Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mata was not the right player for this game. He loses the ball just as often as Mkhitaryan in the no.10 role and doesnt offer a threat from wide. Mata's most useful quality is to break down compact defenses through his inter-play and runs into the box.

Moreno is a weak point of the Liverpool team, I can see why we went with Young who got into some good positions behind Moreno. He had a very good oppurtunity to score from a rebound, but decided to take 10 extra touches and the opportunity was gone.

Benfica 0:1 Man Utd

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hope he has a big game. Mourinho doesn't even touch him for big games but I feel like that's very harsh. He's always key for us when he plays and before Mourinho came in, had plenty of big performances in the big games. Away to Benfica is tough so a good performance and Mourinho might start putting some faith in him come the big games and not only vs smaller teams.

The White Pele

Could it be time to give him a run at 10? Feel like he could score a lot of goals if played there regularly.

saivet

Personally, thought he was our best attacking player, mature performance so far.
I like Mata, maybe he's been less sloppy than Miki or Rashford, but not done anything for me.

GrandJury

Should be starting more instead of Mkhitaryan given the latter has been shocking.

lsd

The Oracle
82 mins tonight for Juan all time high for him at united ?

Bwuk

He's our best 10. Drop Mkhi and get Mata in the middle.

Ashley R1+O

Love him to bits but I genuinely don't know what he can bring to the table now that it is obvious his legs are completely gone. Maybe backup to the attacking midfield role but that is about it.

PepsiCola

Love him to bits but I genuinely don't know what he can bring to the table now that it is obvious his legs are completely gone. Maybe backup to the attacking midfield role but that is about it.
If you can't tell what impact he has centrally, after he was moved there yesterday, maybe find another sport.

Robertd0803

Not his best game, very surprising that he messed up the through ball to Lukaku in the first half.

Jeffthered

Come on guys. Do we want Man Utd to really compete for the CL and Premiership? This 'I Love Mata' stuff really annoys me... I don't care whether he is a nice guy.

He lacks influence. He doesn't score, a fact that seems to go amiss for many... he never breaks beyond the front two... he isn't really positive in his play, in terms of seeing that pass that other's do not.. compare him to Silva, Pogba, De Bruyne current form, Couthino... doesn't commit and go past players (Rashford, Hazard...). The guy just plays the safest option, running around as if he is putting in a shift. Matic was WAY, WAY more effective and influential in an attacking sense last night, from a deep midfield position. Matic is a far better player anyway, but Mata to me, was never a Man Utd player. Fellani has less technical ability, but is far more effective.

Mata, Miki... sorry, need to do a whole lot more. We NEED them to do a whole lot more

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Christ, the irony is lost on you isn't it?

Kostov

I'd like to see Mata play as number 10 and Mkhitaryan on the wing, it suits their qualities better and it's strange it didn't happen till now.

MiceOnMeth

I'd like to see Mata play as number 10 and Mkhitaryan on the wing, it suits their qualities better and it's strange it didn't happen till now.
Didn't mhki play predominantly on the right last season and was equally as inconsistent?

Bwuk

Has to happen, surely? The Rashford injury is a kick in the bollox though. One less option for the wide areas, up front.
Still got Lingard. Not his biggest fan but can't be any worse than Mkhi at the moment.

Varun

Staff
Think Jose wants someone with pace there who can drive with the ball. Lingard might get a run there.

Varun

Staff
On a serious note, I'd really be tempted to start both Rashford and Martial but I'm not sure if it would work.
I don't see why it can't. Martial on the left and rashford on the right playing narrow in attack. In any case, Mata playing there operates through the middle anyways so Valencia is used to providing the width on his own.

Kostov

I don't see why it can't. Martial on the left and rashford on the right playing narrow in attack. In any case, Mata playing there operates through the middle anyways so Valencia is used to providing the width on his own.
That's my thinking also, but both of them are used to playing from the left. They are talented enough and it's not like we have a lot of options anyway. But for that to happen we need a three man midfield behind, ideally Matic, Pogba and Herrera.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The problem is that neither Martial or Rashford have shown the level of Di Maria, Robben, Hazard etc to be able to go from their own half to the opponents goal.

Martial and Rashford are great when teams park the bus and they dont have other responsibilities but when they must maintain a good shape, track runners, cover space they struggle to do those things and be effective in attack.

This is the reason why we wanted Perisic; because he is a player that will defend in one instance and be at the other end of the pitch 10 seconds later.

izec

Both him and Mkhi not good enough and we need an upgrade badly, both wing and behind the striker

Varun

Staff
That's my thinking also, but both of them are used to playing from the left. They are talented enough and it's not like we have a lot of options anyway. But for that to happen we need a three man midfield behind, ideally Matic, Pogba and Herrera.
We'll go with 3 in the middle for most tough games anyways I think. For the other matches, Mata in front of pogba and Matic with that front 3 is fine imo. Both Rashford and Martial put in a good shift anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.