Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

krentz

If Jenas was white he wouldnt get the BBC job, deep down you knew this too. Liam Rosenior might not be a more well known footballer but he is far superior pundit, a very well spoken lad with good knowledge of english football.

Voted UKIP. He's a cnut.
Awful pundit even more awful personality.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
There's seem to be a bit of a rhetoric against Jenas, it's cool to dislike him now it seems.
Mediocre player commenting on what it's like to play in big games... I applaud these guys, like him, Savage, Redknapp etc who had very average careers having the neck to commentate at levels far beyond what they achieved as players.

pass.pass.pass

Mediocre player commenting on what it's like to play in big games... I applaud these guys, like him, Savage, Redknapp etc who had very average careers having the neck to commentate at levels far beyond what they achieved as players.
Well, as they say, you don't have to have cancer yourself to study it, you just need to be an oncologist. My problem with Jenas is not that he was a mediocre player but that he is a mediocre pundit. And he is also fairly ABU.

Sylar

What happened to Gavin Peacock, that chelsea guy who always seemed to score against United in the 90s?
He had an average playing career but was always a good pundit.

Higginbotham, although once at United, had a fairly average Prem career, yet hes one of the best pundits too.

The issue with Jenas is not his playing career as mentioned by @pass.pass.pass
Its how bad he is as a pundit.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What happened to Gavin Peacock, that chelsea guy who always seemed to score against United in the 90s?
He had an average playing career but was always a good pundit.

Higginbotham, although once at United, had a fairly average Prem career, yet hes one of the best pundits too.

The issue with Jenas is not his playing career as mentioned by @pass.pass.pass
Its how bad he is as a pundit.
I think he was getting too turned on by doing punditry on the women's games and then he became a monk. Or something like that.

cyberman

It was truly bizarre that he kept muttering about Shaw not being naturally attacking, as if t wasn't Shaw who had created the most chances for England so far this tournament, and it wasn't Shaw who had created more chances than any fullback in the Premier League last season.
Jenas is weirdly indecisive with his opinions. He had Shaw in his starting 11 pre tournament and is suddenly lamenting some made up flaws when he is performing as well as he has been all year. He has the same hesitancy when asked if a challenge should be a pen etc as well.

tomaldinho1

Or, wild take I know, a lot of people genuinely think he’s rubbish at his job.
100% this. It’s not just our forum either - he’s universally not liked as a pundit because of his ability as a pundit. Nothing else to it.

romufc

How can he even be a pundit, he had no clue about football.

Ibi Dreams

I don't understand why so many people seem to hate him. Not saying he's good, but he's perfectly fine and preferable to some pundits/commentators.

Lineker is more presenter than pundit anyway, which I feel might suit Jenas. He wouldn't really be commenting on the details of matches that much

Tyrion

Rio would be a great shout. Jenas is just boring. He never really adds anything...
Agreed. I just forget most of what he says. Neville and Carragher are entertaining and interesting even when I think they're wrong.

Fingeredmouse

I don't understand why so many people seem to hate him. Not saying he's good, but he's perfectly fine and preferable to some pundits/commentators.

Lineker is more presenter than pundit anyway, which I feel might suit Jenas. He wouldn't really be commenting on the details of matches that much
He has a strangely superior delivery, he obstinately takes bizarre positions and won't budge no matter what, he says nothing of interest in an entirely uncharismatic manner, he is bullish whilst saying nothing and is a fecking dullard.

He's really dislikeable.

Andersonson

Average careers?? Out of all professional fotballers they belong in the top 1%.

On here thats average.

It's getting more and more obvious how far off fans are of understanding what its like to be a professional athlete

stevoc

Average careers?? Out of all professional fotballers they belong in the top 1%.

On here thats average.

It's getting more and more obvious how far off fans are of understanding what its like to be a professional athlete
At any given time there's around 4000 professional footballers in England. So the top 1% is around 40 players.

Would you say at any point in Robbie Savage's career that he was in the top 40 players in England?

Kaos

If this transition to being a presenter gets him off our TVs as a commentator and pundit where we'll finally be spared from his painfully uninsightful, humourless "punditry" then I'm all for it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
At any given time there's around 4000 professional footballers in England. So the top 1% is around 40 players.

Would you say at any point in Robbie Savage's career that he was in the top 40 players in England?
He said all professional footballers to be fair not just those in England.

stevoc

He said all professional footballers to be fair not just those in England.
Multiply it by 10 and the point still stands does it not?

Was Savage or Jenas ever in the top 400 players in world football?

The top 12-15 clubs in the big 4 leagues must have had 400+ players between them. Savage/Jenas never played for any of them.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Multiply it by 10 and the point still stands does it not?

Was Savage or Jenas ever in the top 400 players in world football?

The top 12-15 clubs in the big 4 leagues must have had 400+ players between them. Savage/Jenas never played for any of them.
Depends, change his statement from 1% to 2% and he's probably right. It's all relative anyways, compare Savage and Jenas to PL greats and they come out looking terrible, compare them to all the footballers playing in Asian and African leagues and they would likely be near the top few %.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
"Well definitely not, I can't believe, well I mean, look, that you think that, to be honest with ya. I I don't see how you don't feel that Spurs deserved to win that" - Jermaine Jenas

stevoc

Depends, change his statement from 1% to 2% and he's probably right. It's all relative anyways, compare Savage and Jenas to PL greats and they come out looking terrible, compare them to all the footballers playing in Asian and African leagues and they would likely be near the top few %.
Perhaps, but saying Savage wasn't an average player based on including every professional player in the game is a bit dubious in my opinion.

