5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelinho87

We haven't seen Mkhi at his peak yet in the PL, I feel that he has a higher ceiling compared to Mata.
I just don't think Mkhi has what it takes to compete here phyically whereas Mata has adapted and found a way to deal with it more often than not.

Time will tell and I hope Mkhi does reach them heights.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I seem to notice that for a #10, Mata's majority of play involves spreading play wide rather than through the middle. I get that Newcastle were compact in the middle, but as soon as Zlatan came on, we basically had more passes going through the middle in the attacking areas.
I agree and i find this incredibly frustrating. He always plays it safe and just recycles possession. I can see why Jose sold him first time around with Chelsea and hopefully he will again as we need a greater contribution from someone playing that role.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
I just don't think Mkhi has what it takes to compete here phyically whereas Mata has adapted and found a way to deal with it more often than not.

Time will tell and I hope Mkhi does reach them heights.
Mkhi hasn't adapted to the PL completely, hope he adapts sooner rather than later because Mourinho isn't going to give him more chances. Maybe getting benched for one or two games might be good for him. I apologize for discussing about Mkhi so much in Mata's thread.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No one was in form before the Newcastle game, so I don't understand why people are blaming only Mkhi here. Mata and Mkhi are different players, Mkhi wants to be involved in the attack more than to sit back and defend and Mata doesn't mind even if he has to defend. I never told Mata doesn't defend. No one was saying anything when he was getting assists at the start of the season, when the whole team started playing badly everyone started bashing Mkhi. Freedom? Really? He hasn't been allowed to use his pace, by the time he gets the ball the other team players get back in position to defend.
The bolded part is exactly the reason why Mata has been getting this much of game time. He does what is asked of him and does it to the best of his ability.
And most people here did say that Mkhi was poor in the initial 5 games, despite the assists. And apart from the game against Liverpool, he was given a decent amount of freedom. Ok sure, he was asked to track back and help the team out vs Chelsea and Spurs, but we hadn't 'parked the bus' in the 2 games. It was up to him to take the game in the direction he wanted, and all he did was lose the ball when he should have passed

The players who played yesterday excluding Mata.
He has played with 2/3 players consistently and had Lingard instead as the 3rd. If he needs that exact particular set of players to succeed, then there is no point keeping him as he can't adapt his game as per the players. Every player needs a certain condition around him to succeed- say for Mata it is pace, Lukaku it is decent service, but for none it is a particular player. And before you point towards our performances with and without Pogba, it is because he brings to the table none of our midfielders can- a good passing range along with a threat going forward.

el3mel

We haven't seen Mkhi at his peak yet in the PL, I feel that he has a higher ceiling compared to Mata.
Mikhi will be 29 by next Jan. I don't think he has enough time to reach any peak at all, it's now or never.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
The bolded part is exactly the reason why Mata has been getting this much of game time. He does what is asked of him and does it to the best of his ability.
And most people here did say that Mkhi was poor in the initial 5 games, despite the assists. And apart from the game against Liverpool, he was given a decent amount of freedom. Ok sure, he was asked to track back and help the team out vs Chelsea and Spurs, but we hadn't 'parked the bus' in the 2 games. It was up to him to take the game in the direction he wanted, and all he did was lose the ball when he should have passed
Before yesterday's match most of our players were losing possession and passing poorly, not just Mkhi. The team playing slow football doesn't help either, he would thrive in a team like City or Barcelona. We don't know how much freedom he was given and we also don't know what happens between Jose and Mkhi outside of the pitch, maybe Jose has been too hard on him. There are many things which could affect the psychology of a player not just the manager.

He has played with 2/3 players consistently and had Lingard instead as the 3rd. If he needs that exact particular set of players to succeed, then there is no point keeping him as he can't adapt his game as per the players. Every player needs a certain condition around him to succeed- say for Mata it is pace, Lukaku it is decent service, but for none it is a particular player. And before you point towards our performances with and without Pogba, it is because he brings to the table none of our midfielders can- a good passing range along with a threat going forward.
What I meant was the players around him, how those players play and the form of those players. I think Mkhi would play better in yesterday's team and the way the team played was better than the previous matches. Many players lose the ball, no player is perfect. I agree that Mkhi was poor but I think he can do better given the right circumstances. If he doesn't improve in the coming matches then I will accept that he is a shit player and that he isn't good enough for the PL.

Roboc7

Poor in the first half but better in the second, he is actually better out wide as a number ten he is nowhere near good enough and can see why he rarely plays there.

I still think he is a midtable player, he is one of those players who isn't good enough but isn't terrible either. He works hard and does just about enough to stay in around the first eleven because other players aren't quite good enough either. He should be moved on at end of the season as don't see the point in persisting with him unless his playing time is reduced a lot.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
And all his other seasons ?
You didn't understand what my point was. IMO Mkhi is better than Mata because he has more pace, in terms of creativity both are equal but pace gives Mkhi the edge. If you think Mata is better then I respect your opinion, what else can I do. :)

Hellboy

Mata's off the ball movement is far better, and he uses his body a lot better than Mshitaryan. Not even a contest.

