La Liga - 2014/15

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Arent madrid rich enough to bench him till he gets frustrated and someone else gets interested? They seem to have endless streams of funds always.
I dunno. I think there´s a bit of "politics" involved with him being spanish and having so many at the club. I think Florentino would probably want him to end his career in the club and have him in his board. It´s all speculation

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I dunno. I think there´s a bit of "politics" involved with him being spanish and having so many at the club. I think Florentino would probably want him to end his career in the club and have him in his board. It´s all speculation
To be fair, before the last two years he was on his way to legendary status for them.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He's blameless there. Ramos and Pepe struggled badly with the two goals and during the rest of the match.
He gets blame for that goal by the majority of the forum and spanish pundits. They do blame the center back as well though

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
To be fair, before the last two years he was on his way to legendary status for them.
Yep. Casillas has been in bad form since Mourinho days but the treatment he gets is appaling. I´m not his biggest fan but i would never call him ebola, wish he was dead, sold to Alcórcon and other insults and stuff i´ve read in the forum. He gave alot to the club and has been there since forever. Sometimes i think Ronaldo is unfairly treated by some United fans after all he has done for the club but he did ditch you guys for another club (like he understandably did to us). But Casillas has remained loyal and been there for more than a decade. He deserves more respect.

prarek

I understand Casillas criticism but he didn't do anything wrong yesterday. He had a good game.

cyberman

Watching Revista and they're making excuses for the diving and ref intimidation that goes in in every Clasico.
'There's so much more to be concerned about' etc, but the fact is that El Clasico may be the biggest club game on the planet, but it's also the game most people associate with these so called dark arts.
Guillem trying to have it both ways here..

amolbhatia50k

Yep. Casillas has been in bad form since Mourinho days but the treatment he gets is appaling. I´m not his biggest fan but i would never call him ebola, wish he was dead, sold to Alcórcon and other insults and stuff i´ve read in the forum. He gave alot to the club and has been there since forever. Sometimes i think Ronaldo is unfairly treated by some United fans after all he has done for the club but he did ditch you guys for another club (like he understandably did to us). But Casillas has remained loyal and been there for more than a decade. He deserves more respect.
:lol: sorry what?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
:lol: sorry what?
Where´s the laughing matter in that? There is a conclusion in that sentence. It´s a matter of opinion i suppose. Tbf my opinion doesn´t come from now, i´ve been reading red cafe since for a while and i had the same opinion when he was still playing at United.

amolbhatia50k

Where´s the laughing matter in that? There is a conclusion in that sentence. It´s a matter of opinion i suppose. Tbf my opinion doesn´t come from now, i´ve been reading red cafe since for a while now and i had the same opinion when he was still playing at United.
He's adored more by united than would seem logical.

Do you expect him to be loved like giggs, scholes etc.? Because for a guy that make comments about being a slave and who did ditch us for madrid, he's treated pretty brilliantly by our fans. More than he or anyone could reasonably want, really.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He's adored more by united than would seem logical.

Do you expect him to be loved like giggs, scholes etc.? Because for a guy that make comments about being a slave and who did ditch us for madrid, he's treated pretty brilliantly by our fans. More than he or anyone could reasonably want, really.
More than it seems logical? I´m not talking about the case of some here where Ronaldo>United but what´s wrong with liking him after the contribution he gave to the club´s history?
I don´t expect anything. Did you read the sentence, instead of implying what i meant? I said unfairly treated by some. Tbf they were the same that didn´t like him even when he was at the club (yong and lernin stuff etc). Of course he isn´t comparable to players like Giggs and Scholes they spent their entire careers at United. And i didn´t neglect the fact that he ditch United for Madrid, i mentioned it. Perhaps the fact that i support a "smaller" club and players leave us all the time, makes me have a less romantic view. But i´m usually grateful to former players unless they join rivals (the case with Simão joining Benfica and Quaresma joining Porto).

amolbhatia50k

More than it seems logical? I´m not talking about the case of some here where Ronaldo>United but what´s wrong with liking him after the contribution he gave to the club´s history?
I don´t expect anything. Did you read the sentence, instead of implying what i meant? I said unfairly treated by some. Tbf they were the same that didn´t like him even when he was at the club (yong and lernin stuff etc). Of course he isn´t comparable to players like Giggs and Scholes they spent their entire careers at United. And i didn´t neglect the fact that he ditch United for Madrid, i mentioned it. Perhaps the fact that i support a "smaller" club and players leave us all the time, makes me have a less romantic view. But i´m usually grateful to former players unless they join rivals (the case with Simão joining Benfica and Quaresma joining Porto).
There's no mistreatment of Ronaldo from United fans. I think like me, the majority of the fan base enjoyed his time here greatly and have fond memories of him here and our success at the time. Due to him being a bit of a brat, there will always be those that disliked his antics. It's bound to happen. His gesturing and childish antics on the pitch was something I was oblivious too at the time as a fan but I can see why it annoyed some. Same with he slavery comments. Didn't care at the time but many disliked him for it and I can see why as well. BUT those would be FAR outweighed by the fanbois that go overboard the other way.