Whenever I hear or read someone talking about average players it's almost always implied that they are referring to them being average within the context of top level leagues. And in that context Savage was definitely an average player, Jenas also.

Sure compare them to some squad player in League 2 or the Belgian 3rd division if it floats your boat. But that's the only context they weren't average players. It's a bit obtuse to make a bone of contention over calling the likes of Savage an average player by going down that road.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Perhaps, but saying Savage wasn't an average player based including every professional player in the game is a bit dubious in my opinion.

Whenever I hear or read someone talking about average players it's almost always implied that they are referring to them being average within the context of top level leagues. And in that context Savage was definitely an average player, Jenas also.

Sure compare them to some squad player in League 2 or the Belgian 3rd division if it floats your boat. But that's the only context they weren't average players. It's a bit obtuse to make a bone of contention over calling the likes of Savage an average player by going down that road.
I agree, I think its completely fair to call them average and the context you speak of is usually the metric we all use, I just think the other poster was using the metrics you mentioned in the second paragraph.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Are the BBC really going to replace Linekar with Jenas?

He seems universally disliked, are Spurs or Newcastle fans even that fond of him?

If its about representation then Alex Scott would be a better option. She's more likeable, more knowledgeable, better looking, she's a woman and mixed race.

Jenas and Murphy need to be relegated to text coverage.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Jermaine Jenas is like if aids had a face and voice.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
He's probably in a lads whatsapp group with Jamie Redknapp, Jack Whitehall and James Corden. Wanker.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I can't really comment on the in-studio stuff as I generally switch off from that. In terms of comms, I think Ally McCoist has really been the only good co-commentator this Euros, and even he has his tics ('you're spot on...')

Jenas - has annoying pronunciation of some words, but more importantly, quite frequently does not read the game well
Lee Dixon - ok actually, bearable to listen to, and at least tries to make interesting and balanced points, just doesn't bring any enthusiasm with him
Emma Hayes - grated on me a bit. yes the stuff about tactics is mildly interesting but she talks too much and makes the same point repeatedly. I think she will get better though, she seemed a bit nervous. the enthusiasm is there at least.
Danny Murphy - adds nothing to any game
Robbie Savage - adds nothing to any game, and is very annoying
John Hartson - ok, likeable character and does not say too much, but adds little too
Martin Keown - awful, makes you want to slit your wrists, on par with steve mcmanaman who we seem to have been spared for this tournament
Karen Carney - can't warm to her and she lacks the insight of some others, but no worse than many of the above

Pickle85

Are the BBC really going to replace Linekar with Jenas?

He seems universally disliked, are Spurs or Newcastle fans even that fond of him?

If its about representation then Alex Scott would be a better option. She's more likeable, more knowledgeable, better looking, she's a woman and mixed race.

Jenas and Murphy need to be relegated to text coverage.
Ugh - Danny Murphy. I can't stand Jenas but I REALLY hate Murphy. Particularly the way he says everything in such a serious way, with such faux gravitas. Like it's the most insightful thing anyone's ever uttered when really he's just said 'Well if you don't create you're not going to win games' or some other nonsense...

stevoc

I agree, I think its completely fair to call them average and the context you speak of is usually the metric we all use, I just think the other poster was using the metrics you mentioned in the second paragraph.
I'm sure he was but I was just playing devils advocate and pointing out that even in that context I doubt Savage makes the top 1%.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A pundit who says Danielson tackle should not have been a red card makes it harder for him to have credibility to comment football matches.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I can't really comment on the in-studio stuff as I generally switch off from that. In terms of comms, I think Ally McCoist has really been the only good co-commentator this Euros, and even he has his tics ('you're spot on...')

Jenas - has annoying pronunciation of some words, but more importantly, quite frequently does not read the game well
Lee Dixon - ok actually, bearable to listen to, and at least tries to make interesting and balanced points, just doesn't bring any enthusiasm with him
Emma Hayes - grated on me a bit. yes the stuff about tactics is mildly interesting but she talks too much and makes the same point repeatedly. I think she will get better though, she seemed a bit nervous. the enthusiasm is there at least.
Danny Murphy - adds nothing to any game
Robbie Savage - adds nothing to any game, and is very annoying
John Hartson - ok, likeable character and does not say too much, but adds little too
Martin Keown - awful, makes you want to slit your wrists, on par with steve mcmanaman who we seem to have been spared for this tournament
Karen Carney - can't warm to her and she lacks the insight of some others, but no worse than many of the above
Why limit to only BBC pundits? Can't they look outside for talent? Jimbo (James Richardson) is such a brilliant choice for this.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Whenever I see Mike Wedderburn on tv I'm really impressed. I think he can do much more than what he's currently doing at sky. Sign him up.

Trequarista10

To be fair, being a presenter will be different so it doesn't hugely matter if he's a shite pundit and his opinions are awful if his job is limited to asking questions and initiating topics from the other pundits. I'll reserve judgement til I see him in action, and I'm sure hell get plenty of training to iron out his more annoying habits.

People have mentioned Rio, but he's too inciteful to be reduced to a presenting role.