4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Lingard suffers from inconsistency, but on a good day he is valuable for the team. Not his biggest fan, but he adds something to the team most of the time even if it isnt always end product

Marcelinho87

All those celebrating him being out of the side today I feel will regret it when they finally get their wish.

His movement in and around the box creates the space for Rashford, Martial and Pogba to operate in and it was missed a lot today.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Lingard suffers from inconsistency, but on a good day he is valuable for the team. Not his biggest fan, but he adds something to the team most of the time even if it isnt always end product
This is true. Which makes it silly when people want him out of a setup that is working for him and us. He is in pretty good form and that makes him important. We shouldn't be playing him when he is out of form, but it isn't his fault if we do.

L1nk

People are overrating him because of his academy status. It's true that people aren't admitting it, I mean he's 26 and you cannot point to one consistently good season he's had since he's come on the scene, he's had a few decent months in one season and that was his best spell, ironically under Mourinho, before, and since then, he's been bang average, because he's a bang average player, people saying he's a squad player, well, I agree personally I would get rid because of childish attitude but I digress, it's the same with Young, bang average, but whips in a good cross or a decent goal every now and again, we have too many of these players, and they're starting matches when they should be on the bench at best.

Sylar

People are overrating him because of his academy status. It's true that people aren't admitting it, I mean he's 26 and you cannot point to one consistently good season he's had since he's come on the scene, he's had a few decent months in one season and that was his best spell, ironically under Mourinho, before, and since then, he's been bang average, because he's a bang average player, people saying he's a squad player, well, I agree personally I would get rid because of childish attitude but I digress, it's the same with Young, bang average, but whips in a good cross or a decent goal every now and again, we have too many of these players, and they're starting matches when they should be on the bench at best.
TBF, can you do that for many of our players (esp attackers) since Fergie retired? Honest question.

L1nk

TBF, can you do that for many of our players (esp attackers) since Fergie retired? Honest question.
Lingard didn't impress anywhere on loan either, but no, not consistently, however, as I also mentioned, Lingard is 26, all our attackers are mainly younger, in particular Martial and Rashford who are around 4/5 years younger, and yet they're showing their quality, all anyone can say about Lingard is ''h he moves around well' or ''he does a job"

Sylar

Lingard didn't impress anywhere on loan either, but no, not consistently, however, as I also mentioned, Lingard is 26, all our attackers are mainly younger, in particular Martial and Rashford who are around 4/5 years younger, and yet they're showing their quality, all anyone can say about Lingard is ''h he moves around well' or ''he does a job"
Martial and Rashford have better potential and upside, but for all three:
"you cannot point to one consistently good season he's had since he's come on the scene," which was the point you made.

Red-17

As soon as someone else in the squad comes close to replacing what he does for the team, then maybe we can move him on. Right now though, no one really comes close to what he provides. Defensively, he is superb and has the stamina to press for 90 minutes. Offensively, his movement off the ball is among the best in the league, and he is capable of linking up with other players in quick exchanges very well. He isn't the most technically gifted player, but he doesn't have any significant weaknesses to his game which is why he is such a reliable player. Even on his off days, he still finds ways to contribute which is a valuable trait. When Martial has a bad game for example, he contributes basically nothing to the team apart from dribbling into the fullback a few times.

Andersons Dietician

I mean Martial and Rashford under LVG kinda given their ages and the situations. Lingard also came in to that team as a midfielder and did ok, but I’d say generally Martials season was good.

Johan07

Would be interesting to see him instead of Herrera against a weaker team. Or instead of Pogba if he needs a rest. Long term he is a offensive CM, not a winger.

AR87

The defensive drop off in turning the opponent over and pressing from the front with him and Rashfords not playing was palpable. We need better to put him in his ideal role as a squad player but for now he's our best option off the right side of attack.

eire-red

Lingard really is a funny one, because his movement is so intelligent and he takes up some great positions. His work rate is great and he is direct with the ball. His problems are cutting edge on the ball and consistentcy. If he could manage to sort out those weaknesses then he could be a quality player, but seeing as he is 26 and should be coming into his peak, that will probably not happen at this stage. A decent squad player though.

I don't agree with a lot of the OTT criticism he gets, but at the same time his value to the squad is often overrated, especially by the likes of English pundits on BT and Sky. Still, when he's on form I really like what he brings to the team, unfortunately we can only seem to get a maximum of 1-2 months worth of performances from him a season.

Aloysius's Back 3

Lingard being 26 is being used as some sort of negative aspect of his game. I only see him getting better as he improves - and potentially one day dropping a bit deeper when he has to time his runs much more.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
thats clearly not true

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Lingard impressed on virtually all his loans. They were all really short mid-season stints and he scored in 3/4 of them.

Seaside Aggro

Are the people who bash Lingard the same ones who bang on like Pereira is the third best player in the world all the time?

Lingard is a useful, adaptable player who on his day can win a match with something out of the blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: golden_blunder

Aloysius's Back 3

Lingard really is a funny one, because his movement is so intelligent and he takes up some great positions. His work rate is great and he is direct with the ball. His problems are cutting edge on the ball and consistentcy. If he could manage to sort out those weaknesses then he could be a quality player, but seeing as he is 26 and should be coming into his peak, that will probably not happen at this stage. A decent squad player though.

