Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Poor Mata, will most likely face being sold by same same manager at 2 different clubs.

sugar_kane

Apparently he played in every single Premier League game this season, surely the only player of ours to do so?

I remember a few months ago he was being framed as one of the 'victims' of LVG - surely this is a myth which needs to be dispelled. LVG seemed to have a lot of faith in him, even if he played him out of position or in a system which wasn't quite suited to his talents.

clarkydaz

Apparently he played in every single Premier League game this season, surely the only player of ours to do so?

I remember a few months ago he was being framed as one of the 'victims' of LVG - surely this is a myth which needs to be dispelled. LVG seemed to have a lot of faith in him, even if he played him out of position or in a system which wasn't quite suited to his talents.
so isnt this the reason people say he is compromised?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Mourinho won't sell him.

People to need to get away from this idea that Mata was sold because he didn't work hard defensively (Which wasn't even true iirc). This is the same guy who had no issues in playing Ozil at Madrid. His attacking play was something Jose had a bigger issue with and he seemed to prefer quicker, more athletic players for that role.

I don't see him being a regular starting XI player though. LVG found a way to fit him in the team by playing him out wide (Albeit he almost almost always ended up in central positions anyway). Mourinho won't play him there so he's in for tougher competition. Wouldn't surprise me if he tried playing Herrera instead in a Lampard sort of role.

wiz4231

If I was watching this as an outsider I'd think mata had a great season playing as a #10.

Shark

@NotShark
I wouldn't be too fussed if he's sold, personally. Great little player but I never thought he was a good fit for United.

ti vu

If I was watching this as an outsider I'd think mata had a great season playing as a #10.
Not surprise. Always a player who is good at picking his moment, but doesn't really influent the whole game too often. Very similar to the Rooney in SAF last year, Moyes season.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
If we were to sell him today we would get embarrassing money like 18m euro, perhaps 25m euro for a package of him and Fellaini. I rather let him go on a free than have that humiliation.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If we were to sell him today we would get embarrassing money like 18m euro, perhaps 25m euro for a package of him and Fellaini. I rather let him go on a free than have that humiliation.
:houllier:

Litch

I think the problem as been we've had soooo many players who arguably their best position is 10 when we don't really play with one....

ti vu

I think the problem as been we've had soooo many players who arguably their best position is 10 when we don't really play with one....
More like many incompatible players being put together and a (former) manager who played a style that suits very few players!

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Saw a surprising stat that Mata has many goals for us as he had for Chelsea in a pretty identical number of games... Dispels the myth I've always had that he was more effective for them than he has been for us

Bugshot

I thought we've moved away from this buzzword.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There has been no link with any club. There was an article by Steve Bates last week saying Mou will give him a chance. At least, he will not get rid immediately.

The United

Saw a surprising stat that Mata has many goals for us as he had for Chelsea in a pretty identical number of games... Dispels the myth I've always had that he was more effective for them than he has been for us
He is as good as anyone in our team for the last 3 years in term of goal/assist output.

But something about him does not make people like him here. I myself think he is a bit too weak for no 10 in EPL. That and new toys being outshining him in transfer market etc.

That's not to say we couldn't create a system around him to bypass his weakness but is he that good? Not sure. I would still like Jose giving him a chance this season and see. We really don't need to get rid of decent players of the squad in a hurry atm.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He played a slightly different role for us most of the time, further forward with the accent on his goalscoring (especially at the beginning). I'm pretty sure that his assists numbers aren't close to his Chelsea times.

The United

He played a slightly different role for us most of the time, further forward with the accent on his goalscoring (especially at the beginning). I'm pretty sure that his assists numbers aren't close to his Chelsea times.
I think it is pretty much opposite with his playing positions. He plays deeper/wider for us than he did with Chelsea.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His goals and assists tend to mask mediocre performances whilst his general play was a lot better at Chelsea, with slightly less clinical ability in front of goal.

