4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

Lingard is a tough one for me, as I love his work ethic, pace and finishing quality. I am never disappointed to see him in the squad but never really see him as or becoming a world class player. I don't consider him a weakness either, and a good compliment to Mata which seems to take his place every other game. I like what both of those players bring.
I look forward to the day when Jesse's performance thread is actually about his performance.
I said yesterday that I didn't think he played well, even though I'm a fan of his, but this thread turns to shit when he doesn't have a MOTM game.
It gets infested with people explaining why he is/was/won't be good enough, yet they mainly go AWOL when he has a belter.

People want to replace him with anyone, even if they aren't as good, just to get him out. Now, Sanchez is going to see him off...

The lack of respect for a player who has scored crucial goals for us, and who makes us tick, who gets plaudits from every direction, including every manager he's had, is astonishing. And yet Sanchez, who has given us nothing, on 4 times the wage, is lauded as our saviour from Lingard.

This is a strange place.
Yeah it's a tough one. A lack of quality in certain aspects means he can be upgraded but he ticks many other boxes that makes it hard to replace him in the XI. He messes up key passes in promising attacking moves but he also knows how to make key runs without the ball that are vital to those moves. Lukaku and Mata can't quite emulate his role. Valuable squad player/12th man
Good posts.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The fact he lasts 90 minutes every game kind of shows he is not in the team just to score goals and make assists. He is a very good player to have. The kind top players love playing next to.
:lol: Are you his agent?

Loublaze

ATLien
I look forward to the day when Jesse's performance thread is actually about his performance.
I said yesterday that I didn't think he played well, even though I'm a fan of his, but this thread turns to shit when he doesn't have a MOTM game.
It gets infested with people explaining why he is/was/won't be good enough, yet they mainly go AWOL when he has a belter.

People want to replace him with anyone, even if they aren't as good, just to get him out. Now, Sanchez is going to see him off...

The lack of respect for a player who has scored crucial goals for us, and who makes us tick, who gets plaudits from every direction, including every manager he's had, is astonishing. And yet Sanchez, who has given us nothing, on 4 times the wage, is lauded as our saviour from Lingard.

This is a strange place.
He's one of the most disliked players in our squad by United fans and it has little to do with football, more to do with his personality and how he conducts himself. His critics find it hard to praise him for anything he does on the pitch.

KingOfJing88

I thought he played well. It’s no coincidence that he has usually been involved in all our best attacking performances, under every manager. His work-rate and intelligent movement creates so much space and keeps the opposition defenders guessing.

A local lad who is clearly a valuable (and popular) member of the squad. Pisses me off that he isn’t much more popular on here.
In all our best attacking performances ... what ?! And what matches are these.. the lad will never be good enough to Consistently play week in an out for this club, I gather you grew up during the 99/08 squads.. that is the level of talent this club should consistently have.. United will never win a league when players like him start 20+ pl games a season .. pisses me off how fans have begun to accept mediocre players at the club

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I really don’t understand this overreaction. It’s not like he’s being picked over a young Cristiano Ronaldo. Both our big talents Martial and Rash start regularly under OGS. We literally have zero fit options on the wing (Sanchez), and Lingard is just doing a job for us.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's a central player being asked to play on the wing, and is still out performing players who should be keeping him out of the team. Is he world class? No, he isn't. Is a good player? Of course he is, you don't need a full world class eleven to have a great team, sometimes you need players who can play a specific role well or are consistent or offer things in order to create a great team. Lingard is one of those players that might never become world class, but can always be a useful and even important player when used in the correct role and position. I don't think it's a coincidence he has been picked by Ole to play in all these games consistently. It's not just his engine, but the fact he is everywhere in these games, always linking, always managing to keep possession and keeping the team ticking. He's involved in every attack and even when he wasn't playing as well as he has done in the last two games, can anyone say he played badly? He didn't, he still contributed and was doing a lot of hard work. Could we benefit from an actual right winger as opposed to a makeshift one like Lingard? Of course, it's basic football. But to suggest United can do without players like Lingard is just wrong, all our great teams had guys like him.

Mcking

In all our best attacking performances ... what ?! And what matches are these.. the lad will never be good enough to Consistently play week in an out for this club, I gather you grew up during the 99/08 squads.. that is the level of talent this club should consistently have.. United will never win a league when players like him start 20+ pl games a season .. pisses me off how fans have begun to accept mediocre players at the club
I could say United will never win the league when players like Rashford and Martial start 20+ pl games a season. Anything wrong with that?

Andersons Dietician

I could say United will never win the league when players like Rashford and Martial start 20+ pl games a season. Anything wrong with that?
Both of them are good though, that’s the difference and look like they can improve and go up levels.

