g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

I'd be happy with willan as well, but I feel that Costa is better at beating his man and creating space. Either of them and would make us a better team.
Yeah it would be useful to have a proper wide man.

But if you look at Manchester City last season or Liverpool this season, all of the starters in their attack is top tier?

I am pretty sure that most of United fan watch football on TV, should we assign a special tag for people like you so we know your opinion is more valued than me?

Yeah, I am sure all the armchair fan that slate Mourinho or Moyes or LVG here is wrong as well. And tbh, aren't all of us armchair fan?
I'm sure you know the term 'armchair fan' applies to people who never attend games.

Also, you can pretend Carrick wasn't slated online at times but that's attempting to re-write history

Mcking

The fact he lasts 90 minutes every game kind of shows he is not in the team just to score goals and make assists. He is a very good player to have. The kind top players love playing next to.

redcafe_reader

I'm sure you know the term 'armchair fan' applies to people who never attend games.
Well, I live in Asia so I haven't attended any of our game yet. Same as a majority of United fan. If you think that made my opinion about Lingard lesser than you then so be it.

For me it's just so simple, most of us here are just normal fan and are there to talk about football, there is no point acting "superior" or "elitist" just because someone goes to games. What does that really achieve for you?

Also, you can pretend Carrick wasn't slated online at times but that's attempting to re-write history
Why do you think I want to pretend Carrick wasn't slated online? "Armchair fan" slate Carrick, "Armchair fan" slate Mourinho, "Armchair fan" slate Moyes, sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has his uses but I think he makes life difficult for Martial. Teams don't bother defending the space on the right cause there's no one there .

Adisa

The fact he lasts 90 minutes every game kind of shows he is not in the team just to score goals and make assists. He is a very good player to have. The kind top players love playing next to.
Yeah, he's a good team player but we need more quality on the ball than he provides. We are good enough that we don't have to be choosing. We need an upgrade on him, I don't see how that's debatable.

SSSSnake

Jesse is great when it comes to build up play. Doesn’t lose the ball often and finds good pockets of space. I think most on here agree he doesn’t score enough but for me he’s still vital to the squad and how we attack.

dogwithabone

There’s better out there and if he’s on the reported £100,000 plus per week then there is definitely better out there.

Somewhere like Everton bound within a year or two.

Adisa

I'd say he actually makes life easier for Martial.
Apart from Young, there's no one on the right to stretch teams. The left side is always crowded. Only when we win the ball back quickly does he have any space to run at a defender.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Same as it's always been for me..we should get someone better but I like him enough in the squad.

Jeffthered

There’s better out there and if he’s on the reported £100,000 plus per week then there is definitely better out there.

Somewhere like Everton bound within a year or two.
Been saying it for years. An over-rated player, who lacks natural football intelligence.

He plays without any authority, does neither lead or inspire. Most worryingly, he doesn't seem to want to improve his game at all.

He will always score the odd goal, but Jesse still plays like a youth team player in my opinion.

He is older and more experienced than both Harry Kane, and Paul Pogba. Consider that.

For a player of v limited ability, he plays the clown too much, and doesn't really represent the focus and determination needed by a United player.

Paul Ince was absolutely correct about Jesse Lindgard.

Mcking

Apart from Young, there's no one on the right to stretch teams. The left side is always crowded. Only when we win the ball back quickly does he have any space to run at a defender.
I think the team just have that tendency to play through the left because our best players are positioned there.

LoveFootball

Often players have quiet days, that was the case for Lingard yesterday but before that he was good since Ole took over. But he shouldn't be a starter for this club, a good option to have on the bench who can do a good job when called up. On his day he's a tricky player to defend against and I think his teammates love his movement, he is a great option to have for Pogba's long range passing.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought he played well. It’s no coincidence that he has usually been involved in all our best attacking performances, under every manager. His work-rate and intelligent movement creates so much space and keeps the opposition defenders guessing.

A local lad who is clearly a valuable (and popular) member of the squad. Pisses me off that he isn’t much more popular on here.

LoveFootball

I thought he played well. It’s no coincidence that he has usually been involved in all our best attacking performances, under every manager. His work-rate and intelligent movement creates so much space and keeps the opposition defenders guessing.

A local lad who is clearly a valuable (and popular) member of the squad. Pisses me off that he isn’t much more popular on here.
He didn't play well yesterday and the reason why he's not so popular on here is because he doesn't deserve the wage and game time he's actually getting. He's a usefull squad player to have but he shouldn't be playing too many games for us, his stats are not good for a forward of such a big club.

