5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fergieisold

Yes know nothing about football , only supported United for 3 times longer than even Lingard has been at the club and never seen a player as poor as him at any time make as many appearances as he has. Of course squad players are important, doesn't mean one of them has to be Lingard. Lingard is in no way sense of the word a great player.
There are no words! :lol: He was pretty decent coming on yesterday, nearly nicked us a goal too! Great demonstration of why I believe he's a valuable squad player.

fergieisold

These are the people who want a squad of 18 world class players and nothing else.

Lingard is a fantastic squad player to have, doesn't moan if benched and will contribute when called upon. Yes he shouldn't be starting week in week out but when's he's needed he's brilliant.

He's clearly not going to get £90K a week, I don't know why people are getting worked up over a article from The Sun :houllier:.
Yeh, I think that's pretty much it. That's why it's so incredibly dull reading threads berating players that should be seen as really useful squad players. It's a juggling act, you are never going to have a whole host of world class players sitting on the bench because, well, why would they?

SirScholes

Yeh, I think that's pretty much it. That's why it's so incredibly dull reading threads berating players that should be seen as really useful squad players. It's a juggling act, you are never going to have a whole host of world class players sitting on the bench because, well, why would they?
But you can have good ones? every single poster will understand you can't have a team of ronaldos and messis, I just want any squad players to still be above average in ability so they don't hinder our chances of winning a game if they are needed to start, which for me lingard does

fergieisold

But you can have good ones? every single poster will understand you can't have a team of ronaldos and messis, I just want any squad players to still be above average in ability so they don't hinder our chances of winning a game if they are needed to start, which for me lingard does
So you think Lingard isn't good? That's the trouble, I actually think he's half decent, got some good qualities about him, he's certainly got goals in him.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
There are no words! :lol: He was pretty decent coming on yesterday, nearly nicked us a goal too! Great demonstration of why I believe he's a valuable squad player.
He is the worst United player imo who has made 60 appearances for the club. Cleverley and Richardson are not far away but they did put in more better performances more often than Lingard

I have just finished watching yesterday's match in full. He was no better and no worse than anyone else, had one chance unmarked on the edge of the area and hit the bar, others did not do much better yesterday. Gave him a higher rating than the average.

Doesn't change that the handful of good performances he has made throughout his career here is not enough. We don't need to have a poor player just to make up the numbers, our squad players can be good players, don't have to be very good players, they are the starters.

And if I hear the word decent once more...

Last edited:

fergieisold

He is the worst United player imo who has made 60 appearances for the club. Cleverley and Richardson are not far away but they did put in more better performances more often than Lingard

I have just finished watching yesterday's match in full. He was no better and no worse than anyone else, had one chance unmarked on the edge of the area and hit the bar, others did not do much better yesterday. Gave him a higher rating than the average.

Doesn't change that the handful of good performances he has made throughout his career here is not enough. We don't need to have a poor player just to make up the numbers, our squad players can be good players, don't have to be very good players, they are the starters.

And if I here the word decent once more...
So who would you replace him with? Serious question because you need somebody who is willing to be a squad player for a start, that rules out anybody who is good enough to start for the top clubs.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
So who would you replace him with? Serious question because you need somebody who is willing to be a squad player for a start, that rules out anybody who is good enough to start for the top clubs.
We don't need to replace him as such , we have enough better players in the wide areas. We need to strengthen in other areas, which is another discussion.

SirScholes

So you think Lingard isn't good? That's the trouble, I actually think he's half decent, got some good qualities about him, he's certainly got goals in him.
I know he isn't good having watched him hold our attacking play up for the last couple seasons.
Half decent isn't good enough, we need decent players not half decent. Park Ji Sung wasn't half decent he was a good footballer so was fletch so was Nani so was Chico.
Cleverly was half decent and go shipped out, lingard gets a place in the squad purely because of lack of numbers. We have bigger issues to address before looking at our third choice winger but ideally I'd like to see a young winger come through next year

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
More importantly, Mourinho underlined his later influence in the Stoke match, as he did with Rashford. I expect both to start against Hull.

Viral United

No way they have put better performance then Lingard.

We surely need him as squad player, our schedule is very pack and their will be time when we need him.

fergieisold

I know he isn't good having watched him hold our attacking play up for the last couple seasons.
Half decent isn't good enough, we need decent players not half decent. Park Ji Sung wasn't half decent he was a good footballer so was fletch so was Nani so was Chico.
Cleverly was half decent and go shipped out, lingard gets a place in the squad purely because of lack of numbers. We have bigger issues to address before looking at our third choice winger but ideally I'd like to see a young winger come through next year
All I can say is it's worth giving him time. To my mind he looks very useful further up the pitch linking play in tight spaces when we need to open up a tiring defence. I can't compare Nani to the others because in my opinion Nani had the potential to become world class.

JoaquinJoaquin

I thought he done pretty well when he came on vs Stoke, But for me Martial should be on the bench over him. I'd start Lingard vs Hull on Thursday.

JoaquinJoaquin

His finishing is terrible, Must be one of the worst finishers in the squad (attacking wise). And this is a squad who's problem is converting chances. Lingard epitomises everything about why we are struggling in that aspect.

This is one part of his game he really does need to work on if he is to stay here longterm.

fergieisold

His finishing is terrible, Must be one of the worst finishers in the squad (attacking wise). And this is a squad who's problem is converting chances. Lingard epitomises everything about why we are struggling in that aspect.

