Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
We had a rock solid defense to boast. Just because they play some one-touch football doesn't mean they play exactly like us in the 90s.
They have the same bombast going forward. But to reiterate, not the same level of players. United had more to offer. But in terms of fluidity and open play, it's the same.

NK86

They have the same bombast going forward. But to reiterate, not the same level of players. United had more to offer. But in terms of fluidity and open play, it's the same.
If anything they are like Arsenal of 4-5 years ago.

beep

Video or it didn’t happen

Ehhh, it did happen. Watch MOTD. The prelude to a Liverpool attack, in which Young seems to be all at sea and for the first time that day, not marking up. The lads are tussling and Salah slaps back at him. Because Young is not a baby, he carries on. Most players, for example Firmino, would still be rolling around in 'pain'.

Moonred

The twat’s not very good at adapting or changing things. If his hallowed primary plan doesn’t work, he is fecked.

Neither is he very good at negating opponents by tactical switches. A simpleton in the end.

tomaldinho1

The twat’s not very good at adapting or changing things. If his hallowed primary plan doesn’t work, he is fecked.

Neither is he very good at negating opponents by tactical switches. A simpleton in the end.
Ironically I think his whole style of football came about as an adaptation because of BM's dominance. Klopp's 'Anti Bayern Munich System'.

It worked great for him in the Bundesliga but he doesn't seem to grasp the PL isn't a monopoly league. He's been here a while now and spent some serious money. Sums LPool up that they beat the unbeatable City, I bet Klopp put weeks of prep into that game, and then lost to Swansea in their next game.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, my question is that if MUFC play a lot of long balls and park the bus.
And I assume Klopp is clever enough to notice this trend.
Why did he not develop a tactic from the outset, so that if we did play root-one football, his players would be ready to counter it?

It's almost as if this is the first Klopp has played Jose and was shocked that Jose used a direct tactic in the 1st half and then shut the game down in the 2nd half.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So, my question is that if MUFC play a lot of long balls and park the bus.
And I assume Klopp is clever enough to notice this trend.
Why did he not develop a tactic from the outset, so that if we did play root-one football, his players would be ready to counter it?

It's almost as if this is the first Klopp has played Jose and was shocked that Jose used a direct tactic in the 1st half and then shut the game down in the 2nd half.
It's what separates him from the best managers. He's very good at drilling his sides to play a certain way, but does not see the game from different dimensions.

A massive difference between Guardiola and Klopp, is that Guardiola adapted his system to close out games. PG noticed that his teams were susceptible if they carried on playing the same way, so he developed a tactic to keep the ball aimlessly when they are ahead to kill time. Bayern and now City have a different shape when they close out games, almost as if they are on the training ground in a circle, passing the ball for as long as possible.

Klopp teams will destroy you if you try to play through them, because he is arguably the best manager in the world at implementing pressing tactics. Every team that has beaten them this season has played a low block and played long balls to the forwards.

RedCurry

You must not have watched Swansea since Monk became manager. Play some dire stuff.
Fair enough. But point being that your tactics and style of play are only as good as the the players you have. Liverpool playing Chamberlain, Milner and Can in the midfield with Lovren and ATT in their back four aren’t going to get anywhere near the quality of Man Utd from the 90’s. The manager has to adapt his tactics according to players at his disposal as well as the quality of the opposition. Playing expansive football is great in theory but you have to have 11 players out there who can execute it.

montpelier

I'd have tried Lovren up front I think, lumped in a few crosses. Persuade Utd to push out a tiny bit, to open some space behind.

Also by doing this, you'd have had the bonus of him not playing in central defence.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
If anything they are like Arsenal of 4-5 years ago.
Maybe the Arsenal that blitzed 3 goals past us in 20 minutes about 3 years ago. I do not recall Arsenal ever playing such direct football.

