5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley R1+O

I don't think he's going to get a new deal, that is okay I think his time is up.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Having a very poor season so far. Starting to think it's not just form, he's on a downwards spiral.

Robertd0803

Love Mata but it really hasnt been a good season for him. A few months ago everyone was appalled at the idea of Ozil, now there seems to be a definite thawing of the idea and while there are question marks over Ozil it's a sign of how woeful Mini and Mata have been that people would be happy to see us sign Ozil.

izec

The bad games overshadow the good by far, plus this season he has no output to save him. Seems like there are a lot of players who will move on in the next 1 or 2 years, Mata will be hopefully part of it. Nice guy, but he isnt good enough on the pitch most of the time

Eddy_JukeZ

He just doesn't really do anything on the field except sideways passes and he doesn't contribute with goals anymore either.

Get rid. We need far better.

buckooo1978

he's just not been productive this season has he....

he looks like he has declined quite a bit

quite funny today the way he went apeshit when Pogba got fouled a couple of times

smallred

He offers pretty much nothing at the moment. He just circulates the ball over and over and he's too slow to go round a player so every time he's on the ball he stops, turns back and looks for a back/side pass allowing 5 opponents to track back and line up. I'd be very surprised if he was still here next year.
its been like that for a long long time unfortunately, he has been a 1 in 5 merchant for about 18 months now. its slipped to 1 in 10 this season.

i see he is getting alot of criticism (finally) for today, however some people seem to suggest this a once off or something when its normal for him now.

Zoo

He has always been slow but this season it seems he really has lost a step. Great ambassador for the club but probably time to move on in the summer.

hova

Movement alone does not work against a well drilled team! You need to put fear into the other team with your ability to create space.

Players are scared of Zlatan and Pogba because they can beat a man and deliver the final ball. When Mata gets the ball they know he will pass backwards or sideways and they can track his run and itlle be ok.

Silva, KdB, Hazard, Coutinho, Ozil do not need good movement because they can dribble past players and pass into the space. They force the attackers to move with their passes.
That is partly true what you say . But players have to make the runs into the space . There is no point in passing the ball into space if the attack is static . Mata is not suited to united he riles on movement in front of him . We have no Fluidity or movement up front !
Movement alone does not work against a well drilled team! You need to put fear into the other team with your ability to create space.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Think we will trigger the extension but will sell him if a good offer comes in. I think jose knows he is not the player in what are typical jose tactics, Mata knows this as well, Mata i think might work very well in a rafa or pep team, but here i do not think it is going to work for him. I think he has lost or maybe not doing what he did over the years(beating a man with skill, some great through balls, Good strikes at goal). His best season came under Rafa (12 goals+ 12 assists), i think we all expected him to hit that mark consistently and improve upon it, but he hasnt. I think he will be sold in the summer if a good team comes in for him. Can see Valencia try for him as they will lose many on loan players after this year. Maybe even the Milan clubs/juve/napoli.

haram

At least he brings balance or something.
Shitty snide remark with no accountability to the arguement you made. Rashford on the right then, yeah?

There was no need in trying to drag me into this again. I don't sit here and make snide remarks when Rashford fails on the right, do I?

finneh

Ozil has more athleticism than a 12 year old girl, Mata doesn't. At this point in his career Mata is essentially Rooney 2.0. No ability to run in behind or beat players so stuck in an endless cycle of passing backwards/sideways and slowing down every counter. Just last week Ozil was MOTM vs Spurs and put in a performance better than anything Mata has produced in a United shirt.
Firstly Ozil has almost no athleticism whatsoever. Praising this quality in Ozil over Mata would be akin to pointing out the qualities in a chocolate kettle because it's more resilient than one made of ice.

Secondly Mata against Liverpool March 2015 is probably the best individual performances in a United shirt in the last 3 years, and certainly better than Ozil's performance last week.

Mata was very poor yesterday and hasn't got into his groove at all this season. Lets not be hysterically disingenuous though.

