La Liga - 2014/15

Cait Sith

That Neymar, Suarez, Messi frontline is so deadly, especially in fast transitions. The header chance Neymar wasted was such a beautiful counterattacking move. Still lacking that one dominant midfield general though.
This one:

NoPace

Messi was fantastic and Suarez looked dangerous whenever Atletico pushed up. As much as people bemoan them becoming a sort of broken team, it might help them in the CL knockouts. If they can get the first goal they could be lethal countering when teams come at them.

Atletico were disappointing. They basically only tried to pass and move in the wide areas. In hindsight, maybe 4-1-4-1 would have worked better, though they would have been even deeper. Going forward, the logical way for them to get a bit better at controlling play is playing Koke centrally as they do when they're trying to get back into games (like today).

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Well, he looked angry today and up for a fight. 12 dribbles in a single match, that's ridiculous. Somehow it felt his body language was a lot more aggressive. Iniesta too played a very decent game after a long time.
Fire in the belly.

I wonder if Barca leaked all these stories to fire him up again.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not sure why he'd need to get fired up though. He's having a great season. If anything, it's the supporting cast that needing firing up, and to be fair, the likes of rakitic really peformed yesterday, finally.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Some very unlikely statistics. Barca won the aerials duels 14 - 11. That's just so unusual, Pique did great on set pieces. Just counted Atletico have scored 19 goals in league through headers.

Skorenzy

Credit to Lucho where it is due; Barça's home form is not significantly different from the previous two (post-Guardiola) seasons and he got the home games v PSG and Atléti spot on. They've looked broken and top-heavy, especially in the away games where they often struggle to impose any meaningful measure of domination. Last night looked for the first time like what Lucho's Barça could be at its best. The biggest worry is still the burden of chance creation almost solely on the FW line (specifically Messi, but lately also Suárez); when they have space to work with they will be devastating, as seen yesterday, but v deep 9-man defenses it's increasingly difficult to replicate that same level of threat when the MF isn't capable of creating for them.

The criticism of Lucho's rotation in se is unwarranted (as similar happened under Tata Martino, and let's not even mention Guardiola's penchant for experimentation in the biggest games), but his team selection has at various points baffled (most significantly of course the game at the Anoeta). I think the biggest issue with Lucho is that he doesn't exude confidence in a way a Guardiola or Mourinho, or even the likes of Simeone and Klopp, do. Couple that with his authoritarian/disciplinarian stance and his shying away from interaction/communication with his players (e.g. the extended holiday fiasco) and you get an easy target when it all goes wrong. Let's leave it at this: he's doing a great job results-wise, however performance-wise there are a lot of signs that it's a very fragile construct (borne out by the recent full-blown "crisis").

While I don't think he's a tactical genius -- the shift in chance creation responsibilities may have strengthened them defensively (debatable), but it's significantly weakened them offensively in away games --, he's clearly not clueless (stubborn might be a better word) as evidenced by the dismantling of Atléti. The average position diagrams clearly show the width provided by Neymar and Messi, which is the most logical weapon to use against this very narrow and compact Atléti side. By keeping the pitch big and wide they found the spaces they were so lacking last season v them. On that note, an observation: Atléti have clearly suffered from the loss of Felipe Luís at LB, as Cristiano, regularly taking up (unusual) spaces on the RW tore them (and Siquiera in particular, winning the pen for their only goal off him and setting up some great chances) apart in the 1st half of their league encounter, and now Messi had Gámez at his mercy and was the instigator/creator of all three of his side's goals + that sitter Neymar missed.

Neymar and Suárez were lively and constant threats, Piqué was a rock (apart from one silly moment v Arda) and props to Rakitic who was excellent too, especially his role in Messi's goal was very impressive. Messi would be my MOTM though; he indeed had a fire in his eyes that we'd seen intermittently this season, but had lost some of its glare lately, and he was everywhere, orchestrating their attacks so well.

Tata Martino had started to take Barça into a more direct and vertical approach last season, which translated into one of their (if not thé) best ever 1st halves to a league season, but very abruptly (and under pressure?) returned to the more measured, possession-oriented style of his predecessors which is where it all fell apart for them in the 2nd half. I don't think Lucho will part from his principles like that (it probably helps that it falls somewhere in between Tito's "tiki-taka" hallmark and Tata's verticality), so will be interesting to see whether or not Barça can build on this and improve as they go -- the most important concern for them now will be retaining any form of consistency in the level of their performances (esp. away from home!).

