4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

I like Lingard and he obviously offers something. I just think he needs to add goals to his game or he’ll be replaced with someone who will. No excuses for him to not get at least 10-15 goals this season alone.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Watched second half again and he was absolutely terrible the last 20 mins. Probably tired from playing a lot lately.

JeffBoomTetris

I never understood the whole “He wouldn’t get on for Barca/Real...” thing

Let’s look at their fringe players.

Barca: Denis Suarez, Vermaelen, Rafinha, Munir

Real: Vazquez, Mariano, Llorente, Vallejo, Ceballos

If you’re trying to tell me all of those guys are “world class”, you’re having a laugh.

You need players who can do a job. Lingard does his. But I agree we do need a RW and my choice would be someone like Zaha or Lozano. Someone tricky and pacey.
That's the thing though. Lingard in an ideal situation is a fringe player who'll do a job coming on from the bench. He's a good player. But, in order to compete for titles, we need an upgrade in his position(s) namely, right winger or right attacking midfielder.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Stating it as it is, it's not blindness, he is a midtable level player. But that's not his fault he does his best, not having a RW for years now, is the problem, and it lies with the ones who were building the team/squad.

United fans go and watch Salah rip defenders apart, then they go and watch Lingard. Then come on here and some of you are telling them how he is good enough to be a starter, his movement and what not. United fans want better, or at least that's my view. Personal insults though on our own players are unnecessary.
Imagine having Ronaldo instead of Rashford. Is he not good enough either because he doesn't stack up against one of the best in the world?

Kostov

Imagine having Ronaldo instead of Rashford. Is he not good enough either because he doesn't stack up against one of the best in the world?
Rashford just scored a great goal against one of the best CB duos in the game and he's 21. Never liked Ronaldo either, I'm more of the Rooney fan boy type to be honest.

We need better than Lingard, if anyone has a problem with that maybe they should try and watch the top sides and their attacking players for a change.

Kostov

I seriously wonder if commenters like @Kostov and @The Real Treble 99 have ever actually played football, or if they are simply consumers of football "entertainment product" and Football Manager.

I think that if you play regularly, then you have an instant regard for someone like Lingard, who has the movement and stamina of two players, moves opponents around constantly, shows for a pass and makes runs all the time and in general just makes everyone else play better. He's a team-player to the nth degree and the idea that he is no better than "mid-table" is particularly idiotic (weirdly enough I don't recall many players from West Ham, Bournemouth or Wolves in the World Cup semi-finals).

I have no idea why his assets aren't obvious, even to people who have only ever played FM19. Jesse is great.
Thank God @chromepaxos from redcafe is here to educate all of us about football. In the meantime, he's a seasoned pro in his free time, and understands football much better than all of you mere mortals.

I think if you get your head out of your ass, maybe you would stop spouting shit.

In the meantime you can post the distance covered stats and try to back what you are saying about him having the movement and stamina of two players.

Danny Welbeck was in the England squad as well, meaning feck all about said players quality. And I also have no idea how some of you can't realize how poor of a footballer Lingard actually is, but here we are, you are trying to educate us how to understand football.

Kostov

If you’re trying to tell me all of those guys are “world class”, you’re having a laugh.

You need players who can do a job. Lingard does his. But I agree we do need a RW and my choice would be someone like Zaha or Lozano. Someone tricky and pacey.
Barca had Dembele on the bench on Sunday, while we have Lingard starting every week. That's the point.

We need a better player starting week in week out. Lingard is fine as a squad player, but if we are to compete with the best in the future we need better.

yfoFC

I don't think it's any coincidence that our least convincing games under Ole have been the one's which Lingard didn't start.

He was good against Spurs as well - to my mind our best outfield player on the day. Ole seems to have decided on his first XI, and it includes Lingard. If there is a place up for grabs based on performances so far, I'd say it was Martial's (I don't want him to be left out, but I think he needs to do more to nail down his place).
I agree. Martial is class and obviously has his fans (me included) but lingard has been far more productive than him since Ole arrived.

This is the line of reasoning I don't understand at all, how one can watch the both of them the last few games and come to this conclusion is beyond me

On Sunday alone, martial came within a leg of lloris and a poor attempt by Pogba in having a goal and an assist but somehow Lingard played better because of his link play only?