The United

His goals and assists tend to mask mediocre performances whilst his general play was a lot better at Chelsea, with slightly less clinical ability in front of goal.
If you are contributing for goals and assists like that, you are good. He has been decent for us. There is no doubt about it. You would wish the likes of Ander would put numbers like he does.

The reason his general play looked shit is that well our overall general play was shit for the last 3 years. It is not like other players were outperfoming him in the midfield or wings bar Martial.

He looked a safe player to me which frustrated me a bit but then again it could well be down to the system we have been playing. His passing and thru balls were generally good when we had spaces up front. I would wait one more season and see how he plays in a bit different system.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think it is pretty much opposite with his playing positions. He plays deeper/wider for us than he did with Chelsea.
I'm not talking about position but about the role. In Chelsea, Mata was their main playmaker, with us (especially under Moyes) he is much more focused at the goalscoring. That's my take on it at least, maybe I'm just wrong though.

ti vu

If you are contributing for goals and assists, you are good. He has been good for us. There is no two way about it. You would wish the likes of Ander would put numbers like he does.

The reason his general play looked shit is that well our overall general play was shit for the last 3 years. It is not like someone was outplaying him in the midfield or wings bar Martial.

He looked a safe player to me which frustrated me a bit but then again it could well be down to the system we have been playing. His passings and thru balls are generally good but if we can't open up spaces fast and often enough, even zidane would suffer at 'playmaking'. I would wait one more season and see how he plays in a bit different system.
This is very wrong. It's not all down to the system in Mata case. Play making requires touch/control, dribbling skill, quick feet, agility ,... Mata for most part is final ball, shoot only. He is slow, weak, slow turn. His control in tight angle is not top class. He's not true play maker for us. We have seen enough.

The way you describe Mata's goodness is also fit the Rooney in SAF later years. Who brought great goals and stats playing second forward. You can tell Rooney role apart from true #10 play in Sneijder, Ozil easily.

The United

This is very wrong. It's not all down to the system in Mata case. Play making requires touch/control, dribbling skill, quick feet, agility ,... Mata for most part is final ball, shoot only. He is slow, weak, slow turn. His control in tight angle is not top class. He's not true play maker for us. We have seen enough
Have you seen Mata's touch and control? He can't dribble for sure. Lack of agility, strength, sure.

You should watch our games a bit more careful and closer if you think Mata's close control, touch are shit. He is the best we have in our squad.

ti vu

Have you seen Mata's touch and control? He can't dribble for sure.

You should watch our games a bit more careful and closer if you think Mata's close control, touch are shit. He is the best we have in our squad.
Touch of play maker. Compare Mata to David Silva. Learn to distinguish play maker touch vs just touch. Why if someone disagree then you associate the opinion with the term can't?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is very wrong. It's not all down to the system in Mata case. Play making requires touch/control, dribbling skill, quick feet, agility ,... Mata for most part is final ball, shoot only. He is slow, weak, slow turn. His control in tight angle is not top class. He's not true play maker for us. We have seen enough.

Mata's close control and technique in tight spaces is excellent... it's one of the strongest bit of his game. His weakness comes when he's faced up with a player, as he can't really dribble past them, but when defenders get tight to him is excellent touch, quick feet and close control generally allow him to turn away from them.

Compare David Silva's one of the shitiest season with the Mata's. You're welcomed
Silva was much worse then Mata this season, not even close. It seems like you're criticising him for not being the same player as Silva.

dichinero

Compare David Silva's one of the shitiest season with the Mata's. You're welcomed
Gonna have to disagree here. Mata may not be much in your book but to criticise his first touch is just ridiculous!

The United

So basically you are saying it is first touch, close control? Silva has been better overall in EPL no doubt. But to say that Mata close control and first touch are shit is a bit ridiculous. He has them as good as anyone in EPL. Also mata is all about final ball which is eh play making? And shoot only? hello? football is all about scoring. Not to make hollywood passes around all day. no?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyway, he's been tweeting United stuff lately. If he was surplus, surely he would have been told by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.