pick up the loose balls. Very few times do we get to the bye line or in behind the defence.

khoazany

I don't think it's really fair to judge him yet.

The lad simply needs more passes, through on goal, rather than down the channels. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but there have been a few occasions where he's found himself in some space, and needs a through pass, only for the ball to be sent out wide or to another striker who takes the shot themselves.

One example today, would be when Di Maria had the ball in the box and could have squared it to Wilson in the middle. The only other proper chance he had was when Hererra put him through on goal.

Right now he's feeding off some really poor service (the same as our other strikers), but the thing is, the team would rather give it to RvP or Falcao to shoot (or they'd rather take it on themselves) than give him the final ball.
The through ball by Herrera is actually the way we should play if we want to use Wilson effectively.Normally he would have done better with the finish though.

JoaquinJoaquin

He badly needs the players behind him to look something like competent footballers. He had one really decent pass to feed off for most of the 90.
Agreed. But that doesn't resolve the fact his positional sense hasn't been great and that he appears to go missing in games, surely?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Agreed. But that doesn't resolve the fact his positional sense hasn't been great and that he appears to go missing in games, surely?
What striker hasn't gone missing for us this season?

Robbie Boy

He is clearly a good finisher but the service to him to-date, has been non-existent. I would love to see him play in a game where he gets good service. He chased the ball down well yesterday and often found himself playing in the channels. He obviously needs to be playing a central role as that is what his game is all about. It's frustrating watching him play as we aren't playing to his strengths.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Did well, didn't really have any chances but what he did do he did very well.