I know it's stupid to play hypotheticals but if one of those two worked out then that's the only time we can consider martial having a better game than Lingard?

I appreciate he's playing his part to the best of his ability and see how he's earned his place in the starting lineup for now but I fail to see how martial has more to prove to nail down a spot than Lingard

Kostov

This is the line of reasoning I don't understand at all, how one can watch the both of them the last few games and come to this conclusion is beyond me

On Sunday alone, martial came within a leg of lloris and a poor attempt by Pogba in having a goal and an assist but somehow Lingard played better because of his link play only?

I know it's stupid to play hypotheticals but if one of those two worked out then that's the only time we can consider martial having a better game than Lingard?

I appreciate he's playing his part to the best of his ability and see how he's earned his place in the starting lineup for now but I fail to see how martial has more to prove to nail down a spot than Lingard
That my friend is peak delusion, and it's not even funny.

Rashford just scored a great goal against one of the best CB duos in the game and he's 21. Never liked Ronaldo either, I'm more of the Rooney fan boy type to be honest.

We need better than Lingard, if anyone has a problem with that maybe they should try and watch the top sides and their attacking players for a change.
Do we need better than him to start every week? Sure, but he's plenty good enough to be a rotation player. He hasn't got the passing execution to be a top player but he has all the technical ability, movement and workrate to be a real handful in the right game.

If he was in a mid table team he'd be their best player.

Kostov

Do we need better than him to start every week? Sure, but he's plenty good enough to be a rotation player. He hasn't got the passing execution to be a top player but he has all the technical ability, movement and workrate to be a real handful in the right game.

If he was in a mid table team he'd be their best player.
Define the technical ability? He has a good first touch but I feel he is uncomfortable with the ball, whether that is while running or when he is put under pressure. His workrate is unquestionable, and I felt he was better in winning the ball back against Spurs then he was in the previous couple of games.

And yes probably he would be the best player at a mid table club, while he should be a squad player at a club like Manchester United.

Define the technical ability? He has a good first touch but I feel he is uncomfortable with the ball, whether that is while running or when he is put under pressure. His workrate is unquestionable, and I felt he was better in winning the ball back against Spurs then he was in the previous couple of games.

And yes probably he would be the best player at a mid table club, while he should be a squad player at a club like Manchester United.
He is capable of intricate one two passing, he has good control and weight on his short passes and good movement to get into positions to receive the ball. He is able to join in plays with Pogba, Rashford & Co whilst players like Lukaku struggle to match that tempo. What lets him down is when he has to pass the ball out of the tight circles. He doesn't have the vision or accuracy to spread the ball about.

KingOfJing88

i have plenty of biased Liverpool fan mates and everyone of them rave over Martial to a point where many would choose him over Mane, some more than others rave over Rashford which is understandable as he has only recently started to be consistent but there isn’t one who rate Lingard, nor does my Everton season ticket holder friend who wouldn’t even have him in their 11.

I would love to know another player in the world who has this ‘world class’ movement he has ? And as for this amazing intricate passing, mata is on a different level to lingard, the ONLY reason lingard Plays ahead of him is because mata has no legs what so ever! There will quickly come a time where Sanchez replaces lingard or we eventually buy a new RW in the summer and I for one can not wait. I genuinely don’t remember a player who played in the attacking role be less of a threat in the final third than lingard, and furthermore he’s 4/5 years older than Rashford an Martial yet not in the same level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kostov

He is capable of intricate one two passing, he has good control and weight on his short passes and good movement to get into positions to receive the ball. He is able to join in plays with Pogba, Rashford & Co whilst players like Lukaku struggle to match that tempo. What lets him down is when he has to pass the ball out of the tight circles. He doesn't have the vision or accuracy to spread the ball about.
That he is, his one two passing is maybe his best skill, but when he is running with the ball and a final pass is needed, he falters under the slightest bit of pressure. Lukaku struggled with everything at the minute, which is a shame, since i like the guy and I feel he was better last season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Lingard is a good player and certainly gets alot of unfair stick at times on here. Having said that, he does frustrate the hell out of me, because if he could just add that bit more end product and quality then I don't believe anyone would criticise him. Prime example for me in that spurs game in the first half when he takes a cracking touch to get the ball into his stride, Martial is wide open in acres of space in the middle and somehow he messes up the pass taking the chance away. At this level, that quality simply has to be better because a good pass there and Martial is scoring a simple goal. I think ultimately, Lingard will have to improve or we will find another player that can provide all the same movement and energy whilst having greater quality.

