5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Mata is normally able to get a decent goals/assist ratio but his is really poor this season.

It hasn't been his year at all.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You watch Silva play, he will have plenty of options to pass the ball even when he is crowded in the middle, other players make lot of movement and are available for pass. At ManUtd players stand in their position and wait for the ball to come to them. It's amazing how our players don't move and help the player in possession at all.

Not really. Fabregas plays for Chelsea, he is hardly the quickest. Likewise Lallana, Countino are not rapid. They move the ball quicker and very quick in transition using their other pacey players. They move the ball very quick that's the difference.
Exactly.

Playing for City and Liverpool requires a lot of pace and stamina, Mata would bomb even harder there imo.The one team he could work at is Arsenal if Ozil goes.
Mata doesn't have problem with stamina. On pace, those teams mostly play short passes; thus only a good acceleration is needed. Mata has little pace, but good acceleration.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His sudden total loss of form puzzles me a bit.

I get that his general play could deteriorate as he gets older and his already iffy physical attributes suffer even more with age but I'm not sure I've actually seen that much difference in terms of the work he puts in or the ground he covers? Physically he seems to be holding up relatively well.

It's the rest of his game that seems to be off, which is odd as that's the part of his skillset you'd think would be least likely to suddenly dissapear. I mean the vast majority of what Mata does well is down to technique and intelligence. I don't think his technique has deteriorated and he hasn't suddenly become a brainless footballer. So what's happened?

Charlie Foley

His sudden total loss of form puzzles me a bit.

I get that his general play could deteriorate as he gets older and his already iffy physical attributes suffer even more with age but I'm not sure I've actually seen that much difference in terms of the work he puts in or the ground he covers? Physically he seems to be holding up relatively well.

It's the rest of his game that seems to be off, which is odd as that's the part of his skillset you'd think would be least likely to suddenly dissapear. I mean the vast majority of what Mata does well is down to technique and intelligence. I don't think his technique has deteriorated and he hasn't suddenly become a brainless footballer. So what's happened?
He has on occasion covered the most ground in our team this season (at least by the point he's substituted). Maybe he's trying to hard to focus on the physical side of things and he's not quite as sharp on the ball? Would need to see previous distance stats. Maybe he's just in a bad run of form? Maybe his mojo is off, his uncle died earlier this year and who knows he could be struggling with that.

I actually think he's had good moments this year, his assist to Lukaku against Newcastle was a lovely moment I thought.

Roboc7

Some nice touches but he offers very little as a number ten, easy to understand why mourinho wants ozil.

Andersons Dietician

Did Mata Just burn someone for pace or are my eyes deceiving me? Heck this CSKA Moscow backline must be hella slow

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mata is playing the full 90 minutes!

Jev

Been absolutely brilliant today. His best performance of the season as I recall.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Honestly I thought he was a bit of a passenger at the start, but grew into the game as it went on and was playing with CSKA by the end.

el3mel

The first half was very poor but he turned on the gear in second half and provided his best game this season.

Georgan

If only he played like this on each game he had... That's what we expected from him when we got him, a player that keeps us on the edge of our seats each time he gets the ball. More of the same please, Juan.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Anyone thinks he needs to start every game that Pogba doesn’t? Granted, he was wank in his last PL start but he adds a slickness and imagination to our passing and movement that nobody else can provide when big Paul isn’t involved.
No i don't think so, Mata would only start at home against the small teams IMO. A very important part of a Mourinho team is winning physical battles and Mata loses almost all of his physical battles.

Most teams away from home will try to get physical with you, and the top teams will also get physical when they come to OT.

Mata would also get into the team regularly in Europe where the game is less physical.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Anyone thinks he needs to start every game that Pogba doesn’t? Granted, he was wank in his last PL start but he adds a slickness and imagination to our passing and movement that nobody else can provide when big Paul isn’t involved.
Without Pogba the lack of technique in our play is evident, I can see the logic in filling that void but he doesn't really compare in other areas to Pogba. Mata offers pretty much nothing when not in possession but when he has it he's one of the most elegant players in the game. We need someone who can offer more than just creativity against Man City.

Abhinav

I think this clip summarizes what he is really good at and also why we may need to upgrade in the number 10 position with a more explosive player. He showed great touch, passing, movement to wriggle out of a congested place and make room for himself and the attack.

However, when he first received the ball, if he could have beat the on-coming player that was closing him down, there would be a 3 on 2 situation on the offering. Unfortunately his lack of athleticism really hinders our play in that position, which is why he is played out right where he can find more space and time.

Oakie

That is a lovely bit of skill so smooth and silky but what makes it good is it actually beat his man, so many do skill but dont get any advantage from it makes them look silly!

Maroo

I was thinking the same. He has to start in the City game, as we have little creativity without Pogba. Lukaku and Martial (or Lingard replacing one of them) would enjoy playing ahead of him.

In my humble opinion, Mata in a counterattacking system has not been great for United thus far, but should do well with two fast & strong strikers ahead of him. He himself seems to have put in some work into his running.

Sadly, Jose won't start him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was thinking the same. He has to start in the City game, as we have little creativity without Pogba. Lukaku and Martial (or Lingard replacing one of them) would enjoy playing ahead of him.

In my humble opinion, Mata in a counterattacking system has not been great for United thus far, but should do well with two fast & strong strikers ahead of him. He himself seems to have put in some work into his running.

Sadly, Jose won't start him.
Yup. Absolutely no chance of him starting as he played 90 mins yesterday. I'd actually be shocked if he even comes on as a substitute later in the game

Ashley R1+O

Thought he was superb, still has a bit of a problem when people come near him in transition and wants to dribble backwards away from everything, but all in all a nice little outing!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thought he was superb last night. He is actually a joy to watch when he plays like that. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often enough. Can still see him laving in the summer, but i hope i'm wrong. I do love the guy!

And here's a close up of those silky skills:

MadMike

He looked very good yesterday. I think he's one of the few players we have that is quite calm in possession. He doesn't possess the dribbling & pace of some of the other forwards, but he'll also reliably execute pass and move without surrendering possession. Good controls and first touches all day long, accurate passing, playing with his head up. At his worst, he'll be anonymous and fail to influence that game. But that's still a damn sight better than being catastrophic to our attacking play. He's quite reliable in that sense.

If we're bolstering our attack with a new #10 and/or a new RW in the summer and we can only keep one of Mata / Mkhi for back up as a result, I'm very heavily leaning towards Mata at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.