5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

He gave us good energy when coming on and helped the midfielders more then Mkhitaryan.

Walters_19_MuFc

Felt he was ok when he came on. Always tough to come on in such games and find your rhythm.

I think his extra energy was needed. Dropped onto winks, and stopped him from playing.

Going forward, didnt really get involved as much he would have liked, but provided a good cross for Rom, who was unlucky not to score.

Probably should have done better with his 1v1. Dont think he had to rush his shot.

All in all; however, I felt it was a decent little cameo from Jesse.

Viral United

I think his playing style is what we need at no 10.
He stretch play and open up spaces. problem is, he is not good enough for starting game.
Right now it's look like he will starting game against Chelsea but I can't blame, Miki is terrible.

shield

Really wanted him to score that one. It would have proved, to me atleast, that he is ready to take the starting spot from Mkhi. Unfortunately he missed which means he will still continue being nothing more than a sub. It is important for Lingard to score the goals because he is the one who has to make the manager realise that he is good enough . Chances to impress will be few for him and he has just missed a golden opportunity .

stevoc

He wasn't too bad today played well enough, good cross for Lukaku but poor play when he was in on goal. I had a feeling he would mess it up he did the same thing in the Europa final last season.

When he came on for Mkhi he instantly dropped down in midfield and stopped the Spurs midfield dominance that had been happening with Mkhi on the pitch. The whole dynamic changed due to that.

His talent is mediocre, but atleast he tries, unlike Mkhi who doesn't contribute at all defensively.
That was definitely part of it but Spurs taking off Son and bringing on Llorente around the same time helped us as well i think. Before that it was 6-7 vs United's 4-5 in midfield at times in the first half.

SambaBoy

Why did he keep need to look behind him, did it 3-4 times, should have done it once, seen it was Eriksen chasing him and then concentrated on his first touch, good first touch, head down, drive towards goal and put it away. That was really poor from him but as usual he did give us good energy and movement.

JoaquinJoaquin

I thought he done alright when he came on to be honest. He should of scored that chance and he did look very heavy legged (which is something he normally never is) but aside from that he done quite well.

Let's be honest, Lingard or Mkhitaryan aren't the long term answer at 10 anyways. The Ozil links make perfect sense and he would be a fantastic signing. Also makes sense why Jose would want Griezmann to play as a second striker instead to.

Nice pass from the extreme right pocket. I wish we scored from that.
When he finds himself clear on goal though I really think he needs to be more determined to finish it off. More killer instinct and less thinking about what might go wrong.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As usual arse collapsed when finding himself in a good position. The goals versus Swansea were unfortunately unusual in how well he took them. Would love him to succeed but he’s not shown anything to suggest he would.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
As usual arse collapsed when finding himself in a good position. The goals versus Swansea were unfortunately unusual in how well he took them. Would love him to succeed but he’s not shown anything to suggest he would.
Yeah decent squad option, his best assest is off the ball movment. Apart from that i dont really see what he is good at.

Pace Abuser

His pace is the biggest myth in football. I've watched him at OT a couple of times when he was playing on the side of the pitch where I was sat... he's not particulary special in that regard.

Oscie

Is his pace a fallacy? Without looking back on it I can't remember who is was but 10 or so minutes after he came on he was brutally outpaced by a Spurs player down the left hand side when a zipped ball was played into their half, despite having a head start and despite presumably being far fresher having only recently came on.

He runs but I wouldn't label him particularly pacey.

Oscie

The way he was through yet kept turning around to look behind him was odd. Maybe I'm being too harsh but it really isn't what you'd expect someone of his age and level of experience to do. It's like I said, in so many ways his game/performance is often indistinguishable from what you'd expect from a teenage rookie making his very first appearances for the first team.

SER19

Much maligned but a useful player. When on form he can actually be very good,

Regards yesterday's miss though he simply has to run across eriksen, can't be touched then, was a poor moment from him but I do feel he offers a bit of energy and gets "between the lines" quite well

Oscie

Much maligned but a useful player. When on form he can actually be very good,

Regards yesterday's miss though he simply has to run across eriksen, can't be touched then, was a poor moment from him but I do feel he offers a bit of energy and gets "between the lines" quite well

Sorry I don't think he's maligned at all. I think most people accurately assess him to be fairly average but, like you, think that maybe he can be useful to have around sometimes. Others, bizarrely, take umbrage to that and then overcompensate by calling bang-average performances 'fantastic', accusing other people who disagree 'haters' or other such nonsense.

He's the only player I can name where not massively overrating him is routinely defined as 'maligning' him.

SER19

Sorry I don't think he's maligned at all. I think most people accurately assess him to be fairly average but, like you, think that maybe he can be useful to have around sometimes. Others, bizarrely, take umbrage to that and then overcompensate by calling bang-average performances 'fantastic', accusing other people who disagree 'haters' or other such nonsense.

He's the only player I can name where not massively overrating him is routinely defined as 'maligning' him.

