2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Getsme

RVP or Wilson, at the moment I see no harm in giving Wilson a go.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Delighted for wilson, but was it just me who though Van persie actually played quite well? Was isolated a lot but he looked sharp, did brilliantly on that one move and in general his hold up play was good, apart from one or two instances. In recent weeks he has been a lot better then the opening few games anyways.
He was a bit sharper but he's still slow as feck and never works very hard to press the opposition defence. Which isn't a massive problem when we play with two strikers but makes him next to useless as a lone striker.

I worry that Wilson is too young/slight to play up top on his own though. Can see him getting bullied and struggling to hold up play. Will need our CMs to get very close to him which, in turn, exposes that flaky defence.

Rooney replacing RvP would be a much better decision IMO.

pascell

RVP or Wilson, at the moment I see no harm in giving Wilson a go.
RvP needs a serious kick up the backside, sick of seeing him mope around the pitch barely contributing any decent performances. I agree that we should give Wilson a go but we'd have to play the ball on the deck, as Palace have Hangelaand and Dann as CB's we wouldn't win much in the air.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Not getting into the Hererra v Fellaini debate but those stats mean feck all. You're comparing a sample of just 5 games where Herrera mainly played against cannon fodder and Fellaini played against the best two teams in the league.
And net result was that we won neither of those. So in-turn we could say United effectively achieved feck all with him in the team can't we ? We might've lost vs those 2 with Herrera but since when are United such pussies and risk averse ? Herrera would've also given us a significantly bigger chance vs either of those team with the added fluidity in creating chances particularly against a weak City that pooed their beds every time we had a real go at them.

That aside from the fact that Di Maria would've most probably been playing in the 3 midfield as opposed to out wide where he was a shadow of the player that made a scintillating debut, irrespective of opposition. It's a domino effect and we put Di Maria (one of the best big game players around too) in a disadvantageous position from the get go by not giving him a midfield player of equal wavelength to operate with in tandem.

JoaquinJoaquin

I would be all for Wilson starting against Palace but agree with those that say we will need to play the diamond midfield shape around him, Otherwise I could see him isolated up front.

Getsme

RvP needs a serious kick up the backside, sick of seeing him mope around the pitch barely contributing any decent performances. I agree that we should give Wilson a go but we'd have to play the ball on the deck, as Palace have Hangelaand and Dann as CB's we wouldn't win much in the air.
We seem to be playing it more on the deck anyway so I don’t think that would be much of an issue. I think RVP is playing ok, however, he is failing to do what he is paid to do, score goals. Sadly the truth is he has been failing at that for some time now, therefore it won’t be a massive risk to play Wilson over RVP

Players like Mile Jedinak, Mame Biram Diouf, Fraizer Campbell, Mohamed Diamé, Charlie Austin have all scored the same or more goals than RVP this season, given the players RVP has around him and the teams we’ve played it really is a poor return.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And net result was that we won neither of those. So in-turn we could say United effectively achieved feck all with him in the team can't we ? We might've lost vs those 2 with Herrera but since when are United such pussies and risk averse ? Herrera would've also given us a significantly bigger chance vs either of those team with the added fluidity in creating chances particularly against a weak City that pooed their beds every time we had a real go at them.

That aside from the fact that Di Maria would've most probably been playing in the 3 midfield as opposed to out wide where he was a shadow of the player that made a scintillating debut, irrespective of opposition. It's a domino effect and we put Di Maria (one of the best big game players around too) in a disadvantageous position from the get go by not giving him a midfield player of equal wavelength to operate with in tandem.
Huh? That makes no sense. Since when did the choice of Fellaini over Hererra have anything to do with how Van Gaal chose to play Di Maria?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Huh? That makes no sense. Since when did the choice of Fellaini over Hererra have anything to do with how Van Gaal chose to play Di Maria?
Yup, of course it doesn't make sense. Apart from the fact that Fellaini cannot play in a 3 man CM in the diamond (because he's not very good at maintaining possession and doesn't contribute enough while on ball or have Ander's range of passing from deeper positions), necessitating the 4-5-1 hybrid to accommodate his talents in more advanced positions (not a #10 either but a cross between a #8 and a #10 with a license to roam and be a "nuisance"). If that is the inherently negative and bland style of play some want United to play going forward, then good luck. I'd rather play attractive football, which is what Ander's presence brings to the team in terms of fluidity and linking midfield with attack.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yup, of course it doesn't make sense. Apart from the fact that Fellaini cannot play in a 3 man CM in the diamond (because he's not very good at maintaining possession and doesn't contribute enough while on ball or have Ander's range of passing from deeper positions), necessitating the 4-5-1 hybrid to accommodate his talents in more advanced positions (not a #10 either but a cross between a #8 and a #10 with a license to roam and be a "nuisance"). If that is the inherently negative and bland style of play some want United to play going forward, then good luck. I'd rather play attractive football, which is what Ander's presence brings to the team in terms of fluidity and linking midfield with attack.
You really do talk tosh sometimes. I still remember our last "debate", so I'm not even going to try and address the points you've made there. Ridiculously over-complicating a simple sport.

