Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

BAJAMCSE

Yes, but the point still stands.
I’d say at the time £95 million for Pogba was mind blowing and Klopp wasn’t wrong to say what he did, but since last summer and the Neymar deal, what Klopp said has to be viewed in a different light as the figures for players have doubled. £75 million is now the what would have been £35 million when Klopp made his comment. It’s not that hypocritical, the market has changed drastically.

Member 39557

How do Southampton go from reporting Liverpool for tapping up to eventually selling the player to them?
I don't like Klopp anymore. Every manager that goes there drinks the Koolaid and starts coming out with delusional rubbish. I do like the fact he has a mini me though.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’d say at the time £95 million for Pogba was mind blowing and Klopp wasn’t wrong to say what he did, but since last summer and the Neymar deal, what Klopp said has to be viewed in a different light as the figures for players have doubled. £75 million is now the what would have been £35 million when Klopp made his comment. It’s not that hypocritical, the market has changed drastically.
You do know Pogba was 89m right?

TheReligion

Abusive
Klopp signed Grujic and brought in Caulker on loan during his first season. He then decided to play Caulker up front and lump the ball forward to him as Liverpool chased a goal, something he'd criticised United for doing with Fellaini about a week earlier.

Klopp was also brought in very early, eight games into the domestic season and appointed on October 8th because there was a fear that top 4 would slip away from Liverpool if a change wasn't made. At the time of his appointment, Liverpool were 3 points off 4th. They finished the season in 8th, trophyless, and outside of the European places entirely, securing their lowest finish since Dalglish's second stint.

He was not a midway appointment. He did sign players. He failed to meet his first season's objectives.

The line from Liverpool fans at the point was "wait until his first full season," so we did. Liverpool finished 4th and trophyless, but 4th was at least a step in the right direction.

However, since Klopp's first full season, Liverpool have the 3rd highest net spend of any of the top 6 clubs, having been outspent by only United and City. They have also spent over £100 million more than both Chelsea and Spurs.

Liverpool are currently sat 4th, closer to Arsenal in 6th than they are to Chelsea in 3rd. They fell at the first hurdle in the League Cup, and have the most difficult 3rd round draw of any of the top 6 in the FA Cup, a competition that Klopp has yet to see past the 4th round in. With pretty much every English side not Manchester City, they are rank outsiders for the Champions League.

Liverpool look very much on course to have another trophyless season, and also look well on course to be scrapping for 4th. This would not be making "forward strides," it'd be the very definition of stagnation.

Also, Liverpool categorically do not have the 3rd best attack in Europe ffs.

There's another side to the coin that you're not really discussing with Keita and van Dijk.

With Keita, you've got a near £70 million signing confirmed, but he's not joining you until next summer. By which time, Coutinho and Can could be gone, and Liverpool could have slipped back out of the top 4, having gone through yet another trophyless season, and will find themselves once again playing catch up.

With van Dijk, you've just broken the bank mid-season for a player that you spent all summer refusing to break the bank for, a player that's played in just 16 matches in 2017.

This is garbage transfer business however you look at it, regardless of how good these players might be for you when they actually arrive.

Ever since Klopp arrived it's been a case of tempering expectations until next season. In 2015/16 it was "wait until next season when he has a summer transfer window". In 2016/17 it was "wait until he's had a full season so things can click." Now it's "wait until our signings that we didn't bring in straight away are actually available." If Coutinho goes it'll be "wait until his replacement is properly settled/the team adapts."

When he arrived he said he'd deliver Liverpool the title within 3 seasons, and you all lapped it up. Even if you discount 2015/16 as he arrived in October with the insurmountable gap of 6 points off top to claw back, he's halfway through season 2 now and don't look remotely close to winning the league next season. You'll tell me you never believed that was possible, which I'd agree with, but the broader point is that Klopp promised success. Thus far that success is losing two cup finals and finishing 4th by a point. Disregarding the League Cup and FA Cup because they "mean nothing" misses the point regarding fan expectations, and seems incredibly odd as they're the only two trophies you've won in the last 12 seasons.