This is one part of his game he really does need to work on if he is to stay here longterm.
It's the easy stuff he misses, but when we need a goal he's definitely a threat around the box. He's scored some stunners for us in important games don't forget!

m1y2

he's a great squad player and defo better than Richardson and Cleverley, certainly have had a better impact than the two, how can you even say that. baffling

Jaybomb

Lingard does not hit better crosses. One beautiful cross doesn't prove that. By the account even Rojo hits wonderful crosses so he must be a better winger.

Lingard is as far from a proper winger as can be. He hardly stays out wide unlike Martial. Plus workrate does not mean he is a better winger. I am really confused here as to why the points you made justify the earlier post of yours.
Cause we require Lingard's workrate in some matches. A team is 30 players, not 11.

If the tactic is to cross the ball to Ibra, Lingard is a better option than Martial.

Jaybomb

he's a great squad player and defo better than Richardson and Cleverley, certainly have had a better impact than the two, how can you even say that. baffling
Lingard won the FA Cup for us... any other teams fans would love him for that.

NK86

Cause we require Lingard's workrate in some matches. A team is 30 players, not 11.

If the tactic is to cross the ball to Ibra, Lingard is a better option than Martial.
Why do you keep changing the goal posts with every post. Make up your mind and then we can discuss further. I was discussing your original point that Lingard is a better winger than Martial and you keep changing your argument. It's now come to him being a better grafter and as that suits Ibra it is better. Although even that is not to be agreed with since his assists don't prove he is better at providing opportunities. However I don't think even you believe he is a better winger than Martial else you would not be changing your tune with every post.

Jaybomb

Why do you keep changing the goal posts with every post. Make up your mind and then we can discuss further. I was discussing your original point that Lingard is a better winger than Martial and you keep changing your argument. It's now come to him being a better grafter and as that suits Ibra it is better. Although even that is not to be agreed with since his assists don't prove he is better at providing opportunities. However I don't think even you believe he is a better winger than Martial else you would not be changing your tune with every post.
I'm not changing any tune. Lingard is a better traditional winger than Martial. I can't remember Martial ever whipping a good cross in. When you have someone like Ibra up top, you need to be getting crosses in. Lingard is a better option than Martial in that case.

But you're clearly biased towards Jesse and he can do no right in some peoples minds. A lot of people need to remember that hes still developing as a player. Although hes 23, injuries have stalled his development and hes only came into the first team last season so hes basically in the same boat as Rashford. Theres a reason Giggs, Scholes etc all rate him and Rene compared him to a young Iniesta. Those guys are the pros, so its not just me who rates him highly.

NK86

I'm not changing any tune. Lingard is a better traditional winger than Martial. I can't remember Martial ever whipping a good cross in. When you have someone like Ibra up top, you need to be getting crosses in. Lingard is a better option than Martial in that case.

But you're clearly biased towards Jesse and he can do no right in some peoples minds. A lot of people need to remember that hes still developing as a player. Although hes 23, injuries have stalled his development and hes only came into the first team last season so hes basically in the same boat as Rashford. Theres a reason Giggs, Scholes etc all rate him and Rene compared him to a young Iniesta. Those guys are the pros, so its not just me who rates him highly.
:lol: I am not biased. One cross does not make him a better crosser. As for former players rating him, there are plenty who rate Martial much higher.

Jaybomb

:lol: I am not biased. One cross does not make him a better crosser. As for former players rating him, there are plenty who rate Martial much higher.
Hes done more than one cross... I don't even know why I'm continuing this now.

NK86

Hes done more than one cross... I don't even know why I'm continuing this now.
Because you are hell bent on proving that he is a better winger than Martial, which anyone with a single brain cell will laugh at.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Lingards team play, movement and runs are all better than martial imo. Martial is still the better player no doubt but lingard offers things that Martial doesn't. Think Martial and Rashford are seen more as competitors with lingard being viewed as something different.

Both lingard and Martial average something like 0.4 crosses a game so it's strange to say it's a big part of either of their games.

AndyJ1985

Is he ever going to have a match where he looks like he can bring something to the team except running? He keeps getting these chances and just not doing enough.
Nope. All he does is run about a lot and do very little. But apparently that's enough to be a "decent" squad player.

Roboc7

Playing him and darmian together is too negative, especially with rojo as the other full back.

He is an ok squad player but he needs quality around him otherwise he is too limited

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Him and Darmian as a right side, that is about as uninspiring as it gets.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah him and Darmian on the right definitely kills any attacking potency you wish you have.

Pace Abuser

Doesn't do anything. Runs a lot, tries to be busy, but when he gets the ball you can bank on nothing progressive happening. He's like a training cone that's had a soul breathed into it.

JeffBoomTetris

He is a good lad. Tries hard. And plays well occassionally. But he is a headless chicken. That 'control' from a Pogba diagonal near the end of the half summarizes him as a player.

Mister_Stubbs

Runs a lot and gets praised for it which for me is a strange one as all bloody footballers should run and put the kind of effort Jesse gives every game, unfortunately for him he just has got the quality to match he's work rate.

JoaquinJoaquin

Over conclusion: Shite as per...

To be this 'useful squad player' many on here claim, surely you have to be useful to the squad. Aside from the cross against West brom he has barely done anything useful for months and that's being generous.

facund

Quite possibly the most consistent corner taking performance I have seen from a United player in years. No worldies but he mostly hit good areas with decent pace and trajectory (a few even threatened danger). It speaks more of our general sh*tness at corners than anything else.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
We lack any attacking threat from which ever side of the pitch he is on. Just stop playing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.