g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He does the lingard role phenomenally well. His sole purpose was to disturb their DM. His interception at the halfway line led us to our goal. Every team needs a Lingard. He is our Park Ji Sung

ForestRGoinUp

He does the lingard role phenomenally well. His sole purpose was to disturb their DM. His interception at the halfway line led us to our goal. Every team needs a Lingard. He is our Park Ji Sung
Not every team needs a Lingard. In fact most world class teams have zero Lingards but rather have footballers who they can trust to do more than run as a front 3 player.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's even more embarrassing when some posters go on and on about his "world class movement" game after game after game in the absence of any goals or assists or key passes.
If I had said assists or goals then you would be right, but I didn’t, I said movement. You’ll have to use your eyes to judge that one. If you had, you’ll have also spotted the terrific little throughball he played in the second half, along with his crucial involvement in our goal. I know you’ll struggle because stat man Dave can’t quantify it for you. Keep rambling on though. :wenger:

Brightonian

He done fine today, can't really criticise him. His running in the first half confused Spurs and was an asset. We all know (well most do) that he is very limited on the ball and shouldn't be starting every game, but games like today he shows his worth.
Speak for yourself. He's not Martial or Rashford but 'very limited' is incredibly harsh. His technical ability is very tight, his passing is clever and his brain is one of the best in our team. A touch more composure on two occasions from Rashford and Martial and he'd got himself in position to score two tap-ins.

ForestRGoinUp

If I had said assists or goals then you would be right, but I didn’t, I said movement. You’ll have to use your eyes to judge that one. If you had, you’ll have also spotted the terrific little throughball he played in the second half. Keep rambling on though. :wenger:
The thing is you think anyone who criticizes Lil JBlingz can’t recognize all this whimsical movement. But it’s been acknowledged by everyone as the only thing he seems capable of. And save us the world class movement stuff. Go find us some other world class movement players hahaha. As if he’s got some special skill. He just runs and hides from the ball in the final third so he’s not tasked with having the ball at his feet in key moments.

I can never recall such a high profile player lauded for decking moving around. It’s absurd and feels like a practical joke at this point.

Brightonian

The thing is you think anyone who criticizes Lil JBlingz can’t recognize all this whimsical movement. But it’s been acknowledged by everyone as the only thing he seems capable of. And save us the world class movement stuff. Go find us some other world class movement players hahaha. As if he’s got some special skill. He just runs and hides from the ball in the final third so he’s not tasked with having the ball at his feet in key moments.

I can never recall such a high profile player lauded for decking moving around. It’s absurd and feels like a practical joke at this point.
I hate it so much when people say 'you don't understand football.' But they will say it to you, and they will be right.

If every player is so brave and talented as to wait for the ball to feet all the time, no-one moves, no gaps form, no-one ever gets the opportunity to beat a man, and nothing happens. Without Lingard, Martial cannot do what he does. Without Lingard, Rashford cannot do what he does. Without Lingard, Pogba cannot do what he does. You could pick the best twenty attacking moves we've produced so far under Solskjaer and Lingard will have a foot on the ball in every single one of them, because he is the moving part that fits these star players together.

I used to find the weird blindness to what he does from half the caf frustrating, but it doesn't bother me as much any more. Three managers in a row have kept him almost ever-present in the team. Any future manager now knows what he brings to the table. You may not see it, but fortunately the professionals obviously do and I have no fear that that's going to change any time soon.

ForestRGoinUp

I hate it so much when people say 'you don't understand football.' But they will say it to you, and they will be right.

If every player is so brave and talented as to wait for the ball to feet all the time, no-one moves, no gaps form, no-one ever gets the opportunity to beat a man, and nothing happens. Without Lingard, Martial cannot do what he does. Without Lingard, Rashford cannot do what he does. Without Lingard, Pogba cannot do what he does. You could pick the best twenty attacking moves we've produced so far under Solskjaer and Lingard will have a foot on the ball in every single one of them, because he is the moving part that fits these star players together.
That, my friend, is silly talk or just subjective at best. Surely not grounded in facts or analytics. All I’ll say is Lingard will be upgraded and we will score more goals. Because as it stands he’s part of the attacking triumvirate and doesn’t want the ball in the final third.

ivaldo

Ffs grow up. :lol:

When people ask the idiotic question of “what does he actually do?” you might find people repeating the same thing. Try and follow context and stop regurgitating the same shit to criticize a player irrespective of what he does and actually use your eyes. It seems like the vast majority of people; fans, oppose and journalists alike, can appreciate what he brings to the side. No one said he’s a world beater, but there’s a broader scale between shit and amazing. No matter how much you try to vilify movement and workrate, it was those strengths that make him integral to the winning goal. His movement created space for others (see the Rashford chance in the first half), and he used the ball well when he had it (see the throughball for Martial in the second). He played well.

