2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Mark_GrumpyLion

Think a lot of the criticism on him is a bit unwarranted. Yes, he hasn't scored but his service has been poor and other players seem reluctant to pass to him, even when he's in scoring positions. Hope he can snatch a goal soon, will do wonders for his confidence and I hope for the confidence of his teammates in him as well.

mlclauhk

Think a lot of the criticism on him is a bit unwarranted. Yes, he hasn't scored but his service has been poor and other players seem reluctant to pass to him, even when he's in scoring positions.
Agreed. If he or any of our strikers were being supplied with the type of passes that Costa or perhaps Harry Kane as of late, i'm sure we would be scoring a lot more goals.

Instead, our tactic over the last couple games has been to lump the ball forward and hope that our strikers win headers, against much taller CBs, which we inevitably almost never do.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I also feel it's a bit early for him but with the service our strikers get, it's difficult to score

LLMU

I still have patience over this boy as this is his first full season with the first team. Will only judge at the end of the season.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Weird comment. He looked lightening quick today a few times. Same in most (although not all) his other games.
Perhaps, they said the same thing about Chicharito and I don't think he ever looked like he was really quick either. Might just be the way the running style looks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Perhaps, they said the same thing about Chicharito and I don't think he ever looked like he was really quick either. Might just be the way the running style looks.
Hernandez was very quick too. With objective evidence to confirm it. He was tracked as the quickest player at the 2010 World Cup.

Wilson's got a very elegant running style, so it's not always obvious how fast he's moving. Mind you, if you didn't pick up on how quick Hernandez was either, chances are the issue is not them it's you!

ricky-romeo

He badly needs the players behind him to look something like competent footballers. He had one really decent pass to feed off for most of the 90.
true :lol::lol::lol: not blaming him for failing to score , how many chances has he got so far this season? i can only think about that "one on one" against stoke and that's all, other than that he was just chasing loose balls from his teammates unfortunately.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Agreed. If he or any of our strikers were being supplied with the type of passes that Costa or perhaps Harry Kane as of late, i'm sure we would be scoring a lot more goals.

Instead, our tactic over the last couple games has been to lump the ball forward and hope that our strikers win headers, against much taller CBs, which we inevitably almost never do.
Not really relevant to the point, but Kane's getting less than 2 chances a game in the box and Costa less than 3; they've just been incredibly effective.

Aguero, Pelle, Carroll, Bony, Sakho and Jovetic have actually had the most, but I get the general argument.

Last edited:

Bojan11

true :lol::lol::lol: not blaming him for failing to score , how many chances has he got so far this season? i can only think about that "one on one" against stoke and that's all, other than that he was just chasing loose balls from his teammates unfortunately.
Di Maria and Mata could have played him in a few times yesterday.

That Stoke chance he created on his own.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hernandez was very quick too. With objective evidence to confirm it. He was tracked as the quickest player at the 2010 World Cup.

Wilson's got a very elegant running style, so it's not always obvious how fast he's moving. Mind you, if you didn't pick up on how quick Hernandez was either, chances are the issue is not them it's you!
Wilson is eons quicker with the ball at his feet than Hernandez.

Gannicus

I haven't seen flashes of genius from James yet, but I love to see young players given a chance, as we did with Macheda.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How many has Wilson got?
2 shots inside the box, in close to 5 hours play.

Whether that's awful movement, coming on late in games when the others aren't chasing goals or players intentionally passing to Van Persie instead, I don't know.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
2 shots inside the box, in close to 5 hours play.

Whether that's awful movement, coming on late in games when the others aren't chasing goals or players intentionally passing to Van Persie instead, I don't know.
So much less less than all the other strikers you mention.

In other words, your stats back up what everyone has been saying. He's not been getting any service.

Odd decision to leave Wilson's stats out of a thread about him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He's right though. Look at City and how often Nasri, Silva, Clichy, Zabaleta, Kolarov get to the by line for a cut back. We are currently too narrow and too predictable, but at least harder to beat.
Indeed. Getting to the byline is an extremely important way to create goals. The crucifixion Moyes got for that comment was ridiculous.

Steven Seagull

Indeed. Getting to the byline is an extremely important way to create goals. The crucifixion Moyes got for that comment was ridiculous.
For sure, but with Moyes it was quite clear to me at least we were instructed to cross the ball far earlier, so for him to complain about it was a bit odd. Most obviously it was Evra crossing from deeper than ever before.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
For sure, but with Moyes it was quite clear to me at least we were instructed to cross the ball far earlier, so for him to complain about it was a bit odd. Most obviously it was Evra crossing from deeper than ever before.
We definitely tended to hit crosses from deeper than usual last season.

The "byline comment" was just him talking about a specific game, though, saying we had got to the byline so much he couldn't believe we didn't score. Which is fair comment. Getting to the byline is an extremely dangerous situation in football. It didn't deserve the mockery he got on here. "David Moyes thinks getting to the byline is the same as scoring goals!! LOLLZZ!!"

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yep agree and as a defender it is up there with players running at pace at you or in behind you as the hardest to deal with. (We have been short of both this season in our team) Di Maria aside and what a difference he make to our team.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He's very tidy in possession with a sweet left foot. If he played for Arsenal you'd be wishing he was ours.
I'm sure he was for the reserves and in training but he's not shown that during matches so far. Like I said he's still raw and looks a year or two away from the step up. Mind you it doesn't help that our midfield creates feck all for our strikers.