AngliaRed

Not the best season for Juan unfortunately. Great Guy and i think i speak for many on here in saying that i would love to see him playing well week in, week out as he such a nice guy.

But he's just been all over the place really. Not even in the squad for some of our games this season and when he does start a game it just passes him by. I can really see him leaving in the summer. It looks like things have gone a bit stale for him here at the moment. Would love to see him turn things around though.
This. Best summary by far.

Antonedwin

The reason why we put him wide is because he can't do it from middle
He is too weak & too easy to dispossessed if he start attacking from mid.
Zlatan did better job as 10

yo@Kirk

I think Mata will have a great career in the broadcast booth. United don't have a #10 worthy of even a place on the bench. Mourinho should stick to a 4-3-3 for the rest of the season. Maybe if the players practice and play one scheme long enough they'll develop some team chemistry, coordination and consistency. At least enough to look like they've received professional coaching which doesn't appear to be the case now.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
its been like that for a long long time unfortunately, he has been a 1 in 5 merchant for about 18 months now. its slipped to 1 in 10 this season.

i see he is getting alot of criticism (finally) for today, however some people seem to suggest this a once off or something when its normal for him now.
I apologize for talking about another player here but when the same thing happens to Mkhi, he doesn't get let off easily. Mata is let off easily just because he is a nice guy. To be fair to both Mata and Mkhi, anyone who has played in the RW and No 10 positions have failed to be consistent with their performances. Both these players aren't perfect for the way United are playing, if you see other teams like City, Chelsea and Liverpool, etc there is so much movement in the final third. Our team is just too static, when there is movement the pass is not precise and when a good pass comes our players fail to control the ball or only one player is moving.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
The reason why we put him wide is because he can't do it from middle
He is too weak & too easy to dispossessed if he start attacking from mid.
Zlatan did better job as 10
He doesn't have the pace to play on the wings.

Djemba-Djemba

Since he got injured in March he's contributed almost nothing.

Been almost invisible this season, such a let down. Can't see him getting a new contract.

When does his current contract end? This Summer?

Foxbatt

Mata's problem in my opinion that he has an inflated opinion on his dribbling abilities and his ability to keep possession. He always wants to carry the ball but he is so slow it is absolutely useless. He has great vision and technical ability and his movement is good too but the opposition can give him a head start of 70% and still cover his movements because he is so slow. He should be sold.

IrishRedDevil

I love the guy but he hasn't been contributing much this season. Dare I say it, but I'm starting I warm to the idea of someone like Ozil in his position. Sorry Juan :(

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Something is just not quite right with Mata. There's just no creativity left these days in his play. This for a player who's picked on the basis of creating assists.

Lentwood

Very poor again, offers absolutely nothing. I've never seen such a cowardly footballer in all my life, let alone one who is supposed to be an AM! Everything he does is too measured, too safe and too slow. Also, the amount of times he passes the buck is unforgivable, Mata is supposed to be a senior player in this side and in games like yesterday where we are struggling to create anything he should be trying to get hold of the ball and make something happen!

SATA

He was rather angry at things than playing football. Dunno what most of his outbursts were for, perhaps at himself or the referee

ManuMou

I am pretty sure Jose will let one of Mkhi/Mata go next summer, unless they step up.

Right now Pogba is the only one who provides the creativity and link to our attack. Most of them time Mkhi/Mata have been bad/average. In a game like yesterday when pogba put in a okay performance, our creation was almost non-existant. It’s just so frustrating.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I'm someone who watched Mata each week when he was 19 and playing off the left side for Valencia. I thought he was one of the best options available out there when Giggs was winding down and so I suggested him. He stayed 1 extra season at Valencia and took over David Silva's role in the hole behind the striker David Villa and then Chelsea signed him. He had some good output in terms of assists and goals but I wasnt convinced by him in this new role as overall he seemed like less of a threat and less involved and now playing centrally off the striker, 8 goals isnt as impressive.

