Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Ban

:lol: Calm down precious, I haven’t defended Klopp, his statements make him look like a bellend. But no more so than Jose, who’s also very prone to hypocrisy, so to defend one and attack the other seems pretty hypocritical in itself to me.
Yeah you wouldn't be you not to take a chance of a cheap shot at Mourinho. At least you're consistent.
I mean what has he got with the whole thing, Klopp thread about Klopp speaking bollocks but no. Jose needs to get a mention.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Come off it. You're usually quite reasonable but no way on earth is VVD worth 75m pounds.

1) No resale value
2) No premium on potential as he's almost 27
3) No real European pedigree
4) No real international pedigree
5) Only 60 or so PL games to his name

You've probably paid double his actual value.
Whilst I agree with this, it was either a case of pay up or lose out. We were desperate for a CB, Southampton knew who we wanted and also knew that other clubs wanted him too. The price is simple supply and demand so they charged what they thought they could get away with and we paid it.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Come off it. You're usually quite reasonable but no way on earth is VVD worth 75m pounds.

1) No resale value

The funny thing is, if he does genuinely go on to be world class like many on here claim him to be, the second the Real Madrid's or Barcelona's of this world show him a bit of leg he will be right up it like a rat up a drain pipe since he has form for it. He won't be finishing his career there if he does reach his supposed potential.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Simple question:

Why is Jurgen Klopp allowed to do anything on the touchline - scream / rant / hurl bottles / place his face so near the 4th official while screaming etc, etc etc ???

TheReligion

Abusive
Whilst I agree with this, it was either a case of pay up or lose out. We were desperate for a CB, Southampton knew who we wanted and also knew that other clubs wanted him too. The price is simple supply and demand so they charged what they thought they could get away with and we paid it.
So you understand why people will call him vastly overpriced then?

In addition the way Klopp and many of you lot commented on Pogba is now seeming very hypocritical. Surely you see that?

It's massive money for a centre back, but that could soon be the going rate now we have a world record of 200 million for a player. I remember when we signed Ferdinand for 30 million back in 2002 and nobody could believe it. The merits of the fee will only become apparent in time.

Borden

Yeah you wouldn't be you not to take a chance of a cheap shot at Mourinho. At least you're consistent.
I mean what has he got with the whole thing, Klopp thread about Klopp speaking bollocks but no. Jose needs to get a mention.
Surely you see the irony in being upset by me pointing out hypocrisy, while simultaneously complaining about Klopp being a hypocrite?

Member 5225

1) No resale value

Whilst I agree with the points above, no denying he's an excellent PL-proven CB. In terms of £££, well, agreed with the second post re: pay-up or lose-out, as the market seems to be these days.

Lads, we spent £90m on Lukaku from Everton!

clarkydaz

1) No resale value

didn't realise that. that is a lot of coin

TheReligion

Abusive
Whilst I agree with the points above, no denying he's an excellent PL-proven CB. In terms of £££, well, agreed with the second post re: pay-up or lose-out, as the market seems to be these days.

Lads, we spent £90m on Lukaku from Everton!
Whilst I do think Lukaku was over priced I don't think he's AS over priced as VVD.

1) Proven PL quality
2) Proven PL goalscorer
3) Proven at international level
4) Younger with more scope to develop

Ban

Surely you see the irony in being upset by me pointing out hypocrisy, while simultaneously complaining about Klopp being a hypocrite?
I'm not upset about anything. Least of all you pointing up anything. Just asking why did you go into trouble mentioning Mourinho. I get it when Liverpool fans do it, they defend Klopp by every means necessary and usually it's by mentioning Mourinho every time someone mentions their manager. It's just strange when United fans do it too. But as it's you and your work is well knows it's not that surprising.

Member 5225

Whilst I do think Lukaku was over priced I don't think he's AS over priced as VVD.

1) Proven PL quality
2) Proven PL goalscorer
3) Proven at international level
4) Younger with more scope to develop
Yep I see your point, but VVD could be the perfect fit for an obvious hole, which would arguably be better value for money vs 'young + scope' etc etc

TheReligion

Abusive
Yep I see your point, but VVD could be the perfect fit for an obvious hole, which would arguably be better value for money vs 'young + scope' etc etc
Listen, I don't doubt he will improve them and in that respect it's a good signing, however the money involved is beyond ridiculous.

Expectations will be he's the best centre half in the world for that money and rightly so. Sadly he's nowhere near that level IMO.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
So you understand why people will call him vastly overpriced then?

