Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Member 5225

and yet you keep on throwing him under the bus.
Err I just don’t have rose tinted glasses on re his recent performances what’s wrong with that?
Ps in this context it was re the fee and how we are laughing at them by spent £75-90m or whatever

AshRK

Err I just don’t have rose tinted glasses on re his recent performances what’s wrong with that?
Ps in this context it was re the fee and how we are laughing at them by spent £75-90m or whatever
Err one is a 24 year old striker and other is a 26 year old defender and history always suggests strikers/attackers will cost you more. Even Morata cost around 60 (who has no experience in PL). Moreover, Lukaku is a proven goal scorer in PL. So when everton can sell their defender stones for 50, what makes you think Lukaku will be sold for a similar fee.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I think there's a middle ground here where Klopp is a hypocrite because of his bitter Pogba comments, but spending the money and buying VVD is still the right thing to do.

Rob67

I think there's a middle ground here where Klopp is a hypocrite because of his bitter Pogba comments, but spending the money and buying VVD is still the right thing to do.
Agree with this. Never had a problem with clubs buying players that are needed and paying the asking price to get them.
But wouldn't it be refreshing if one of the resident dippers came on here and admitted that Klopp's comment on the Pogba fee has now made him look a right twat now that they've paid £75m on VVD.

RedorDead21

Agree with this. Never had a problem with clubs buying players that are needed and paying the asking price to get them.
But wouldn't it be refreshing if one of the resident dippers came on here and admitted that Klopp's comment on the Pogba fee has now made him look a right twat now that they've paid £75m on VVD.
Just like jose is a twat for his reaction to Pep and city over celebrating....they are all twats lets be honest!

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He's absolutely spot on there. If the selling club want a certain amount you have to pay up. Sticking to your own low price estimate usually means not getting your target as we have learned in the past.
Can't disagree with anything Mourinho said there and I said much the same. You want the player, you pay the price. Liverpool have missed out on loads of signings over the years because we haven't paid the price. Now we have, I'm not complaining.

Rob67

Just like jose is a twat for his reaction to Pep and city over celebrating....they are all twats lets be honest!
Yeah, Jose can be a right twat at times, as can all managers.
But as I said, it would be nice for a Liverpool fan to criticise their manager for once and call him out for being a twat, instead of blindly worshipping him at all times.
I know it's a **** over there, but feck me, have a bit of self awareness.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
If you check the last few pages, almost every Liverpool fan agrees that Klopp was wrong to comment on the Pogba transfer.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
all this shows is that football lives in a very different time than the rest of the world. When klopp said that about pogba's transfer it made sense as the fee was way over the top for the type of player pogba is, but since then there have been stupid transfers taking place with neymar and city fullbacks, so now every club is asking for stupid money for their players and liverpool had to make a choice of whether to wait or go for it, which with city and others lurking around forced their hand.

Likes of titus bramble would be worth 20mil these days :rolleyes:

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
all this shows is that football lives in a very different time than the rest of the world. When klopp said that about pogba's transfer it made sense as the fee was way over the top for the type of player pogba is, but since then there have been stupid transfers taking place with neymar and city fullbacks, so now every club is asking for stupid money for their players and liverpool had to make a choice of whether to wait or go for it, which with city and others lurking around forced their hand.

Likes of titus bramble would be worth 20mil these days :rolleyes:
I can see premium attackers in the summer going for £100m+ as standard. The likes of Lemar etc. Even someone like Zaha will probably cost £40m at this stage.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Klopp used the Pogba situation to have a dig at us and give his friends in the press something else to beat us with. He is a hypocrite no question about that.

That aside, he needed a good defender and has gone out and addressed the situation. Can hardly blame him for the ridiculous price he had to pay as football's gone nuts. He'll do well to keep his thoughts to himself in future though.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Loving the mental gymnastics here referencing Neymar's fee as anything other than a one off. There's been a bit of a bump, sure, but saying that van Dijk costing £75 million represents anything other than overpaying by a fair amount is kidding themselves.

Neymar left Barcelona for PSG on 3rd August.

Dembele to Barcelona was announced on 25th August for ~£95 million.

Costa to Atletico was announced on 21st September for ~£60 million.

Sigurdsson to Everton was announced on 16th August for ~£40 million.

