g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaddyP

I don't get the point of Lingard haters who keep on insisting he shouldn't be a starter. Is he bribing the management to unfairly get playing time? Or, maybe the point these "wise men" are trying to make is they understand football much better than the likes of LVG, Mourinho and Solksjair!
So close

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Thought he was ok. He does some good things, but also is often totally ineffectual that he just about averages out. He's never really terrible, he's just sort of... there.

RMD83

I see this thread is again turning into a “Sanchez will be our RW solution” thread. He, as I recall barely played RW for arsenal and I may be wrong but never held down that place at Barca either and lasted less time than Pedro. And seemingly hasn’t been able to give Jose a reason to give him that spot either (not that I had much faith in Jose’s decisions).
I hope Sanchez smashes the next half of the season of course. But let’s not forget that so far he looks more like Torres at Chelsea than the next kanchelskis.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
He's alright most of the times abeit highly inconsistent. While we can be successful with him, is that what we need when we are trying to challenge the likes of Liverpool & City to the title? No we need an on form Sanchez. Sanchez, Rashford, Martial running at you with Pogba behind them is probably one of Europe's most terrifying attacking unit. While Lingard is important role player with potential to be a borderline starter, that's all he is at the moment. Don't overestimate his skills just cause he's from the academy...

el3mel

I see this thread is again turning into a “Sanchez will be our RW solution” thread. He, as I recall barely played RW for arsenal and I may be wrong but never held down that place at Barca either and lasted less time than Pedro. And seemingly hasn’t been able to give Jose a reason to give him that spot either (not that I had much faith in Jose’s decisions).
I hope Sanchez smashes the next half of the season of course. But let’s not forget that so far he looks more like Torres at Chelsea than the next kanchelskis.
We don't necessarily play with consistent positions in attack. They are all interchanging their positions. Sanchez will be pretty good in this, better than Lingard surely.

Sauldogba

I appreciate his energy and the movement he provides for us but against any good teams his lack of quality worries me.
Thought he played decent/good today though

Litch

I appreciate his energy and the movement he provides for us but against any good teams his lack of quality worries me.
Thought he played decent/good today though
This plus he seems to struggle to play well over a number of games. The most vulnerable of all the forward players and I think he's better placed bringing that energy in the last 20 mins of a game....

RMD83

We don't necessarily play with consistent positions in attack. They are all interchanging their positions. Sanchez will be pretty good in this, better than Lingard surely.
I agree with this whole heartedly. Like I said if we can get the Alexis from arsenal then we are in for a treat. But he’s been pants so far. Many players look almost recognisable so far under new leadership
so hopefully he can too. But this thread has people saying Lingard needs to be sold and talking about Sanchez like he hasn’t stunk out old Trafford for 12 months. Let’s see what happens.

el3mel

I agree with this whole heartedly. Like I said if we can get the Alexis from arsenal then we are in for a treat. But he’s been pants so far. Many players look almost recognisable so far under new leadership
so hopefully he can too. But this thread has people saying Lingard needs to be sold and talking about Sanchez like he hasn’t stunk out old Trafford for 12 months. Let’s see what happens.
Sanchez looked terrible because he was still playing as a winger imo. I think he's done for when it comes to dribbling and creating chances from deep. He lost most of his pace and isn't energetic as before, but his finishing is still great. I think we can squeeze 1.5 seasons from him if we played him as near to the goal as possible. This quick passing, interchanging positions and opening spaces to get to the goal will suit and he can use his best trait in finishing to score goals.

He needs to adapt like what Ronaldo did when he grew older and converted himself from a dribbling winger to a goal machine. Sanchez can still do this somewhat if he adapts and we used him correctly.

RMD83

Sanchez looked terrible because he was still playing as a winger imo. I think he's done for when it comes to dribbling and creating chances from deep. He lost most of his pace and isn't energetic as before, but his finishing is still great. I think we can squeeze 1.5 seasons from him if we played him as near to the goal as possible. This quick passing, interchanging positions and opening spaces to get to the goal will suit and he can use his best trait in finishing to score goals.

He needs to adapt like what Ronaldo did when he grew older and converted himself from a dribbling winger to a goal machine. Sanchez can still do this somewhat if he adapts and we used him correctly.
I hope so. I wouldn’t prefer to see him used exclusively as the middle man as we have seen what rashford can offer (today) and hopefully a fitter more confident lukaku but if Sanchez can find the form he’s shown over the last few years and maybe be it from out wide coming in or being more central then great. But this last half season is massive for him and if he can’t show his once formidable class in a united shirt then due to his age and embarrassing wages he needs to go. And I’m not one to obsess over pay but sadly he gets older while his apparent ridiculous wage doesn’t get any less while other better players get paid much less (DDG, martial, pogba etc) it will only cause more problems. He needs to justify his place. Anyway this is the “Lingard” thread and I still maintain that he is worthy of 20 appearances a season.

el3mel

I hope so. I wouldn’t prefer to see him used exclusively as the middle man as we have seen what rashford can offer (today) and hopefully a fitter more confident lukaku but if Sanchez can find the form he’s shown over the last few years and maybe be it from out wide coming in or being more central then great. But this last half season is massive for him and if he can’t show his once formidable class in a united shirt then due to his age and embarrassing wages he needs to go. And I’m not one to obsess over pay but sadly he gets older while his apparent ridiculous wage doesn’t get any less while other better players get paid much less (DDG, martial, pogba etc) it will only cause more problems. He needs to justify his place. Anyway this is the “Lingard” thread and I still maintain that he is worthy of 20 appearances a season.
Can't disagree with any of this.