As a side note it seems unfair to me that Martial receives so much stick when very often his team mates (excluding Pogba) are just not finding him with the same quality of passes that he is providing for them. What I mean by that is that using the same example as above, there is no chance that Martial doesn't put that ball on a plate for Lingard or Rashford if they were open in the middle.

yfoFC

Lingard is a good player and certainly gets alot of unfair stick at times on here. Having said that, he does frustrate the hell out of me, because if he could just add that bit more end product and quality then I don't believe anyone would criticise him. Prime example for me in that spurs game in the first half when he takes a cracking touch to get the ball into his stride, Martial is wide open in acres of space in the middle and somehow he messes up the pass taking the chance away. At this level, that quality simply has to be better because a good pass there and Martial is scoring a simple goal. I think ultimately, Lingard will have to improve or we will find another player that can provide all the same movement and energy whilst having greater quality.

As a side note it seems unfair to me that Martial receives so much stick when very often his team mates (excluding Pogba) are just not finding him with the same quality of passes that he is providing for them. What I mean by that is that using the same example as above, there is no chance that Martial doesn't put that ball on a plate for Lingard or Rashford if they were open in the middle.
I'm glad someone is taking note of this as well, his passes to find his teammates in and around the box has been criminally underrated

That said, I'd like him to be more selfish as he seems to favour passing these days to going for goal (frustratingly enough, they often miss it leading to his low assist output)

Regarding Lingard, I'd like to see what he will bring to the table against Brighton when we are looking to unlock a stubborn defence as that's what a club like ours will face 80-90℅ of the time and I'll be keeping an eye out to see how his movement aids us

L1nk

Has his own YouTube channel now.

Some people won't be so happy about it and see it as a distraction, personally not bothered, although I can't stand his childish attitude in general

haram

Would rather he be happy than depressed. Do people think Evra would have done the same if social media was as prevalent during his career?

Kostov

Would rather he be happy than depressed. Do people think Evra would have done the same if social media was as prevalent during his career?
Nobody would give a feck probably, since Evra was an absolute beast and a world class player, part of a winning team and a winner himself. The general atmosphere was very different I think, opposite to the current situation of us fighting for top 4 while our bitter rivals fighting for the title.

haram

Nobody would give a feck probably, since Evra was an absolute beast and a world class player, part of a winning team and a winner himself. The general atmosphere was very different I think, opposite to the current situation of us fighting for top 4 while our bitter rivals fighting for the title.
Lingard is who he is. I do not agree that he should force himself to change because of what old people think. When he is on the pitch he gives 100% and is committed. That's what matters most.

Kostov

Lingard is who he is. I do not agree that he should force himself to change because of what old people think. When he is on the pitch he gives 100% and is committed. That's what matters most.
Neither do I, he is who he is. His commitment should not be doubted either. And I should be out before that guy Mcking sees me... :lol:

Posh Red

Lingard would not be a starter for the majority of title winning sides over the years. He’s the perfect squad player because he’s from the academy and has a good work ethic, but he just doesn’t have the quality. I love his attitude on the pitch but he just lacks that touch of class that the likes of Martial, Rashford and Pogba possess. Not sure how anyone can truly disagree with that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some poster posted big analysis of Spurs game, made some very good points on how Lingard was important in the system. It was very good one, something I missed when watching the game.

Lingard, Martial and Rashford played good role in blocking passing lanes in first half with Lingard dropping deep to disrupt the flow. He even dropped deep when in possession. It was good analysis and it's easy to see why Solskjaer plays him a lot.

King.of.Red

Has his own YouTube channel now.

Some people won't be so happy about it and see it as a distraction, personally not bothered, although I can't stand his childish attitude in general
well, I dont really care and at least his contribution for the team is very good, even Ole chooses him as our starter and also with all his social media activities, I think he's been good influence for young United fans around the world. so, it's good for the club.

