5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugenius

Once again, very threatening when playing down the middle (like the Middlesbrough game). Probably lacks a little bit of quality to be first XI but could be a very useful player for us if he improves his finishing because he gets into good positions.

Leonetti

Another thing people always forget is that player development isn't linear. Some players reach a high level at age 21 and are touted to reach the levels of the world's best, but fail to push on. Others gradually add pieces to their game, year after year, and peak in their late 20's.

I'm not sure Lingard has much more upside to push to, but if he can achieve a bit more consistency in presenting an attacking threat and delivering end product then he goes from just a squad player to pushing for a starting spot. As things stand he's easily deserving of his place as a member of the squad and people that slate him constantly are just over the top.
Nothing to disagree with. If the "better" players would actually play better then they would get the games. Jose sees something in him that he likes even if it's just his energy and movement to create space for these "better" players that should be in ahead of him (according to some).

Whether he has more upside I don't know. If he can play like he did yesterday against smaller teams consistently then he will prove useful down the years. If he improves then more power to him and he will be more than just useful.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Only pace which just isn't enough for us, he doesn't offer more than mhiki, a lot of people are saying "oh well Martial isn't performing" but martial isn't being played through the middle.
I agree that currently as we don't have many options with mhiki rested and mata injured and Rooney losing all footballing ability that lingard will play but I can only hope we strength the squad next window in his position and he can go back to 20 games a season as opposed to what will likely be 40
It's not just pace. It's also movement. Lingard's biggest strength is his constant off-the-ball movement, and it's probably better than any of our other attacking players. Unfortunately the off-the-ball movement is probably our biggest weakness as a team, as even in games where we've packed our team with pure pace we still aren't cutting teams apart. Martial in particular is poor at it, but he's not the only one. Hell, I wouldn't even say Lingard is amazingly good at it, but he's still better than anybody else in our team.

I do agree that I hope we strengthen enough that he isn't looked at as a regular starter (or to become that he'd have to continue to improve further), but I do think he's under-rated by many on this forum.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Consistency is the main problem, yes squad players can be consistent before we go on that merry go round
Sure, but that doesn't justify hate imo.

Some people dislike him so much that they can't stand the handshakes he does with other players or dance moves.
It's just petty and immature, especially from grown men.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The only disappointing aspect of Lingard is a lack of goals considering the positions he often gets into. He really should be looking to push on score about 10 a season which given I expect him to be a squad player would be a good tally.

dirkey

I see people stating that they don't think Lingard has more upside - I think he has. I think he has shown it. Look at his goal recently, or his finish in the FA Cup Final. That's in him. The fact he doesn't do it more often doesn't mean he's not capable of it. He's definitely capable of it, as he has proven before. It's getting him to do it on a more consistent basis. I don't think he'll ever be world class, but he's capable of more than he's showing right now, that's for sure.

We need an rvn

Some people dislike him so much that they can't stand the handshakes he does with other players or dance moves.
Some people just don't like a player no matter how hard he works or when he does well and thus pick on the little things they hate. Agree it's petty but Jesse's done well the last few games and he'll be a decent squad player for sure over the next few years, not sure he has the talent to become more than a squad player though.

The handshake / dancing doesn't bother me one iota - not that I'm comparing him to Ronaldinho but I don't recall any haters for when he shook his hips after scoring!

izzydiggler

The problem with Lingard is that we have far too many squad-level players and not enough game-changing first team ones. In isolation pretty much all these players would be considered good enough but with all of them on the pitch at once, we continually struggle to score goals and win games - it's why we've had so many draws and haven't challenged for the league.

In short, the better we get, the more worth the likes of Lingard will be - he'll also improve with games and age. I don't think he'll ever be 'great' or even 'very good' but after some top class signings, he'll become a respected part of the squad, who regularly contributes...well we shall see.

SirScholes

Agreed but I'm yet to see a single post from someone that says they personally hate him, it's just being thrown around as defence

wythyred

He is slowly becoming one of my fav players.

He is never going to be a world beater but he has the potential to develop into a Pedro class of player.

GM K

Why do p
The problem with Lingard is that we have far too many squad-level players and not enough game-changing first team ones. In isolation pretty much all these players would be considered good enough but with all of them on the pitch at once, we continually struggle to score goals and win games - it's why we've had so many draws and haven't challenged for the league.