KingOfJing88

Well you’d sound idiotic ever comparing Martial and Rashford with Lingard considering both are far more talented and 4/5 years younger ! There is a big difference

ForestRGoinUp

This is a strange place.
No I think it’s been infected with too much “he makes important off ball runs that no one notices”

As in it’s been repeated so much that even people who can judge the squad objectively have started spouting it out in Jesse’s defense. What attacker in Spurs/Liverpool/City/Juve/Bayern/Dortmund/Barcelona/Madrid/etc (starter or squad player) is praised so much for off ball runs and has little impact otherwise?

Last edited:

Mcking

Both of them are good though, that’s the difference and look like they can improve and go up levels.
The only conclusion that can be made on that post is that it is as vague and as imprecise as the one I quoted.
Well you’d sound idiotic ever comparing Martial and Rashford with Lingard considering both are far more talented and 4/5 years younger ! There is a big difference
Never compared them.

An Irish Red

He gets dramatically overrated on here because of his academy status (although some people will never admit it).

He's got good workrate and he's decent technically but he's not good enough to start for us. He's one of the players that has to be upgraded on in the summer.

Viral United

There’s better out there and if he’s on the reported £100,000 plus per week then there is definitely better out there.

Somewhere like Everton bound within a year or two.
He is not 100K wages, its a narrative fans use to slat him.
Yes we need better player in that position but that doesn't mean he didn't have place in squad.
you can't buy 50M squad player for each position.

Andersons Dietician

The only conclusion that can be made on that post is that it is as vague and as imprecise as the one I quoted.

Never compared them.
Not really imprecise though is it, both Rashford and Martial are in completely different leagues to Lingard in terms of talent and ability.
To me Lingard is the new Valencia, someone who works his socks off but without the desired level of quality, like Valencia if we replace him with someone of quality we’d see a massive improvement. I do like Lingard but I really can’t understand why he deserves such fierce defence from people. He is a workhorse and runs about a lot but there isn’t the quality there to have people in such a tizzy over him. He’s a squad player or at least that is where he should be.
He wasn’t even good the last game, he was actually quite poor by his standards.

Mcking

Not really imprecise though is it, both Rashford and Martial are in completely different leagues to Lingard in terms of talent and ability.
To me Lingard is the new Valencia, someone who works his socks off but without the desired level of quality, like Valencia if we replace him with someone of quality we’d see a massive improvement. I do like Lingard but I really can’t understand why he deserves such fierce defence from people. He is a workhorse and runs about a lot but there isn’t the quality there to have people in such a tizzy over him. He’s a squad player or at least that is where he should be.
He wasn’t even good the last game, he was actually quite poor by his standards.
We won a league title with Valencia starting 20+ pl games. I don't think I need to say more.

Andersons Dietician

We won a league title with Valencia starting 20+ pl games. I don't think I need to say more.
I think you do need to say more as we won a lot of trophies with guys who weren’t let’s say of outstanding quality, we’ve even won champions leagues with them.

Simply put he’s a squad player, will always be one and he just doesn’t have the quality in that area to be a starter and when he is replaced like when people finally figured out Valencia as been holding us back we’ll at least have some normality.

What is it you like about him? Because like I’ve said in here already his movement isn’t smart, he isn’t a great passer and he doesn’t spot runs from his team mates. He thinks he is better than he is and Unfortunatly it’s detrmental to us.
His work rate is brilliant, no one can ever question that, he’d be a great option for games or moments in game when we know we are going to need extra cover. A Ji Sung Park for example, but he’s not anywhere near as good as people like to make out he is.

Mcking

I think you do need to say more as we won a lot of trophies with guys who weren’t let’s say of outstanding quality, we’ve even won champions leagues with them.
Exactly. So, "we will never win the league with players like Lingard starting 20+ pl games" couldn't sound more silly. I couldn't care less about the rest of your post tbh, your opinion and all that.

Andersons Dietician

Exactly. So, "we will never win the league with players like Lingard starting 20+ pl games" couldn't sound more silly. I couldn't care less about the rest of your post tbh, your opinion and all that.
I didn’t say that did I. The fact I’ve tried to engage you in a nice conversation and asked what it is you like about Lingard or what you’ve seen that makes you feel so strongly about him just to see your point of view and you’ve just rudely dismissed the rest of the post.

It’s a forum where people are supposed to share opinions, it just makes me think you don’t even know what you like about him.

ForestRGoinUp

I didn’t say that did I. The fact I’ve tried to engage you in a nice conversation and asked what it is you like about Lingard or what you’ve seen that makes you feel so strongly about him just to see your point of view and you’ve just rudely dismissed the rest of the post.

