Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I love this. I have a ten year old and in her world teachers hold more sway than anything. The threat of telling her teacher anything negative is the worst threat imaginable to her :lol:

I really like Ian Wright. I didn't use to. In fact I thought he was a bit of a moron. The voice of a Sun newspaper reader.
But he's changed so much. He's engaging, he's interesting, he's likeable. He's a massive champion of the women's game. I think he's a top bloke and I would never have imagined saying that 10 years ago.
Absolutely. I really disliked him in his playing days, mostly because he was good and he was Mr. Arsenal. I remember when he and Schmeichel went into a challenge so hard they popped the ball. I wanted big Pete to kick him over the stand!
But his love and enthusiasm for the national team firstly, just his sheer joy at playing and scoring for England and then his level headed punditry (I miss him on 606 - it’s sensationalist drivel now) have turned my opinion of him and I think he’s great and respect him a lot.
He was the first to stand with Lineker, and I believe he was the catalyst for the sport department to stand in solidarity. He was brave enough to be the first to say I’m out. Without him I’m not sure you get the blanket boycott and the BBC climb down.
Well played Wrighty lad!

(Still makes me feel old that his grandson now plays for Stoke though)

lex talionis

There were simply no grounds for Lineker to be suspended in the first place.

He is a freelancer who doesn't work in news or current affairs, so it was obvious that his twitter activity didn't breach impartiality guidelines. Plus the BBC hierarchy had no problems with the politically related twitter activity of Andrew Neil or Alan Sugar or Lineker himself in the past, when the Tory government was not on the receiving end of criticism there. And of course he didn't declare his political views on air when presenting football coverage, so therefore they didn't interfere / interact with his role at the corporation.

This was incredibly clear-cut.
My view exactly. The BBCraven should have a word with itself about its values as a media organization.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
So after all that we've been able to conclude that it is fair to say that the Tories are in fact cruel and not dissimilar to the abhorrent racists of 1930's Germany. This is a stamp of approval from the British Broadcasting Corporations for the expression of such views.

caid

So after all that we've been able to conclude that it is fair to say that the Tories are in fact cruel and not dissimilar to the abhorrent racists of 1930's Germany. This is a stamp of approval from the British Broadcasting Corporations for the expression of such views.
It just highlighted the 20 grossly partial people in far more influential positions. They probably could have followed through, just not without sacking the army of tories in the news division and on the board. Few of them will probably be gone regardless.

Dan_F

His shirts.
His voice.
Riding round London with a camera attached to his head.
His Penny Farthing

The guy is an utter weapon.
I saw a video on twitter where he was going to report someone who threw a cigarette on the floor. I’m sure it’s a nightmare for cyclists in London, but fecking hell.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He’s done a great job of adapting and having really progressive views.
Not to dispute his views, but why does it matter what his views are? If Shearer has different views, what does it matter to you, and what difference does it make to either of them as football pundits? I probably think Shearer (who has got better over the years) is a little bit better than Wright as a pundit, but only based on when I see them talking about football. I don’t agree with some of what Lineker puts forward as his views, but that makes no difference to whether I think he does a good job presenting (he’s good at his job regardless of his views).

Coxy

His shirts.
His voice.
Riding round London with a camera attached to his head.
His Penny Farthing

The guy is an utter weapon.
I ride around with a camera attached to my head too - it's no different to drivers having dashcams in their car.

The other reasons you gave I can't counter :D

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I saw a video on twitter where he was going to report someone who threw a cigarette on the floor. I’m sure it’s a nightmare for cyclists in London, but fecking hell.
Yeah he’s a right tit. Always grassing people up and trying to get them in bother. Got a woman sent to prison because she did a gun sign at him (with her fingers), campaigns to get smoking banned in beer gardens (yet hardly seems the type to go to pubs), goes looking to get in accidents while riding round with his camera on. He’s just an absolute dick.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I ride around with a camera attached to my head too - it's no different to drivers having dashcams in their car.