Dembele was the second most expensive transfer this summer, which if you exclude the Neymar deal, raised the world record fee by about £6 million. He only went for as much as he did because everyone knew Barca were looking to replace Neymar and had a shitload of money to spend doing so.

It was a similar story for Sigurdsson to Everton, as everyone knew they were looking for some sort of marquee signing in the wake of Lukaku leaving.

Costa was a key player for Chelsea in 2016/17 and scored 20 league goals as they went on to win the league. £60 million wasn't too far off the going rate for that sort of striker, regardless of how happy they were.

All of these were for attacking players as well.

You can use Walker and Mendy to City as excuses if you want, but everyone knows, as they do with United, that City have money to burn. Mendy signed from the reigning French champions, who would be losing a key player to a European rival, and weakening themselves in their attempts to fend of PSG domestically, and everyone and their dog knows that Walker came with both the English premium, as well as the Levy premium, and probably a domestic rival premium too. It wasn't really surprise that City got somewhat burned by the fees.

£75 million is a crazy fee for van Dijk.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Loving the mental gymnastics here referencing Neymar's fee as anything other than a one off. There's been a bit of a bump, sure, but saying that van Dijk costing £75 million represents anything other than overpaying by a fair amount is kidding themselves.

Dembele was the second most expensive transfer this summer, which if you exclude the Neymar deal, raised the world record fee by about £6 million. He only went for as much as he did because everyone knew Barca were looking to replace Neymar and had a shitload of money to spend doing so.

It was a similar story for Sigurdsson to Everton, as everyone knew they were looking for some sort of marquee signing in the wake of Lukaku leaving.

Costa was a key player for Chelsea in 2016/17 and scored 20 league goals as they went on to win the league. £60 million wasn't too far off the going rate for that sort of striker, regardless of how happy they were.

You can use Walker and Mendy to City as excuses if you want, but everyone knows, as they do with United, that City have money to burn. Mendy signed from the reigning French champions, who would be losing a key player to a European rival, and weakening themselves in their attempts to fend of PSG domestically, and everyone and their dog knows that Walker came with both the English premium, as well as the Levy premium, and probably a domestic rival premium too. It wasn't really surprise that City got somewhat burned by the fees.

What would you value Van Dijk at? I’d put him at £50 million or there about in the current market.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool

So did Mbappe to PSG for £166m (deferred) not happen? When 2 18(?) year olds are going for well over £100m then it's safe to say the market is fecked and £75m on one of the best defenders in the league and a missing piece of Klopps puzzle isn't so silly... Klopp acknowledged that he doesn't like spending this money but has to adapt.
Oh and Paul Joyce wrote a article saying that Klopp was very hesitant about spending this much but Mike Gordon and Micheal Edwards had to persuade him that it's ok to do so

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
So did Mbappe to PSG for £166m (deferred) not happen? When 2 18(?) year olds are going for well over £100m then it's safe to say the market is fecked and £75m on one of the best defenders in the league and a missing piece of Klopps puzzle isn't so silly... Klopp acknowledged that he doesn't like spending this money but has to adapt.
Oh and Paul Joyce wrote a article saying that Klopp was very hesitant about spending this much but Mike Gordon and Micheal Edwards had to persuade him that it's ok to do so
It’s not Klopp’s money though so I’m not sure why he’s that arsed to be honest. He came over to England to manage one of the biggest clubs in a league that has more cash swilling round it than any other league on the planet. Surely buying VVD for whatever Liverpool are prepared to pay is better than not strengthening the defence at all. Better for Liverpool, better for Klopp, and better for the fans.

As for his comments about the Pogba fee last year, it’s all a bit meh. Amusing that someone has highlighted them but he’s hardly the first manager to come out with a hypocritical comment.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
It’s not Klopp’s money though so I’m not sure why he’s that arsed to be honest. He came over to England to manage one of the biggest clubs in a league that has more cash swilling round it than any other league on the planet. Surely buying VVD for whatever Liverpool are prepared to pay is better than not strengthening the defence at all. Better for Liverpool, better for Klopp, and better for the fans.