Forget the fact that there are now multiple generations of Liverpool fans that have never seen them win the league, if you disregard the FA Cup and League Cup in the way you suggest, you're going to end up with a generation of Liverpool fans that have never seen them win anything.
Very good post

automaticflare

Klopp signed Grujic and brought in Caulker on loan during his first season. He then decided to play Caulker up front and lump the ball forward to him as Liverpool chased a goal, something he'd criticised United for doing with Fellaini about a week earlier.

Klopp was also brought in very early, eight games into the domestic season and appointed on October 8th because there was a fear that top 4 would slip away from Liverpool if a change wasn't made. At the time of his appointment, Liverpool were 3 points off 4th. They finished the season in 8th, trophyless, and outside of the European places entirely, securing their lowest finish since Dalglish's second stint.

He was not a midway appointment. He did sign players. He failed to meet his first season's objectives.

The line from Liverpool fans at the point was "wait until his first full season," so we did. Liverpool finished 4th and trophyless, but 4th was at least a step in the right direction.

However, since Klopp's first full season, Liverpool have the 3rd highest net spend of any of the top 6 clubs, having been outspent by only United and City. They have also spent over £100 million more than both Chelsea and Spurs.

Liverpool are currently sat 4th, closer to Arsenal in 6th than they are to Chelsea in 3rd. They fell at the first hurdle in the League Cup, and have the most difficult 3rd round draw of any of the top 6 in the FA Cup, a competition that Klopp has yet to see past the 4th round in. With pretty much every English side not Manchester City, they are rank outsiders for the Champions League.

Liverpool look very much on course to have another trophyless season, and also look well on course to be scrapping for 4th. This would not be making "forward strides," it'd be the very definition of stagnation.

There's another side to the coin that you're not really discussing with Keita and van Dijk.

With Keita, you've got a near £70 million signing confirmed, but he's not joining you until next summer. By which time, Coutinho and Can could be gone, and Liverpool could have slipped back out of the top 4, having gone through yet another trophyless season, and will find themselves once again playing catch up.

With van Dijk, you've just broken the bank mid-season for a player that you spent all summer refusing to break the bank for, a player that's played in just 16 matches in 2017.

This is garbage transfer business however you look at it, regardless of how good these players might be for you when they actually arrive.

Ever since Klopp arrived it's been a case of tempering expectations until next season. In 2015/16 it was "wait until next season when he has a summer transfer window". In 2016/17 it was "wait until he's had a full season so things can click." Now it's "wait until our signings that we didn't bring in straight away are actually available." If Coutinho goes it'll be "wait until his replacement is properly settled/the team adapts."

When he arrived he said he'd deliver Liverpool the title within 3 seasons, and you all lapped it up. Even if you discount 2015/16 as he arrived in October with the insurmountable gap of 6 points off top to claw back, he's halfway through season 2 now and don't look remotely close to winning the league next season. You'll tell me you never believed that was possible, which I'd agree with, but the broader point is that Klopp promised success. Thus far that success is losing two cup finals and finishing 4th by a point. Disregarding the League Cup and FA Cup because they "mean nothing" misses the point regarding fan expectations, and seems incredibly odd as they're the only two trophies you've won in the last 12 seasons.

Forget the fact that there are now multiple generations of Liverpool fans that have never seen them win the league, if you disregard the FA Cup and League Cup in the way you suggest, you're going to end up with a generation of Liverpool fans that have never seen them win anything.
Awesome
It is always a case of next season with them.
I'm flabbergasted at the disregard for 2 cups. Agreed that they are low priorities but insane for a club starved of success to ignore them.
Next year is their year

SER19

An absolute dwarf of a man doing a full u turn on something he got so self righteous about. Doesn't surprise me in the least, serial loser

Rafateria

You are including two players that haven't even trained for us let alone played, yet now, just 24 hours after the VVD announcement, it's OK to use that figure to berate Klopp/LFC with ? Oh dear.

All the top clubs use to the LC and even early rounds of the FAC, to blood youngsters or even full shadow squad teams. So it's no surprise if one or two get knocked out, it happens every season now. What has the difficulty of a draw got to do with anything ? Besides which we are at home to a struggling and clearly inferior Everton and it'd be a major upset if we failed to clear that hurdle. CL outsiders ? So what ? Though I think we probably are middling at worst on the bookies lists. A lot of people are giving us that Dark Horse chance.