Brightonian

That, my friend, is silly talk or just subjective at best. Surely not grounded in facts or analytics. All I’ll say is Lingard will be upgraded and we will score more goals. Because as it stands he’s part of the attacking triumvirate and doesn’t want the ball in the final third.
I don't see it. He asks for the ball as much as anyone on our team, even if it's often just to pop it straight back to them as he runs across the play. That 'movement' (sorry to trigger you with that word) is what pulls defenders out of position so that when his teammate gets the ball back, the pass or the run that wasn't on before now is. It's almost embarrassing to have to explain this.

ForestRGoinUp

Ffs grow up. :lol:

When people ask the idiotic question of “what does he actually do?” you might find people repeating the same thing. Try and follow context and stop regurgitating the same shit to criticize a player irrespective of what he does and actually use your eyes. It seems like the vast majority of people; fans, oppose and journalists alike, can appreciate what he brings to the side. No one said he’s a world beater, but there’s a broader scale between shit and amazing. No matter how much you try to vilify movement and workrate, it was those strengths that make him integral to the winning goal. His movement created space for others (see the Rashford chance in the first half), and he used the ball well when he had it (see the throughball for Martial in the second). He played well.
Rashford made the run Jesse was refusing to make. Had Jesses made that run Marcus would’ve been through at a better angle. To act like Jesse is always making the right runs (and doing it on purpose) is silly.
I don't see it. He asks for the ball as much as anyone on our team, even if it's often just to pop it straight back to them as he runs across the play. That 'movement' (sorry to trigger you with that word) is what pulls defenders out of position so that when his teammate gets the ball back, the pass or the run that wasn't on before now is. It's almost embarrassing to have to explain this.
You didn’t need to explain how our attacking Tom Cleverly plays to me. I watch almost every game.

JoaquinJoaquin

Speak for yourself. He's not Martial or Rashford but 'very limited' is incredibly harsh. His technical ability is very tight, his passing is clever and his brain is one of the best in our team. A touch more composure on two occasions from Rashford and Martial and he'd got himself in position to score two tap-ins.
I'm speaking for most logical United fans I speak to, who all say the same.

You say I'm being very harsh, but your massively overrating Lingard in your description. He is an OK player and has his uses, let's not go over board here.

cyberman

Rashford made the run Jesse was refusing to make. Had Jesses made that run Marcus would’ve been through at a better angle. To act like Jesse is always making the right runs (and doing it on purpose) is silly.

You didn’t need to explain how our attacking Tom Cleverly plays to me. I watch almost every game.
Jesse wasn't on to make thise runs. He was there to drag the centre backs apart to isolate Martial and Rashford out wide and killing Spurs diamond by pressing Spurs deepest midfielder.
Ole said this himself ffs. He was never selected to run in behind.

ivaldo

My God are you delusional. Lingard is occupying the defender, pulls wide and leaves a gaping hole for Rashford to exploit. If Lingard makes that run he has a player tracking him all the way. Had Rashford then squared the ball it would've been a tap in

Feel free to quote me where I said or implied he always makes the right run. Good to see you flatly refused to address his integral involvement in the goal too. Always makes for a strong case, that...

I'm afaid it looks as though he did have to explain it to you. Keep the childish nicknames coming too, you're coming off great!

Aloysius's Back 3

Apart from his intelligent movement - he also has a great short first time pass.

Cardiff goal & the interception & first time pass for Pogba today to assist Rashford.

He is a player who interlinks the attack.

The Real Treble 99

He’s been shite so far. Today he was invisible & didn’t do anything & for me has been quite poor. Martial RashFord & Pogba have all up their game but I feel like Jesse is just strolling about in casual mode. He needs to step up otherwise like today he’ll be getting substituted more often in matches. But I still think he should be in the starting lineup.

beycont

Yup, agree with this. If i am not mistaken Cantona once said that even simple movements like passing the ball between 2 teammates where there is seemingly no attacking intent changes the opposition team's shape and creates spaces.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He’s been shite so far. Today he was invisible & didn’t do anything & for me has been quite poor. Martial RashFord & Pogba have all up their game but I feel like Jesse is just strolling about in casual mode. He needs to step up otherwise like today he’ll be getting substituted more often in matches. But I still think he should be in the starting lineup.
Except for that whole ... Intelligently anticipate, intercept and lay off for Pogba which lead to the goal ?