Andersons Dietician

intelligent movement creates so much space
Questinable that it’s intelligent movement as he often kills space for others and there are many time he doesn’t see the run he should be making and he doesn’t even time his runs that well or curve a run I think most of it is just his perpetual motion. He is good at finding space between the lines for himself but after that his use of the ball is often way way below par but he’ll always be a useful player to have due to his defensive work rate even if that has dropped off quite a bit but he’ll always press.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He didn't play well yesterday and the reason why he's not so popular on here is because he doesn't deserve the wage and game time he's actually getting. He's a usefull squad player to have but he shouldn't be playing too many games for us, his stats are not good for a forward of such a big club.
I disagree with almost every point made in this post.

haram

Ole is building the team around Lingard, Rashford and Pogba so a lot of their haters will be disappointed. All from the academy, it's great stuff.

steakpie

He doesn't offer enough goals/assists/threat as part of a 3 pronged attack.

I would like to see him in midfield.

ForestRGoinUp

Best I can tell, if all the support around Lingard is not some elaborate ruse to wind up people like me, is that United fans think of him like their own Thomas Müller. Just a really cut rate cheap version of something like that.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think we can do better in his position. He can still stay with us though as squad option.

Foxbatt

he was poor yesterday and he did not do much against Huddersfield either. I think there are many better players than him but Ole will give him all the chances because he coached him earlier on. I wonder if Dalot can play as a right wing?

Well, I live in Asia so I haven't attended any of our game yet. Same as a majority of United fan. If you think that made my opinion about Lingard lesser than you then so be it.

For me it's just so simple, most of us here are just normal fan and are there to talk about football, there is no point acting "superior" or "elitist" just because someone goes to games. What does that really achieve for you?

Why do you think I want to pretend Carrick wasn't slated online? "Armchair fan" slate Carrick, "Armchair fan" slate Mourinho, "Armchair fan" slate Moyes, sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.
Keep your wig on.

Go back and look at the comment I was actually replying to. It is not elitist to say that match going fans view the game differently - they watch the whole pitch and see things not noticable on tv. It's not a criticism of the armchair fan it's simply a fact.

I haven't been to OT since 2008 - i know from experience i don't have as good an understanding of the players overall contribution than the fans in the stadium

Stop acting like I am targeting you personally or non-local fans. I live 2 miles from OT and i'm an armchair fan these days.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
He wasn't great yesterday, but he wasn't bad. I don't recall him doing anything reckless/silly, but I don't really remember him linking up well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He doesn't offer enough goals/assists/threat as part of a 3 pronged attack.

I would like to see him in midfield.
This.

He’s clearly not a forward player. There’s very little basis to play him there.

CM

Every time I come into this thread I'm a bit bemused by how little people seem to think of Lingard. He's been great in the last three games and pretty much sums up Solskjaer's 'work hard play hard' mantra - it isn't a coincidence he's played every minute under him so far.

It's players like Lingard who have allowed us to play with expression and freedom by playing a high intensity game and having the desire to win the ball back when we lose it. It's the same reason why Southgate loves him and I'm pretty sure managers like Pochettino or Klopp would too.

Red Devil's Advocate

It should be noted that he has been playing on the right side which is not best suited for him. He should be the central axis along with Pogba or as a sub for Pogba. #10 is the position best suited for him where he can dictate the play with his pace and those sublime touches.If Pogba can have consistency to press when we are not in possession then maybe Lingard instead of Herrera is a fantastic option in the midfield with Sanchez on the right flank and Lukaku/Rashford upfront.

Mcking

He's being our second most productive player under Ole and has played the most minutes too. I'd say he is doing just fine.

keener

Lingard is a tough one for me, as I love his work ethic, pace and finishing quality. I am never disappointed to see him in the squad but never really see him as or becoming a world class player. I don't consider him a weakness either, and a good compliment to Mata which seems to take his place every other game. I like what both of those players bring.

Greck

Yeah it's a tough one. A lack of quality in certain aspects means he can be upgraded but he ticks many other boxes that makes it hard to replace him in the XI. He messes up key passes in promising attacking moves but he also knows how to make key runs without the ball that are vital to those moves. Lukaku and Mata can't quite emulate his role. Valuable squad player/12th man

Verminator

I look forward to the day when Jesse's performance thread is actually about his performance.
I said yesterday that I didn't think he played well, even though I'm a fan of his, but this thread turns to shit when he doesn't have a MOTM game.
It gets infested with people explaining why he is/was/won't be good enough, yet they mainly go AWOL when he has a belter.

People want to replace him with anyone, even if they aren't as good, just to get him out. Now, Sanchez is going to see him off...

The lack of respect for a player who has scored crucial goals for us, and who makes us tick, who gets plaudits from every direction, including every manager he's had, is astonishing. And yet Sanchez, who has given us nothing, on 4 times the wage, is lauded as our saviour from Lingard.

This is a strange place.

Status
Not open for further replies.