In short, the better we get, the more worth the likes of Lingard will be - he'll also improve with games and age. I don't think he'll ever be 'great' or even 'very good' but after some top class signings, he'll become a respected part of the squad, who regularly contributes...well we shall see.
Why do people keep saying they don't think this lad will ever become great or very good or world class?

I think he is well on his way to becoming one. He has speed, excellent off the ball movement, his close control is not bad at all, he seems very hardworking, he packs a good shot, he is not scared of the big occassions, he enjoys football, he plays with some world class players, he is managed by Jose Mourinho and he's in United's first team. So why won't he become great? You can't write off such a player who is still 25. What if he is one of those guys who really start playing at 28?

I like the lad. I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Philadelphian

Why do p

Why do people keep saying they don't think this lad will ever become great or very good or world class?

I think he is well on his way to becoming one. He has speed, excellent off the ball movement, his close control is not bad at all, he seems very hardworking, he enjoys football, he plays with some world class players, he is managed by Jose Mourinho and he's in United's first team.
I've been a critic, but am starting to come around on him a little more. I see the way he moves around and makes runs, but it's still not leading to much in terms of end product. He seeks space because he gets muscled off the ball like a teenager still, which is fine, not everyone is a tank. But that becomes easy to defend against as his mark will just learn to stay tight with him. The positive is that he does have the knack for finding the space. He'll likely need to improve his technical ability in tighter spaces as he won't be afforded as much room. So at 24 there is still quite a lot of development needed in his game if he is to remain a solid option off the bench.

GM K

I've been a critic, but am starting to come around on him a little more. I see the way he moves around and makes runs, but it's still not leading to much in terms of end product. He seeks space because he gets muscled off the ball like a teenager still, which is fine, not everyone is a tank. But that becomes easy to defend against as his mark will just learn to stay tight with him. The positive is that he does have the knack for finding the space. He'll likely need to improve his technical ability in tighter spaces as he won't be afforded as much room. So at 24 there is still quite a lot of development needed in his game if he is to remain a solid option off the bench.

Very much on point.

The key for me is his attitude. He looks very, very determined. His script reads like a guy who you think won't cut it but just keeps making you doubt your notion every now and then with a special performance. One day, he'll become consistent at giving such performances and then everyone will come to accept him as good enough.

izzydiggler

Very much on point.

The key for me is his attitude. He looks very, very determined. His script reads like a guy who you think won't cut it but just keeps making you doubt your notion every now and then with a special performance. One day, he'll become consistent at giving such performances and then everyone will come to accept him as good enough.
I hope you're right but I've seen little to suggest he'll ever reach anything above a good squad player - no shame in that and he could still be a valuable member in the squad but the idea that he'll suddenly start giving consistent "special performances" seems a huge stretch to me.

Hard working decent squad player is his ceiling IMO. Again, nothing wrong with that and he could be valuable but...

GM K

I hope you're right but I've seen little to suggest he'll ever reach anything above a good squad player - no shame in that and he could still be a valuable member in the squad but the idea that he'll suddenly start giving consistent "special performances" seems a huge stretch to me.

Hard working decent squad player is his ceiling IMO. Again, nothing wrong with that and he could be valuable but...

Well if you are a squad player in a team like United especially after the team has been strengthened, then you have to be a very solid player and like you said, no shame in that at all.

Bwuk

Don't think he's a wide player, always think his best games or moments are when he's central playing off a forward.

Art

Art the artist
He is integral to our team over the course of a season. Love that he's taken his chances.

Mike09

To be fair though, whether it's mature or immature the most important thing is that he's acting like a professional footballer by work his shocks off. Those handshakes or dab move are just for fun and entertaining. We shouldn't care less about that. It's not like there are any negative effects for the team. Being professional is the most important thing. Ryan Giggs might cheat on his wife but in football he's a true example of professional.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Still needs to score in Europa League game to be considered as a regular starter.

To me he's a squad player, and a club like Man United shouldn't rely on Lingard week in week out.

He's doing good since Boro, especially down the middle and run at CBs he's pretty good.

Anyway, he's doing fine now, but he has to score more goals, or create more situation

TheBiggest

Outstanding player for us...and anyone saying any different is a spoilt idiot.