Devil81

He can't be so respected by so many managers if his tireless running and off the ball work wasn't good enough. Admittedly I find his final ball lacking at times but his work rate and understanding of Rashford and Pogba is integral to our team.

drdoityourself

He's probably running and movementing the sh%t out of the opposition. Because all the managers he's come across seem to rate him.
Pity that his qualities aren't visible on a live broadcast, for a layman like me to enjoy.

Hopefully Sanchez can elevate the position, the front three of Martial, Rashford and an in form Alexis would lift the team to another level. Hopefully Sanchez has some juice left in him.

Last edited:

billybee99

You just pointed out at me, supposedly not rating his performance simply because he didn't score today. Then you go on and use the goals against Arsenal and Liverpool to give him praise, in which he was one of the worst players on the pitch (the worst player against Liverpool). That's laughable.
That's what his fanboys do. When he goes 9 months without a Premier League goal, they point out his movement and work rate. And when he finally scores a few, they rub it in your face and call him messi.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wow I love this forum. Lingard not being as good as martial, rashford, pogba today doesn’t equal he’s shit, sell him. He’s a very worth squad player. This isn’t fifa where you bang fitness cards on them and play the best 11 every game.
Indeed. Typical of posters to create a point and then proceed to argue it, all by themselves. Like, for example, a poster coming into a Lingard thread to argue with an imaginary point that ‘he’s shit and should be sold’.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not good enough to be a starter. Was carried through the game by our other attacking players today.

Red Devil's Advocate

This thread comes alive the moment Jesse fails to score.

Some people try so hard to get a big endorsement for their perspective that it is hilarious. If you don't like Lingard it's your problem. He is a vital piece of this team and brings so much purpose to our attacking game. He will easily get 10 goals and 15 odd assistss this season which is not bad for a bad player ehh?

Red Devil's Advocate

That's what his fanboys do. When he goes 9 months without a Premier League goal, they point out his movement and work rate. And when he finally scores a few, they rub it in your face and call him messi.
Lingard scoring those screamers is a bonus. He is the runner in the team linking midfield with the attack and stretching opposition's defence so that Martial and Pogba can drift in and do their thing. Has an excellent link up play too when playing with Pogba and Martial. So unless you were expecting him to be Messi, I am not sure what he can do to ensure that you pay his wages.

Crashoutcassius

Thought his touch wasn't great today but made some great runs and nearly got in behind a few times. Rw isn't at all his best position and rashford and martial learning how to make good runs will make his main skill less interesting maybe

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He’d already done this at arsenal, but for some reason the club decided he could still work on the wing. that’s shown to be not true.

No surprise though that whenever Sanchez has played upfront for us (pre season and a few games with Lukaku injured) he’s looked much brighter. I actually think he will be used in rotation with Pogba and Lingard the most.

POF

I'm surprised at all of the criticism here. I love Lingard as a character. He might have the maturity of a 10 year old but he seems a great character in the dressing room and epitomises what the club should be about - young players brought through the ranks with a winning mentality engrained in them from a young age.

He might not be good enough to start every game but at the top level it's a squad game. He's no Luke Chadwick. He's a regular England international and an academy player who is good enough to be one of 5 or 6 forwards competing for 3 or 4 positions. He is also a very different type of player than the others. That is a really great asset.

The closeness of that group of young players (Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku) is the recipe for long term success for the club, even more so with the next generation in Gomes, Garner, Greenwood and Chong coming through also. They just need strong leadership and an experienced core of top class players around them to establish that winning culture.

ForestRGoinUp

This thread comes alive the moment Jesse fails to score.

Some people try so hard to get a big endorsement for their perspective that it is hilarious. If you don't like Lingard it's your problem. He is a vital piece of this team and brings so much purpose to our attacking game. He will easily get 10 goals and 15 odd assistss this season which is not bad for a bad player ehh?
Nah it was quite similar when he scored two. Set up by the work of others of course. He is (through objective eyes) a dime a dozen. A player who isn’t good in tight spaces and 9 times out of 10 doesn’t have the composure in the final third. Shoved off the ball easily and can’t turn or dribble past a man. But does the hard work to try and make up for all those deficiencies. The premier league is littered with players of the same caliber.

