5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizy

Anyone who defends this lad needs their head checked. He is absolutely useless.

Robbie Boy

Or Herrera or Mata or Blind they all have a weird **** following
I don't get the posters that feel the need to defend certain players as if they have some sort of personal affiliation towards them. It's ridiculous to praise Lingard when he plays well but blame everyone bar him when he has a shocker. It makes the 'Player Performance' threads a strange place at times.

AndyJ1985

Or Herrera or Mata or Blind they all have a weird **** following
Just like really bad B movies have a **** following, really bad United players have a **** following, too. I can understand it with movies, it's a bit of a laugh. But there's nothing funny about watching Lingard playing for United, unless you're a scouser.

Oscie

I don't get the posters that feel the need to defend certain players as if they have some sort of personal affiliation towards them. It's ridiculous to praise Lingard when he plays well but blame everyone bar him when he has a shocker. It makes the 'Player Performance' a strange place at times.
Agreed. And what's more is that the objection doesn't seem to be that Lingard in fact plays well but that other players also play badly. So there's an acceptance, implicitly, that Lingard hasn't played well but a petulance that people have the nerve to point that out in the thread specifically designed to talk about Jesse Lingard's performances.

I haven't checked in the Daley Blind performance thread. Maybe it's full of people saying things like: "Oh, and Lingard was brilliant, was he?"

Would doubt it though.

Robbie Boy

He reminds of Fellaini in that the bar for him is set extremely low. I've seen him have very average games and people come in here and basically proclaim he played amazing. Then today he was clearly poor and yet it's been called a 'decent' performance. If that constitutes as 'decent' then feck me, the bar for this lad is very low indeed.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He reminds of Fellaini in that the bar for him is set extremely low. I've seen him have very average games and people come in here and basically proclaim he played amazing. Then today he was clearly poor and yet it's been called a 'decent' performance. If that constitutes as 'decent' then feck me, the bar for this lad is very low indeed.
Agreed, the amount of times he gave the ball away was unreal.

luke511

He has hindered our attack a lot more than he has helped it this season. He puts the miles in so fair play to him on that, but for a team like us we don't need another George Boyd, we need clinical consistent players and he's the complete opposite of that. He honestly belongs in a team like Burnley, that is the perfect fit for him. A quality right winger should be our priority this summer.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Utterly rubbish and his presence in the first team just epitomises the fact we're not finishing top 4.

Triple.Threat

Hate to say it but he would struggle to get a game time at any of the top 6-7 PL side and definitely wont be starting for any of them.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
We are crap at every level today. Even DDG was off. Therefore we have to take a look at the mental preparation of the team as a whole as organized by the manager. If everyone is tried and fatigued then Jose should've picked up on this and made appropriate adjustments before sending them out.
What adjustments? We are running out of players.

Robbie Boy

If he played for anyone else, there's no way anyone on here would rate him. I don't know a single oppo fan that rates him.

Robbie Boy

Hate to say it but he would struggle to get a game time at any of the top 6-7 PL side and definitely wont be starting for any of them.
Not a hope. Look at someone like Son at Spurs. He's a squad player but the guy actually comes up with the goods and is miles better than Lingard.

Djemba-Djemba

Once people start bringing out the "he worked hard" excuse you know he must have been incredibly bad.

SirScholes

This is problem, the only defence he ever gets is "oh well player X Y Z didn't play well either" so feck!

All that says to me is that he needs to be carried because he has more of these games than he does good games.
Oh but he runs around a lot and has scored a couple goals so must be amazing at shooting, Jesus man

iKeano

Headless chicken.

Cue the 'local lad, puts a shift in' argument. I know loads of local lads that would run around cluelessly for £100k a week.

Epitomises the lack of depth in the squad at the minute. These free-ride "squad players" need to step up in games like today. Lingard didn't. Wasteful and zero footballing brains or vision.

Kag

I find this generally frustrating, too. Fellaini, for example, merely shifts the ball from side to side and wins a few headers and he's roundly worshipped for hitting such heights. Pogba and Herrera, meanwhile, would be slaughtered for such passive performances. Lingard, like Fellaini, gets away with less because the expectation isn't there. Ashley Young, likewise.