So all in all he's treated fanatatic by United fans and I bet he knows it too. We booed messi at the friendly at old Trafford recently ffs :lol:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
There's no mistreatment of Ronaldo from United fans. I think like me, the majority of the fan base enjoyed his time here greatly and have fond memories of him here and our success at the time. Due to him being a bit of a brat, there will always be those that disliked his antics. It's bound to happen. His gesturing and childish antics on the pitch was something I was oblivious too at the time as a fan but I can see why it annoyed some. Same with he slavery comments. Didn't care at the time but many disliked him for it and I can see why as well. BUT those would be FAR outweighed by the fanbois that go overboard the other way.

So all in all he's treated fanatatic by United fans and I bet he knows it too. We booed messi at the friendly at old Trafford recently ffs :lol:
I guess that´s fair. I should explained myself better though. I was talking forum wise and not general fans wise. And that´s alright. There are plenty of Sporting players that although played for my club, i don´t like (not many that played 6 seasons here though)

Regarding the Messi booing is it surprising? I mean with the Ronaldo vs Messi discussions being so polarizing and a match being played in a stadium where Ronaldo played for 6 years, it was bound to happen. I wouldn´t boo him but it doesn´t surprise me.

bishblaize

tbh Id say he's even more popular now than before he left, since most fans have forgotten the histrionics, the refusing to wander back onside and all that jazz. Indeed there can hardly be an ex-player who went to on to another big club who's as adored as Ronaldo is by United fans.

amolbhatia50k

Casillas is a Madrid legend. He achieved that status ages ago. He is in with a good shout of getting into an all-time Madrid 11.
Which is how I thought it would have been given the way he's peformed for so long. He's been saving that defence for aeons. All of which makes the attacks on him a bit sad.

Raul Madrid

Which is how I thought it would have been given the way he's peformed for so long. He's been saving that defence for aeons. All of which makes the attacks on him a bit sad.
True, but that's just how it is. They have short memories. It was the same with Raul, Guti, Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo and countless others. When these players do not perform to the level they are capable of they will get booed. It is a mixture of fans being spoilt and also knowing certain players can do better and give more than they are (Casillas refusing to admit that he has made mistakes in certain games like after the Atletico one has not helped with some fans either). Personally I think cheering, offering encouragement and getting behind players is more beneficial than booing but obviously a lot seem to disagree. That said, last season and the season before, when he was on the bench he got a lot of support from the fans and they cheered and chanted his name loudly after every save that he made in the CL games that he got to play last season despite Lopez doing well in his place. There was almost a campaign from the fans to get him playing over Lopez. So Casillas was given more patience and the benefit of the doubt for a longer period of time than most players would be afforded from Madrid fans whose patience generally runs thin very fast, but in the end I guess people are finding the mistakes (as well as some of his behaviour over the last few years) to be too much. He still does not deserve to be booed though and what fans are writing on forums is inexcusable.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Casillas is a Madrid legend. He achieved that status ages ago. He is in with a good shout of getting into an all-time Madrid 11.
Is this even a debate? Who's there to keep Casillas out of an all-time eleven? Zamora would be the only one I could think of, but despite his legend and importance in Real's first few league titles, surely Casillas longterm success gives him the edge (along with not being a Catalan who played for Barca before he moved to Real).

Raul Madrid

Is this even a debate? Who's there to keep Casillas out of an all-time eleven? Zamora would be the only one I could think of, but despite his legend and importance in Real's first few league titles, surely Casillas longterm success gives him the edge (along with not being a Catalan who played for Barca before he moved to Real).
Ignoring titles, there are a lot of people who rate Zamora higher in terms of ability (he is considered by many to be the best Spanish goalkeeper ever) so that is where the debate would come from. It would depend if you are making the eleven based on contribution to the club or ability. Generally people make it based on contribution but some do it based mostly on ability. One of the reasons I said Casillas is "in with a good shout" rather than say he is definitely in the 11 is because I do not like disregarding players from the past and favouring players from the present, despite me seeing far more of Casillas. IMO there is definitely a debate to be had in regards to Zamora as from what I have heard and read about him suggests that he at least deserved to be in the discussion for the goalkeeper spot in an all-time Madrid 11. That said, modern players are favoured mostly in these debates and there is much more footage available of Casillas so in the end he would be in most peoples eleven.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ignoring titles, there are a lot of people who rate Zamora higher in terms of ability (he is considered by many to be the best Spanish goalkeeper ever) so that is where the debate would come from. It would depend if you are making the eleven based on contribution to the club or ability. Generally people make it based on contribution but some do it based mostly on ability. The reason I said Casillas is "in with a good shout" rather than say he is definitely in the 11 is because I do not like disregarding players from the past and favouring players from the present, despite me seeing far more of Casillas. IMO there is definitely a debate to be had in regards to Zamora as from what I have heard and read about him suggests that he at least deserved to be in the discussion for the goalkeeper spot in an all-time Madrid 11. That said, modern players are favoured mostly in these debates and there is much more footage available of Casillas so in the end he would be in most peoples eleven.
Fair enough, agree with all of that.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
True, but that's just how it is. They have short memories. It was the same with Raul, Guti, Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo and countless others. When these players do not perform to the level they are capable of they will get booed. It is a mixture of fans being spoilt and also knowing certain players can do better and give more than they are (Casillas refusing to admit that he has made mistakes in certain games like after the Atletico one has not helped with some fans either). Personally I think cheering, offering encouragement and getting behind players is more beneficial than booing but obviously a lot seem to disagree. That said, last season and the season before, when he was on the bench he got a lot of support from the fans and they cheered and chanted his name loudly after every save that he made in the CL games that he got to play last season despite Lopez doing well in his place. There was almost a campaign from the fans to get him playing over Lopez. So Casillas was given more patience and the benefit of the doubt for a longer period of time than most players would be afforded from Madrid fans whose patience generally runs thin very fast, but in the end I guess people are finding the mistakes (as well as some of his behaviour over the last few years) to be too much. He still does not deserved to be booed though and what fans are writing on forums in inexcusable.

