Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This is why many hyped Dortmund players failed elsewhere. He did exactly the same there with the likes of Großkreutz*, Kagawa, Götze, Sahin, Piszcek, Bender, Schmelzer, etc.

*He was not even good enough for the 2nd german league. Under Klopp he became a german NT player and world champion. Now he is playing in the 3rd league.

He really makes players punching above their weights. This is the best thing a manager can do in my opinion.
Harsh to put Gotze, Bender and Kagawa in with the rest. But completely agree with Grosscheutz, was going to say the same myself :D

Giggs86

As a united fan im jealous of liverpools manager for the 1st time ever. Going toe to toe with Bayern with dortmund and making a close Cl final and replicating that with liverpool having their highest ever point tally and making 2 cl finals in a row and probably winning this one.

His lack of trophies can be held against him but he takes tough jobs. Guardiola is a genius manager but he waltzes into the best squads and gets a blank chequebook.

I more admire Klopps ability to make average clubs main contenders.
Spot on.

I would love to see Pep take on a team like Dortmund or Liverpool (the one that Klopp inherited) but we will never see that simply because he is a coward. Great philosophy and all but winning domestic trophies with the best teams in every league he goes to is nowhere near the stuff Klopp is producing.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Spot on.

I would love to see Pep take on a team like Dortmund or Liverpool (the one that Klopp inherited) but we will never see that simply because he is a coward. Great philosophy and all but winning domestic trophies with the best teams in every league he goes to is nowhere near the stuff Klopp is producing.
:lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Spot on.

Me too. If you want a luxury manager to build the best team in the world provided with unlimited funds and the greatest players. Pep is definitely the guy. If you want the transform underdogs into beasts then it's Klopp.

If I had to choose between Pep or Klopp atm for United, I would choose Klopp because he improves players and relishes the challange of waking sleeping giants to Glory. If we were providing unlimited funds and had the best players in the world lined up, I would choose Pep.

Mcking

Spot on.

That's a bit shit really. He manages the top teams because he is the best manager out there. Why would he go to Lyon when he could easily walk into the Bayern job?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You want to know Klopp's secret?

He has plan.
The players fit the plan, the tactics, the team.
He buys players which are very specific in their skillset and how they work within in the plan.
He believes in coaching first, not dipping into the market unless necessary. He always talks about this in press conferences.

The expensive players were a necessity, but he did give Mignolet and Karius a chance to get better before buying Alisson.

Klopp and Liverpool should be a great case study for any manager on implementing a plan.
Were you seriously expecting anyone to read what you've said after choosing that painful blend of different fonts and font sizes? Disgusting.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Harsh to put Gotze, Bender and Kagawa in with the rest. But completely agree with Grosscheutz, was going to say the same myself :D
Götze is hard to judge. It could be the same case as it is with Großkreutz (on a different level) or about his sickness. I don't know. But Kagawa was never the same player again after he moved to United. He was a world class before.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Spot on.

Wait, what?

OutlawGER

Supports
Spot on.

You got a point, no question about that. But still there is not much you can take away from Pep's class. He needs top quality players for his ambitions, but his ambition is not from this planet. His consistency (in the league) is incredible. Look how far he has taken City. Maybe the best/most consistent side in PL-history. But somehow he fails to perform on the biggest stage in knockout games, as proven with Bayern and now City. Even with Barca he could or should have done more in Europe. His approach is probably too one dimensional.

However i personally also rate managers higher which can have huge success with lesser sides. And i don't define success only by trophies. For example: To bring a 3rd division team into the first league in just 2 years, and getting into top 4 or even top 7 right away (without money beeing the reason) would be more impressive for me than winning the champions league with Barca, Real, Bayern, etc.

Getting into the UCL final with Dortmund in an exciting way, even if losing it against one of the best teams in history of this game, is more impressive to me than winning the champions league with one of the obvious favorites. Repeating this kind of success with a different team now deserves nothing less than beeing called the best manager in the world in my opinion.

Most respect goes out to Otto Rehakles. I will never forget how i witnessed him bringing Kaiserslautern from the 2nd Bundesliga into the 1st Bundesliga and winning the Bundesliga in the next season right away. A miracle, even more impressive than what Leicester did few years ago. But to top that, the very same manager just made another massive miracle happen: He won the EURO's with fecking Greece in 2004. There is not much what can top this. 2 massive miracles by 1 manager. Even winning the UCL 10 times in a row with Real Madrid can't top something like that for me.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
I just take your posting out of several others, so do not take it personal.