As for his comments about the Pogba fee last year, it’s all a bit meh. Amusing that someone has highlighted them but he’s hardly the first manager to come out with a hypocritical comment.
Spot on, 100% agree.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What would you value Van Dijk at? I’d put him at £50 million or there about in the current market.
£40-£50 million. Which at the top end still means you've overpaid by 50% again. If he was going to a club outside of England, or possibly any club not Liverpool I wouldn't have been surprised to see him move for less than £40 million.

Mbappe went to the same club as Neymar. PSG have been throwing such silly money around that anyone they want to buy is automatically going to have an extra 25-50% added onto their valuation just because clubs know that they can and will pay it.

Not one person has mentioned Mbappe, hence I didn't. Also, the fact that he went to the same club as Neymar doesn't really counter the point I made. Clubs not PSG weren't paying the overvalued amounts that have been claimed. General transfer fees have raised a bit, but that's been happening steadily anyway.

I've not even mentioned Klopp's statement about quitting football when he has to pay that sort of fee, but it's not the first time he's said something absolute, only to turn around and do the opposite some time later, so you can hardly fault fans of his biggest rivals taking the piss for it. Regardless of whether Klopp wanted to pay it or not, £75 million for van Dijk is a silly amount of money, and I certainly don't buy this idea that he's one of the best defenders in the league. Top 10 central defenders, maybe, but I wouldn't stretch it any further than that. £75 million is a daft amount to be paying for a player that has had one full good season in the Premier League, then spent half of the following season out injured.

Giggs86

So, is this Wonder Dick lad really that good? Any danger of him massively improving pool's defense?

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
So, is this Wonder Dick lad really that good? Any danger of him massively improving pool's defense?
He’s very good. Rumours that City were sniffing round him (which might’ve further bumped up the fee), and while we probably need a CB due to Kompany forever breaking down I think it’s fair to say that Liverpool’s need to strengthen that area is greater than ours so that in turn means he should improve their defence more than he would improve ours. With Keita inbound in the summer, they’re slowly but surely improving their squad.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Hes a 40m tops player. You've paid almost double his true value IMHO
Fair enough, but that won’t matter if he turns out to be a great signing.
£40-£50 million. Which at the top end still means you've overpaid by 50% again. If he was going to a club outside of England, or possibly any club not Liverpool I wouldn't have been surprised to see him move for less than £40 million.
I think £40 million is the minimum he’d go for based on his value from Southampton’s point of view.

I won’t disagree with either of you that we’ve overpaid though. The price we pay for what happened in the summer.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Fair enough, but that won’t matter if he turns out to be a great signing.

I think £40 million is the minimum he’d go for based on his value from Southampton’s point of view.

I won’t disagree with either of you that we’ve overpaid though. The price we pay for what happened in the summer.
I don't really disagree with you when you say it'll be forgotten if he turns out great. Any noticeable improvement in your defense will mark him down as a success.

It's just funny from a United perspective to have Klopp's comments from last season about transfer fees, and the often incessant arguing from your fellow supporters about how he's not a cheque-book manager, only for him to turn round and spend £75 million on a centre-back off the back of a good season that ended 18 months ago.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
This is a market where Gylfi Sigurdsson costs £45m and Mamadou Sakho moved to Crystal Palace for £30m after being completely ostracised by his manager. To say that VVD (with 5 years left on his contract) is worth £40m is wishful thinking.

Southampton wanted £70m from the end of last season, even before it came out that he had chosen us. The fee was always going to be around this amount.

Solver

Let down badly by Gomez for the first goal. Lazy, lazy defending but he's not normally a culprit. That gave Arsenal the momentum.
hmmm... but isn't that why Klopp is not really good at setting up a defence. There's a lot being said about this Gomez fellow but the arsenal mistake was a repeat form another game- I can't remember which. It was the same mistake of a mentally tired or not-so-bright defender not attacking the ball but waiting for it to reach him and then being beaten to it by an attacker. Liverpool's defenders all commit the same type of error and boy does it cost them lol

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Gonna defend Klopp & Liverpool a bit here - yes it's an overpay (I'd value him at about £50-55m), but they absolutely had to get a top quality CB in ASAP to replace Lovren in the XI, and Van Dijk is probably the CB around who fits them best.