It’s a forum where people are supposed to share opinions, it just makes me think you don’t even know what you like about him.
I think if they spell out what they like about him or try to explain it, they start to realize they are describing a run of the mill footballer without much technical ability. If they are tasked with finding Lingard comps in the teams we are chasing at the top, they go even more quiet. The best I can come up with is a Lamela maybe, but I supposed they wouldn't want to admit that.

Red Devil's Advocate

He gets dramatically overrated on here because of his academy status (although some people will never admit it).
Same can be said about Rashford as well then. You are judging Lingard for a season where we all agree that the entire team had been playing sub-par. We are just 3 games into the new regime and he has been in our top-5 performers alongwith Pogba, DDG, Martial and Rashford. So I don't know who is being selectively blind here?

Jeffthered

Absolutely spot on. Lindgard is an average player. A lucky player in many ways, and I think he knows it.

devips

Is Lingard bribing all 5 Managers including Ferguson to get into the starting eleven consistently? I would seriously like to know.

Mcking

Well the post I replied to did and it seemed like you were disagreeing with what I was trying to prove while simultaneously giving examples that was supporting what I was saying. I apologize if my post came across as rude, but I just get annoyed when I see baseless comments made to come across as facts. I apologize.
On Lingard, he is not a player that I particularly love and I wouldn't have any problem if we successfully find an upgrade, but I have always said he is a decent player to have.
He is a very smart and extremely dynamic footballer with smart movement across the pitch, decent technique, keeps, passes and dribbles the ball well, forward minded, superb at linking his teammates and creating space whilst popping up with goals and assists. Moreover, he works really hard on the pitch, quite energetic, always on the move, selfless, always looking to make things happen and performs well in the big games. There might be some slight exaggerations as is bound to be the case with any footballer, but none of those are far from the truth.
I don't know why you'd say he thinks he is better than he is or that he is detrimental to us. You won't see many people making him out to be a great footballer. He's got limitations - like many other footballers - and many do recognise those limitations, but unlike other footballers, it seems a lot try to ignore the qualities he offers and completely focus on those limitations instead.
He is not my ideal player, but I consider him a decent player and well deserving of his place in the team. He has never being a hindrance to this team.

Pace Abuser

Love this thread. Amusing watching people twist their necks a 180 degrees trying to justify "Blingz" inclusion like it's par.

"He's the kind top players love playing with". Yeh, Messi is sulking that they've not signed Blingy J.

ForestRGoinUp

Well the post I replied to did and it seemed like you were disagreeing with what I was trying to prove while simultaneously giving examples that was supporting what I was saying. I apologize if my post came across as rude, but I just get annoyed when I see baseless comments made to come across as facts. I apologize.
On Lingard, he is not a player that I particularly love and I wouldn't have any problem if we successfully find an upgrade, but I have always said he is a decent player to have.
He is a very smart and extremely dynamic footballer with smart movement across the pitch, decent technique, keeps, passes and dribbles the ball well, forward minded, superb at linking his teammates and creating space whilst popping up with goals and assists. Moreover, he works really hard on the pitch, quite energetic, always on the move, selfless, always looking to make things happen and performs well in the big games. There might be some slight exaggerations as is bound to be the case with any footballer, but none of those are far from the truth.
I don't know why you'd say he thinks he is better than he is or that he is detrimental to us. You won't see many people making him out to be a great footballer. He's got limitations - like many other footballers - and many do recognise those limitations, but unlike other footballers, it seems a lot try to ignore the qualities he offers and completely focus on those limitations instead.
He is not my ideal player, but I consider him a decent player and well deserving of his place in the team. He has never being a hindrance to this team.
Now you're speaking in absolutes and passing it off as fact. He works hard, makes safe passes well and pops up with a few goals. He does not dribble well or beat players or play forward minded football. He doesn't turn well in traffic. He gets nudged off the ball and beat in foot races as easily as Mata does. Any contact at all will make him fluff his lines. He's a classic line fluffer in the final third actually. Turns up with a great shot occasionally, but he's not playing or receiving the killer through ball (find one for me), he's not beating his man to the touchline and putting dangerous balls in across the 6 (Rashford has been coming out to do that bit). He can't put a first time ball back into the box from wide areas because he is either out of position or lacks the composure or class to do it.

What he does do is occasionally square up and hit a ball well in front of the goal and runs his socks off. That is the base level premier league footballer that makes up the midfield and attacking options at clubs midtable and below. If we were being honest with how he is, we'd say he should only make the bench in injury crises and that we should have several options better than him, as the rivals we are chasing do.

Edit: My guess is that by the time we are back to challenging the top clubs that is all he will be OR as he seeks regular football at a much lesser club. Only time will tell of course.

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I like him, but that Maddison kid at Leicester is probably better if not, will be soon. Similar position as well. Very impressed by him.

KingOfJing88

What couldn’t sound more silly was your shocking comeback, when you can comeback with something better let me know!