Robbie Boy

Headless chicken.

Cue the 'local lad, puts a shift in' argument. I know loads of local lads that would run around cluelessly for £100k a week.

Epitomises the lack of depth in the squad at the minute. These free-ride "squad players" need to step up in games like today. Lingard didn't. Wasteful and zero footballing brains or vision.
Yeah but Wembley, goals, or something like that.

Devil may care

He kinda of got an assist or was it a pre assist? :D Poor overall though, his movement off the ball is often praised but on it he is too slack when controlling the ball and runs into dead ends too often.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

I dont think Jose is to blame here. Lingard gave the ball away so much.
I checked this at halftime because someone was criticising him for this (even though I think its a weird criticism of an attacking player fullstop – do you really want your forward players playing safe passes and racking up a 100% completion rate?), and I checked it again now, but Lingard gave the ball away less often than both Rooney and Martial. Rashford had a better percentage, but made less than half the passes of those 3.

He also made three successful dribbles – the joint most in the game – at the same success rate as Martial (50% - Rooney attempted 0), played the pass that led to the penalty (which I maintain is the only moment of quality any of our attackers produced in the game) and had the joint most shots on target in the game (2 from 3 shots total).

I don't think he had a particularly good game, and I can't be arsed to get into the tedious debate this thread always is, but its food for thought when Martial's thread is mostly full of praise and Lingard's is full of people acting like he's put in a 0/10 performance that their stats are similar (actually Lingard probably shades it).

If he played for anyone else, there's no way anyone on here would rate him. I don't know a single oppo fan that rates him.
Most oppos I know think all of our players are shit, so that's hardly surprising.

Bojan11

Have a word with the manager then. He just singled out Young and Lingard as looking sharper than everyone else today.
Yeah and he added because they didn't play the last game. So that makes your defence if Lingard worse. As he had no excuses about being tired.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah and he added because they didn't play the last game. So that makes your defence if Lingard worse. As he had no excuses about being tired.
He wasn't tired and actually had a decent performance, which is what Jose was getting at.

Bojan11

He wasn't tired and actually had a decent performance, which is what Jose was getting at.
He just said he was sharper because he didn't play the last game. Nothing about decent performances.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He just said he was sharper because he didn't play the last game. Nothing about decent performances.
Sharper than the rest of the squad today means they were better than the rest of the players. Its not fecking rocket science.

shield

Well at least "he tried". Exactly what he was trying is a bit difficult to understand.

I just can't understand what his role or position is. Is he a winger NO ... , a midfielder NO ...., a No. 10 NO .... , well then what is he doing , apart from getting in the way of others. Just ran around a lot doing nothing in particular.

MAME DIOUF 32

I guess with Rooney on the pitch Jose thought we'd need Lingard's work rate? He worked hard as usual but was absolute toss, as usual

NinjaFletch

Mourinho has played him consistently this year. Have a word with him. His view is obviously completely at odds with our resident e-experts in here.
This is my problem with some of the criticism Lingard gets as well.

Lingard clearly didn't start the season as a player destined to play that many minutes. He looked for all the world like he was due to have a season of being a squad player and covering here and there. Then, by virtue of almost all our attacking players being utterly shite at various points of the season, Lingard got games by being less shit than them.

I don't think Mourinho rates him much higher than I do (which is probably more than most of the Caf, but thats not saying much) and the blame for Lingard playing so much really belongs with the supposedly better players who can't string together enough good performances to keep Lingard out of the side.

It is the Ashley Young/Di Maria scenario all over again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well at least "he tried". Exactly what he was trying is a bit difficult to understand.

I just can't understand what his role or position is. Is he a winger NO ... , a midfielder NO ...., a No. 10 NO .... , well then what is he doing , apart from getting in the way of others. Just ran around a lot doing nothing in particular.
You could apply the same to Martial, who clearly isn't a left winger and is being shoehorned into the side, irrespective of the wrong position just because he's Martial. Jose will need to address this in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.