And yes, I'm also looking forward to Herrera getting back into the team. Providing he plays a lot better than he did against WBA.

Cina

In case you weren't aware, this is a thread about James Wilson, not squabbles about Fellaini and Herrera. Go someone else with that, please.

togg

forgive my ignorance, but not knowing a lot about Palace, what are their defenders like...big physical buggers or not, since this will have an impact of how Wilson will perform I reckon.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You really do talk tosh sometimes. I still remember our last "debate", so I'm not even going to try and address the points you've made there. Ridiculously over-complicating a simple sport.

And yes, I'm also looking forward to Herrera getting back into the team. Providing he plays a lot better than he did against WBA.
Yup ok. In this particular case, one side tried to provide some reasons (right or wrong is relative because a lot of what we talk about is presumptuous while also working within the spirit of healthy forum communities) to back their argument, while the other interjected with insightful analysis including calling the opposing view "nonsense" and "tosh" without providing any evidence or hypothesis to the contrary and generally being snide in demeanor. Now I'm not deluded enough to presume that I'm 100 % or even 80 % right, but until it's proven comprehensively wrong, I'll stick by the view.

Anyway deal dealio then, I'm in favor of ending this amicably. If you don't think my opinions are worth your while and don't intend on addressing the points I make then please stop instigating a discussion with me in the future. I for one won't be worse off without the hassle of explaining my POV while getting zilch in return. Also, the sport is far from simple in its details.

Agree on the second part though while also feeling Herrera is being done dirty these days. He was obviously not at peak fitness vs WBA which did adversely affect his performance to some degree.

EDIT :

See this is the kind of shit I'm talking about. Don't argue the point in a civil manner, reply with shite degrading posts :

They're dragging down the net IQ of redcafe (including my own fwiw)
PS : Sorry Cina, just saw the reminder. Won't happen again.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

With Falcao still out, Wilson would give us that pace up front. Why not give him a go, he's quality. Van Gaal always said age doesn't matter.

The only worry is indeed his lack of physical presence. But good, high tempo technical football can beat a rough and tumble Palace rearguard. And van Persie can always come off the bench.

SirAF

Ageist
I'd love to see Wilson start against Palace, I think he would be a revelation for us if given 90 minutes.

Shark

@NotShark
I think that Palace would be the perfect game to start Wilson and see what he's got. We're going to have a lot of the ball I'd imagine and hopefully create a lot if chances.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think that Palace would be the perfect game to start Wilson and see what he's got. We're going to have a lot of the ball I'd imagine and hopefully create a lot if chances.
I agree- we could have sent him out on Loan but we elected to keep him here and in order to develop him he needs games - not always 10 minutes at the end of the match but he needs to start games and this seems like a good one.
RVP is out of form and falcao is injured - if we are not going to play him now we might as well loan him out!

lysglimt

Scout
I am all for Wilson given a chance - but in fairness, RvP has been among our better performers in the last couple of games.

But Wilson's pace ... electric.

Imagine Wilson up front with di Maria and Rooney behind him - and Blind, Herrera and Carrick in central midfield. That would give us much better balance as we have 2 central midfielders who do a great job defensively.

