Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

DdeGoat

Talking about what he will win with Liverpool obviously.
That wasn't obvious. And actually not what you meant.

.....but I am not sure he has the mentality like Jose to win the big prizes.
What big trophies has Jose won with us for you to take make the comparison? Obviously you meant it over the course of their careers.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I’m convinced that United fans would be happier with Klopp than with Jose.

His style of play suits United more.

Gazza

Jurgen Klopp just said "What the feck" live on NBC

Didn't even apologize, just laughed it off "I thought it was allowed in America" ohh Jurgen... Media darling I'm sure won't face any further action (not that I think he should, but if it had been Jose...)

Giggs86

I want to congratulate him on that set of new shiny teeth he got. Impressive. They can actually zoom in on his face during interviews now.

automaticflare

This game is perfect for Klopp, as he gets exactly the opponent he wants: a team with an uncompromising attack. I'm not surprised at all to see Liverpool win this game.

Liverpool wont win the league until they learn how to consistently trash low and mid-table teams that don't give them space to attack.
Correct. I 100% agree with you.

Under fergie we proved it that you win the league by consistently beating the bottom teams.
The big games look after themselves and you always win or lose your fair share.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
After Salah, Robertson could be the signing of the summer.

Jurgen Klopp just said "What the feck" live on NBC

Didn't even apologize, just laughed it off "I thought it was allowed in America" ohh Jurgen... Media darling I'm sure won't face any further action (not that I think he should, but if it had been Jose...)
:lol: are you really complaining about this?

Kapardin

That wasn't obvious. And actually not what you meant.
What else would I have meant? You think I don't know Klopp's history? He's fairly well known, you know - a wiki search is enough.

What big trophies has Jose won with us for you to take make the comparison? Obviously you meant it over the course of their careers.
"Big prizes" was just a generic name for trophies and not just big trophies. Klopp bottled the two trophies Jose won, and I am quite confident Jose will win a league title before Klopp.

Giggs86

Why is he acting like Joe Pesci from Goodfellas in that interview? Fecking funny guy.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I just don't get what you're trying to say. You always need a good goalkeeper to win a title. Getting one is fundamental for them.
I'm saying more protection puts them in title contending territory, even with their current keeper and defense (including Virgil of course).

Foxbatt

I hope Conte saw Klopp running up and down the touchline and thought that may it is not me Jose was talking about?

DdeGoat

What else would I have meant? You think I don't know Klopp's history? He's fairly well known, you know - a wiki search is enough.

"Big prizes" was just a generic name for trophies and not just big trophies. Klopp bottled the two trophies Jose won, and I am quite confident Jose will win a league title before Klopp.
You have should done the wiki search then.

Definition of "Big prizes" :lol:. Don't improvise now. It's not a big deal.

automaticflare

I just don't get what you're trying to say. You always need a good goalkeeper to win a title. Getting one is fundamental for them.

I think he means their average players don’t play to this level consistently especially against lower teams.
They are average for a reason, but every now and then average player can have a worldie of a game. Like wijnaldum today. He was everywhere and played quality. He could go to pot next week against Swansea though. They raise their game against big teams. Happens all the time.

Harder for an average player to put in the same performance when they are part of the big team and others raise their games against them. Handling that week in week out is what separates the really really top players from the rest. Roy Keane is the one that spring to my mind every time I think of it.
As he said in his book he was never the very best at any particular skill but he would always be able to raise his game to the same level if he was playing in fa cup third round against burton or champions league semi final.

It is that character that makes the truly elite players.

Ban

As good as they were in attack they still nearly lost the victory. Lovren was great again.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Absolutely, but you could say that for every team in the PL, apart from those coached by Pep and Pochettino.
Winning titles or not, he is still a great manager.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
He was managing a team that's battling and fighting for Champions League against a team that thinks the league is already over. Mentality won the day.

Greck

Attack wise. Yes. But we've always valued a great defense at United and I'm not sure Klopp emphasises it well enough

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Dortmund under Klopp was far from bad at defending. His system exposes defenders more though (pretty much like any attacking based style) than how Jose sets up his teams which leads to his defenders being more prone to brainfarts than normal but apart from their last season, where they mainly struggled with converting their chances, they have always been a quite solid team. I think their main problem is - apart from their below par quality at the back - that they are missing a defensive midfielder like Bender used to be under Klopp. They got their libero/sweeper in VVD who should be very similar to Hummels, Keita who is similar to Dortmund Gündogan, a fluid front three just like in Dortmund (missing a big technical striker and hard-working who can hold up the ball though, but it is obviously working for them with Firmino) and some pretty average but hard-working fullbacks.

It's highly unlikely he'll win the league within the next 2-3 years though, not because he is a bad manager, but just that money, prestige and overall quality-wise, Chelsea/United/City will always have a big head start no matter what.