The other reasons you gave I can't counter :D
Sorry, didn’t go into detail. Have you seen his and what he does with it?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Does this mean he still hasn't been cautioned once in his career?
He's got the ref sent off now!

But they will surely go rewrite the rulebook to be prepared for the next time a presenter dares to utter lefty humanitarian views.

Coxy

Sorry, didn’t go into detail. Have you seen his and what he does with it?
Yeah I know what you're getting at. Some cyclists give us a bad name and I agree Jeremy goes too far at times - borders on being like a vigilante.

Dan_F

Not to dispute his views, but why does it matter what his views are? If Shearer has different views, what does it matter to you, and what difference does it make to either of them as football pundits? I probably think Shearer (who has got better over the years) is a little bit better than Wright as a pundit, but only based on when I see them talking about football. I don’t agree with some of what Lineker puts forward as his views, but that makes no difference to whether I think he does a good job presenting (he’s good at his job regardless of his views).
If you purely want a tactical analysis of a game then I don’t think it makes a difference, but I consume football content in a different way I guess. I rarely watch match of the day or post match analysis on Sky, and I can’t remember the last time Shearer said anything of note that I haven’t heard from 100 different pundits.

Wright has a really good podcast where they will discuss other issues than purely analysing games of football. That’s something that I prefer to listen to, but I can understand it’s not for everyone.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The storks in charge of the BEEB have been humiliated. Should make them want to keep their heads down for a while. Well done Lineker and for the other football people in the organisation for their support of him.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
The mere fact you are comparing Attenborough to Cox shows just how little you know about 'science'. You do know the difference between an 'honourary' degree and being part of the team that designed the Hadron Collider and is still a consultant to CERN?
I know what science is, why are you putting it in inverted commas? :lol:

Tyrion

In a nutshell he thinks we haven't progressed under Ten Hag.
I doubt he watches many games. I honestly can't remember a single thing he's said aside from arguing the Glazers have spent money so the fans should be happy to a United supporting journalist back when that Liverpool game was cancelled.

I dont get why he keeps getting punditry gigs. Is it his age? Most are more interesting.

Edit: About ETH. He's right we haven't progressed if you ignore the league table, cup competitions and results.

Pickle85

He's so fecking dull and full of himself. I quite liked him when he started out but he has all the charisma and charm of a moray eel.

Charles Ufarley

Pimplehead Jenas - "You've got a pimple for a head..." (to the tune of You've got the whole world in your hands").

Loon

:lol:
Both Keys and Jenas claim no improvement under Ten Hag despite £250m spent, yet full of praise for Eddie Howe (lost cup final to United. On same points and spent £210m).

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Both Keys and Jenas claim no improvement under Ten Hag despite £250m spent, yet full of praise for Eddie Howe (lost cup final to United. On same points and spent £210m).
Well in fairness 95% of that Newcastle squad is the same shite that’s battle relegation season after season. So they have definitely improved more than you. Any improvement would have been massive in reality regardless of money spent because they’ve been utterly hopeless in the past.

However ignoring how much you guys have improved on last season is pure ignorance.

Josep Dowling

Hate him that much I’ve had to switch over to ITV. He’s insufferable when United are playing. Massive ABU and a terrible commentator.

tompo18

He's absolutely awful.

How can he get so much wrong?

On top of this he has no charisma.

Rubbish.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hate is a strong word in life, it should really only be reserved for things that are worthy….but I genuinely hate listening to this man commentate on football matches

tompo18

Hate him that much I’ve had to switch over to ITV. He’s insufferable when United are playing. Massive ABU and a terrible commentator.

Snap

Arthur Albiston's perm

When Utd played Rangers years ago, watching the totally biased commentary up here was quite an eve opener. Although anyone playing Rangers would say the same.

Didn't though expect to hear it in Cup Final - but it's been bad all season tbh - ironically under Ole, Utd didn't seem to get the bias that we are seeing this year. Not sure why ?