Clas Sified

I hope the Wilson thing is true, not the McNair and Blackett part. I would rather Carrick be in there ahead of Blackett to be honest. We need to win this match, can't afford any mistakes and two young CBs are more likely to make one.
As opposed to a 32 year old midfielder who's just back from a 3 month injury spell?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
As opposed to a 32 year old midfielder who's just back from a 3 month injury spell?
3 at the back for extra cover?
----------------------De Gea------------------------
----------Mcnair-----Carrick------Blackett---------
Valencia------Fellaini-------Blind--------------Shaw
-------------Rooney----------------Di Maria--------
-----------------------Wilson--------------------------

I hope not though - I dont want to see three at the back again - we just don't look comfortable

MDFC Manager

Sometimes the bigger the defenders the easier it is for the attacker, it all depends on how brave Wilson is.
I actually want him to play this, then. He seems brilliant at making a yard a of space to get his shots away and also has more pace then RvP.

That said, I think I would look at replacing RvP with Rooney instead and bring in Mata.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We can't afford to start him against big/good teams, but only against cannon fodder ones. Because he's young and such, we are afraid to start him against big physical bullies CBs, which almost all of those cannon fodders have at the back. It's polemic :drool:

Minimalist

RVP should be starting as usual against Palace. Ridiculous I think, not to start your best striker (in form or not.)

Wilson hasn't done an awful lot in his cameos to suggest he's breathing down the neck of RVP but by all means, if by half time we're struggling to put away chances, then I'd be fine with a RVP/Wilson swap.

I just think it's plain daft to drop RVP when he could quite easily fire three past Palace.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
RVP should be starting as usual against Palace. Ridiculous I think, not to start your best striker (in form or not.)

Wilson hasn't done an awful lot in his cameos to suggest he's breathing down the neck of RVP but by all means, if by half time we're struggling to put away chances, then I'd be fine with a RVP/Wilson swap.

I just think it's plain daft to drop RVP when he could quite easily fire three past Palace.
I wanna say it was 2009/10, we lost a two legged tie with Bayern, under van Gaal I believe. Rooney was injured but SAF started him anyway, only for someone to kick his injured ankle ten minutes into the game, putting him out.

Did SAF bring in Berbatov, or best striker left? Nope, he played Nani up top.

Why?

Form and tactics.

Clas Sified

I think McNair and Blackett would be more vulnerable to a mistake, yes.
McNair and Blackett are proper centre backs, whereas Carrick is a midfielder who's not even fully fit. For me, it's more so the quality than the age of a player. In that regard, McNair and Tyler are better than Carrick in defence.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
McNair and Blackett are proper centre backs, whereas Carrick is a midfielder who's not even fully fit. For me, it's more so the quality than the age of a player. In that regard, McNair and Tyler are better than Carrick in defence.
Do you know how many games McNair has played at Centreback during his career? I'm talking youth too.

Clas Sified

Do you know how many games McNair has played at Centreback during his career? I'm talking youth too.
Not much admittedly, I am aware he played midfield as a younger lad, but he has been playing and training (I assume) as a centre back recently + half of last season. That's still better than a midfielder who's back from a long injury.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not much admittedly, I am aware he played midfield as a younger lad, but he has been playing and training (I assume) as a centre back recently + half of last season. That's still better than a midfielder who's back from a long injury.
I just thought it was humorous that a player likened to Carrick who has recently started his transition into defence was being touted as a "proper centre back" and a better option to seasoned pro Carrick who has played four fold as many first team minutes at Centreback than McNair has.

I like McNair, I think there's a reality check in store for him and his fans soon enough but there's big potential there.

khoazany

I just thought it was humorous that a player likened to Carrick who has recently started his transition into defence was being touted as a "proper centre back" and a better option to seasoned pro Carrick who has played four fold as many first team minutes at Centreback than McNair has.

I like McNair, I think there's a reality check in store for him and his fans soon enough but there's big potential there.
McNair has played CB since 17 and is a proper centre back now...Though there's still a lot of room for improvement for him.

ZDwyr

I think Carrick as a CB matches the quality of the other too as well, it isn't a judgement I have made purely on age. Anyway, this is the Wilson thread so probably not really relevant.

steeeb

I'd like to see him start and see how he goes on against Palace. Not a great deal to lose with doing so, I think we need a shape that will see him get constant deliveries though and be involved and not just running about as a lone striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd like to see him play, but not in a 4-3-3. I'd have loved to see him alongside Falcao, however on his own, Palace will probably just rough him up for the most part.

Patchbeard

He played upfront on his own last game of last season didn't he? I remember Fellaini playing AM, Kagawa strangely in CM, Lawrence on the left and Januzaj on the right.