Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Coxy

Very good offensively, but still suspect in defence, and defence wins you leagues. If they can sort that out, then who knows. But that year they imploded they were excellent in attack and terrible in defence. It's a problem if you have to score three goals every game to win, because it won't always happen. Same can be said of City.

Hard to judge this early, but I think they'll be up there (I do think they'll fall short, though).
Yep, their defence is nowhere near as good as the other top clubs.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Very good offensively, but still suspect in defence, and defence wins you leagues. If they can sort that out, then who knows. But that year they imploded they were excellent in attack and terrible in defence. It's a problem if you have to score three goals every game to win, because it won't always happen. Same can be said of City.

Hard to judge this early, but I think they'll be up there (I do think they'll fall short, though).
Barring the West Brom goal, our defence didn't put a foot wrong today. Dealt with all other set pieces pretty well.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Barring the West Brom goal, our defence didn't put a foot wrong today. Dealt with all other set pieces pretty well.
Not bad today, but it was West Brom (and they did score). I'm really talking about going forward, though. The table doesn't really begin to take definitive shape until the Christmas period, and I guess we'll find out then.

Clean sheets have been a problem for you, though.

Dante

Average bang
I don't think he's cut out to win the PL. His style of football is great when it works, but things won't always click. His record in Germany hasn't been as consistent as title winners generally need to be in England (apart from 2012 when Dortmund earned the equivalent of 90 points).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a terrible manager. But he's not one I'd trust to grind out wins when things aren't going his way. That's a hugely important quality to win the league over here. Liverpool can be as good as anyone on their day, though. Klopp's 'day' just isn't often enough for a proper tilt at the title.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Not bad today, but it was West Brom (and they did score). I'm really talking about going forward, though. The table doesn't really begin to take definitive shape until the Christmas period, and I guess we'll find out then.

Didn't they play all the top dogs bar City already? They should have a relatively easy schedule till Christmas.

Handré1990

True, but you will face better attacking players from most teams imo. Not taking anything away from the victory mind, this is why you're ahead now. We just seem to struggle too much against these type of teams.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

Definitely been a problem keeping clean sheets, but the amount of defensive errors we've made since we've sorted a settled back four (Milner, Matip, Lovren, Clyne) has decreased massively. We haven't actually lost a game that Matip's played in.

Didn't they play all the top dogs bar City already? They should have a relatively easy schedule till Christmas.
Toughest game in the next 7 is Southampton away. I think after this run of games we'll truly know where we stand with regards to being title contenders. Played very well against the better sides - need to take points from the smaller teams now.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
True, although they play Everton and City within two days of each other over Christmas.

Spurs up next for them. That will be a good test for both of those sides, similar sort of styles. (league cup, not PL).

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Played against 4 good teams
Arsenal -W(away)
Chelsea-W(Away)
Totenham -D(Home)
United- D(Home)

Relegation fodder
Hull- W home
West brom-W (Home)
Burnley- L (away)

Midtable
Swansea -W (Away)
Leicestor - W (Home)

Good record as of now, lost only once. Will be interesting where they are On 1 january as before that considering anyone as Title contenders is generally stupid. 15-18 games in and everyone will know where their team stands in the league.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
The only other thing is that they have covered more distance than any other team. I think we've covered relatively little ground overall. That's a key issue in terms of fitness and avoiding injuries. When the fixtures start to pile up, I still think they'll have trouble keeping everyone fit because Klopp's gegenpressing is very demanding in a physical sense.

cyberman

That defence though..
They cant slack at all going forward or they simply will not pick up many points. It's not as if a defence can be in good form when defending crosses and set pieces.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
True, although they play Everton and City within two days of each other over Christmas.

Spurs up next for them. That will be a good test for both of those sides, similar sort of styles. (league cup, not PL).
Not so much, since Spurs will field lots of their younger players.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think he's cut out to win the PL. His style of football is great when it works, but things won't always click. His record in Germany hasn't been as consistent as title winners generally need to be in England (apart from 2012 when Dortmund earned the equivalent of 90 points).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a terrible manager. But he's not one I'd trust to grind out wins when things aren't going his way. That's a hugely important quality to win the league over here. Liverpool can be as good as anyone on their day, though. Klopp's 'day' just isn't often enough for a proper tilt at the title.
Arsenal and Spurs had lovely clean sheets today. Just saying. :)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Anyway, before its lost, The Klopp/Flopp thread reaches its first 100 pages landmark.

