Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What planet are some people living on, 20+ goals and assists from a squad player? We had 1 player with that last season. City had 3. In 15/16 City had 3 and we had 3 (one of which was Rooney). 14/15 City had 2, we had 1 (again Rooney). How is it reasonable at all to then expect a squad player to get 20+ when top teams are lucky to have 3 players get 20+ all season?

Paul_Scholes18

What planet are some people living on, 20+ goals and assists from a squad player? We had 1 player with that last season. City had 3. In 15/16 City had 3 and we had 3 (one of which was Rooney). 14/15 City had 2, we had 1 (again Rooney). How is it reasonable at all to then expect a squad player to get 20+ when top teams are lucky to have 3 players get 20+ all season?
Expectations on our players seem to always be much higher compared to other teams. Strange a lot of the times. I think people are blinded by highlights. They watch the highlights only from other teams and only see the good things players do. With us they see everything, but expect us to perform highlight worthy stuff every second.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Expectations on our players seem to always be much higher compared to other teams. Strange a lot of the times. I think people are blinded by highlights. They watch the highlights only from other teams and only see the good things players do. With us they see everything, but expect us to perform highlight worthy stuff every second.
It was the same at the start of the season. I can't remember what it was exactly but something like expecting 5-6 players to get 10+ goals in all comps. Something again where top teams are lucky to get 3-4 who do that yet some are expecting that at the least. People are just whipping out numbers without any clue what is actually a reasonable expectation.

Paul_Scholes18

It was the same at the start of the season. I can't remember what it was exactly but something like expecting 5-6 players to get 10+ goals in all comps. Something again where top teams are lucky to get 3-4 who do that yet some are expecting that at the least. People are just whipping out numbers without any clue what is actually a reasonable expectation.
Yeah I guess they probably expected us to score like 100 goals. It is possible I think. Then our strikers might get around 50 goals I guess. Lukaku 20-25, Martial/Rashford/Zlatan around 10 each hard to predict who will get most. Pogba, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Lingard 6-7. Young, Fellaini around 5. Then the rest will chip in with some extra goals as well, but not many.

Robertd0803

What a goal.

Can see him starting again at the weekend. Also shows how duff Miki/Mata have been at number 10.

Dobbs

10 goals and 10 assists is bit ambitious for a back up player, I would be happy if he can get 15 goals + assists. If he plays regularly then yeah 20 is a good number.
Given our other No.10's are struggling the spot is there for him if he can show he's capable of that type of output. He has to do that part first. Chicken and egg situation with him.

Watching him I always feel he's almost good enough. Lots of stuff he does almost comes off but often it doesn't quite happen. On the cusp of being a really important player, just needs to add that bit of quality.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
A squad player who will occasionally produce moments of brilliance. That's actually so valuable. What's not to love about Lingard?
Yes true, a point made by one of the pundits last night on BT Sport, "other players like playing with Jesse, because he gives of himself"... actually if he were more selfish we might see more goals from him, like last night. Both Scholes and Rio said he had what it takes, but his consistency lets him down. He's certainly got an engine on him, how many players could have made that run, at that time in a game and finish it off with a goal?

meninred

He scored a brilliant solo goal. What surprised me is scoring such a goal without being a technical player.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
For me Lingard was always the example of how well our academy works. Not Januzaj, not Pereira, not even Rashford — but a player with clearly limited talent who, because of his education, does simple things good, moves around and shoots by the schoolbook (especially his shots from the distance).

Great performance by him.

Jeffthered

The issue with Lindgaard is consistency and application. Maybe it is his character. Both Scholes and Rio (who probably saw him develop into a young player) have said that other players need to trust him more, and I agree with that, BUT agree with Rio (and this may have been posted previously so I apologise for any repetition....) when he also added, that Lindgaard needs to be more demanding whilst on the pitch... a 'give me the ball' approach. He doesn't have this, and at 24, there is NO reason for that, unless he isn't going to be that type of player.

Does he want to be one of the best attacking midfielders in the Premiership? Only he can decide. I mean he is the same age as Pogba, yet you think that Jesse Lindgaard looks up to him, as some sort of father figure and inspiration. He shouldn't, LINDGAARD has to inspire his team. Too much of a laid back attitude has inhibited Lindgaard, and he needs to develop a Championship winning mentality, and he has no better example than Ashley Young.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
For me Lingard was always the example of how well our academy works. Not Januzaj, not Pereira, not even Rashford — but a player with clearly limited talent who, because of his education, does simple things good, moves around and shoots by the schoolbook (especially his shots from the distance).

Great performance by him.
Agreed.

RedStarUnited

Yeah I guess they probably expected us to score like 100 goals. It is possible I think. Then our strikers might get around 50 goals I guess. Lukaku 20-25, Martial/Rashford/Zlatan around 10 each hard to predict who will get most. Pogba, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Lingard 6-7. Young, Fellaini around 5. Then the rest will chip in with some extra goals as well, but not many.
In all comps? We scored 100+ last year.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
This is what Scholes said last night about him, & it probably sums up what most feel:

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/schole...ns-form-is-bad-news-for-big-money-man-utd-man
Comparing Lingard's abilities to Mkhitaryan's is a bit over the top. Scholes is generally wrong in his punditry. Plus Rio and Scholes are also biased towards an Academy player. Obviously. Like most people on here are biased against Welbeck and Lingard for being local lads.

He's severely limited. Has absolutely no presence on the pitch. Can't seem him improving. He will always probably be good as a Plan C at a big club. United are a big club with several mid-table players and some old players like Zlatan, Valencia, Young and Carrick (Mata to join that group soon).

No other top 4 team in any league will pick a Lingard while at full squad fitness.

Canagel

Lingard has shown he is capable of producing brilliant moments of quality but there is no consistency. He will score a worldie from nowhere and then go missing for 5 games. It's not good enough for a club of United's stature. We need him to be on it every game or most games at least to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Lingard is still a long away from that but I have no problem starting him over Mkhi and Mata on their current form. Long term we need an upgrade on all of them. My suggestion would be Fekir from Lyon. He is someone we need to be looking at in the future.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Lingard has shown he is capable of producing brilliant moments of quality but there is no consistency. He will score a worldie from nowhere and then go missing for 5 games. It's not good enough for a club of United's stature. We need him to be on it every game or most games at least to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Lingard is still a long away from that but I have no problem starting him over Mkhi and Mata on their current form. Long term we need an upgrade on all of them. My suggestion would be Fekir from Lyon. He is someone we need to be looking at in the future.
Navin Fekir is awesome. Someone more ready made for the PL would be Riyad Mahrez. He'll sort a lot of our problems on the right.

Minimalist

Started that all himself and finished it brilliantly. Can't credit him higher - great stuff.

binary bot
He needs to stop these celebrations, he’s never going to make Garths team of the week

SER19

4 things about that goal
1. Fantastic work to win it
2. Very clever run to get back on side then make good run for lukaku
3. When lukaku didn't use him he changed his run and made another great one inwards for martial
4. Brilliant finish,

The angry caf keyboard pounders know best but maybe he's not worthy of the amount of absolute shit he gets

NinjaFletch

Yeah, but he has no consistency or whatever the excuse was for not giving him credit during the week.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nice one. I don't care about Lingard tbh but i just thought the hate he was getting was too much. I hope he continues his good run.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Loving seeing him tear it up and proving me wrong. Happy for him.

MuranoLover

The boy loves Man United and this gives him the power to compensate what he misses as skills with will and energy

Robbie Boy

Let's see at the end of the season eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.