Hmm, I feel even reading the first page of this thread shows that while mixed opinions out there, many posts fit the definition of a maligned player. And that's one page. "Garbage", "sell" "rubbish" I think justify my choice of words perfectly

Same page, "get rid" "one of the luckiest people alive" "tricked a new contract"

Oscie

Hmm, I feel even reading the first page of this thread shows that while mixed opinions out there, many posts fit the definition of a maligned player. And that's one page. "Garbage", "sell" "rubbish" I think justify my choice of words perfectly
Yeah but that's the other end of the spectrum. The people who think unless we've 14 World Class arse cheeks pressing against the bench each week that somehow it's shameful. Usually people who get an erection whenever Guardiola comes on TV.

Rossa

More nippy than pacey I guess a bit like with J.S. Park.
Lingard is almost good at many things. In terms of pace, his acceleration is almost good enough and his top speed almost good enough. He sometimes looks faster than he is because he is agile and runs pretty well through the middle, almost similar to Miki.

Lingers did have that run showing good top speed last season where he got a perfect assist to Ibra. That was a one off I think.

fellaini's barber

Every professional footballer including the ones we mock at other clubs occasionally have good games, Lingard is not really different from some of the dross players at bottom table clubs. People have been using 'but he scored at Wembley' defence to justify his continued inclusion in the team , several months later it's become 'but he scored 2 against Swansea'. The fact that he has a good game or scores some goals every few months doesn't doesn't make him a good player. Any decent attacking footballer from Niasse to Benteke to fecking Andy Carrol can do that too if they play often enough. I don't know why posters get attacked when they say he's shite. He really is shite, the fact that he's local, scores every few months, runs around a lot is not enough to be considered a good player, the fact that some people's standards are much lower does not make you a 'better' fan or give you the right to insult anyone who hold United players to a higher standard

Dobbs

Has he lost pace or was it the pitch? Did well after coming on. Much better than the sloppy Mkhitaryan.
I don't think it was to do with pace in that instance. More that he panicked and dithered.

Agree that right now he'd be preferable to Mkhi.

Roboc7

I don't see point in starting him in number ten position at home in this kind of game, he just runs around a lot and doesn't really have much impact.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As a winger he is bad but as a no10 he is awful. Fellaini looks like f.totti in compare with lingard.

Sylar

I still think his best games / moments have come from the right of midfield / attack.

Devil may care

Didn't really get into the game and then got a knock, at least it seemed like a knock rather than a muscle pull.

RooneyLegend

Why do we have him in our team? as in what role does he actually fulfill? i prefer squad players who add something but I'm not quite sure what he adds.

yfoFC

I thought he played the simple passes well which michy hasn't been doing for weeks now so that's a plus. Lacks real quality and I'll prefer him on the right but between he and Michy ATM I'd pick lingard for the no 10 spot

In the second half I can count a couple of times when darmian or someone will be free down the flanks and time and again either mata or michy chose to ignore them and play the difficult pass to a player under pressure which led to us losing the ball

That's been the most frustrating part of our play in recent weeks and lingard did pick out some of us those passes in the first half so fair play to him

Fahad Jawaid

Him and Miki both are pointless players for us. Atleast with miki when he gets into promising positions he can (sometimes) pick out a player, but putting him (Miki) in any sort of high pressure match with any physical contact will likely result in playing with 10 players. With Lingard, he is just an average player who screams mediocrity. He will score some good goals but keep missing easy chances, he hardly runs with the ball from the middle to open up space with is one of the good attributes of Miki, Lastly what i hate most about him is he goes into hiding and does not offer himself. I have alot of time for Rashford and Martial who keeps trying and make something happen, but not players without any bottle. However he runs alot so its all fine right?

Kostov

I thought he played the simple passes well which michy hasn't been doing for weeks now so that's a plus. Lacks real quality and I'll prefer him on the right but between he and Michy ATM I'd pick lingard for the no 10 spot

In the second half I can count a couple of times when darmian or someone will be free down the flanks and time and again either mata or michy chose to ignore them and play the difficult pass to a player under pressure which led to us losing the ball

That's been the most frustrating part of our play in recent weeks and lingard did pick out some of us those passes in the first half so fair play to him
He had something like 14 passes, I'm not sure he attempted anything creative or something you would expect from a Manchester United number 10. Based on what would you pick Lingard ahead of Mkhitaryan?

yfoFC

He had something like 14 passes, I'm not sure he attempted anything creative or something you would expect from a Manchester United number 10. Based on what would you pick Lingard ahead of Mkhitaryan?
Based on him completing the easy passes to keep our attack flowing. Michy hasn't been making any creative passes for a while now and in addition to that he has forgotten how to complete even 5 yard passes

Michy on form and in general I'd choose over lingard any day any time but this version of michy we've been stuck with the past few weeks now despite enough chances to rectify his form?

I'd choose lingard 'cause I know I won't get anything creative from him but at least he won't stop our attacks with his uncanny ability to find the opposition basically every single time

Siorac

Based on him completing the easy passes to keep our attack flowing. Michy hasn't been making any creative passes for a while now and in addition to that he has forgotten how to complete even 5 yard passes

Michy on form and in general I'd choose over lingard any day any time but this version of michy we've been stuck with the past few weeks now despite enough chances to rectify his form?

I'd choose lingard 'cause I know I won't get anything creative from him but at least he won't stop our attacks with his uncanny ability to find the opposition basically every single time
Or we could try a line-up that includes neither of them.

yfoFC

Or we could try a line-up that includes neither of them.
That's music to my ears tbh but our manager sees things differently and so I'm giving my opinion based on the choices he put on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.