Sir Alex and Mourinho are big fans, but you're not? Please!

We need to build squads around the likes of Lingard and stop this awful habit we have of signing in "world class" players like Falcao, Di Maria, Ibrahimovic....the problem with Manchester United right now is that we lack identity. It's players like Lingard who will give us a sense of identity. Well worth the contract and then some.

Players United fans used to hate such as Wes Brown, Darren Flethcer, John O'Shea are players you all praise to the hilt now - Lingard will be honoured by United fans by th end of his career as a 'great' and you'll all forget you used to think he was a bit shit.

Some United fans are so fickle that they almost make it embarrassing to be a United fan or to be associated with the 'stereotypical United fan'.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.

We need to build squads around the likes of Lingard and stop this awful habit we have of signing in "world class" players like Falcao, Di Maria, Ibrahimovic....the problem with Manchester United right now is that we lack identity. It's players like Lingard who will give us a sense of identity. Well worth the contract and then some.

Players United fans used to hate such as Wes Brown, Darren Flethcer, John O'Shea are players you all praise to the hilt now - Lingard will be honoured by United fans by th end of his career as a 'great' and you'll all forget you used to think he was a bit shit.

Some United fans are so fickle that they almost make it embarrassing to be a United fan or to be associated with the 'stereotypical United fan'.
I don't say that I hate him. I just think that he's average, and won't make us improve, or winning the title in the league. Players like Aguero, Hazard and co are winning titles, Lingard not.

He's only a squad player.

I used to love Brown, Fletch or Sheazy, but these guys once had the level to play in a CL final, Lingard not !

I don't say that we need WC players, Herrera is not but he's what we need. I don't like Ibra and I want him to leave this summer to be honest.

I just say that Lingard is a starter since last year and we are only 5th in the table with him.

If you're happy to have local boys and playing mid table, you're not exigent enough. What did Keano said about Fletch and Ronaldo ? They were not good enough at that time. Same for Lingard and Rashford. They're not ready to be starter (I think Lingard is not good enough)

You compared him with Brown etc, but I'd rather compare him with Cleverley

TheBiggest

I don't say that I hate him. I just think that he's average, and won't make us improve, or winning the title in the league. Players like Aguero, Hazard and co are winning titles, Lingard not.

He's only a squad player.

I used to love Brown, Fletch or Sheazy, but these guys once had the level to play in a CL final, Lingard not !

I don't say that we need WC players, Herrera is not but he's what we need. I don't like Ibra and I want him to leave this summer to be honest.

I just say that Lingard is a starter since last year and we are only 5th in the table with him.

If you're happy to have local boys and playing mid table, you're not exigent enough. What did Keano said about Fletch and Ronaldo ? They were not good enough at that time. Same for Lingard and Rashford. They're not ready to be starter (I think Lingard is not good enough)

You compared him with Brown etc, but I'd rather compare him with Cleverley

Well, this post proves you have learned absolutely nothing about football during your lifetime.

Godfather

Jesus Christ. Outstanding? You are having a laugh. It's good to have him as he isn't throwing a tantrum at being a squad player. Youth product as well so nice to have him. Still starting way too many matches though. And nothing SAF ever did suggested he was a "big fan" of him.

TheBiggest

Ferguson on Lingard:

"Jesse Lingard is going to be some player. He has come through our youth system and is built like Jean Tigana was for France. But he never got into the limelight there until he was about 24, and I think that will be the same with Lingard.He is a player this club has very high hopes for."

Ferguson predicted Lingard would get into the United first team as a regular at about 23/24-years of age and would become established from there.

He has scored two sublime goals for us in cup finals, but because he came through the youth system and isn't foreign with a cute name like Lingardo...some United fans deem him not good enough.

By the way, Tigana hadn't even signed for Lyon at 23...and was nowhere near as established as an international by then as Lingard was. In fact, he didn't get his first cap until he was 25.

So have some patience and have some fecking respect!

TheBiggest

I swear to christ, if it was all over the news that United were gonna sign a young Portuguese guy by the name of Jesse Lingardo, some poster here would be posting up this video on YouTube and we'd all be so bloody excited at the prospect of signing him.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Once again, very threatening when playing down the middle (like the Middlesbrough game). Probably lacks a little bit of quality to be first XI but could be a very useful player for us if he improves his finishing because he gets into good positions.
Yep his end product needs massive improvement as never really confident in him when shooting and gives away possession cheaply at times. Was a good foil for Rashford on Sunday but we need better imo.

