Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Kaos

On one hand you'd be giddy with the hope that they'd face a similar collapse to us post-Fergie after he's gone. But then you remember that they're no where near as dialogically run as we have been.

Either way it's good news. Easily their best manager in 40 years. Pep ideally leaving too (hopefully soon if any of those 115 charges aren't waved away by brown envelopes) makes the league very interesting.

Sadly I still think we're a fair bit away from being able to capitalise.

ErikElevenHag

Is time for Berrada to show us what he can do. Time to get Klopp in.
Despite the terrible season for us, if we can snatch COO from City and Manager from Pool, that would be an amazing feat to give us some comfort.
it's a little early to be smoking crack.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The reason might be more interesting. Likely he just wants a break or is ready for a change, but might be Liverpool have told him they've no cash or even that they're in the shit with FFP. One of the latter would be nice.

lex talionis

One of the best though my ass.

1 UCL & 1 PL in 9yrs

He’s great but he ain’t one of the best.
Factually true, but don’t forget the context of the criminal enterprise known as Manchester City that stood in the way of Liverpool winning more trophies during Klopp’s tenure.

Brilliant manager worthy of our respect, but those teeth are bizarre.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If it was a health thing, he would have stepped down immediately.
Yeah that's a fair point.

Makes you wonder though doesn't it. Wanting to spend time with your family more is obviously completely normal but to announce it now just seems off. Unless he's just considering the implications so Liverpool can prepare and get someone in.

We only get to see the announcement rather than the process leading up to it.

Pep had time off after Barca cause he felt it was so intense and we know as much as he's a wanker, Klopp is a very intense bloke so it probably does take it out of him a lot.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I honestly think he needs a year off. Clearly at times he looked unwell and exhausted. I would tend to believe his reasoning

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
It also coincides with Manchester City being at the top of their game...
Being financially doped, you mean.

To run that lot so close several times with the amount of money they have is an insane achievement.

The only real blip for Klopp at Liverpool has been losing the previous CL final IMO. Otherwise he has been immense.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Klopp leaving Pool and City relegated….what an excellent 12 months we could have
Theres a fecking clear path to a league title right there and I swear to god if we dont take it....

Remember the geese

Will be interesting viewing if we are both appointing a new manager in the summer. The comparisons in terms of trajectories will be obvious. They are at a big advantage of course, seeing as they have been set up for success for years now. We are living in hope that Sir Jim can sort us out. Really hope they don't get Alonso.

Kaos

I'd like to be happy about this, but Alonso will walk straight in the door. If Klopp had stuck around longer, we could have got Alonso before them.
I think we're kidding ourselves if we ever considered Alonso a realistic prospect tbh. An ex Liverpool player who still seems very fond of the club. He'll only ever be interested in them or Madrid tbh, it's absolute fantasy to even suggest he'd be our coach.

Would be abit like Ruud van Nistelrooy managing Liverpool. It just doesn't make sense.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I wake up to this? Wtf. I reckon the man is tired for the moment. Pep Lijnders or Alonso next I would think.

Varun

Staff
1 PL and 1 CL but scouse infested media and their fans will hail him as a PL legend soon enough.

Oranges038

Can't stand the man but I hope he's alright and it's not a health thing.

Having no energy for it seems like the kinder way of breaking some godawful news perhaps.

It's good news for us of course but you don't wish ill on anyone.
It won't end them. But they would be nowhere near as well drilled or as dominant. Pep leaves, several players as well with Walker, KDB & Silva near the end too. Then you have that squad, which suits how he wants to play now. But it has no proper fullbacks left in it, or out and out wingers. Is there another coach out there who plays without recognised full backs and wingers the same way as Pep has been?

They will definitely have a difficult period once he's gone.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
told you all before

World cup 2026

Portugal Manager - Jose
Spain - Pep
Germany - Klopp

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Liverpool fans must be feeling pretty fed up at the news, but at least they'll always have the fond memories of all the title he won for them.

brian017

I honestly don’t get why you would announce this now, wait until May. It could become one hell of a distraction for them

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Why is he leaving? Contract is until 2026?

Expect all stops to be pulled out for Liverpool title this year then..?

Spark

I wake up to this? Wtf. I reckon the man is tired for the moment. Pep Lijnders or Alonso next I would think.
He's favourite. Annoying too, because he looks a proper decent manager in his short time in Germany.

Hopefully total shite if he goes to your lot, naturally. (He won't be).

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It also coincides with Manchester City being at the top of their game...
Factually true, but don’t forget the context of the criminal enterprise known as Manchester City that stood in the way of Liverpool winning more trophies during Klopp’s tenure.

Brilliant manager whether of our respect, but those teeth are bizarre.
True but there has been a few instances where the team has fallen at the last hurdle, where really he should have won.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He has been particularly spiky this season in terms of his responses to journalists. I wondered if there was something else going on and this probably confirms it...the mental toll of the work has probably been impacting not just work but him as a person and it sounds like the right decision for him.

GlasgowCeltic

Shame for him cause I don’t think he’ll find a job that fits him better, them losing Klopp and Salah in one summer will be devastating. I dont think Alonso leaves Leverkusen without sampling CL football but I guess Liverpool will force the issue

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There's a good chance they win the league and it would be a high to go out on. He's managed his career quite well and he'll be the most sought after coach out there.

Does he fancy managing England?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I honestly think he needs a year off. Clearly at times he looked unwell and exhausted. I would tend to believe his reasoning
Think as fans we forget how pressurised these big jobs are, also forget they are human and have to cope with stuff in their personal lives on top of it all.

90 + 5min

Did very good at Liverpool and can win a lot this season.

But there are lack of trophies. That is the fact.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Weird isn’t it? United players dropped off completely when Sir Alex announced he was retiring before changing his mind and City were literally going for the quad before announcing Pellegrinis departure who ended up skimming fourth by the skin of their teeth
Bayern won the treble 2013 after announcing Heynckes was going to leave at a similar time. In that case the players gave everything to give him a proper sendoff into (what was assumed to be) retirement. I guess that Liverpool team will be more close to Bayern than City in that regard.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
I would imagine that Xabi and De Zerbi are likely candidates, can't really think of anyone else.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Clearly learnt nothing from Fergie who announced his retirement in the winter and the team lost all motivation and collapsed.