Andy_Cole

United’s most under rated player. He makes us tick. Ridiculously under rated with some of our fans.

Rajma

You didn't understand what my point was. IMO Mkhi is better than Mata because he has more pace, in terms of creativity both are equal but pace gives Mkhi the edge. If you think Mata is better then I respect your opinion, what else can I do. :)
Mata also been Chelsea's and league best player too, also won the CL and shown on multiple occasions that he can perform under pressure when it counts, and what Micky have shown apart from bottling when chips are down? Even at his worst he doesn't give away possession half as many times as Micky does.

Tempo.

Just so I haven’t misunderstood you, are you saying Mkhi is better purely on the basis of pace and creativity? Have you not factored in anything else?

caid

Hasn't been a vintage season for him but hes been quite good all the same, hes maintained a respectable level most matches, even one minute to the next in matches.
His performance isn't as variable as Martial and Rashford (who you forgive because they're young and trying different things)
or Mikhitariyan (who does something brilliant sandwiched in between lots of hopeless shit)

A good run of scoring form wouldn't hurt. His numbers are lacking a bit

Listar

I actually thought (partially deceived by the commentator) that Lukaku's goal was because Lukaku physically ram through walls of defenders with the ball. On closer inspection it was actually a one two with Mata, and Mata did well to return it to the path of Lukaku causing confusion amongst the ranks leading to a lucky airshot from the last defender. Great job Juan.

YzWayne

I was actually delighted to see Mata taking over the role from Mhki. How many matches have we seen Mhki played and not performing. It is not about the peak of a player but more of consistency.

If we do compare the amount of ball retention and passing accuracy, Mata has done much better than Mhki. We can't wait for Mhki to start performing consistently while watching City runs away with the title.

However, I am not saying Mata is our KDB , Eriksen and Hazard but he is our best option in that position right now. I really can't understand where all the negativity comes from.

caid

I was actually delighted to see Mata taking over the role from Mhki. How many matches have we seen Mhki played and not performing. It is not about the peak of a player but more of consistency.

If we do compare the amount of ball retention and passing accuracy, Mata has done much better than Mhki. We can't wait for Mhki to start performing consistently while watching City runs away with the title.

However, I am not saying Mata is our KDB , Eriksen and Hazard but he is our best option in that position right now. I really can't understand where all the negativity comes from.
He's not but by and large I'd say he compares well against the likes of Son, Pedro or Sterling.
They're all very different obviously and all could be improved on but not without a fair degree of difficulty imo

Idxomer

I actually thought (partially deceived by the commentator) that Lukaku's goal was because Lukaku physically ram through walls of defenders with the ball. On closer inspection it was actually a one two with Mata, and Mata did well to return it to the path of Lukaku causing confusion amongst the ranks leading to a lucky airshot from the last defender. Great job Juan.
He also started this move from the left by dribbling past Shelvey and then taking position around the box near the right wing. He's easily our most intelligent player, shame he has no pace.

Antonedwin

it seems some people here watched a different games , i thought he was very good yesterday

YzWayne

He's not but by and large I'd say he compares well against the likes of Son, Pedro or Sterling.
They're all very different obviously and all could be improved on but not without a fair degree of difficulty imo
Yea, i do agree with you. But I still feel we are short of a creative number 10 for us to break down smaller teams at ease whereby they pack 11 man in their own half.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Mata also been Chelsea's and league best player too, also won the CL and shown on multiple occasions that he can perform under pressure when it counts, and what Micky have shown apart from bottling when chips are down? Even at his worst he doesn't give away possession half as many times as Micky does.
He was Chelsea's best player for 2 seasons not the best player in the league. He didn't win the CL alone, he had a good team. Mkhi isn't suited for the way we play and he needs a different type of manager. you think Mata is better and I think Mkhi is better, let's just leave it at that.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Just so I haven’t misunderstood you, are you saying Mkhi is better purely on the basis of pace and creativity?
Yes and when Mkhi is in top form he is better that Mata. Being in top form is another issue. I don't want to argue about Mata and Mkhi in Mata's thread.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Form schmorm. We can't wait 3 seasons for someone that age to hit any form while they're breaking apart our own attacks in the meantime.

Long live King Jaun (til we buy someone, then back to the bench).

Meh. Just another body on the field these last few games. Get Miki on, at least he runs forward.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Ineffective is the best way to sum him up today, really.

RonW

Does Mata ever take any responsibility? Too many times he's playing the 2 yard pass to Pogba

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's not been amazing, but he's also trying. Has the ball a lot and looking for options - there generally aren't any ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.