IwatUwat

He's very tidy in possession with a sweet left foot. If he played for Arsenal you'd be wishing he was ours.
Not really - as he's not scored a goal, we would be saying I hope they keep playing him.

I want Wilson to do well, I like the fact LVG is blooding him and playing him so often. BUT for me he hasnt quite done it this year as yet, decent touches and good movement should be standard for a striker. Goals is what will make him a utd player, and as yet he hasnt done that. I personally think he will. But with Di Maria back now and pretty much our whole forward line fit I think he'll get less game time.

He cant say he hasnt had chances to make an impact though, even if creativity in the side has been fairly weak.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not really - as he's not scored a goal, we would be saying I hope they keep playing him.

I want Wilson to do well, I like the fact LVG is blooding him and playing him so often. BUT for me he hasnt quite done it this year as yet, decent touches and good movement should be standard for a striker. Goals is what will make him a utd player, and as yet he hasnt done that. I personally think he will. But with Di Maria back now and pretty much our whole forward line fit I think he'll get less game time.

He cant say he hasnt had chances to make an impact though, even if creativity in the side has been fairly weak.
What sort of chances have been put on a plate for him though?. Apart from the 1 chance which he made for himself (he probably should have passed to RVP) I can't think of any shocking misses or should be goals.

IwatUwat

What sort of chances have been put on a plate for him though?. Apart from the 1 chance which he made for himself (he probably should have passed to RVP) I can't think of any shocking misses or should be goals.
Im talking about game time. I think he's done okay in games. But he's often played just off the striker and has he created any chances? I cant think of any. He's shown glimpses etc, but for me hasnt quite done it, not an issue as he's young and its great he's getting opportunities.

By chances I meant opportunities to show his ability, not chances for goal. But lets be honest top strikers (including Falcao and RVP in this criticism) should be able to turn half chances into chances and create goals from nowhere. We havent seen much of that this season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Im talking about game time. I think he's done okay in games. But he's often played just off the striker and has he created any chances? I cant think of any. He's shown glimpses etc, but for me hasnt quite done it, not an issue as he's young and its great he's getting opportunities.

By chances I meant opportunities to show his ability, not chances for goal. But lets be honest top strikers (including Falcao and RVP in this criticism) should be able to turn half chances into chances and create goals from nowhere. We havent seen much of that this season.
Sure he hasn't taken the league by storm but then people rarely do straight away. I think this will be his bedding in season so to speak, and after this he will be stronger and more ready. He is still quite thin and gangly so seems to bounce off the defenders, but his pace and dribbling will become very handy in the future.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Most United fans don't want Berahino and Kane and they're both 21 until the end of the season and have 30 goals between them in half a season. Doubt they'd care about a goalless Arsenal player.

Also, Harry Kane's created a chance every hour this and last season. Wilson's creating 1 every 6 hours, so a bit early for "sweet left foot". Not mentioning the goals.

Flying_Heckfish

Hasn't kicked on, but then he hasn't had that many chances yet. Maybe best to go on loan for his own development. We can play Adnan up front instead when needed.

gasmanc

Banned
So much less less than all the other strikers you mention.

In other words, your stats back up what everyone has been saying. He's not been getting any service.

Odd decision to leave Wilson's stats out of a thread about him.
Oddly the same thing was causing Van Persie to come under fire yet then it was put down to his workrate ;)
Service to the strikers has been largely poor for the majority of the season.
Just pulled up some assist stats.

Di Maria------6
Rooney ------4
Herrera-------3
Mata ---------3

Falcao -------3
RVP----------2

Is that good enough from our midfield and no 10's really?
Falcao creating as many assists as Mata isn't really acceptable from what is supposed to be our most gifted no 10.
Fabregas has 14 for Chelsea and Oscar 6, only Di Maria who's been injured 6 weeks looks respectable.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Oddly the same thing was causing Van Persie to come under fire yet then it was put down to his workrate ;)

Di Maria------6
Rooney ------4
Herrera-------3
Mata ---------3

Falcao -------3
RVP----------2

Falcao creating as many assists as Mata isn't really acceptable from what is supposed to be our most gifted no 10.
Fabregas has 14 for Chelsea and Oscar 6, only Di Maria who's been injured 6 weeks looks respectable.
This has been the main problem, I would argue Herrera has also hardly played much though

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Di Maria------6
Rooney ------4
Herrera-------3
Mata ---------3

Falcao -------3
RVP----------2

With the injuries our numbers are pretty good, Fabregas numbers shouldn't be used as reference, because 14 assists is what you have in a season, not half a season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Di Maria------6
Rooney ------4
Herrera-------3
Mata ---------3

Falcao -------3
RVP----------2

With the 352 you'd expect the wing backs to share the creative burden, so that needs to be taken into account.

Hererra hasn't featured much and Mata's really only hit his stride in the last month or two, so your point is valid. Our creative players haven't been creating enough. Mata's looked really good in his last couple of outings so hopefully this won't be an issue much longer.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Di Maria just needs to keep shooting lots, because the ball always seems to accidentally find it's way to a free player in the box. It's quite the amazing skill. Worth the £60m in itself really.

Will Singh

It's another tough one to call as above we ain't had the service from midfield to so its hard to make an opinion, same with Falcao.

Wilson is a young boy and needs to be loaned out really but as we've sold Welbeck we will have to keep him here!