TheBiggest

The lack of respect in this thread makes me embarrassed to be associated with the collective "United fans".

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ferguson on Lingard:

"Jesse Lingard is going to be some player. He has come through our youth system and is built like Jean Tigana was for France. But he never got into the limelight there until he was about 24, and I think that will be the same with Lingard.He is a player this club has very high hopes for."

Ferguson predicted Lingard would get into the United first team as a regular at about 23/24-years of age and would become established from there.

He has scored two sublime goals for us in cup finals, but because he came through the youth system and isn't foreign with a cute name like Lingardo...some United fans deem him not good enough.

By the way, Tigana hadn't even signed for Lyon at 23...and was nowhere near as established as an international by then as Lingard was. In fact, he didn't get his first cap until he was 25.

I don't think it's disrespectful to think Lingard is a squad player for us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ferguson on Lingard:

Unfortunately that seems to be the way these days. If a player isn't in the first team by 18 and a world star by 20 then he's a flop. Most people don't fully mature and understand the game until their late 20's. Writing them off that early is a silly thing to do.

Saying that though I think too many young players head to big clubs early.

People like Memphis should stay at smaller clubs and grow first.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I swear to christ, if it was all over the news that United were gonna sign a young Portuguese guy by the name of Jesse Lingardo, some poster here would be posting up this video on YouTube and we'd all be so bloody excited at the prospect of signing him.

Fergie said similar about Tom Cleverley and quite a few before them. Truth being we'd be falling over ourselves over most players on YouTube videos. But the reality is I'm a season ticket holder and have watched Lingard over the past two seasons and saw an average player. Yes he's likeable and I want him to do well just like I did CBJ, Bardsley, Blackett, McNair, Cleverley, Wilson, King, Gibson and Adnan all before him. But the truth being judged on his performances is he is not good enough in my opinion to be a consistent starter. Nothing to do with his name or nationality. Think using that argument is just wrong.

Ps that is one of the worst highlight videos ever!

Last edited:

Godfather

Ferguson on Lingard:

Meh. If he was foreign he probably would have been sold already.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yep his end product needs massive improvement as never really confident in him when shooting and gives away possession cheaply at times. Was a good foil for Rashford on Sunday but we need better imo.
Fair enough, Lingard's shooting really lets him down.

Robertd0803

Its Lingards inability to score tap-ins is more of a concern than his ability to score wonder goals in fairness.

top1whoisman

Scout
Its Lingards inability to score tap-ins is more of a concern than his ability to score wonder goals in fairness.
If by tap-ins you mean close range finishes, I wouldn't say his ratio of scoring vs missing is that bad. Or would you say he missed a lot of easy chances?

Robertd0803

Youtube blocked so cant see the videos you have posted sorry. Seems that he misses a lot of straightforward chances while being much more likely to score a wonder goal. The West Ham one where him and Valencia miss/hit the post from a yard out springs to mind and Im sure theres a few from last season as well. Im sure he missed a sitter against West Brom before scoring a wonder strike to win the game.

top1whoisman

Scout
Ok how do I address this, are you blinded to the fact that you are able to post the majority of his career goals on one post? No?
That's always a classy way to address it. Most of his goals from last two seasons, yes. All of them back up the argument that he's pretty good at shooting, in my opinion. I thought we weren't discussing whether he's scored plenty of not, but about his shooting ability. I think it's unfair to say he doesn't have a good shot. Actually I'd say he has one of the best shooting techniques in the squad. Would you say he misses a lot of chances because of his poor shooting? Or in general?

Last edited:

worldinmotion66

I'm a fan of Lingard, but ultimately 5 goals and 3 assists for an attacking player in 32 appearances isn't enough to be challenging for the title. We can get more from him, and I think he will continue to improve. Our attack has been pretty toothless this year though, and I think he'd flourish in an attack with more movement.

I still have high hopes for him.

top1whoisman

Scout
I can actually imagine the scenario if he was a foreign 24-year old forward: Caf posting clips of the Palace, Leicester, Boro etc. goals and saying we should sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.