Andersons Dietician

Does anyone remember Rio’s tour diaries that were on MUTV. This should be Jessie’s new role, reckon it would be right up his street that and probably pretty funny. The performance of his chin fluff in the pre game interviews needs serious addressing. That was just awful worst performance of the year from him.

Wonder if he’ll be rested this weekend as he looked shattered around 60 last game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Jesse and Marcus are the heart of Man Utd IMO. Love the two of them. Two local lads doing it in red shirts on the biggest stage. How can you love Man Utd and not love that? So they like to have fun? So what? No matter what both of them always leave 100% on the pitch.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Some poster posted big analysis of Spurs game, made some very good points on how Lingard was important in the system. It was very good one, something I missed when watching the game.

Lingard, Martial and Rashford played good role in blocking passing lanes in first half with Lingard dropping deep to disrupt the flow. He even dropped deep when in possession. It was good analysis and it's easy to see why Solskjaer plays him a lot.
I said in another thread that if he learns how to consistently deliver the killer pass he'll be a nailed on starter.

Aloysius's Back 3

Lingard is like the string theory of quantum physics.

The thing with Lingard is that playing Rashford & Martial in their current position needs Lingard to maintain being fluid. Martial & Rashford are attacking in this plain of the universe in a front three.

What Lingard allows Martial and Rashford to do is to attack in a front 3 in multiple possible angles.

Without Lingard - Martial is stuck at LW, Rashford is stuck at ST and Malcolm or Lozano (whoever the new RW is) is stuck at RW.

For Example lets start with
Martial - Rashford- Lingard

Lingard however is a player that makes runs to the LW when the space is free - allowing martial to take the best possible space.

This might look like this-

Lingard- Martial - Rashford = One angle that allows Martial to be the main attacking threat in the move.

Likewise - Lingard can take Rashford space

allowing Rashford to move in to the best possible space

Martial - Lingard - Rashford

or

Martial - Rashford - Lingard

or

Rashford - Martial - Lingard

Lingard is a filler in the attack & thats why some people rate him and some people dont - Lingard fills the gap so there is always a fluid front 3 attacking the defence. This makes defending against it - especially when the defence is outnumbered extremely hard.

Whilst I have no problem on improving on Lingard - I dont think its neccesarily easy thing to find a player who does exactly what he does either.

The one player that I want to see take Lingard's spot is either Greenwood or Martial.

Martial may not run in behind the defence - however he is someone who usually starts our attacks by dribbling at the defence more often than not. Play him centrally - allow him the freedom to dribble the ball to the best possible spot; leaving either Rashford or Greenwood the best possible space and position to finish the attack off.

Rashford - Greenwood
Martial

likewise Greenwood could take that spot because he is ambidextrous.

Martial Rashford
Greenwood

Let Greenwood cover the free space; allowing Rashford and martial to take the best possible spot.

Last edited:

meamth

It's the wages....people can't live with his wage..

Personally I think he deserved it.

lex talionis

Lingard would not be a starter for the majority of title winning sides over the years. He’s the perfect squad player because he’s from the academy and has a good work ethic, but he just doesn’t have the quality. I love his attitude on the pitch but he just lacks that touch of class that the likes of Martial, Rashford and Pogba possess. Not sure how anyone can truly disagree with that.
We're not going to win the title this season but Lingard can play an important role in helping us claw back into fourth place at the end of the season. And I think everyone here agrees that Lingard is a solid squad man.

Going into next season, we'll presumably address RW and if the England international can fill in where and when he's needed.

Posh Red

We're not going to win the title this season but Lingard can play an important role in helping us claw back into fourth place at the end of the season. And I think everyone here agrees that Lingard is a solid squad man.

Going into next season, we'll presumably address RW and if the England international can fill in where and when he's needed.
Yeah he is the perfect squad man for the reasons I mentioned. Right wing has been an issue for us for some time and I think the right signing in that position can elevate the team.

el3mel

Forgot he actually existed on the pitch several times in the game. Invisible player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
My comments are as usual. And if somebody will now mention his running and movement that will be amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.