Stagnation !?! Beyond comment .... it's that far from the truth and you'd struggle to find anyone to agree with you because no-one thinks we are stagnating. And I'd say (as more than a few United fans here seem to agree) that we will as likely finish above United as not. With half a season to go the battle is currently for 2nd to 6th not 4th alone.

You're right. It's currently 4th if scoring goals is the only criteria over 2017.

There's another side to the coin that you're not really discussing with Keita and van Dijk. With Keita, you've got a near £70 million signing confirmed, but he's not joining you until next summer. By which time, Coutinho and Can could be gone, and Liverpool could have slipped back out of the top 4, having gone through yet another trophyless season, and will find themselves once again playing catch up.
Can would be a squad player at best by next season so not sure why you think he'll be any loss at all - I've already stated on these boards I'm quite happy to see him go as I don't rate him. You've also conveniently forgotten to consider what recruitments could/will be made to account for Can and Coutinho's departure (assuming he leaves - 95% certain). The Echo thought we had £200m net to spend last Summer, even allowing for VVDs purchase we'll have plenty in the bank for this Summer which could be an awful lot more should Coutinho leave. How much his departure would affect us is worthy of a thread by itself - however we would still have a superb attack with Salah, Mane, Firmino, Lallana, whoever Sturridge's replacement is, and the ever improving Ox (and no, there isn't a chance in hell any of the other attackers would be let go no matter who came in for them).

Not sure the games he's played is in the slightest bit relevant. In fact it makes him as fresh as a daisy for the remaining half a season and CL campaign. We didn't refuse to break the bank, as you obviously know. We had to stall due to the 'leak' and Southampton's threat, not at all sure how that constitutes 'refusing'.

There is always a degree of 'might' with any signing. Look at Pogba to date, nowhere near his potential or even Juve form. On the other hand they could be even better, apropos Salah. Clearly LFC have a long term strategy in place, far better that than splashing out on players that don't meet the criteria set. In the meantime I'd hardly say we are doing badly.

Clearly under Klopp there was always a long-term plan in place - no matter how you like to try and spin it. If you are trying to implement a long term strategy then obviously short term will suffer to a degree as can be seen with our impotent attack. The defence is slowly coming together, as is the midfield with the Keita signing. Work remains to be done though to replace Hendo as a first team player, by next season.

When he arrived he said he'd deliver Liverpool the title within 3 seasons, and you all lapped it up.
Actually I don't think he said he'd deliver the title within 3 years at all though I know it's a popular myth on RC.

I said the FAC and LC aren't of any value in promoting a club's image any more, not that we wouldn't win them and give the fans a great day out. Do you actually believe anything bar the CL and PL have any true value to the top PL teams now ? FAC wins have done nothing for Arsenal, for example. As I said they are nice days out and the fans love it, but they have nothing but cosmetic value to the top clubs.

It comes as no surprise Alex that you have such a jaundiced and twisted view of past events and are trying to pour water on current optimism. It's the usual United/anti-LFC bias we can expect from you. I've no doubt that very few, even here on RC, would agree with your outlook and assessment. In the meantime the fear is palpable.

Last edited:

Rafateria

Sssh. No common sense logic should be applied when Klopp is the subject of derision.

GiddyUp

Southampton are the Jedi to Liverpool's storm trooper, "you will take this player for three times their worth".

Ban

:lol:
rafateria is on form. It's well documented what Klopp said but no he'll spin it like he wants to.
It's as if they get hurt if they don't praise and defend him at every opportunity.

Rafateria

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Keita cost £48m, not 70.

It's amazing the mental gymnastics some will employ to suggest that LFC aren't improving under Klopp. To the point where debating becomes pointless in the face of such staunch agenda. Trumpian stuff.

Rafateria

Standard reply for somebody explicitly contradicted by serial loser Jurgen and his petty quotes. Here is 155m on two players later
And 18 months later and an explosion in transfer fees which obviously can not be taken into account. In other news the earth is flat.

Rafateria

:lol:
rafateria is on form. It's well documented what Klopp said but no he'll spin it like he wants to.
It's as if they get hurt if they don't praise and defend him at every opportunity.
I don't need to spin it. It's how you interpret ' pretty confident'. I doubt in any court, bar the RC court of opinion, that that constitutes a 'promise' as it's usually depicted here.