In addition the way Klopp and many of you lot commented on Pogba is now seeming very hypocritical. Surely you see that?
Of course people will say that in the same way they said it about Sheared when he went for £15m to Newcastle or Ferdinand for £30m to Utd or Zindane for £47m. The fee is what it is set down by the selling club. If Liverpool had said "we'll pay £30m and no more", Southampton would have told us exactly where to stick that £30m as they sell VVD to City for the £70m they wanted.
Lukaku and Pogba combined cost £170m which is also outrageous but the club's wanted the money, you wanted the players and everyone (apart from the fans for some reason) are happy.
I don't care how much money is thrown around, the reality is that the sums are ridiculous. The only price in the Premier League thaf I actually care about are tickets as that does affect me

Listen, I don't doubt he will improve them and in that respect it's a good signing, however the money involved is beyond ridiculous.

Expectations will be he's the best centre half in the world for that money and rightly so. Sadly he's nowhere near that level IMO.
But that isn't his fault; the player has no say on the fee. Ultimately it will depend upon whether he improves Liverpool, especially in the modern EPL, where money is thrown around like confetti.

TheReligion

Abusive
Of course people will say that in the same way they said it about Sheared when he went for £15m to Newcastle or Ferdinand for £30m to Utd or Zindane for £47m. The fee is what it is set down by the selling club. If Liverpool had said "we'll pay £30m and no more", Southampton would have told us exactly where to stick that £30m as they sell VVD to City for the £70m they wanted.
Lukaku and Pogba combined cost £170m which is also outrageous but the club's wanted the money, you wanted the players and everyone (apart from the fans for some reason) are happy.
I don't care how much money is thrown around, the reality is that the sums are ridiculous. The only price in the Premier League thaf I actually care about are tickets as that does affect me
Do you not see a semblance of difference in the names you're throwing about though?

Shearer, Pogba, Zidane, Ferdinand... Then Virgil van Dijk

Member 5225

Until transfers reguarly hit triple-digits in 2/3 years time?

With all due respect mate, it is 'ridiculous' on your lay-mans perspective of what fees should be. I'm sure clubs to their homework (have financial analysts crunching pros and cons) + it's a sellers market 'pay up or shut up'.

If he fills his purpose, everyone will forget the £££ (e.g. Rio when we bought him, all of Chelski's spend in their early years, R.Madrid, etc!!)

TheReligion

Abusive
Until transfers reguarly hit triple-digits in 2/3 years time?

With all due respect mate, it is 'ridiculous' on your lay-mans perspective of what fees should be. I'm sure clubs to their homework (have financial analysts crunching pros and cons) + it's a sellers market 'pay up or shut up'.

If he fills his purpose, everyone will forget the £££ (e.g. Rio when we bought him, all of Chelski's spend in their early years, R.Madrid, etc!!)
I think we probably rate the player differently.

For me to be the most expensive player in your position in the world usually means you're one of the best in the world.

Pogba, Neymar, Ronaldo, Bale at the time etc..

I just don't hold VVD in that light. Good player but nothing more.

Moonred

That’s the problem when you are incoherent and ramble like a fool. You end up spouting tripe. Luckily for him, it’s the same for many and people don’t really care as long as you bring result. But it doesn’t take away what’s always been established that Klopp is a plonker.

Member 5225

I think we probably rate the player differently.

For me to be the most expensive player in your position in the world usually means you're one of the best in the world.

Pogba, Neymar, Ronaldo, Bale at the time etc..

I just don't hold VVD in that light. Good player but nothing more.
My thing is you seem fixated on price, when the goalposts have shifted (pardon the pun).
Perhaps £75m is the new £25m (what we're used to)?

TheReligion

Abusive
My thing is you seem fixated on price, when the goalposts have shifted (pardon the pun).
Perhaps £75m is the new £25m (what we're used to)?
There were plenty fixated on the Pogba fee included Herr Klopp himself. Oddly now Liverpool have done this fees don't really matter that much.

That's kind of my point.

Member 5225

There were plenty fixated on the Pogba fee included Herr Klopp himself. Oddly now Liverpool have done this fees don't really matter that much.

That's kind of my point.
That's their deluded opinion to be had, I'm sure in hindsight they'd now think differently (and in the case of Klopp publicly so).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

1) No resale value

I think he’s worth more than £35-40 million in the current market.

We’ve probably overpaid by about £20 million due to rumours linking him with City forcing our hand, but he’s still better than any other CB at the club and has plenty of good years left.

I’m sure we’ll still have defensive issues due to Klopp’s style of play, but I’m happy we’ve signed him.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

That's kind of my point.
I didn’t have an issue with Pogba’s fee personally.

Rob67

I’m not sure why Pogba’s fee is relevant here.

18 months ago fees were no where near as inflated as they are now. Everything exploded in the last window.