Andersons Dietician

He is a very smart and extremely dynamic footballer with smart movement across the pitch, decent technique, keeps, passes and dribbles the ball well, forward minded, superb at linking his teammates and creating space whilst popping up with goals and assists.
There are things I agree with in the above and things I don’t but for me I’m not convinced he has smart movement or is good at creating space. I’ve seen him close too many spaces for others and make things difficult for them or not make the obvious run to make space to believe he actually knows what he is doing. I actually don’t think any of it is that planned by him and he mostly creates space by the fact he is just constantly on the move. He shuts down too many opportunities for me to believe he reads the game well and plans what he does. Occasionally of course he does open up space for others but I really just don’t think it’s planned. He makes awful runs.

I recall a game where Carrick has the ball and it’s an easy spot, he’s going to slip it between two defenders for Jesse to move on to in space. Basic football, Jesse is looking right at him, Carrick gestures and goes to play the ball, Jesse stands still, Carrick shouts gestures again Jesse still standing still, a 3rd time Carrick has to tell him and Carrick is now under pressure and holding his nerve and suddenly the light bulb goes on above Jesses head and finally he makes the run.

Other games and moments where he crowds space runs across peoples paths and generally just kills opportunities.

Moreover, he works really hard on the pitch, quite energetic, always on the move, selfless, always looking to make things happen and performs well in the big games. There might be some slight exaggerations as is bound to be the case with any footballer, but none of those are far from the truth.
I agree more with this and I think a lot of the people giving him stick agree with this at well, he’s basically in constant motion during a game and he is good at pressing and getting about people and he is decent at travelling with a ball although I think at this aspect he has gotten worse recently as he seems quite slow now but that might just be a Jose hangover.
In the big games he is great defensively and often in these big games players might find a bit more space on occasion and I think this is where he does well again due to his constant motion.
The reason I said that is often he tries to do things that the likes of a Pogba or Martial would do like no look lay offs but he just doesn’t have the skill or technique to do it and he is a horrible passer to boot, the amount of times he lays off or passes a ball in to someone at knee height is atrocious. I would say that is him being lazy or over-estimating his ability as nothing annoys me more than when simple passes are made hard to control by a lazy passer.

He has a place in the squad for me and he certainly has uses in games but he isn’t Messe Lingod as the title put it, and I can see why both sides get frustrated as some might just look at stats whilst others look at other things like team impact on the pitch. I guess it’s just something some will never agree on especially as from reading your opinions on him we see his skill set quite differently, maybe neither of us are wrong and you dwell on his positive performances and moments where I dwell on the moments where he doesn’t show the accuman I expect from a first team regular at United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Love this thread. Amusing watching people twist their necks a 180 degrees trying to justify "Blingz" inclusion like it's par.

"He's the kind top players love playing with". Yeh, Messi is sulking that they've not signed Blingy J.
For attacking player, Lingard is not that useful as a substitute also. Liverpool has Shaqiri as a squad player that make a different when he's sub in. That't for me the definition of a good squad player.

And you can't look no further than our current manager.

Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd

Devil may care

Didn't get a chance to do much but I loved that Ole's last sub wasn't a defensive one but a fresh pair of forward legs to try and get a 3rd and put the game completely beyond doubt.

Zlatattack

Lingard is the Phil Neville, Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Park Ji Sung, Darren Fletcher, Nicky Butt, Alan Smith, of this generation.

He's a very good player, a hard worker, intelligent at times, not a superstar but one capable of match winning moments sometimes.

He'll never be in any fans starting 11, but managers and players will appreciate him, because although he might not consistently contribute in tangible ways, he does help bring out the best in those around him.

Perfect squad player.

KingOfJing88

Lingard is the Phil Neville, Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Park Ji Sung, Darren Fletcher, Nicky Butt, Alan Smith, of this generation.

He's a very good player, a hard worker, intelligent at times, not a superstar but one capable of match winning moments sometimes.

He'll never be in any fans starting 11, but managers and players will appreciate him, because although he might not consistently contribute in tangible ways, he does help bring out the best in those around him.

Perfect squad player.

Take the Alan Smith aside as that’s a random one but the rest achieved far more and in teams which were much harder to keep a squad place in! Lingard wouldn’t get a sniff in an 18 man squad of the 99 / 08 team!

Finally he’s out the side and long may it continue

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I know he's disliked on here but I think he's important to Ole's play style, we missed him today. He helps bring the best out of Rashford and Pogba, always making himself available for quick passes and keeping defenders busy and on their toes. I think he's easily our best option on the right at the moment and until we sign a right winger, the position should be his.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
As most on here know I am far from a fan of his but I do have to say, I think we misssd his movement today.

Status
Not open for further replies.