View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Call him 'the Golden Boy' because he's going to win games for us. He's starting to look comfortable out there, personally I'd start him over Falcao right now, though I'd rather see Rooney up top alone than either.

I'm sure that's not the safe choice, but I don't think Wilson has anything holding him back, he just needs the minutes.
I hope he keeps progressing, but hes done nothing to deserve a start ahead of Falcao just yet.

Sam

He and Rooney is the only strikers partnership that can work (with the current bunch of attackers). Wayne likes rapid partners.
Never heard Colleen described as that before :nervous:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I hope he keeps progressing, but hes done nothing to deserve a start ahead of Falcao just yet.
Well, he's shown he can outpace the entire opposition, Falcao can't do that. He created two wonderful chances which is not something Falcao was able to do last game.

But I accept I'm biased, part of my interest in playing him is to get his career rolling. I feel the same way about Januzaj, di Maria might be a better winger but I want to see Januzaj start on the wing more than I want to see di Maria there. Besides the fact di Maria is wasted on the wing.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well, he's shown he can outpace the entire opposition, Falcao can't do that. He created two wonderful chances which is not something Falcao was able to do last game.

But I accept I'm biased, part of my interest in playing him is to get his career rolling. I feel the same way about Januzaj, di Maria might be a better winger but I want to see Januzaj start on the wing more than I want to see di Maria there. Besides the fact di Maria is wasted on the wing.
I'm with you on that one.

I have not been impressed by Falcao, he may have better movement and finishing but we really need to start looking for options outside the fantastic four of similar player.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm with you on that one.

I have not been impressed by Falcao, he may have better movement and finishing but we really need to start looking for options outside the fantastic four of similar player.
I'm prepared to write off the first half of his season because he was coming back from a major injury. I'm hoping we see the old Falcao again, or it will be a risk to keep him beyond the season loan.

Honestly I'd put Rooney up top before either of them, and Herrera back into midfield.

Cassidy

Thats brilliant but Falcao has 3 goals and 3 assists, and tbh apart from his finishing actually played quite well last game.
I hope Wilson gets the start vs Cambridge, and I also agree that I would rather Wilson kicked on than Falcao, but he hasn't quite earned the place ahead of him just yet.
Wilson is a good threat coming on of the bench when the game is stretched so he can use his pace, but he has started a few games and been anonymous so we need to ease him in. Would be awesome though if by the end of the season he was our starting forward and was banging them in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
According to Andy Mitten on play up. James Wilson last week took Wayne Rooney's long held title for lifting weights with his legs. Coaches at Carrington are amazed by the young striker's strength, aswell as his speed and skill.
http://news.playup.com/articles/3825405-pay-up-and-play-up
Wow. That's amazing. And him looking like he's not even started filling out yet. If he can add some real power to his game he'll be quite the handful!

Brightonian

Interesting, he doesn't exactly have that 'thunderthighs' look. Then again, that ridiculous burst of pace must come from somewhere, and he's got a vicious shot in his locker too.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Thats brilliant but Falcao has 3 goals and 3 assists, and tbh apart from his finishing actually played quite well last game.
I hope Wilson gets the start vs Cambridge, and I also agree that I would rather Wilson kicked on than Falcao, but he hasn't quite earned the place ahead of him just yet.
Wilson is a good threat coming on of the bench when the game is stretched so he can use his pace, but he has started a few games and been anonymous so we need to ease him in. Would be awesome though if by the end of the season he was our starting forward and was banging them in.
To be fair Falcao's job is to score, so it's no small thing that he's struggling to finish. That's pretty much the reason I wouldn't worry about starting Wilson, his finish right now is probably as sharp or sharper than Falcao's.

But if I was van Gaal I'm sure I would try to play Falcao into form now that he's fully fit.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
To be fair Falcao's job is to score, so it's no small thing that he's struggling to finish. That's pretty much the reason I wouldn't worry about starting Wilson, his finish right now is probably as sharp or sharper than Falcao's.

But if I was van Gaal I'm sure I would try to play Falcao into form now that he's fully fit.
Play them both. It will be good for the both of them.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

This lad is what Manchester United is all about. I know we shouldn't hype a player who has played so few games for the first team, but i can't help getting a bit excited! :D

Hope he goes on to have a great career for this club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Interesting, he doesn't exactly have that 'thunderthighs' look. Then again, that ridiculous burst of pace must come from somewhere, and he's got a vicious shot in his locker too.
Most people don't get their strength/speed from muscle mass, more from fast twitch muscles. He certainly seems the type that will have fast twitch, a little like Messi/Aguero too.

Mark_GrumpyLion

This lad is what Manchester United is all about. I know we shouldn't hype a player who has played so few games for the first team, but i can't help getting a bit excited! :D

Hope he goes on to have a great career for this club.
I feel the same way about him. I don't think he should be a nailed on starter yet, not by a long shot, but I wonder how long it would take for him to make himself a (semi)regular starter, even though he kinda is that right now. Thats probably also because both Falcao and RvP are missing their shooting boots.

Cambridge 0:0 Man Utd

Gee Male

James Wilson's first half vs Cambridge:

20' I think this was his first touch, neat control and lay off

21' Straight after his first touch, similar again

27' Simple ball rolled to him, tried to control it but rolled under his foot. Lost ball.