Issues I've noticed with Liverpool's defence this season:
  • Struggled to defend through-balls due to lack of recovery speed.
  • Been easy for runners to time their movement off the shoulder of defenders - due to inability to align defensive line properly and defenders being staggered and out of position.
  • Poor defending set-pieces and aerial duels in their box.
Van Dijk is probably the most dominant CB in the air in the PL, and quick. He's also been spoken about as a leader, and thus should have the ability to properly organize Liverpool's defence (Liverpool also lack regular XI leaders in general, so he could be a future captain).

He's also technically good and comfortable and composed on the ball with the ability to play quick balls over the top.

So all-in-all, yes I think they've overpaid and their were potentially cheaper options on the board like De Vrij, Inigo Martinez, Koulibaly, Manolas for between £30-45m, but none of them combine the physicality, ability on the ball, leadership and PL experience that Van Dijk has.

I agree with what Klopp said really - sometimes you have to forget the fee and think about the player you've attained, i.e. sometimes you have to overpay for the player you really want, and it's not always a case of just you being one-tracked minded and you should look at other targets, occasionally a player is just by far the best option for the way you want the team to play.

It's a shame he looked like a hypocrite in the process of making this point though after his Pogba comments. :lol:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This still just seems ridiculous. Can't wrap my head around that particular transfer.
Everton were like Diet Barcelona with Neymar in that instance. They just sold a key player for a record transfer fee and everyone knew they had money to burn, couple that with the fact that Swansea really didn't want to let Sigurdsson go and Everton's apparent lack of alternative transfer targets, and they ended up paying over the odds for a player worth probably 70% of that fee at most.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Southampton wanted £70m from the end of last season, even before it came out that he had chosen us. The fee was always going to be around this amount.
Do you think we would’ve got him for less if we’d not been caught tapping up?

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Probably around 60-65M. Nevetheless I think this is also about the reputation that you do not let the player hanging and making a statement for a potential free signing like Goretzka, who wants to play for a contender moving in the right direction.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
You’re deluding yourself.

He’s blatantly been given the classic Liverpool line of “please stay one more season then we’ll sell you without fuss next summer”.

Probably why he hasn’t been kicking off too much in the press despite making his feelings abundantly clear in the summer.
Delusion would be if I said he's definitely staying. I'm aware it's very possible he leaves, but he will have four years left on his deal in the summer and the likes of Balague are saying that Barca cannot afford him and we still do not want to sell. Evidence would suggest that may be true (derisory bids which were nowhere near our valuation), especially as his value has probably increased further since the summer. It will take a bid of around £130-150m - Barca have gotten nowhere near that.

hmmm... but isn't that why Klopp is not really good at setting up a defence. There's a lot being said about this Gomez fellow but the arsenal mistake was a repeat form another game- I can't remember which. It was the same mistake of a mentally tired or not-so-bright defender not attacking the ball but waiting for it to reach him and then being beaten to it by an attacker. Liverpool's defenders all commit the same type of error and bot does it cost them lol
Yeah, he's switched off in a similar manner a couple of times. He'll need to fix that soon but he gets a pass because he's only 20 and clearly talented.

Don't think there would have been a huge difference. £70m has been the fee quoted in the press since May.

Last edited:

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I don't think people realise the amount of money that is about to be earned by clubs in the premier league. The new tv deal both domestic and international mean that even relegation candidates will have more money from tv deals than both Barcelona and Real Madrid. It is truly unprecedented. That is the reason sackings are taking place more than any other season. The money to be earned than his year is truly astonishing.

Only now that there is an influx of great coaches are the resources being directed correctly after a long time of misuse.

The fees at the end of the day are a result of the resources available. 50 million is the new 25 million.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I don't think people realise the amount of money that is about to be earned by clubs in the premier league. The new tv deal both domestic and international mean that even relegation candidates will have more money from tv deals than both Barcelona and Real Madrid. It is truly unprecedented. That is the reason sackings are taking place more than any other season. The money to be earned than his year is truly astonishing.

Only now that there is an influx of great coaches are the resources being directed correctly after a long time of misuse.

The fees at the end of the day are a result of the resources available. 50 million is the new 25 million.
Thats wrong.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
People always said pries will be like more than ever because of new TV deal, this is not new. That's the reason no one was surprised to see big money thrown at players even by smaller clubs.
I understand that but we are seeing people still be astonished by the price of players today. It just feels like a lot of people don't realise the actual numbers that the premier league is about to generate.