Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Wonder what side Klopp will put out for the FA Cup tie against Everton ? Hope he takes it a bit more seriously than he did last year. Losing at home to inferior opposition is unacceptable. Losing at home to Everton by not fielding your strongest team would be unforgivable.

montpelier

I didn't think anything of the Salah push, tbh. Just a 'coming together' as they say... bit of benefit to the attacking player, fair enough.

If Calvert-Lewin just collects the ball & turns inside rather than *falling over* - you're not seriously expecting Lovren to get a FK are you?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I didn't think anything of the Salah push, tbh. Just a 'coming together' as they say... bit of benefit to the attacking player, fair enough.

If Calvert-Lewin just collects the ball & turns inside rather than *falling over* - you're not seriously expecting Lovren to get a FK are you?
Why would Lovren get a free kick?

Robbie Boy

Yeah nah, it was a peno. Also, Lingard done something similar to what Salah do (his push on Otamendi) and a free was given, so really, Salah was lucky that a free wasn't given against him.

McGrathsipan

because of this idea that Calvert-Lewin has fouled him I keep reading about

and if we are comparing the 2 incidents - Salah push & the pen

(just a silly open question I was asking)
Ok - Nah I think Lovren was in the wrong and if the ref was consistent in his giving free kicks for pushing then Salah is penalised and Liverpool lose 0-1 :lol:

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Liverpool had enough in the tank to be honest. Had mane passed it on it would have been easily game over for everton.

When you loose ( draw against everton is just like a loss) you try to find reason. Klopp last year went all out attack and missed the bus due to injuries, this time he is playing it safe.
I mentioned the Mane thing in another post. He passes and it's 2 - 0 and game over. Two goals just before half time would finish most teams never mind Everton.

McGrathsipan

I mentioned the Mane thing in another post. He passes and it's 2 - 0 and game over. Two goals just before half time would finish most teams never mind Everton.
Yeah agreed. I was even thinking what the FOOK was he at.
3 lads there for a tap in....Delighted he fluffed it too

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The attacker ran into Lovren, not the other way round. He then milked the collision for all its worth. All Lovren did was put his hands on him and he went down. It's not a penalty. Or it shouldn't be. Everyone saying it is just contributes to the diving mentality we have in the game.
The attacked didn't run into Lovren at all. He collected a pass and shielded the ball from the defender chasing him down as he tried to fashion a chance on goal. Lovren just ran into the back of him, with both hands on his back. It's a foul every day of the week, and as it was in the box, resulted in a penalty.

Players shield the ball of the time, and the correct way to defend that is to get tight without putting your hands on their back. It's not diving when the person behind you charges into you.

Diving is simulating when there's no contact, or contact so minor that it wouldn't even knock you off balance. Calvert-Lewin took the ball forward, then slowed down to shield it and change direction, presumably to turn and see if there was someone he could lay it off to. Lovren didn't slow at all, and instead ran into him at full speed with both hands on him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It was a soft pen but Lovren was dumb for forcing the ref to make a decision.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yea that was pretty odd by Mané as he isn't that selfish generally speaking.

Hughes35

Never a penalty IMO. Funny though :)

Couldn't believe Klopps interview. That crazy laugh he does half way through is purposefully provocative. The kind of thing somebody does in a pub when looking for a fight.

AXVnee7

Thought he was very nasty to the interviewer. It's nothing exclusive to him though and all the top managers have had their moments. Just pointing out that Klopp is no different.

With regards to the penalty I think it was harsh on Lovren, but by no means an outrageous call. There's a clear shoving motion by Lovren. The Everton player obviously bought the penalty, but Lovren has no business taking such risks in his own penalty box especially as he attacker wasn't even directing himself towards the goal.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
What exactly is a soft penalty?

Either it's a penalty, or it isn't, and Lovren ran straight into the back of Calvert-Lewin with both hands on him, causing him to lose balance and subsequently lose a chance at shooting. It was a penalty, and a pretty clear one. All Lovren had to do was show him out wide, which is the direction the ball was going, but he fecked it.

This angle shows it best. CL initiates contact by running into/jockeying Lovren, then falls over. Ref has bought it completely, although from his angle it would have looked a lot worse.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

This angle shows it best. CL initiates contact by running into/jockeying Lovren, then falls over. Ref has bought it completely, although from his angle it would have looked a lot worse.
The angle “shows it best” because it doesn’t show his arms.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

True from this angle it´s blatantly obvious that Lovren did absolutely nothing wrong. It´s actually an offensive foul and a dive, if anything. So apologies to Lovren. Can´t even say he was careless or clumsy.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
The angle “shows it best” because it doesn’t show his arms.
In that case, I implore you to find some footage that shows Lovren pushing CL. You won't be able to find any because there is none. There was a coming together but no push.

Lovren can be infuriating but he has not really done anything wrong here, for me.

Pace Abuser

In that case, I implore you to find some footage that shows Lovren pushing CL. You won't be able to find any because there is none. There was a coming together but no push.