So he went to Chelsea and he did well. He improved in the role behind the striker and that became his main role for sure. But some of the things that used to stand out to me about him were less in evidence. Playing from the left he used to make great runs in behind the defence and was a good finisher most of the time. Now playing centrally I didnt see him make those runs, he was more concerned with trying to play in other people make those kinds of runs. So he changed his game a decent amount and was a success at Chelsea behind the striker. Then he fell out of favour and we signed him at United.
He came in and his first half a season at United he had good productivity. He made a difference to the scoreline with a good amount of goals and assists although his overall play perhaps still left something to be desired.

And as far as I'm concerned, since that point he's fallen off. He was once a player that stood out for certain things, his great runs and output from wide at Valencia, productivity behind the striker at Chelsea. But in his time at United post that first half a season? He hasnt stood out. He's been a cog in the machine. Occasionally he had a good run or two where he got a couple of goals over the course of a month, but over the course of each season he's just been okay if not someone we could greatly improve on by looking elsewhere.

He's a nice guy and I've been able to follow a huge amount of games in his career. But for me he's fallen some way short of what he could have been. For me he's a 6.5/10 player and hasnt been someone I expect a good performance from each week for a few years.

Silas

Shitty snide remark with no accountability to the arguement you made. Rashford on the right then, yeah?

There was no need in trying to drag me into this again. I don't sit here and make snide remarks when Rashford fails on the right, do I?
I'm not dragging you into anything. Just reiterating my point that playing Mata over one of Martial and Rashford won't provide us with anything extra. I'm also referring to those that told everyone that he 'kept things ticking' or allowed us to control games and so was an essential player.

Bestietom

Mata not the player he was, has gone backwards and needs to be sold now to get half the money we paid for him back.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Depends where you think my minds at, innit. He’s definitely dropped a level this season, and given his age, is unlikely to recover form suitably to warrant a staring place. If we can get a Greizmann, or a non union Mexican equivalent, I think we should trade up... Fo Sho.

None of which would alter my largely favourable opinion of his time here, of course. And if he’s happy to stay here as a squad player, I’m all for it.

Hugs x

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Mata is such a huge disappointment for me. It has always bugged me because he's an incredibly talented player with flawless technique. Yet he's never made the most of the ability he has been given. If he has the mindset of a more adventurous player he could have been amazing. Yet all he wants to do is keep it safe and play sideways. You look at the likes of Ozil, De Bruyne, Silva and they're no more technically gifted than Mata, but they have supreme belief in their ability and they try things all the time.

This is what sets them apart from Mata.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He wasn't good yesterday, but all our attacking players were crap- including Pogba... So really, it's all a bit OTT.

redsquad

United shouldn't offer a new contract to players like Mata,he seems more interested and involved in his blog and social media activities and his football has taken a massive nosedive.
I cant imagine another top team having a key no.10 being so average and weak,its almost like we are playing with one player less.Fekir is realistic and will make a massive difference to our team.

goin4glory

Firstly Ozil has almost no athleticism whatsoever. Praising this quality in Ozil over Mata would be akin to pointing out the qualities in a chocolate kettle because it's more resilient than one made of ice.

Secondly Mata against Liverpool March 2015 is probably the best individual performances in a United shirt in the last 3 years, and certainly better than Ozil's performance last week.

Mata was very poor yesterday and hasn't got into his groove at all this season. Lets not be hysterically disingenuous though.
Ozil is far more athletic than Mata. Go and look at how he played in Madrid's counter attacking team to see 20+ goals Mata could never be part of.

Liverpool played with 10 men for 45mins and that Liverpool side would get crushed by the current spurs team.

Mata has been very poor all season but doesn't get the criticism a genuine star like Ozil get's because he's being held to a lower standard. You only need to look at the numbers of goals/assists/key passes/dribbles/whatever statistical metic you want to see Ozil out perform Mata.

Status
Not open for further replies.