Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Alex Scott is so much better than him and would be a way better face for BBC football presenting.

Be a shame to lose her insights mind, which certainly wouldn't be the case with Jenas.

Does anyone else remember how hopeless he was after Chelsea knocked out Spurs in the FA cup a few seasons ago? Like listening to the reasonings a 12 year old blubbering Spurs fan at that point.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
To be fair, being a presenter will be different so it doesn't hugely matter if he's a shite pundit and his opinions are awful if his job is limited to asking questions and initiating topics from the other pundits. I'll reserve judgement til I see him in action, and I'm sure hell get plenty of training to iron out his more annoying habits.

People have mentioned Rio, but he's too inciteful to be reduced to a presenting role.
Yes being a presenter is about smoothness, charm, humour. Des Lynam was the king. Lineker was actually terrible at first but learnt quickly.

James Richardson is excellent at what he does but I don't think he matches the BBC style, and I can't see them picking him. They are also generally a bit obsessed with picking a former player even though they are often not the best.

Jake Humphrey is ok on BT Sport, though he lacks a bit of sparkle.

Gabby Yorath is actually pretty good.

Judas

Open to offers
Said it months ago, this thread is ancient. Jenas isn't replacing Linekar, if he was going to it would have happened. This thread gets bumped and people get angry all over again. Rinse and repeat.

Andersonson

At any given time there's around 4000 professional footballers in England. So the top 1% is around 40 players.

Would you say at any point in Robbie Savage's career that he was in the top 40 players in England?
Now you narrowed it down to just England.
At any given time there's around 4000 professional footballers in England. So the top 1% is around 40 players.

Would you say at any point in Robbie Savage's career that he was in the top 40 players in England?
Now you changed the your narrativ to only England...

Out of all the fotballers in the world, both Savage and Jenas are in an elite 1% or maybe lower.

The wording 'very average ' is silly and frankly very untrue.

Very average as you Said would mean Jenas is below the top 50% in the league... Which also isnt true.

OverratedOpinion

Jenas has the terrible habit of setting ridiculous expectations on certain players.

A good example was a moment against Croatia where the ball fell to Sterling 20+ yards out from an awkward angle, Sterling took it on the volley and Jenas started going on about what a great scoring opportunity it was. It just sounds ridiculous coming from a player who was as average as he was for most of his career.

stevoc

Changed my narrative?

Eh that was my first post on the topic.

Out of all the fotballers in the world, both Savage and Jenas are in an elite 1% or maybe lower.

Very average as you Said would mean Jenas is below the top 50% in the league... Which also isnt true.
Can you quote where I said very average mate? Are you even keeping track of who you're talking to.

Savage and Jenas were never in the top 1% of players no matter the context nor how you crunch the numbers. England, Europe, Worldwide doesn't matter, the top 1% at any given time is about 400-500 players, usually at the top 12-15 clubs in the World (Europe). Savage and Jenas never played for any of those clubs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Said it months ago, this thread is ancient. Jenas isn't replacing Linekar, if he was going to it would have happened. This thread gets bumped and people get angry all over again. Rinse and repeat.
It's LINEKER bud...please just once get it right :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Now you narrowed it down to just England.

It's like when people call a pro footballer "crap". Always tickles me, but we all do it.

The truth is probably that Jenas was average.... "in terms of midfielders at top 8 clubs".
Which is still obviously an incredible standard to get to.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I could have sworn I wrote Lineker ffs?! :lol: I changed the spelling at least twice while making that post, must have changed it to make it wrong again. Daft little name anyway.
Haha, no problems bud. It's one of the oddest mis-spells I see on here. Maybe cos I love a bit of Gaz.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Did he actually say this?

arnie_ni

Did he actually say this?

He said walker and him will have a great connection from their time at city. They were together like a week.

Didn't hear that one though

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He said walker and him will have a great connection from their time at city. They were together like a week.

Didn't hear that one though
Yeah I’m not surprised hearing that but seeing as it’s Paddy Power, I just had to double check.

Abraxas

Seems like a bloke that just says random stuff that comes to mind. You don't get the sense much thought is going into it.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Seems like a bloke that just says random stuff that comes to mind. You don't get the sense much thought is going into it.
That is exactly the feeling I get when I listen to him. Someone needs to tell him that he doesn’t have to verbalise every single half-baked thought that he has…..

RC89

More from the start of the thread but why do people hate Linekar? Is it a United thing that I've missed because I think he's great. Right amount of wit for a presenter.

heinze58

Supports
SETI
It was his constant use of ‘innit’ last night that grated for me. ‘Great pass that woz innit?’ Ugh! Isn’t it isn’t hard to say is it, especially if your job revolves around speaking coherently. There was a period in the second half where he dropped 3 innit bombs in about a minute. Wanker.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
More from the start of the thread but why do people hate Linekar? Is it a United thing that I've missed because I think he's great. Right amount of wit for a presenter.
He’s part of the looney left

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It was his constant use of ‘innit’ last night that grated for me. ‘Great pass that woz innit?’ Ugh! Isn’t it isn’t hard to say is it, especially if your job revolves around speaking coherently. There was a period in the second half where he dropped 3 innit bombs in about a minute. Wanker.
Language evolves get over it

stevoc

Well yeah he's a football pundit, very few of them ever sound like they know what the feck they're talking about.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was annoying how it kept referring to Sancho as Jadon like they were best friends.
When he does it with Trent people say it's easier to say than the surname.
Maybe he can't deal with surnames over 5 letters?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's Lineker. Why do so many struggle with this?

Posted this in the match day thread. But this sums him up:

Jermaine Jenas “Sancho will have a really good understanding with Walker from their time at Man City”.

he’s bloody clueless.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Co-commenting the Liverpool game on BT right now. Not going to lie, it's hard to bear listening to him, the combination of ostentation and blundering cluelessness is something else.

Zoo

You can’t get away from him. He’s everywhere.