Ban

I don't need to spin it. It's how you interpret ' pretty confident'. I doubt in any court, bar the RC court of opinion, that that constitutes a 'promise' as it's usually depicted here.
I meant quitting football part, Pogba fee and so on.
Oh yeah fees have gone bonkers so he's excused.
God forbid saying anything against him you're a man on a mission today.

SER19

And 18 months later and an explosion in transfer fees which obviously can not be taken into account. In other news the earth is flat.
He's just broken the world record for a defender. High fees or not he's the one who has set the newest standard. Sad hypocrite. Broke the record by the guts of 25 million (the other one being set in the current market)

Accept it and go argue his corner elsewhere. You're just wrong., emotions aside.

MadMike

Sorry mate, but I call bollox. City spent £50m on Stones the day after the Pogba deal, the market was already inflated. Real Madrid had spent same money (£85m) on Bale two years before. Pogba's transfer at the time was only incrementally higher than what had preceded for precociously talented midfielders (literally by £4m). Also Neymar-effect or whatever, the clubs' finances haven't actually changed that much in 18 months. So £75m for a CB is still a helluva lot of money that clubs don't generate any easier than 18 months ago.

At the time, Mourinho could clearly see it with his comment "Next year, the transfer record will break again and the Pogba money won't seem so much". Yet, Klopp was either being thick and couldn't see it or he could see it and he was being a hypocrite smart-arse. I think being a hypocrite is better than being thick.

Kapardin

Keita cost £48m, not 70.

It's amazing the mental gymnastics some will employ to suggest that LFC aren't improving under Klopp. To the point where debating becomes pointless in the face of such staunch agenda. Trumpian stuff.
Correction. You improved last season under Klopp to finish 4th. You are stagnant this season.

Improvement is not judged by who he signs, but whether you win any trophies with the signings. That being said, VVD is a necessary signing and nobody should give a feck about the fee if the team needs such a player.

Rafateria

I meant quitting football part, Pogba fee and so on.
Oh yeah fees have gone bonkers so he's excused.
God forbid saying anything against him you're a man on a mission today.
Mate, he gets battered here week in week out and I say virtually nothing, sometimes because he deserves it ! However it seems the VVD signing is of secondary importance here to firing broadsides at Klopp. Anyway nothing that shouldn't be expected I guess.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mate, he gets battered here week in week out and I say virtually nothing, sometimes because he deserves it ! However it seems the VVD signing is of secondary importance here to firing broadsides at Klopp. Anyway nothing that shouldn't be expected I guess.
Because he said he'd never spend that much on a player even if he had the money. Every manager has their hypocritical moments but that was monumentally stupid. It wasn't even a time where players were cheap either.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Correction. You improved last season under Klopp to finish 4th. You are stagnant this season.

Improvement is not judged by who he signs, but whether you win any trophies with the signings. That being said, VVD is a necessary signing and nobody should give a feck about the fee if the team needs such a player.
Has this season finished? So how can you say we are stagnant?

SER19

Strange, I can't remember him giving us the same leeway when it came to the Pogba price. And Pogba is a young and genuine WC talent, VVD is not.
He did less than give us leeway, he said that even if he had the money he wouldn't do it and that you buy big and win trophies but that's not his way.

I now assume he meant his way is to buy big and not win trophies.

el3mel

That's some high level of hypocrisy I can't believe I'll see with any other manager.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Klopp has now said people should forget about the fee and just concentrate on the player, because he knows he's a stupid hypocrite.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Keita cost £48m, not 70.

£55M. Release clause was £48M but because you secured him early, Sky Sports reported you paid an additional premium of £7M.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
If there were journalists with any balls, and journalists that's not to busy licking Klopp's balls, they should point out his Pogba comments in relation to the VVD price.

Kapardin

Has this season finished? So how can you say we are stagnant?
Yes, it has not finished, which is why you haven't improved either. You are still behind us and you are still trophyless.

Heck, top 4 is a minimum for Klopp. 2nd, 3rd, 4th are all the same this season as City will be miles ahead of us all. Win the FA Cup atleast before claiming improvement.