Lovren can be infuriating but he has not really done anything wrong here, for me.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Sky showed it several times. He pushed him and at full speed, there's more than enough of a shove to warrant a pen.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Sky showed it several times. He pushed him and at full speed, there's more than enough of a shove to warrant a pen.
Show em here for comparison then. Not all of us watch sky.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If it's not a peno then perhaps it's a dive which is questionable, especially in comparison what Morata did against WHU.

Remember when Lovren was telling stories how Lukaku stomp on his face ? Wonder how he would portray this one.

GeorgieBoy

From that angle it doesn't look a pen. Can't embed media here just yet; but there is a side on view of a push from Lovren on him which makes it look a pen. Different angles paint different pictures. Probably one of those where you're annoyed if it goes against you; but expect to be given if its on your player.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Klopp was ridiculous yesterday.

I was wondering. If he randomly decided to quit in the summer, how would his two and a half years at Liverpool be viewed? Lots of good attackers signed but no trophies, no serious title challenge (unlike Rodgers) and no top class centre halfs or keeper signed so his successor would have the same issues with the team e.g. giving away cheap goals that cost points.

Have to say I've been disappointed with him since he's been in England. Questionable tactics at times but he can tell a good joke and presents this lovable uncle sort of image so he certainly gets a far easier ride from the press than many of his predecessors did or indeed many of the other managers around him in the league title did.

Maybe you could level some of that at Pochettino but Spurs when he took over had the mentality of just being happy to finish in 6th place. Liverpool should've won the league 18 months before Klopp turned up.

Poch has improved his club more than Klopp has.

coventry red

Supports
Liverpool
If he signs a couple of CBs better than what he's got (which let's face it won't be difficult) then they'll be very strong next season even with Coutinho going.
Keita looks like he'll be a massive addition.
The worrying thing is that they're excellent going forward and have obvious areas where improvement can be made in defence and midfield.
I think he's got the basis of a very good,young squad that will only improve.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

6:30 - 7:00 two angles from behind that look like a penalty. Either it was a penalty of Calvert Lewin did a really convincing dive.

arthurka

Thought it was a penalty myself. Lovren was an idiot giving the ref a decision to make.

Mane’s selfishness before HT pissed me off more though.
This for me... Mané was a total idiot there.. The game would be done and dusted if he could have picked one of the 5 players available.. Not that Lovren did them any favours..

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If he signs a couple of CBs better than what he's got (which let's face it won't be difficult) then they'll be very strong next season even with Coutinho going.
Keita looks like he'll be a massive addition.
The worrying thing is that they're excellent going forward and have obvious areas where improvement can be made in defence and midfield.
I think he's got the basis of a very good,young squad that will only improve.
Why haven't that signed one already? There's plenty better around than Lovren, Klavan and Matip.

If you can spend 50m on Oxlade-Chamberlain, you have the budget to get in a good CB and keeper.

Danny Roberts

It's 100% a penalty. Calvert-Lewin does everything right. Gets across his man, Lovren takes him down. Hands on the back. Small push but at full speed enough to throw DCL off balance and how anyone can argue it's not a pen is beyond me.

Regards the Salah goal, he actually hands Martina off. These never, ever get given but personally I don't see how using your hands to push a defender isn't a free kick. I appreciate approximately nobody will agree with that.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp was ridiculous yesterday.

I was wondering. If he randomly decided to quit in the summer, how would his two and a half years at Liverpool be viewed? Lots of good attackers signed but no trophies, no serious title challenge (unlike Rodgers) and no top class centre halfs or keeper signed so his successor would have the same issues with the team e.g. giving away cheap goals that cost points.

Have to say I've been disappointed with him since he's been in England. Questionable tactics at times but he can tell a good joke and presents this lovable uncle sort of image so he certainly gets a far easier ride from the press than many of his predecessors did or indeed many of the other managers around him in the league title did.

Maybe you could level some of that at Pochettino but Spurs when he took over had the mentality of just being happy to finish in 6th place. Liverpool should've won the league 18 months before Klopp turned up.

Poch has improved his club more than Klopp has.
Anyone that has actually followed Liverpool closely over the last decade knows that Klopp has improved us more than any of Benitez' predecessors (edit: should say successors). The 2014 season was an anomaly and was followed up by regression to the completely average standard that we've consistently been at since 2009.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So he should. Liverpool didn't appoint him just to finish 4th/5th.

Is he the man to end the title drought? I very much doubt it. The points Liverpool regularly drop from stupid defensive play from their keeper and centre halfs surely indicate that.

Kevinb5555

What really gets me about klopp is the way he speaks to refs. After the everton game, he went on the pitch to shout a load at the ref if that was SAF or Jose they would be up in front of the FA but its just funny when klopp does it and it goes unpunishedd

Danny Roberts

Just watched the interview. To be fair to Klopp, I think he answers the question about the changes very well, very fairly and ends the interview well. Piss funny though before that.