30' Controls ball just inside Cambridge half, turns, loses it. Cambridge attack, win corner, should have scored (ball blocked on line and then headed over from a metre out.

38' Gets a touch at the edge of the box on a breaking ball, tries to turn and is pushed off it.

That's it. No contribution. He may go on to score a hat trick in the second half, but he's essentially just not done enough so far. Versus Cambridge. No movement, nothing. He wouldn't get a kick in a stampede. This is all too regular an occurrence for him, this isn't a knee jerk post after a quiet first half. I am well aware that we've been poor in general and he's not got much support etc etc. He just doesn't affect games nearly enough, just no impact whatsoever.

He's not good enough to be a United player.

khoazany

27' Simple ball rolled to him, tried to control it but rolled under his foot. Lost ball.

30' Controls ball just inside Cambridge half, turns, loses it. Cambridge attack, win corner, should have scored (ball blocked on line and then headed over from a metre out.

38' Gets a touch at the edge of the box on a breaking ball, tries to turn and is pushed off it.

That's it. No contribution. He may go on to score a hat trick in the second half, but he's essentially just not done enough so far. Versus Cambridge. No movement, nothing. He wouldn't get a kick in a stampede. This is all too regular an occurrence for him, this isn't a knee jerk post after a quiet first half. I am well aware that we've been poor in general and he's not got much support etc etc. He just doesn't affect games nearly enough, just no impact whatsoever.

Such insights.Brilliant.

Sam

Nothing like writing off an 18 year old with about 5 starts in his career :lol:

Ffs.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
As per usual, our strikers are the least culpable for our direness.

Weird that people seem intent on singling them out in games like this.

Jev

He's certainly all about pace for now. Doesn't impact games much, if at all. I don't watch the reserves but he's not ready for this amount of senior football. We should limit his playing time more.

Gee Male

Nothing like writing off an 18 year old with about 5 starts in his career :lol:

Ffs.
Throw in all the 'FFS' you like. He's just not good enough. Giggs (and others too) have talked him up, he just doesn't contribute enough and has not in any game he's played - even the couple of games he's scored in.

And it's not just about him - the fact that LVG continues to throw him in ahead of the likes of Januzaj is baffling. Januzaj is clearly ahead of him, clearly the better prospect, Wilson just doesn't deserve the game time he's getting.

That's all/

khoazany

Throw in all the 'FFS' you like. He's just not good enough. Giggs (and others too) have talked him up, he just doesn't contribute enough and has not in any game he's played - even the couple of games he's scored in.

And it's not just about him - the fact that LVG continues to throw him in ahead of the likes of Januzaj is baffling. Januzaj is clearly ahead of him, clearly the better prospect, Wilson just doesn't deserve the game time he's getting.

That's all/
Pathetic post.

Strikers need service.That's all.

Januzaj and Wilson are different players.

Cassidy

That's all/
Except he scored in his last game. On top of that what is the comparison with Januzaj all about? He is not a Striker and Janazaj has played more minutes this season than Wilson

Acole9

Outstanding
Needs to step it up in this half. If not take him off and bring on RVP.

Gee Male

Weird that people seem intent on singling them out.
Yep, a fair point. My point is more on the back of his impact in every game he's played so far - I just don't see it in him. I don't see him making it here.

The above was my first post in this thread, probably one of the few posts where I've criticised a United player on here - certainly a young United player. I think part of my issue with how poor he's been has been that he's got in Januzaj's way in terms of game time in a lot of games this season, and I see Januzaj as the far better prospect. Frustrating.

Hope he scores now.

Gee Male

Pathetic post.

Strikers need service.That's all.

Januzaj and Wilson are different players.
Not true, one of the biggest myths on here. A striker with no service can touch the ball more than 5 times in 45 minutes of football. Strikers can and should make things happen, not just hang around waiting for service.

Decotron

FFS :houllier:

Gee Male

Except he scored in his last game. On top of that what is the comparison with Januzaj all about? He is not a Striker and Janazaj has played more minutes this season than Wilson
I think this is Januzaj's first appearance since November. In the meantime, I can't think of too many games that Wilson hasn't been involved in, in terms of appearances and named on the bench. If you don't think Wilson's involvement has hampered Januzaj's then fair enough, I couldn't disagree more. Regardless of what their respective traditional positions are.

Cassidy

I think this is Januzaj's first appearance since November. In the meantime, I can't think of too many games that Wilson hasn't been involved in, in terms of appearances and named on the bench. If you don't think Wilson's involvement has hampered Januzaj's then fair enough, I couldn't disagree more. Regardless of what their respective traditional positions are.
Wilson has usually been playing due to Falcao/RVP being injured.
I don't seen how Wilson is hampering Januzaj since he isn't going to play as a Striker.

Cassidy

Poor today

EDIT: Yes I know he aint getting service, but when hes got the ball his touch has been off

Minimalist

He looks extremely frustrated in this game. Don't blame him, service is just non-existent.

Robbie Boy

Weird that people seem intent on singling them out in games like this.
Very peculiar. Some on here love having a dig at our strikers despite the fact that errrrmmm they get absolutely no decent service.