I don't agree with a lot of the OTT criticism he gets, but at the same time his value to the squad is often overrated, especially by the likes of English pundits on BT and Sky. Still, when he's on form I really like what he brings to the team, unfortunately we can only seem to get a maximum of 1-2 months worth of performances from him a season.
Ferdinand said how he rates him really highly because Lingard to him plays football in a different way to most number 10's. Some have even argued that the traditional number 10 is a dying position.

He says that Lingard plays one touch football rather than taking time on the ball and doing anything significant with a single pass to break the lines. He is a player who interlinks our attacks with a single pass on the go rather than a creator as such.

The martial goal in ole's first match showed this the best.

Lingard is going to get better if he plays as an AM in between martial & Rashford playing as strikers (rather than playing as a RW that drops in to AM/which he does) - or dropping a bit deeper & being a player that interlinks the CM's like Pogba to the forward line.

Martial - Rashford
Lingard

Or

Rashford - Lukaku/ Greenwood
Martial
Pogba - Lingard
Matic

Goal highlights the positions he should play - as a central player that interlinks the rest of the players.

I have a feeling that people who want to see an improvement on him in the future in our line up might be left a bit disappointed - only because he is going to get better.

Jib

Until we sign a true RW, Lingard should start ahead of Mata and Sanchez.

Martial---Rashford---Lingard
----------Pogba-------------

Fridge chutney

In my opinion he makes other players around him play better. That's partially because of his movement created space for other forwards but also partially because of his footballing intelligence. He's more intelligent than we give him credit for.

I think there's more he can do but I am happy with him the past few games.

Greck

Watching Sanchez play makes one realise how important it is to have a player that is willing to slot into his role as a lesser cog. Still think he can be upgraded because his lack of quality lets him down at key moments but his ideal replacement likely isn't at the club at the moment. Till then Jesse will do

LingiBW

I wish Lingard could be judged on quantifiable stats like assists,goals,key passes and the like. For now he's the best we got at RW but I for one I'm not happy with his validation being that 'he makes space for others' or 'he brings the best out of X,Y,Z player'.

I want proper output, Sterling, Mane, Sane and the like bring the best out of other by scoring, assisting and the like,not just through good movement.

Proper investment in a RW is needed then he can fight for CAM with Pogba or whoever.

Andersons Dietician

He says that Lingard plays one touch football rather than taking time on the ball and doing anything significant with a single pass to break the lines. He is a player who interlinks our attacks with a single pass on the go rather than a creator as such.
I mean I kind kind of agree with what he is saying here in that he does try to do a lot of things off of 1 pass but then there are times when he takes possession of the ball and never spots the pass or killer run made by others. He doesn’t tend to make the killer pass ever, it’s more like passing it on to someone else so he can run on which is where his habit of lazy or just poor passing quality comes from. I like him when he just keeps the ball moving and other times I’m pulling my hair out at him, he just frustrates the hell out of me.

The martial goal in ole's first match showed this the best.
It’s a shame that was a poor pass to Rashford that Martial made the most out of.
Lingard is going to get better if he plays as an AM in between martial & Rashford playing as strikers (rather than playing as a RW that drops in to AM/which he does) - or dropping a bit deeper & being a player that interlinks the CM's like Pogba to the forward line.
I think his best position has been where LVG played him as the ball carrier out of midfield but we now have Pogba doing this who has far more qualities and in the end this is what it comes down to for me in the only real space for him is RW a position that we need quality in and if we were to get a player of quality in Lingard will be sent to the bench to be the squad player he is.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I wish Lingard could be judged on quantifiable stats like assists,goals,key passes and the like. For now he's the best we got at RW but I for one I'm not happy with his validation being that 'he makes space for others' or 'he brings the best out of X,Y,Z player'.

I want proper output, Sterling, Mane, Sane and the like bring the best out of other by scoring, assisting and the like,not just through good movement.

Proper investment in a RW is needed then he can fight for CAM with Pogba or whoever.
And that is why modern fans, myself included, are sometimes so bad at judging players. 20 years ago assists were also not quantifiable.

Aloysius's Back 3

While I'm generally a fan of his, he's gonna suffer a lot once he gets older.
I personally think his ability to make the right runs in to the right places is more down to his timing than any sort of pace;as ferdinand said - Lingard is a player who is arguably a step ahead of both the attackers he plays alongside as well as the defenders that defend against him.

Whilst he may not have the ability to utilise that ability all the time/10 times a game when he gets older - I only think he will be better and more efficient at doing it.

I'd like to see him have a game at CM to see how he would do there too.

Red Devil's Advocate

I'd like to see him have a game at CM to see how he would do there too.
I see him more in a Herrera role, making runs from deep, or as a #10. Him and Pogba taking turns to attack will work wonders. However, in order to do that he will have to improve his passing when playing deep.

ForestRGoinUp

Offers nothing. Missed great chance, fecked up couple of counters especially that pass to Martial. Second half looked lost on the pitch.
Exactly. He’s not even average. Well below it. Only defense of him is his running which is hilarious when you think about it. He’s afraid of having the ball in decisive moments under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.