5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thought he had a fantastic game yesterday, albeit against Malta. Really good debut. Was unlucky not to bag a goal. Would definitely start him against Liverpool.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's better than Ozil's and slightly worse then KDB.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's your spin on it, and if you have to cite those players then you may as well include the entire present squad;DDG and Rooney apart.

There's a reason well respected coaches have picked him to do a job. On Sunday he was excellent against Stoke with his movement and ability to work.

PS: why didn't you include Keane,Giggs,Charlton as well? ;)
He was a little better than he always is and that's average at best. How you can say he was excellent is beyond comprehension. He got subbed and Martial made a bigger contribution straight away.

SomeRandomPerson

It's better than Ozil's and slightly worse then KDB.
I'm generally quite skeptical about the chances created stat (probably because I haven't bothered to read up on what constitutes a created chance) but that is actually amazing. For his numbers here to be better than Ozil's, who I think has created the most chances overall. Good for Jesses, I suppose.

Though I'm still quite wary of the stat because I have absolutely no idea when he created 3.35 chances per game.

roonster09

Scout
I'm generally quite skeptical about the chances created stat (probably because I haven't bothered to read up on what constitutes a created chance) but that is actually amazing. For his numbers here to be better than Ozil's, who I think has created the most chances overall. Good for Jesses, I suppose.

Though I'm still quite wary of the stat because I have absolutely no idea when he created 3.35 chances per game.
Tbh I don't rate chances created stat. If player makes superb pass and other player don't shoot then it's not considered as chance created. On the other hand if player makes simple pass and other player shoots from distance then it's chance created.

Litch

Lingard's quality clearly there to see, and what you want from a player of his age is improvement year-on-year. The lad scored goals on the biggest stage which says something about his temperament, he's had his lone deals and unlike many good players, couldn't prove their quality away from the club.

Sadly there are some players at Utd some will always focus on their weaknesses and never their strengths. Sadly Jess appears to be in that camp. It's funny cause people have been raving about Dele, for me Lingard has the same qualities.....

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tbh I don't rate chances created stat. If player makes superb pass and other player don't shoot then it's not considered as chance created. On the other hand if player makes simple pass and other player shoots from distance then it's chance created.
Other stats are similarly vulnerable to bias. e.g. Rooney's last "assist". The bigger the set of data (i.e. the more games played) the more reliable the rankings. Early days yet but kudos to Lingard regardless. Be interesting to see how long he can keep it up.

iKeano

He's not just industrious, and his movement is anything but aimless. He is the antidote to static team play because he does the simple pass and support so well. As does Rashford, to be honest.
In his pitiful 45mins against City, he covered more ground than any other Utd player, but he touched the ball 6 times. At least 2 of which were miscontrols that went out of play.

Herrera is the antidote to static team play.

roonster09

Scout
Other stats are similarly vulnerable to bias. e.g. Rooney's last "assist". The bigger the set of data (i.e. the more games played) the more reliable the rankings. Early days yet but kudos to Lingard regardless. Be interesting to see how long he can keep it up.
Agree with this. Even when you have bigger set the stats will be skewed if you have players who takes too many long shots.

LouisDanGaal

He gets in to good positions constantly. He just doesn't have the quality to do anything about it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
In his pitiful 45mins against City, he covered more ground than any other Utd player, but he touched the ball 6 times. At least 2 of which were miscontrols that went out of play.

Herrera is the antidote to static team play.
Where did you get those stats? He made 9 complete passes and 13 touches.

Herrera has had more than his fair share of dog shite performances as well.

DeOddi

Not sure why some seem to be so obsessed with his performance against City. It´s not like that´s his standard performance. He was rushed back after an injury against the best team in the league. In his first season for us Herrera was rushed back after an injury as well and put in just as bad a performance as Lingard against the almighty West Bromwich Albion (only to be subbed at half-time as well). That obviously shouldn´t be an excuse for these kind of performances, but it would only be worrisome if he put in performances like that on a regular basis (which he clearly doesn´t).

Beyond that he has been mostly decent/good so far this season and provides the kind of movement and link up play most of our other offensive players don´t offer. The only part of his game he needs to improve is his output in front of goal (goals and assists), but i think he´ll get there eventually. For the U21 he was a good finisher as well. I guess it´s a confidence thing which should go away after more games, considering that he hasn´t actually played much senior level football for a 23 (soon 24) year old football player.

paulscholes18

Great movement but needs a better end product at times. Similar to Walcott in some ways.
I was thinking about this today but me he is the opposite of Walcott, if Walcott had Lingards off the ball movement he would be Arsenal no1 striker, but he lacks a footballing brain, he kind of knows what's he doing when he has it but without the ball he is clueless

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I was thinking about this today but me he is the opposite of Walcott, if Walcott had Lingards off the ball movement he would be Arsenal no1 striker, but he lacks a footballing brain, he kind of knows what's he doing when he has it but without the ball he is clueless
I agree on the movement but I don't think Walcott has the end product to be a good striker. That's where he and Lingard are similar, they get into the positions but the final pass or shot is often lacking.

Brightonian

Southgate trusts him in games like that. About 80% of the England U21 games I've watched over the last few years have been exercises in picking apart a penalty box blockade against an inferior side, and it's incredible how often Lingard has been the one to provide either the goal or the assist over that period. It's the persistent positivity in his play - a lot of footballers have talked about how your approach to the game inevitably changes after 60 minutes of probing in vain at a packed defence and you start to get a bit sloppy and desperate. But Lingard doesn't, I think because that short, fast passing - probing, looking for gaps, keeping it moving, probing again - seems to be the sort of football that he most enjoys playing. He doesn't get dispirited if the opening doesn't present itself.

MounchesterUtd

Smallest guy on the pitch but never afraid to stick up for his teammates. Did the same away at the Emptyhad last year too. Fantastic player to have on the squad.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Aye, I'm warming to him. Last year I'd have said he's a good squad player but he shouldn't be anything more than that if we're aiming for the top. He's still not convinced me fully he should be a starter, but he's played well recently.

But I've always hoped he'd sort of turn it around. Still do. SAF's words on him being a late developer gives me hope. Iniesta, Drogba etc. quite a few players tend to really only kick on early to mid 20's. So it's possible.

Nothing better than an academy player becoming a world beater, or close to it.

Classical Mechanic

Thought last night showed the good and bad of Lingard. Great movement but a lack of quality with the final ball and a lack of strength.

Lallana is comfortably ahead of him at the moment and should win his place back easily.

Kag

Lingard may have his flaws - and we're often quick to point them out - but we look a hell of a lot better when he's in and around the team.

His style of play is generally conducive to some fluid attacking football.

Vaibhav Raj

I have been very impressed with his play. I am not referring to his contribution in the third goal, but his general play around the penalty area. Lots of movement, good first touch, doesn't give away the ball in tight spaces and keeps things ticking.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
We play better when he's in the side, he's not going to be world class and some will continue to dislike him for whatever reason, but he's a great squad option, academy product & a hard worker too.

And he just scored!

Vaibhav Raj

I have been very impressed with his play. I am not referring to his contribution in the third goal, but his general play around the penalty area. Lots of movement, good first touch, doesn't give away the ball in tight spaces and keeps things ticking.
And that goal too. Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.