#notomegathreads ;)

Raw

They've scored 75 goals under Klopp since he came in, more than any other team in that period. Really impressive, the cnuts.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
That defence though..
They cant slack at all going forward or they simply will not pick up many points. It's not as if a defence can be in good form when defending crosses and set pieces.
Just checked the table. 11 in 9 isn't superb, but not terrible either. If their offense doesn't lose steam, it's not an issue at all.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Played against 4 good teams
Arsenal -W(away)
Chelsea-W(Away)
Totenham -D(Home)
United- D(Home)

Relegation fodder
Hull- W home
West brom-W (Home)
Burnley- L (away)

Midtable
Swansea -W (Away)
Leicestor - W (Home)

Good record as of now, lost only once. Will be interesting where they are On 1 january as before that considering anyone as Title contenders is generally stupid. 15-18 games in and everyone will know where their team stands in the league.
They were away for the spurs draw i think

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Still not that impressed with Klopp and Liverpool. Sure, they play good and exciting attacking football but defensively they are shocking. Can't defend set pieces for shit.

Rafateria

The only other thing is that they have covered more distance than any other team. I think we've covered relatively little ground overall. That's a key issue in terms of fitness and avoiding injuries. When the fixtures start to pile up, I still think they'll have trouble keeping everyone fit because Klopp's gegenpressing is very demanding in a physical sense.
People keep on saying this and they keep missing the fact that without any Euro football Liverpool's players will actually play less minutes than those at United, City, Spurs etc. So who is now more liable to suffer injuries if based on distance covered ? We played I think it was 60 matches last season, even with good runs in both domestic cups (say an average of the semis) then that is still only 48 games this season, or a maximum of 50 games if we were to somehow make both finals.

cyberman

Just checked the table. 11 in 9 isn't superb, but not terrible either. If their offense doesn't lose steam, it's not an issue at all.
Last Monday was their only clean sheet.
They have to score two goals per game to win a game. It's nowhere near good enough imo

Rafateria

It should be noted that today was the first day we were able to play the same back five as in the previous match. With Matip and Milner now in the back 4 it is a lot more stable. And that 5 of those 11 goals conceded came in the first 2 matches, (just two more than Arsenal and Chelsea and three more than City and United, all except Arsenal of whom have played a game less than we have so the difference will likely be less) so even with an 'inconsistent defence' it's still only 6 in 7 games (and never more than 1 per game).

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Last Monday was their only clean sheet.
They have to score two goals per game to win a game. It's nowhere near good enough imo
Yet somehow the top 3 teams in the table have scored the most goals by far, while the two best defensive teams are ranked 4th and 8th. ;)

I guess we are back to "they are really average" after last week´s "we had to defend ourselves agianst this offensive juggernaut, 0-0 is a win"... :p

Rafateria

Still not that impressed with Klopp and Liverpool. Sure, they play good and exciting attacking football but defensively they are shocking. Can't defend set pieces for shit.
The usual hyperbole that's to be expected from you. Here's a stat for you, in the last 5 PL games Liverpool have conceded 4 goals, in their last 5 PL games United have conceded 7 goals. Would you describe United's defence as almost twice as bad as Liverpool's ?

Classical Mechanic

The usual hyperbole that's to be expected from you. Here's a stat for you, in the last 5 PL games Liverpool have conceded 4 goals, in their last 5 PL games United have conceded 7 goals. Would you describe United's defence as almost twice as bad as Liverpool's ?
Here is a stat for you, over the course of the season Liverpool have conceded three more than United and have the worst record in the top 8.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I didnt think they were a full belt today, but still got the win. But i have seen them play better.

Rafateria

Here is a stat for you, over the course of the season Liverpool have conceded three more than United and have the worst record in the top 8.
That's pretty irrelevant when considering the current situation (as you can see from post #3987 and that our defence is being given by United fans as the reason we can't stay in the title race/top 4 perhaps. Look again at the stats above and then see if it's fair to use the defence as an excuse (or maybe it's just wishful/desperate thinking) for an eventual decline this season.

pascell

Their defence is poor, injuries will happen and they lose Mane to the ACON in January, I think they could win it if they scrape results together during that January period.

Rafateria

And to flip that ... over the course of the season United have scored seven goals less than Liverpool and have the joint worst goal-scoring record in the top 8.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
People keep on saying this and they keep missing the fact that without any Euro football Liverpool's players will actually play less minutes than those at United, City, Spurs etc. So who is now more liable to suffer injuries if based on distance covered ? We played I think it was 60 matches last season, even with good runs in both domestic cups (say an average of the semis) then that is still only 48 games this season, or a maximum of 50 games if we were to somehow make both finals.
That's a fair point, something that works in Chelsea's favour as well I guess.