People on here say some strange shit.

Fridge chutney

Lingard apparently offers nothing :lol:

What absolute nonsense.

The first goal was down to his interception & his first time pass back to Pogba which allowed him to play the first time ball in to Rashford.

If Lingard had spent any more time on the ball - that attack would be off because it would have allowed their defenders to track back.

Great player.

His appreciation will continue with managers here at United whilst the fans continue pretending to know everything about football.
Great post. Thought he faded in the second half but most of the team were visibly tired. Glad there's someone who can sensibly assess Lingard without calling him a 'nothing player'.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Having followed your series of posts in a short space of time, it’s easy to come to the conclusion you are a terrible poster. You’ve said some really half witted things in this thread.

ForestRGoinUp

Having followed your series of posts in a short space of time, it’s easy to come to the conclusion you are a terrible poster. You’ve said some really half witted things in this thread.
Thank you. Jesse will be nowhere near the next title winning side. I’ve got just the right mix of patience and shithousery to remind you all when that is the reality.

Fridge chutney

You didn’t need to explain how our attacking Tom Cleverly plays to me. I watch almost every game
Your petty and childish insults towards Lingard are not only tiresome, but remove any credibility in your ability to objectively assess said player.

ForestRGoinUp

Your petty and childish insults towards Lingard are not only tiresome, but remove any credibility in your ability to objectively assess said player.
I realize I have to gush about movement to be accepted here. I’m okay hanging out on the fringes in this case.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a good squad player that is technically good and does contribute to our attack with his movement. But I do feel we will bring someone in before long who will contribute more as far as goals/assists on the RW. But he's a good player to have in the squad..

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I realize I have to gush about movement to be accepted here. I’m okay hanging out on the fringes in this case.
Why? So next time he has a bad game you can prove everyone else wrong? Let me save you some time. You are right.
Now you can relax and enjoy the game like everyone else and you might even notice something Lingard does well without this hanging over you.

Jeffthered

A better, more effective performance after been given some clear instructions.

What pleased me was him winning the ball back more often than I have seen lately. This is important because his other attributes are too inconsistent, week in, week out. This would improve his game, and our possesion figures and tactical strategy. He needs to add that to his game, bring a little 'Kante' into his game. He lacks a game awareness.. yesterday he could have dropped deeper in the second half aned assisted the midfield three... I just feel he became a little lost, and less effective.

He has more ability than he shows, and needs to add that responsibility and maturity to his game. He has more experience than Alli, Kane, Pogba to name a few.. yet plays like someone still trying to work his game out.

Much better today, and he carries a popularity which is important and infectious. But...he could and should be doing far better. He doesn't help with so much off-field, high profile activities.

It's B Rubble

“HeS a ChAmPiOnShIp PlAyEr At BeSt”
-majority of caf 2 months ago

Ole has done wonders to our squad.

meamth

This thread is hilarious to be honest.

(Insert commentary on the last game) ends up with (we should replace this averageness with top quality player).

I'm not even lying, it's the same shit with Lingard! Whatever he does, good or bad, he will always be told to feck off.

Mcking

He was apparently benefitting from Mourinho's favouritism according to some bloke. Mourinho is gone, Ole is the manager and six games later, he is still one of the first names on the fecking teamsheet. He must be some sort of magician.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People can criticise him all they want, but it's clear from Ole's post match interview that he's an essential part of his plans and he is right now first choice for Ole.

Kostov

@ForestRGoinUp Pal, give it a rest. The Lingard movement brigade is out in force today, and frankly he was better than his usual useless self you should agree I think. He won the ball back couple of times and had 1-2 good moments, but he gets praised for less on here. Overall it's a good day for United fans, so why bother?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
@ForestRGoinUp Pal, give it a rest. The Lingard movement brigade is out in force today, and frankly he was better than his usual useless self you should agree I think. He won the ball back couple of times and had 1-2 good moments, but he gets praised for less on here. Overall it's a good day for United fans, so why bother?
Tough luck pal, but it seems Ole is also in "Lingard movement brigade", unfortunately for you.

Ekeke

I think he played an important role but without being great himself. Having him in his advanced midfield position and coming back to play triangle passes helped us keep the ball giving our players fairly safe options to find him.

Obviously a top class player in the same position would have done the same thing but offered more quality on the ball as well. So he performed an important task for the team on the day but still lots of room for improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.