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Nice summary, and yeah from someone who has criticised Luis Enrique a lot recently I have to say he deserves a lot of credit for last night's performance. Think that was the best they'd played in a while, the first half especially.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Forgot to say last night but Mascherano's interview was quality too, he properly nailed the press for their stories over the past week. If it was up to me I'd have made him captain, he's a real leader now.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
what did he say?
It was along the same lines as what Messi said. He said that it's easy for the press to make things up by saying "a source has said", that they should be more reponsible and that every day the press are talking less about football and more about gossip.

Paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it.

DocRockter

Oh Bebe you haven't changed a bit.. There he goes and picks the ball from the last defender just outside the box in the left-hand side so what he does?? Well he doesn't take the ball closer to the net and place it in the corner but blasts it probably out of the bloody stadium. I need another goal for Cordoba to hit my bet.. He'll better make it up..

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Oh Bebe you haven't changed a bit.. There he goes and picks the ball from the last defender just outside the box in the left-hand side so what he does?? Well he doesn't take the ball closer to the net and place it in the corner but blasts it probably out of the bloody stadium. I need another goal for Cordoba to hit my bet.. He'll better make it up..
:lol:

Matchday 19 - 17 Jan

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Tonight (all times UK)
Córdoba v Eibar 19:45

Sat 17 Jan 2015 - Spanish La Liga
Real Sociedad v Rayo Vallecano 15:00
Valencia v Almería 17:00
Villarreal v Ath Bilbao 19:00
Espanyol v Celta de Vigo 21:00

Sun 18 Jan 2015 - Spanish La Liga
Getafe v Real Madrid 11:00
Atl Madrid v Granada CF 16:00
Deportivo de La Coruña v Barcelona 18:00
Elche v Levante 20:00
Sevilla v Málaga 20:00

No obvious standout game and the pressure will be on the top 3 to win their normally very winnable games. For Atletico and Barca there's the added complication of the Wednesday night Copa del Rey QF to think about. For Real Madrid, who've been sluggish since Christmas, avoiding another setback is important.

Sevilla/Malaga and Villareal/Athetic are potentially the most interesting games, at least on paper.

Incidentally this round of games takes us to the halfway point in La Liga's season. Eibar are currently 8th, with 26 points. That makes them the highest placed Basque team - ahead of Real Sociedad and Athletic - not a position anyone would have bet on at the start of the season.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Moyes boys losing 1-0 at home to Rayo Vallecano with a goal from Manucho from a corner :smirk:

prarek

The few times I've watched Valencia this season, he's been very impressive. Could be one to watch as he's only 19.
Valencia have a very young team. This season they've been averaging around 23-25 years in their starting line up(not including the keeper). Its a shame they sold Bernat before the season but tons of talented young players in the team still.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Villarreal go one up against Athletic Club. Cheryshev (on loan from Real Madrid) unsurprisingly involved again, scoring this time.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Getafe play Real Madrid at 11am if anyone is wanting some morning football...

Varane in for the injured Pepe, otherwise Ancelotti is back to picking his best 11 again.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Coming up in about half an hour:
Codina; Valera, Naldo, Velázquez, Roberto Lago; Alexis, Juan Rodríguez; Pedro León, Sammir, Hinestroza; Álvaro Vázquez
Vs
Casillas; Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo; Kroos, Isco, James; Bale, Cristiano y Benzema
(Pepe and Arbeloa are injured)

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Getafe vs Real Madrid just started for those fancying some early Sunday football.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Good to see Quique Sánchez Flores back in Spanish football by the way.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Cristiano Ronaldo still taking long range free kicks then. Straight into the wall.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Seems to be a real element of dysfunction amongst Real Madrid at the moment. No cohesion as a team at all, only individuality. Amazing what a few bad results can do.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Seems to be a real element of dysfunction amongst Real Madrid at the moment. No cohesion as a team at all, only individuality. Amazing what a few bad results can do.
Yeah was just thinking that. Seems like watching us :eek:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I reckon Ancelotti's refusal to rotate isn't helping either, a lot of those players have been playing too much.

ZDwyr

Just flicked this on and it's half time. Will watch the second half. How's it gone so far? Real dominating? Don't know a whole lot about Getafe.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Yep, hard to disagree with that @Bob Loblaw

They're not playing awfully by any means but that free flowing stuff of earlier this season has evaporated right now. Too many over ambitious balls, lack of movement and the full backs seem reluctant to overlap today, looking to come inwards only. All adds up to a frustrating half for them.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I know it's level, but Isco's great on the eye as always.

Combining with Rodriguez to find Benzema. Bale finding Rodriguez on the edge of the box.

Edit. 1-0 Ronaldo.

Last edited: