Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Flexdegea

I think Liverpool can overturn Barcelona yet,

Anfield is a tough ground, Liverpool are a good team.

When Barca played us at OT they were nothing special. An early goal for Liverpool would change everything.

If we can comeback to beat PSG, Liverpool can come back from 3 nil.

Dont write them off yet, lets hope they dont do it, but if any team is masters of come backs in Europe its them.

Obviously a reverse jinx............masters of the comeback :lol:

Hulksmash

The playing style of him is incredible, always attacking. High class Manager. That's how football should be played

He may not win trophies but it's due to Pep getting freaking 98 points and Messi and Ronaldo playing. He reached the final last year.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
The playing style of him is incredible, always attacking. High class Manager. That's how football should be played

He may not win trophies but it's due to Pep getting freaking 98 points and Messi and Ronaldo playing. He reached the final last year.
Exactly. Two trophies that matter up for grabs each season.

We have won neither but we are a hell of a lot closer than where we were when he took the job. We will keep improving and who knows, we might still see a trophy this season.

Paul_Scholes18

Klopp is a fraud! Not as good as Ole. We played better against barca with a weaker attack. Can only win against poor sides!

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think Liverpool can overturn Barcelona yet,

Anfield is a tough ground, Liverpool are a good team.

When Barca played us at OT they were nothing special. An early goal for Liverpool would change everything.

If we can comeback to beat PSG, Liverpool can come back from 3 nil.

Dont write them off yet, lets hope they dont do it, but if any team is masters of come backs in Europe its them.
Difference between Barca at OT and Barca at Anfield is that one home team will be much more gung ho than the other. Liverpool can't afford to just surrender possession and hit on the counter like we tried to do. Especially needing 4 goals minimum to win.

shaky

City and Liverpool are scoring so many points because the league has been weak for a long time. Leicester won it recently. A very unmemorable Chelsea team won it with 93 points. Then an awful Utd side managed to take 2nd spot the year after that. Despite the fact that half of the top 6 have been below average for years, the gap to the "best of the rest" is larger than ever, which again is an indication that the overall standards in the league are falling. Liverpool are going to finish 2nd in a 2 horse race and the point tallies of them and City are more a reflection of the poor opposition than anything else.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Don't understand the harsh criticism he's taking. Liverpool actually made a very good game against one of the best clubs on the whole planet.
That first and third goals were near to impossible to defend, unless the defender could perfectly anticipate the whole play and Alisson would stand in the far post.

Needham

I'd swap Mourinho's two lower tier throphies to be as good as Liverpool are.

Klopp is a bellend, but he's done an amazing job and I look forward to Ole doing the same.

I'll still laugh if they win nothing, but where Mourinho left United compared to what Klopp is doing with Liverpool is damning for the malcontent Portuguese.
Agree with your first sentence. This Liverpool team is respected throughout world football right now, and with reason. Nice to keep the trophy count ticking along with the FA, league and Europa cups, but we find ourselves at least 2 years behind any serious challenge to the other European giants.
But let me ask you about the second sentence. Why do you think he's a bellend?

oggy boy

I don't get today's media. Liverpool played good in parts of yesterday match, Barca didn't play that good, but scored 3 legitimate goals.

Why media and some fans are trying to diminish the victory and effort of Barcelona by claiming that Liverpool played brilliantly, really could not have done more
and somehow, only by the Foot of God, read Messi, they won.

When United or City lose match, media dissect every wrong move they made.
Just admit, Liverpool played good game, but nowhere near enough, they must improve a lot if they want to win these kind of games.

Barca also has to improve and not rely solely on moments of individual brilliance.
It was a good game like many others, I didn't anything so special or unusual from before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untd55

Don't understand why Klopp would be criticised. Liverpool were clearly the better team in this game - not his fault that his players' finishing was complete crap and their final ball was not great. The 3 v 0 was a massively flattering result for Barcelona.

I think they need to play like they did last season to get through this round. If they can reach the aggressive levels of last year, they are capable of doing to Barcelona what they did to Man City.

oggy boy

Not true for any team. Although, I must admit that this season his style is less counter-attacking than from the last season.

He is now both pragmatic in approach and wants more ball possession.

However, they must learn to control the whole match, and make more clear cut chances.

AshRK

One thing I he does very well is, manipulate the media by saying the right things or things that would sit well with his fans. Like saying" Hey look we did not kick messi" "Hey look we earned respect even after losing 3-0". You would never have seen or heard sir alex making such comments. I see some of our fans saying he would have been a great choice for us and yes we might have been in a better state with him but trust me he would have been eaten alive after such comments as there is more scrutiny here than managing Liverpool or Dortmund. This is why I feel he is at a perfect club where their fans will buy anything he says and the media won't be scrutinizing him a lot.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
His bum-rush tactics - from a defensive standpoint - only seem to work when he floods the midfield with workhorses which, obviously, negates their attacking threat going forward. He’s going to have to throw the shackles off on Tuesday, which in turn will expose his defence to all sorts of trouble.

Messi and co. lacerated them in the transition when Liverpool were set up to be defensively sound first and foremost (three centre-backs and four central-midfielders in the starting XI) - what on earth will they do against a Liverpool side with specific instructions not to prioritise defence this time?

It could real ugly, real quick.

Josh 76

Difference between Barca at OT and Barca at Anfield is that one home team will be much more gung ho than the other. Liverpool can't afford to just surrender possession and hit on the counter like we tried to do. Especially needing 4 goals minimum to win.
Good point. Fans who try to compare teams playing in other matches and circumstances are so silly.
Just can't see Barca not scoring in the second leg against a team that will come out and not be able to sit 10 men behind the ball.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Whilst it'll be incredibly funny that if he didn't won the PL even after getting 97 points but still doesn't change the fact that he's a world class who's done an excellent job throughout the season.
Not. Failure is harsh. City man for man still has stronger players and again is going toe to toe with a far more technical players like barcelona midfield and playing it like an equal. What manager has a right to win trophies facing this opposition? There will be lots of failures otherwise. PSG had spent how much money and did they even get to the semi final yet? They had even lost the French cup recently. He had still put up an excellent season all concerned
How is he a failure. This is getting ridivulous.

City have spent more so he can't be a failure then.

He has done extrememly well and I'm sure Pool fans would love him there. Funny enough it's only outsiders calling him a failure when the scousers love him. Funny that.

He has done a fantastic job as far as I'm concerned. It's getting to the point now that if all the other top teams don't win a trophy then they are failures. They are improving year on year which is something I can't say about us. I really couldn't GAF about the FA cup and Europa LEague we won bar us getting into the cl. Watching us has been dire.
How are we to measure success and failure if not by the accumulation of trophies?

I do not doubt Klopp's ability as a football manager, I'm merely posing the questing as to whether he has been a success or a failure as manager of Liverpool. There is no grey area here, not for a huge club such as Liverpool who pride themselves on their vast historical achievements, it's either one or the other. In the modern game, your hopes and expectations are measured against your transfer market expenditure, and Klopp has spent a fortune building this Liverpool side.

If he was to leave Liverpool this summer, his 'achievements' would be forgotten within a decade and he would be considered a failure. Like it or not, history remembers winners, not losers, and Klopp has won absolutely nothing (yet). The likes of Paisley, Shankly and Dalglish are remembered only because they were hugely successful, not because they played exciting football and smiled a lot on camera.

Red00012

How is he a failure. This is getting ridivulous.

City have spent more so he can't be a failure then.

He has done extrememly well and I'm sure Pool fans would love him there. Funny enough it's only outsiders calling him a failure when the scousers love him. Funny that.

He has done a fantastic job as far as I'm concerned. It's getting to the point now that if all the other top teams don't win a trophy then they are failures. They are improving year on year which is something I can't say about us. I really couldn't GAF about the FA cup and Europa LEague we won bar us getting into the cl. Watching us has been dire.
I’m thinking his post was tongue in cheek otherwise his understanding of football isn’t great.

I’ve myself thrown in that 4 years no trophy dig at my mates that support them when they wind me up but knowing full well I’d rather be in their position at the moment. (Not that I will be telling them that.)

If reaching a champs league final and a semi final the year after where they suffered only their second defeat of the year is failure on top of been on course to get 97 points in a PL season what is the word for what’s going on at Utd. I’d gladly take that “failure” for the next 2 years.

It’s a bit like us saying to the scousers we both lost 3-0 at the Nou Camp we’re not that far apart when in all honesty we were played off the park and Liverpool were arguably the better side.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly. Two trophies that matter up for grabs each season.

We have won neither but we are a hell of a lot closer than where we were when he took the job. We will keep improving and who knows, we might still see a trophy this season.
Why will you "keep improving"?
Who says this isn't the peak?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Very good boss doing a very good job.

However zero trophies to show for it is stunning. Alongside his track record in cup finals.

Unfortunately - it will happen eventually. They will win something of note.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
For those talking about zero trophies (and yes that situation can't continue) name one manager in world football that would get us 90+ points and to the final and semi final of the biggest cup competition in a row?

Pep? No chance, not with our budget as big as it is. It's still far too small for him.

LvG and Mourinho joint management since they've won more cups in the last five years than we've had hot dinners? Not sure we can pry either of them away from the Man Utd jo...

Valverde? Zidane? Emery? Poch?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
For those talking about zero trophies (and yes that situation can't continue) name one manager in world football that would get us 90+ points and to the final and semi final of the biggest cup competition in a row?

Pep? No chance, not with our budget as big as it is. It's still far too small for him.

LvG and Mourinho joint management since they've won more cups in the last five years than we've had hot dinners? Not sure we can pry either of them away from the Man Utd jo...

Valverde? Zidane? Emery? Poch?
Yes. Valverde. Since you named him. Two consecutive Liga titles (first one won with 0 defeats, until a final defeat vs Levante in the last away match), including a Liga+Copa double + probably a UCL title in the second year, part of a Treble. All that in two years.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yes. Valverde. Since you named him. Two consecutive Liga titles (first one won with 0 defeats, until a final defeat vs Levante in the last away match), including a Liga+Copa double + probably a UCL title in the second year, part of a Treble. All that in two years.
Fair assumption. Though you do realise domestic cup and league titles is meaningless in Spain when you switch from being a two club country (Madrid with Ronaldo) to a one club country (Madrid without Ronaldo). I have already named your best ever ex-manager (Pep) not being able to do the job. Is Valverde better than him now?

Valverde at Liverpool without Messi? I mean really?

Buchan

Fair assumption. Though you do realise domestic cup and league titles is meaningless in Spain when you switch from being a two club country (Madrid with Ronaldo) to a one club country (Madrid without Ronaldo). I have already named your best ever ex-manager (Pep) not being able to do the job. Is Valverde better than him now?

Valverde at Liverpool without Messi? I mean really?
LOLsies.

How generous of you. :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
For those talking about zero trophies (and yes that situation can't continue) name one manager in world football that would get us 90+ points and to the final and semi-final of the biggest cup competition in a row?
60 points, 90 points, 110 points, what difference does it make if you finish second?

You're scraping the barrel of desperation if the best you can come up with is a CL final where you were left embarrassed by a vastly superior outfit and then reaching the semi-final of the same competition the following year.

You are celebrating mediocrity.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
60 points, 90 points, 110 points, what difference does it make if you finish second?

You're scraping the barrel of desperation if the best you can come up with is a CL final where you were left embarrassed by a vastly superior outfit and then reaching the semi-final of the same competition the following year.

You are celebrating mediocrity.
Finishing on 97 points isn't mediocrity. Neither is reaching the latter stages of the CL two seasons in a row.

It's not the pinnacle of sporting achievement obviously because we haven't won anything, but it's definitely not mediocrity either.

Buchan

And I gave my reason.
I can’t believe I have to champion Guardiola, of all people, but here we are: Guardiola would absolutely have Liverpool where Klopp has them with 3.5 years’ work under his belt. Of that I have zero doubt. Guardiola is the best coach in the world and has far more strings to his bow tactically than Klopp, who has yet to concoct any semblance of a plan B when things go awry. Klopp’s in-game management is rather average, too, lest we forget, an issue Liverpool fans have raised for years. It’s simply preposterous to suggest Guardiola couldn’t do as good a job as Klopp as because City have spent more money than Liverpool (not by a lot, mind) whilst he’s been manager.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Finishing on 97 points isn't mediocrity. Neither is reaching the latter stages of the CL two seasons in a row.

It's not the pinnacle of sporting achievement obviously because we haven't won anything, but it's definitely not mediocrity either.
a) 97 points? Currently 91.
b) What's the point of reaching a UCL final just to get embarrassed and a semi-final just to get thrashed 3-0, similar to Foreman vs Ali? Oh yes, 4-0 at Anfield, I know, I know...

You lot fail to see that 2000-2009 was a lot better for Liverpool than the '10s.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

It's not an achievement in any sense of the word.

Accumulating 97 points over the course of a single season is pretty good, but it amounts to the grand total of nothing if it fails to win the league.

Liverpool turning over a 3-0 deficit and winning the CL in the process was an achievement.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
b) What's the point of reaching a UCL final just to get embarrassed and a semi-final just to get thrashed 3-0, similar to Foreman vs Ali? Oh yes, 4-0 at Anfield, I know, I know...

You lot fail to see that 2000-2009 was a lot better for Liverpool than the '10s.
Exactly.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

I'm bravely assuming we'll beat Newcastle and Wolves (but still lose out to City who'll win their last two any way).

Why would any team bother with anything if they assume they're going to fail in the end? I'd rather Liverpool lost a CL final than go out in the group stages. It gives me more enjoyment/excitement as a supporter to see us playing in the latter stages against the best.

No one's suggesting Liverpool were more successful in the last decade than they were in the previous one. I'm saying that being in the conversation for the big trophies doesn't represent mediocrity.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
It's not an achievement in any sense of the word.

Accumulating 97 points over the course of a single season is pretty good, but it amounts to the grand total of nothing if it fails to win the league.

Liverpool turning over a 3-0 deficit and winning the CL in the process was an achievement.
Right so we're agreed that accumulating 90+ points in a PL season isn't mediocre?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

What's the point of United participating in the Premier League next season since you have no chance to win it anyway?

I also see you've actively contacted a mod to delete your embarrasing "supports:" section by the way, good on you.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Right so we're agreed that accumulating 90+ points in a PL season isn't mediocre?
You're missing the point, mate.

You will completely forget reaching 97 points in a year or two, but you will never (ever) forget that last 30 minutes in Istanbul will you?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
You're missing the point, mate.

You will completely forget reaching 97 points in a year or two, but you will never (ever) forget that last 30 minutes in Istanbul will you?
Actually I hardly remember that game at all. :lol:

I was in a state of delirium from about 54 minutes in.

I get your point but I don't think it's fair to call our season mediocre. It's disappointing but we've done well to bridge the gap to this City side. They were just better than us in the end (assuming Rodgers doesn't Rodger them).