View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was surprised he didn't take that chance really, but that was very encouraging in the second half. Wasn't really in the game much in the first half, but you can tell he has loads of potential. Says a lot about his confidence and finishing that at his age I expected that chance to end up in the net, a shame he missed though. Was a brilliant run.

bosnian_red

Also feck that about saying he should've passed to RvP. That's part of the reason why Welbeck isn't at the club anymore. Whenever he was in a chance as a striker, he passed it to somebody else to finish off or fecked around with it and made a mess out of it. Yes Wilson missed, but he didn't lack conviction at all and was very purposeful and had only the goal in mind. Taking that on and being that bit selfish is the difference between average strikers who won't ever get good numbers, and potentially world class forwards.

fallengt

Rooney plus one.
That's highly debatable. We haven't seen much Rooney-Falcao or Rooney-Wilson partnership. Rooney-RvP is clearly overrated as it was proven in 12-13 season.
To be honest, since Ronaldo left, I haven't seen Rooney link up well with any forward, bar Chicharito maybe?

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Not remotely bothered by the miss, he'd earned the chance. Invisible before that though, but then got a bit of a spring in his step after, before being frustratingly taken off instead of RVP.

bosnian_red

That's highly debatable. We haven't seen much Rooney-Falcao or Rooney-Wilson partnership. Rooney-RvP is clearly overrated and it was proven in 12-13 season.
To be honest, since Ronaldo left, I haven't seen Rooney link up well with any forward, bar Chicharito maybe?
Rooney did really well with both Welbeck and Hernandez. It's only RvP which he's failed to really link up that well with, which I would put down to RvP rather then Rooney who has almost always linked up well with his partner. Maybe the problem is they both like to come deep generally and like the ball into feet and so they can clash with having similar styles.

Anyways, I reckon Falcao-Rooney could be a great partnership, though we haven't seen them together yet really.

PvsNP

Did fine today. Quiet first half though, but good to see that the work rate is there. If Rooney and Di Maria aren't fit for the Southampton game, I don't mind Wilson starting. His pace can really hurt Soton on the counter where they are really susceptible which was evident against City.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
To be honest, we aren't missing Welbeck at all. Wilson offers the same pace, energy, work-rate, dribbling, and runs that Welbeck. The only downfall to Wilson's game is youthful naivety, but that can be easily eradicated.

From having no Manc forwards in our team in a long time to potentially two in recent years. Wilson looks really promising as well, and I'm very happy to see him being given chances here.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What a prospect this kid is! Last night he showed some real flashes of potential, so much so that I find myself thinking that we don't really need Falcao, although I'd like him to get fit and show us what he can do. In Europe, I am not sure Wilson would be enough during the next couple of years.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
That's highly debatable. We haven't seen much Rooney-Falcao or Rooney-Wilson partnership. Rooney-RvP is clearly overrated as it was proven in 12-13 season.
Welbeck and Rooney was great the year Welbeck lead the line.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he had a fairly quiet game with some explosions of magic that we know him for. His pace on the break is something we haven't had properly for a while, and his willingness to take on and run passed players and is exciting to watch.

I thought he was desperately unlucky with his chance, people saying "he should of passed it" just don't know strikers. He would have been absolutely hammered if he passed it!. Yes he should have scored but on his weaker foot he got it inches wide, which can happen to anybody really. Thankfully we got away with it but we have to expect mistakes with young players.

Either way I was impressed, you can see why everybody speaks so highly of him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
A few whispers going about he's starting tomorrow
Interesting. Him and RvP in front of Rooney make sense.
A bold move if true. Who do we think this will be in place of? Mata?
I guess we revert back to diamond with Carrick behind Herrera and Fellaini, Rooney at the tip and Wilson-RvP as strikers.
I love Wilson, obviously.

But he should have passed it.

Of course I wouldn't have passed it myself! So I can easily forgive him.
:lol:

Varun

Staff
A few whispers going about he's starting tomorrow
Wont surprise me. Think Van Gaal would want Rooney slightly deeper to help with the midfield. We'l go 3-5-2 again in that case which is a shame. Would have loved to see the diamond.

Varun

Staff
I love Wilson, obviously.

But he should have passed it.

Of course I wouldn't have passed it myself! So I can easily forgive him.
Exactly :lol:

Say all you want about passing in there, everyone knows it was the right thing to do, everyone knows like feck would they have passed it themselves had it been them there.

izec

Hope so, he has the pace we lack upfront. Mata and Januzaj were disappointing, Wilson took his chance the other day.

Brightonian

Bollocks. Hernandez, as you say, Welbeck when he lead the line in 2011, RVP in 2012/13. Dunno what you mean about their partnership being overrated that year: RVP scored 30 and assisted 9, Rooney scored 13 and assisted 13. He also assisted plenty of RVP's best goals that season.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Wilson starting (presumably instead of Mata) doesnt really change the system at all.

It is a 3-5-2/4-4-2 Diamond hybrid; Carrick can drop deep into the back line and allow Young and Valencia to push on = 3-5-2, but just as easily Carrick can push forward into midfield making it a diamond. The two formations/systems arent really that dissimilar on paper.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Wilson starting (presumably instead of Mata) doesnt really change the system at all.

It is a 3-5-2/4-4-2 Diamond hybrid; Carrick can drop deep into the back line and allow Young and Valencia to push on = 3-5-2, but just as easily Carrick can push forward into midfield making it a diamond. The two formations/systems arent really that dissimilar on paper.
That's correct, and I think we look much better when Carrick plays slightly ahead of the defense (so in diamond formation), not as a CB.

Brightonian

This is true if Carrick is one of the '3'. Mostly when we've started that formation it's been with three proper CBs (McNair, Smalling and Blackett, for example.) I think that's the formation people have a problem with, and rightly so based on our consistently poor performances using it.

But I agree that starting Wilson has no impact on the formation. He fits into the 442 diamond and the 352 the same as any of our strikers.

LARulz

I don't mind Wilson starting but not over Falcao. However, if we do play that stupid 3-5-2/5-2-3 then Wilson has to play. That formation only works if we have pace. WE saw against Southampton what happens without ace and nobody is going to deny we didn't get lucky that game. Against Arsenal we were lucky but difference was we looked threatening when we attacked as we had pace to hit them with.

I just hope we play the diamond

LARulz

Can we afford to start a player that we know will need to come off at some point, with our luck with injuries, though?

It only took Smalling going off on Monday to see our game plan go up shit creek.
Chances are either of them will go off, whoever starts. But another reason why I'd prefer Falcao to start (assuming it's a back 4 we play) is because Wilson will be better to bring off the bench. He's quicker and will be more direct against a tired Liverpool back 4 hopefully

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Is Wilson a local kid? I know he's come through the academy but is he Mancunian?