Purely attacking sense.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I was a bit surprised by how little impact Klopp had on the game in the last 20 minutes, I expect more from a top manager. Liverpool haven't really helped themselves in terms of a plan b because of their squad choices

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Ehhh, it did happen. Watch MOTD. The prelude to a Liverpool attack, in which Young seems to be all at sea and for the first time that day, not marking up. The lads are tussling and Salah slaps back at him. Because Young is not a baby, he carries on. Most players, for example Firmino, would still be rolling around in 'pain'.
Is this the same Ashley Young notorious for diving?

arthurka

The problem with how Klopp sets up his teams is that the long ball or direct approach will always work as most of the defense plays a high line and will end up 1v1 when that tactic is used against them.. That is one of the reason his time ran out at Dortmund as teams saw this and used it to great effect at the later stages .. A defensive unit playing high press and man marking will need to win every duel for it to work, that will sadly never work even if the buy 4 more VVD and a new keeper... Jose knew this and used it brilliantly. .

SirAF

Ageist
Is this the same Ashley Young notorious for diving?
He stamped that out of his game ages ago. Sometimes you get thick fans with a long memory though - like the booing from the CP fans which will compound that image.

Red00012

He hadn’t much on the bench to do anything , solanke , gigi, lallana harsly put the frighteners on Utd. I reckon if they lost Salah to injury during the season they wouldn’t have been challenging for 2nd on Saturday.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
He stamped that out of his game ages ago. Sometimes you get thick fans with a long memory though - like the booing from the CP fans which will compound that image.
Well he plays LB now instead of on the wing so he has less opportunity for diving. Mud sticks he was diving all the time at one point, he only has himself to blame.

Giethewill

Supports
Liverpool
If Klopp said that then he's a an idiot for that. He knew how United would play pre-match, so it doesn't make sense. United executed their game plan to a tee, so I have to commend JM for beating us. We didn't get one or two of the ref decisions, but that's how sometimes it goes. We have to focus on the next game and stop these insane excuses about long balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDevil@84

So what was Klopp expecting? We'll play the same way in every match, regardless of opposition.
If we play a lot of long balls (which I dont think we do) and do it effectively (which I don't think we do), then the onus is on him to find a solution to it. He didn't and lost.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
So I had a look at our record against the top six vs our record against the rest of the league. Seems like some of the top six have figured us out, whilst the rest of the league has fallen behind.

It certainly goes against the theory that we still struggle against the weaker sides.

Vs teams outside of the top six:

Played: 22
Won: 15
Drew: 6
Lost: 1

Scored: 57
Conceded: 14

Vs top 6

Played: 9
Won: 2
Drew: 4
Lost: 3

Scored: 16
Conceded: 20

United_We_Stand

You can read the full interview here
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/88b6zp/jurgen_klopp_exclusive_interview_on_his_faith/

“Being a Christian gives me a few rules. Being a Protestant is nice, it leaves a few doors open. It’s obviously not that dogmatic.” “’What if God sees you doing that?’” “I would say, ‘Ah, he won’t worry about that, he’s too busy’. It [faith] gives me a lot of things. I was always interested in people my whole life. I am not nosy, I am interested in people. I am a good listener and I really like to hear people tell me their story.”.....

"If such a fantastic country and a strong partner like Great Britain want to try to go the way alone I don’t see the benefit. I can’t see it. I am maybe not the best-informed person [but Brexit] was like countryside against cities, was a little bit young against old and that is not how democracy should work. If you have to make a decision for the whole country then find a solution for the whole country and not for old people in the countryside. That’s all. But I am happy I live here and I deliver that message constantly to all my friends. I tell them, ‘I don’t know all English people but those I meet are fantastic’.”

:lol:
He's spot on! It's old people in the countrysides of Yorkshire, Lancashire, East Midlands, Wales, PA, FL, WI and MI who determine election results!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Speaking as a relatively young person (turned 21 earlier this month) it's not ridiculous, we're all idiots. Semi serious

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Typical Hipster!

Simplify a complex situation without a second thought. First. If he believes in democracy then why blame the countryside. Ever heard about one vote....

With age comes experience and wisdom, doesn’t that count in his world? Honestly! Crazy statement.

I have a lot of respect for Jürgen Klopp but judging from this politics isn’t his strongest area.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Typical Hipster!

Simplify a complex situation without a second thought. First. If he believes in democracy then why blame the countryside. Ever heard about one vote....

With age comes experience and wisdom, doesn’t that count in his world? Honestly! Crazy statement.

I have a lot of respect for Jürgen Klopp but judging from this politics isn’t his strongest area.
The problem with democracy is idiots and stubbornness. With age comes the latter and there are enough of the former around in general.