We’ve overpaid but it’s not as extreme as some are making it out to be.
Is Kyle Walker's fee relevant?
Similar age, transfer only 5/6 months ago, £50 million.
You've just spunked 50% on top of that for fecking VVD.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
A lot of people here are salty about Klopp spending that much on a player. The irony is that unfortunately it may have been that very Pogba transfer that somewhat changed the dynamics of football transfers in the EPL.

Javi

Simple question:

Why is Jurgen Klopp allowed to do anything on the touchline - scream / rant / hurl bottles / place his face so near the 4th official while screaming etc, etc etc ???
It's just passion (wo)man.

On a serious note I don't know. I don't really see who is being harmed by his antics either. Personally I simply decided to not care and it hasn't bothered me ever since.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Is Kyle Walker's fee relevant?
Similar age, transfer only 5/6 months ago, £50 million.
You've just spunked 50% on top of that for fecking VVD.
Exactly. That extra £20/£25 million is probably panic. From that perspective we did over pay but I think he’s a very good player and makes us stronger at CB than we were.

He could turn out to be a dud but I think we’re much better with him personally.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
When pogba was transferred he became the most expensive player in the world. VVD’s fee isn’t even half of the current most expensive player. The market has shifted incredibly in the last year or so.

I still think we overpaid for him in the current market by maybe 10-15m but he is the one Klopp wanted and as someone else pointed out it’s a sellers market. Also if we hadn’t made such a pigs ear of it in the summer we might have got him cheaper then.

ultratt

Supports
Liverpool

1) No resale value

Come on. His birthday is 8 July 1991. How can you claim he is almost 27. Why not just round it up to say he is almost 30 to fit your no potential argument. For a defender, 26 is very young.

5red

Supports
Liverpool
I think everyone agrees that Liverpool need to strengthen at the back. Yes £75m is an extraodinary amount to pay for a CB, and many have said that should buy you the best CB in Europe or indeed the world, not a player who is just better than what we have already. But ask yourself this, if we offered £75m for the best CB in the world ....... (insert your preference for who this is), would the team who currently have this player sell them to us for this price?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Whoever you guys consider to be the best CB in the World Liverpool would not be able to sign him. Van Dijk was the best they could do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When pogba was transferred he became the most expensive player in the world. VVD’s fee isn’t even half of the current most expensive player. The market has shifted incredibly in the last year or so.

I still think we overpaid for him in the current market by maybe 10-15m but he is the one Klopp wanted and as someone else pointed out it’s a sellers market. Also if we hadn’t made such a pigs ear of it in the summer we might have got him cheaper then.
Or you could say you broke the record for most expensive CB by 50%.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
Funny everyone forgets the 40m fee for Oxlaide-Chamberlain..

40m Ox
35m Salah
75m VVD
67m Keita

If that's not mega money then I don't know what is? 217 million on 4 players.

The expectation has got to be trophies surely.
are saying klopp has spent 217 milns when keita is still playing for lapzig and vvd is still in Southampton shirt? By that mean pep, kante, and mourinho would easily cross 400miln if we add their future signings. Can you really comapare?

Yes we are spending , no one is denying it, fortunately we finally have owners who show some balls but that doesn't mean we are spending big. 40 miln OX ? 35-40 is the basic price for a good footballer these days. Thats not Mega spending.

Coming back to your point, about the pressure, ..

Klopp in his first ever press conference ... Himself brought that topic on, he talked about winning it in 3-4yrs. Its obvious he knows it, the owners must have made it clear...if not why would a manager dug his own grave by saying i will try and give a title in 3 yrs? Pressure was there even before he spent a single penny. That being said you can't always link up the two things, yes klopp is spending money and yes he is taking us forward....but you cant hold him responsible and pull the plug on him just because there are teams who are outspending us regularly, and there are teams with one of the very best players and manager like kdb, pep. Yes we would expect him to come with some solution to it but to say f*ck off klopp you cant beat city ...we are firing you , that would be stupid.

Last edited:

BAJAMCSE

What on earth you on about? The poster you praised got the fee wrong. I was pointing out he lost credibility the moment he did.
A quick google indicates Pogba’s transfer was €105m euros with €5m euros in addons which actually comes out at £97m pounds at the current exchange rate.

Rafateria

Well in this case he deserves to be called a hypocrite. Agree?
Taken at face value .. yes, I agree. When considering what has happened with the market, it could considered disputable. However it was 18 months ago and people's opinions are allowed to change, if you asked him today I've no doubt his opinion wouldn't be the same on what constitutes an excessive fee since so much has changed ... and he would almost certainly regret making that statement back then.