The ones saying he’s a great squad player to have should revise and say we should have 2 players ahead of him, just as the teams we’re chasing would. Lallana was a key player in Liverpool’s attack, until they got 4 or 5 players better than him and he didn’t see the field anymore (their attack is much better without him). Take the gloves off he’s not a kid anymore.

Red Devil's Advocate

Nah it was quite similar when he scored two. Set up by the work of others of course. He is (through objective eyes) a dime a dozen. A player who isn’t good in tight spaces and 9 times out of 10 doesn’t have the composure in the final third. Shoved off the ball easily and can’t turn or dribble past a man. But does the hard work to try and make up for all those deficiencies. The premier league is littered with players of the same caliber.
Arghhh the toxicity. :) No worries. You continue to enjoy your montage of highlights while we mere mortals will continue to enjoy how this unit and its components collaborate, of which Lingard remains a vital one , and will only improve from here on now that Jose is gone.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He has a vital role in the current team. Not every position needs a pogba.

I dont want to sound like an elitist but how many of you slating him have seen him play live?

I dont want to sound like an elitist but how many of you slating him have seen him play live?
I don't see that as an elitist comment - it's just a fact that you read the game differently when you're there rather than watching on tv.

The match going fan sees the off the ball runs and the wider inpact an individual can have on the overall team's play.

I remember Carrick used to get slated for years by armchair fans when the match going fan could better see his contribution.

Lingard should be an automatic starter for me, love the guy. Seems to have a good attitude and is United through and through, as well as being a dangerous attacker

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is detrimental to our free flowing game he is. Movement is pure peach at times. So hard to actually try to prove that though, it is just a feeling you get:lol:

RobbieBerns

Weird comments around here, I really rate Jesse’s link up play between the midfield and the forwards. I also can’t grasp how others fail to see his constant runs and movement opens up space for others to make plays in.

Would like to mention his tidy build up play around the box as well as tidily keeping things ticking in midfield when we just need to put our foot on the ball.

Reactions: KM

redcafe_reader

But if you look at Manchester City last season or Liverpool this season, all of the starters in their attack is top tier?

I am pretty sure that most of United fan watch football on TV, should we assign a special tag for people like you so we know your opinion is more valued than me?

I don't see that as an elitist comment - it's just a fact that you read the game differently when you're there rather than watching on tv.

The match going fan sees the off the ball runs and the wider inpact an individual can have on the overall team's play.

I remember Carrick used to get slated for years by armchair fans when the match going fan could better see his contribution.

Lingard should be an automatic starter for me, love the guy. Seems to have a good attitude and is United through and through, as well as being a dangerous attacker
Yeah, I am sure all the armchair fan that slate Mourinho or Moyes or LVG here is wrong as well. And tbh, aren't all of us armchair fan?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Replace him with Sanchez for the next game, or Mata. Let him come on the 2nd half in case They turned out to be shite.

hobbers

It's clear that he's the guy to be replacing from our forwards to push us to the next level. In the front four today the difference in his ability from the other three looked absolutely huge. He's decent enough with the ball, it's not like he has the Lukaku touch or anything, but he doesn't have anywhere close to the pace, technical ability, flair or vision of Rashford or Martial.

He's a good squad player though. Finding a suitable Lingard upgrade is a lot less important than rebuilding the defence. Especially since there's the likes of Sanchez and Mata who can compete for that role. Very keen to see Pogba play behind Martial, Rashford and Sanchez in this system.

AgentP

The thing about Lingard is that he can score some absolute stunners but he is not consistent with his output. He has many games where he has very little impact over the 90 minutes. He is similar to Willian in many ways.

ravi2

The people turning their nose up at Douglas Costa are crazy imo.
Douglas Costa would be perfect for our RW and is exactly the type of winger we have needed for years now.

A front 3 of martial rashford and Costa would be terrifying for any opposition. They all are rapid, can beat their man and finish and with the way they will be able to interchange positions - whoever they face will have a tough time knowing who to mark..it will be reminiscent of our 2007 side.

haram

Douglas Costa would be perfect for our RW and is exactly the type of winger we have needed for years now.

A front 3 of martial rashford and Costa would be terrifying for any opposition. They all are rapid, can beat their man and finish and with the way they will be able to interchange positions - whoever they face will have a tough time knowing who to mark..it will be reminiscent of our 2007 side.
Douglas Costa 0 goals this season. 4 goals last season. 7 in both the two years before.

Jesse had 14 goals last season playing in a weaker side. Not sure that Costa is a better finisher. He doesn't have better work rate or movement either. He is of course a winger though. If people turn their noses up at Willian I dont understand why they would want Costa so badly.

ravi2

Douglas Costa 0 goals this season. 4 goals last season. 7 in both the two years before.

Jesse had 14 goals last season playing in a weaker side. Not sure that Costa is a better finisher. He doesn't have better work rate or movement either. He is of course a winger though. If people turn their noses up at Willian I dont understand why they would want Costa so badly.
I'd be happy with willan as well, but I feel that Costa is better at beating his man and creating space. Either of them and would make us a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.