But it is the kind of posting that makes me wonder if people are actually looking soccer or just visiting forums. Have you seen the match in Barcelona? The 0:3 happened due to Messi, not due to Barcelona being the overall much, much stronger team. If you take both games into account, Liverpool deserved beating Barcelona, even by a large margin. Without Messi and a bit of luck for Liverpool, this would have been brutal.

And it is not Klopps first great season in his life. Klopp took Mainz, a weak Bundesliga team and sent them to Europe and when he joined BVB, the team was 13th in the Bundesliga and he created a top contender in Europe. We in Dortmund are still reaping the benefits of his amazing time.

I am watching soccer for 40 years now and Klopp is the single best manager I have ever seen. He is like the Midas of coaches, because everything he touches changes to gold.

Yes, I can understand how you hate the guy, because he is real and passionate and people hate real and passionate people and love fake guys who smile for everything. But this guy loves soccer, he would never ever join a plastic club, he chose Liverpool and Dortmund, because they are big clubs with a huge and old tradition.

The only thing you could criticise is that he often loses in finals, but this criticism is ridiculous, because his teams were always by far the underdog. And when you bring a club from the 2nd league into a cup final, chances are that they will lose vs a first league team.
Yeah, that is exactly the absurd hyperbole I was talking about. We are speaking about a guy who has not won anything of note since 2012. Hell, if Suarez, Messi or Alba had taken one of their huge chances yesterday - or if Liverpool loses the final which I doubt unfortunately - he would still have won feck all with Liverpool. I won´t deny that he is absolutely overachieving this season, but Rodgers also had them playing very well for that one season without breaking the records for the most expensive goalkeeper and defender.

With writing this I don´t want to downplay the job he is doing at Liverpool because I think he is doing quite good and really established them as a big club again, but it is really laughable how people come out and compare him to Sir Alex, Guardiola, Jose or other all-time managerial greats because of the one fantastic season Liverpool is having at the moment.

And no, just to make that clear, I don´t hate him because of "passion", I hate him because he always pretends to be a nice and funny guy, but when he loses he goes absolutely mental, behaves like a clown and comes up with the most ridiculous excuses, just to get away with it because people call it passion.

Giggs86

That's a bit shit really. He manages the top teams because he is the best manager out there. Why would he go to Lyon when he could easily walk into the Bayern job?
A challenge? Do you think that Bayern wouldn't have won the Bundesliga and City wouldn't have won the PL without him? His challenge perhaps was to take them to European glory, in which he failed.

If he would really wanted to challenge himself he'd go to teams like Arsenal or Spurs, not Bayern or City. What are the odds of his next move being Juve to take them to Seria A glory?

Kaglish10

This is why many hyped Dortmund players failed elsewhere. He did exactly the same there with the likes of Großkreutz*, Kagawa, Götze, Sahin, Piszcek, Bender, Schmelzer, etc.

*He was not even good enough for the 2nd german league. Under Klopp he became a german NT player and world champion. Now he is playing in the 3rd league.

He really makes players punching above their weights. This is the best thing a manager can do in my opinion.
Injury ruined Sahin. Kagawa was one unlucky guy who mostly got shunted to the wing while he was here. Moyes didn't fancy a small player like him but then went on to sign a similar player in Mata because he was a popular name and shunted Kagawa to the wing in the process. I still think he played well with Mata when he got consistent playing time in the last few matches around March and April under Moyes. He was even nominated as one of the players of the month in the said months.

Van Gaal came in and wanted to mould him into a central midfielder. I don't know if it would have worked out. He actually looked fantastic in the central midfield role against Madrid in our pre season matches and looked the same against Mk Don before he got injured, after which the whole team turned into shit and got spanked and that annoyed Van Gaal and made him to sell all the players that were involved in the said match. Although Kagawa had already wanted to leave due to his lack of playing time. He went back to a poor Dortmund's side and despite Dortmund's weak team, he looked good in a 3-man midfield under Tuchel and was also Bosz's favourite however the new coach came in and already had his favourite players before Kagawa returned from his worldcup rest (he was fantastic at the world cup too) hence he had to leave.

Gotze got his development stalled at Bayern. At such age, his game hadn't developed enough to keep staying on the bench for years at Bayern. Injuries also ruined him.

The likes of Bender, Piszcek were more or less defensive hustlers who worked hard on the pitch but offered nothing more.. Gosskreutz was touted not good enough even for Dortmund then and was more of a utility player who played different roles under Klopp.

Last edited:

Mcking

Coaching any team is a challenge. He is winning plenty of trophies and setting records. Just like the best players get to play for the best teams, Guardiola manages top clubs because he is arguably the best manager out there. Do you think Ronaldo should have joined Spurs or Arsenal instead of Juventus?

OutlawGER

Supports
And lost them all bar one.

So a manager which takes the likes of Southampton, Fulham or whoever into multiple UCL finals, to lose them, would be a failure too, right? Better go win the UCL with Real Madrid etc. Di Matteo is probably one of the best managers in the world btw, United should sign him next.

Obviously Liverpool and Dortmund are not Fulham etc.but still he took those teams to much higher levels. I would love if my team has the opportunity to lose big finals. Most United fans would prefer that probably too these days.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So a manager which takes the likes of Southampton, Fulham or whoever into multiple UCL finals, to lose them, would be a failure too, right? Better go win the UCL with Real Madrid etc. Di Matteo is probably one of the best managers in the world btw, United should sign him next.

Obviously Liverpool and Dortmund are not Fulham etc.but still he took those teams to much higher levels. I would love if my team has the opportunity to lose big finals. Most United fans would prefer that probably too these days.
Moot point considering Southampton and Fulham have never and will never reach multiple European finals.

Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in Europe, reflected by their transfer market expenditure under Klopp, comparing them to those above is ridiculous.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Coaching any team is a challenge. He is winning plenty of trophies and setting records. Just like the best players get to play for the best teams, Guardiola manages top clubs because he is arguably the best manager out there. Do you think Ronaldo should have joined Spurs or Arsenal instead of Juventus?
We've been asking the wrong question all along. It's not, "can Messi do it at Stoke on a cwwtn*?". It's, "can Messi do it with Stoke on a cwwtn*?"!

*cold wet windy Thursday night

Lyricist

Moot point considering Southampton and Fulham have never and will never reach multiple European finals.

Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in Europe, reflected by their transfer market expenditure under Klopp, comparing them to those above is ridiculous.
At the time Klopp took over Dortmund, they were on Southampton/Fulham level.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
At the time Klopp took over Dortmund, they were on Southampton/Fulham level.
Dortmund is one of the biggest football clubs in Germany, with multiple domestic and European trophies to their name. Southampton aren't even the biggest club on the southern coast of England. They have one FA Cup to their name.

At no point in the history of football has Dortmund been on the same level as Southampton.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Dortmund is one of the biggest football clubs in Germany, with multiple domestic and European trophies to their name. Southampton aren't even the biggest club on the southern coast of England. They have one FA Cup to their name.

At no point in the history of football has Dortmund been on the same level as Southampton.
He's not wrong. They used to be an European giant, yeah, but at that time they truly were Fulham level. Only the lower tier BL players or 2nd division were attainable for them, they were close to relegation and even had much less money compared to any English club. It's as if Hamburg would suddenly start smashing Madrid and going to the CL final in 4 years. Completely unimaginable and a ridiculous thought back then.

Lyricist

Lets say he'd take over one of the current Eintracht Frankfurt, Mönchengladbach, Hamburg, Feyenoord, PSV, Monaco or Steaua teams and get them first to a league title, then a domestic double (both ahead of Bayern), and a CL runner's up. Would that be a great job or failure?

All of these are also comfortably bigger clubs historically than Southhampton, but are absolutely unlikely to feature in a CL final within the next years. Exactly that was the case for Dortmund as well. Only that that Dortmund side from back then was criminally bad and would've probably lost to all the current teams I just mentioned aside of probably Monaco, and Hamburg.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
People talk about the strength of Liverpool's pressing but this season there have been more than a few games where we have been out pressed but still won or drawn. I think Klopp has realized that with a decent defence that the midfield didn't have to run around like nutters and instead we look to play a lot of direct balls instead of trying to press and pass teams to death. This conserves a lot of energy in the long term and is probably why we look so fit at the end of the season where other teams look gassed.

Also, VVD is key, we used to spend a lot of time trying to wrestle the ball from the opposition deep in our half and now VVD just steps forward and deals with things with the minimum of fuss which again means we have more energy to attack and more energy season wise.

Even if we lose the CL - Liverpool fans will back their boss to pick himself up and go one better the next season, to me that is what makes him a world class manager. Other managers have won far more than Klopp but Klopp rarely lets disappointment get the better of him. I expect another serious league challenge next year.

OutlawGER

Supports
97 pts and only second. :lol:

The ridiculous thing is, people will say Klopp is a failure because he didn't win the title. But Pep's City is the most consistent side in PL-history, and Klopp's Pool is just 1 freakin point behind.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Dortmund were debt laden midtable side that was briefly flirting with relegation battle the season before Klopp was appointed. Others also had a hand in it but his tenure there is the difference between being possibly another Hamburg/Stuttgart and the second biggest Club in Germany.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
How long until he has enough? Hopefully a 14-15 like capitulation next year please.

He's a brilliant manager, and in any other era Liverpool would have won the league. City are just an unbelievable team.