Reactions: Varun

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
This game is perfect for Klopp, as he gets exactly the opponent he wants: a team with an uncompromising attack. I'm not surprised at all to see Liverpool win this game.

Liverpool wont win the league until they learn how to consistently trash low and mid-table teams that don't give them space to attack.
In the 16 games we've played against sides currently outside of the top 6, we've won 11, drawn 5, & lost none. United, after the same number of games, have dropped 11 points to our 10. So if you equate the 38 points we've gained over a full season, we'd hit the 90 point mark. You, unfortunately, are way off the mark with your assertion.

Ban

In the 16 games we've played against sides currently outside of the top 6, we've won 11, drawn 5, & lost none. United, after the same number of games, have dropped 11 points to our 10. So if you equate the 38 points we've gained over a full season, we'd hit the 90 point mark. You, unfortunately, are way off the mark with your assertion.
He's of the mark and you're talking about equating 38 points over a full season?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Cmon guys; if you take this period where Liverpool are on a run and extrapolate it forever; next year is their year!

Let's just ignore Liverpool having a chronic problem of losing a lead (hence why they have drawn so many games, and have lost the most points from winning positions in the whole league).

Some pool fans clearly have cognitive dissonance. One moment they will slag off their defenders and keeper; the next moment they will talk about how they are good team all over the pitch.

All of this is after a game where they were 4-1 up with 10 minutes to go and were on the verge of a textbook Liverpool collapse at the end of the game.

Ban

Are those new teeth his own?

Also he thinks people could be looking back on the game in 20 years as "historic".

IronCroos37

Admit always wanted Klopp and his type of football at United. With a bigger budget who knows what klopp would have done, and we for certain would have had a better defence + De Gea.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Admit always wanted Klopp and his type of football at United. With a bigger budget who knows what klopp would have done, and we for certain would have had a better defence + De Gea.
Klopp is part of the reason Liverpool's defence is poor.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
He's of the mark and you're talking about equating 38 points over a full season?
Are you saying he's correct then ? 38 points gained from a possible 48 against the so-called lesser sides isn't that good ? I equated those points over a full season to make a point, & that point being he's way off the mark by saying we struggle when up against the sides outside the top 6. Last season he'd be correct. This season he's wrong.

Simples.

Ban

Are you saying he's correct then ? 38 points gained from a possible 48 against the so-called lesser sides isn't that good ? I equated those points over a full season to make a point, & that point being he's way off the mark by saying we struggle when up against the sides outside the top 6. Last season he'd be correct. This season he's wrong.

Simples.
Season isnt over yet. That's what I'm saying.

Kapardin

He's actually getting a decent budget at Liverpool. Mane, Salah, Keita and VVD didn't come for peanuts.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
NBC staff apologizing for Klopp’s “Fruity language”...:lol:
Can’t blame Klopp for thinking that it’s ok to say that in the US, especially with the week that’s been.

Dir Wangem

Simples.
38 points is probably 3-4 points better than I expected, to be honest. Fair enough, you haven't done terrible(but not terribly well either).

Still, if you assume that you keep the same form up for the rest of the season, then you get 76 points from the teams outside the top 6. In the last 5 seasons, the average points for the champion is 87.2 points. Which means that you most likely need to squeeze at least 11-12 points from the games vs the other teams in the top 6. This isn't terribly difficult, but it's definitely no walkover either. It's essentially 4 wins, as a bare minimum.

Turn 2-3 of those 10(!) draws vs the low/mid-table teams into wins, and you make things so much easier for yourselves. You can essentially flop against the top teams and still win.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Question for this thread. Why do we constantly look like throwing games away from strong positions?

We were 4-1 up today and City weren’t really threatening, then with a few minutes left we were at 4-3 and looking like we were going to bottle it. We were 3-0 up against Seville and threw that away, and went from 2-0 up to 3-2 down within minutes against Arsenal (we’d looked in complete control up to the point where we went 2-0 up). I he Europa League final was a game we were comfortable in at HT then we fell apart. We were 4-1 up at Arsenal last season and almost threw that away, and went from 3-1 up to 4-3 down at Bournemouth in about 15 minutes.

Is this Klopp’s style of play, or the lack of quality at CB/in goal, tiredness or a combination of factors that causes this?

It just seems like we switch off sometimes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You switch off because you don't have the mental strength of a great team. Basically, you don't know how to react when things either aren't going your way, or you just don't have to keep trying to win the game. The ability to play in the moment. You don't have a team of world class players so when you switch off all of their limitations come to the fore. And you haven't learned to slow things down and control games without trying hard to score

It's a similar deal for a lot of teams similar to you right now. Napoli last season for example. Your defenders and midfielders are very very average or below average at passive defending, and your keepers have so many mistakes in them, so you your collapses are more spectacular than say, Napoli's.

It's a learning curve. Better players will help too, but i don't think you'll have this problem next season