Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Martial was poor for more than one game,
Problem is your are expecting starter level performance from our squad player, if Lingard is consistent enough he would never consider squad player.
Right now we don't have option to play better player on that position so its better he is performing, we can replace him in next window.
Yes, Martial has played more than one poor game but when he does he's out of the team immediately, but that does not apply to Lingard who gets chance after chance without delivering , if it's fair for one it should be fair for all.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yes, Martial has played more than one poor game but when he does he's out of the team immediately, but that does not apply to Lingard who gets chance after chance without delivering , if it's fair for one it should be fair for all.
Not really. If Mourinho thinks Lingard is performing to the level he is capable of he can hardly drop him until someone outperforms him. Martial is clearly not performing to the level of which he is capable hence Mourinho drops him to try to get a reaction.

Paul the Wolf

Not really. If Mourinho thinks Lingard is performing to the level he is capable of he can hardly drop him until someone outperforms him. Martial is clearly not performing to the level of which he is capable hence Mourinho drops him to try to get a reaction.
If Lingard is performing at his maximum level, we are in deep trouble. How can someone outperform him if Lingard is in the team and the other player doesn't get a chance.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If Lingard is performing at his maximum level, we are in deep trouble. How can someone outperform him if Lingard is in the team and the other player doesn't get a chance.
Are you seriously trying to suggest Martial etc haven't had chances? According to Manutd.com Martial has 22 starts, 10 sub appearances, 7 goals. Mkhitaryan has 23 starts and 8 sub apps, 9 goals. Mata has 29 starts, 9 sub apps, 10 goals. Rashford has 23 starts, 19 sub appearances, 8 goals. Lingard has 19 starts, 11 sub appearances, 5 goals.

Tbh none of those stats are awful IMO, they're just not good enough for a team who want to play 433. For me the real problem is that the midfielders (and defenders tbf) aren't chipping in with enough goals. We should either be playing 442 and giving Rashford or Martial a run up front with Ibra, or we need to do more to get Herrera, Pogba, Rojo, Shaw etc scoring and taking some of the burden off the forwards.

Paul the Wolf

Are you seriously trying to suggest Martial etc haven't had chances? According to Manutd.com Martial has 22 starts, 10 sub appearances, 7 goals. Mkhitaryan has 23 starts and 8 sub apps, 9 goals. Mata has 29 starts, 9 sub apps, 10 goals. Rashford has 23 starts, 19 sub appearances, 8 goals. Lingard has 19 starts, 11 sub appearances, 5 goals.

Tbh none of those stats are awful IMO, they're just not good enough for a team who want to play 433. For me the real problem is that the midfielders (and defenders tbf) aren't chipping in with enough goals. We should either be playing 442 and giving Rashford or Martial a run up front with Ibra, or we need to do more to get Herrera, Pogba, Rojo, Shaw etc scoring and taking some of the burden off the forwards.
They have all had chances but Mkhi, Zlatan, Mata and Martial should be currently the main 4 and even some of Lingard's fans admit he should be a squad player, but he's not very far behind the others in appearances who should be first teamers. We keep changing too much and as soon as a player has one poor game, he's out of the team, we need players to play a run of games together to get a better understanding.
It's clear Mourinho doesn't yet trust Martial or Mkhi to some extent but will trust Lingard just for his effort.
This problem I thought had been resolved in December but we've gone backward since.

Obviously tiredness, injuries and suspensions have to be taken into consideration but there is too much chopping and changing

stevoc

Martial had a poor game last night when he came on, difference is Martial has one poor game and he's taken out of the team, Lingard can play as many poor games as he likes and it makes no difference. 90% of the time he is awful and even on the rare occasion he actually does something even in those games he hardly lights up the rest of his time on the field.
With the other players at least you are anticipating something to happen even if it doesn't come off, with Lingard you get consistency , consistently the same old nothing.
Indeed there has been way too much chopping and changing in the wide areas in general. Going into the season most would have said Martial and Mkhitaryan will be our first choice wide players. But nobody bar Mata has really been given a good run to cement their place in the side.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Anyone wanna moan about Jesse's new contract today..? :lol:

His movement has been very good today. Very good.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Good performance, presses the hell out of opponents. Unfortunately the stupid handshake with Rashford ruins today's good performance for me. Am I doin' it right?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Meh. This was a 57k a week performance at best. Dele Alli is on less and he scores actual goals. Not impressed.

Dave46

Everytime I open this thread, the movement is good. Can he play one-two, can he cross, can he score goals? He did a few goals, but for an advanced position in a great team, he should get only 10-15 minutes a game and let Martial and Miki do heavy lifting.

kundalini

I think Lingard does better when there is more space between the lines. It's when the opposition plays with a deep block that Lingard can looking lacking in speed and skill. Still needs to work on his finishing, as do many of United's attacking players.

He put in a good performance in the number 10 role against Man City away last season when we won through Rashford's goal.

Fracture90

Brilliant today. As I said numerous times a very very good squad option to have and he proved that again today.

Club giving him the new contract just motivated him even more by showing to him that club and the manager are counting on him big time.

The fact he's our academy product makes it that sweeter!

SirScholes

He isn't judged on one game it's the season as a whole, he did alright today but nothing spectacular, had good chances to actually do something and messed up but tht doesn't change he's decent display.

Problem isn't against big teams where he is tasked with being a pest but the other 80% of the season where he has to be better in the final third.

If you're asking if that performance today merits a player getting 100k a week? No, no it doesn't

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is getting better and better albeit still inconsistent. But at some point it will even out and he may just turn into quite a player.

Loved his play today. Was so dangerous causing Chelsea panic with his pressing and interchange with Rashford.

Very handy option to have in the squad and along with Rashford, gives the squad some soul and connection to Manchester.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He was brilliant today, anyone still dropping digs in about his contract or qualifying faint praise with moaning about other performances quite frankly needs to get a fecking life.

Ixion

I'll have to watch the game back again as I can barely remember him doing anything.

Decomposing In Paris

Who cares what he's earning, he cost us nothing.

Lets talk about how he played a part in getting me on my feet a number of times today as we beat the best team in the country... convincingly.

Reminds me of a young JS Park :)

Dobbs

You can't ignore the difference position makes to this guy. He's a different player in a central role.

Ixion

Apart from schooling the Chelsea defence along with Rashford on numerous occasions, he did nothing... yeah.
I mean I saw Rashford do that a few times you're right but maybe someone can post some highlights or gifs of Lingard doing it as I genuinely don't remember it.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I mean I saw Rashford do that a few times you're right but maybe someone can post some highlights or gifs of Lingard doing it as I genuinely don't remember it.
His link up play with Rashford was awesome. His movement is brilliant. That touch where he was offside was :drool:.

montpelier

Looked like a proper player today - I haven't thought that too often previously, tbh.

M Bison

Supports
York City
thought he played well, surprised there are negatives against him today.

I like Jesse and think he deserves to be in the starting 11 on current form.

Well done Jesse!

Status
Not open for further replies.