Ist always difficult to deal with former worldclass players who are declining. It really depends on the character and ambition of those players. Are they able to step back in the second row? Goalkeeper are a special case in itself. They don’t really have the option to be a squad player. Usually they perform on a reasonably high level till their mids 30s and end their career.

The problem with Iker is, that he peaked pre 30 and is declining for quite some time now. It’s eventually too early to call it a day and it’s almost impossible to find another club, that can offer him an attractive perspective. At the same time he is eventually not good enough anymore for Real Madrid.

It´s very hard for the manager to make this decision for him, especially when he doesn’t have the full backing of Florentino. Iker has/had so much influence and it could cause major disturbance to bench him against his will. We already saw that a couple of years ago.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Ist always difficult to deal with former worldclass players who are declining. It really depends on the character and ambition of those players. Are they able to step back in the second row? Goalkeeper are a special case in itself. They don’t really have the option to be a squad player. Usually they perform on a reasonably high level till their mids 30s and end their career.

The problem with Iker is, that he peaked pre 30 and is declining for quite some time now. It’s eventually too early to call it a day and it’s almost impossible to find another club, that can offer him an attractive perspective. At the same time he is eventually not good enough anymore for Real Madrid.

It´s very hard for the manager to make this decision for him, especially when he doesn’t have the full backing of Florentino. Iker has/had so much influence and it could cause major disturbance to bench him against his will. We already saw that a couple of years ago.
Isn't already in his mid 30s though? I am sure he was born 1980-82. I'm sure there'll be a team who need his services, Juventus probably once Buffon retires. Although then again, they probably have a star kid ready to replace him (or will buy within Serie A), there'll be some rich team or at least a higher reputation team that will go for him.

Matchday 29 - 4 Apr - Barca keep their 4 point lead

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga this weekend - incidentally there's a full mid-week Liga program as well.

With 28 matches played, here's the top of the table
Barcelona 68
Real Madrid 64
Valencia 60
Atletico 59
Sevilla 55
Villareal 49
Malaga 44

Friday
Eibar Rayo Vie- 20:45 (all times Spain - so that's UK 19:45)

Saturday
Málaga R. Sociedad Sab- 22:00
Sevilla Athletic Sab- 16:00
Córdoba Atlético Sab- 18:00
Almería Levante Sab- 20:00

Sunday
Celta Barcelona Dom- 21:00 (8pm)
Getafe Deportivo Dom- 19:00
R. Madrid Granada Dom- 12:00 (11am)
Valencia Villarreal Dom- 17:00

Monday
Espanyol Elche Lun- 20:00

Atletico have W0 D2 L1 and scored 0 goals in their last three aways. But they should be pretty secure against bottom placed Cordoba.

Messi missed Argentina's matches with a foot problem but is expected to be ready for Barcelona's trip to (mid-table) Celta.

Madrid should be safe, even without Pepe (injured, may be ready to return in time for the CL match with Atletico) against 18th place Granada. James is training again so may be ready make an appearance as sub soon.

The best looking matches of the weekend are probably Sevilla Vs Athletic and Valencia Vs Villareal. Good games for (transfer) window shoppers as well.

amolbhatia50k

If messi isn't fully fit I can see barcelona having a tough game.

The last two matches mentioned by @jojojo look the best of the bunch. Valencia have hugely impressed sme whenever I've seen them which is like 3 times. Good opportunity to watch a bit more of the league outside of the big 3.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Galicians are a definite banana peel, especially having lost to Celta Vigo at Camp Nou not so long ago. Alba is out as is Alves which means they're stretched thin at fullback...However Leo appears rebooted

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It could be nice if they could stay although the second half of season is being very poor.I would send Getafe and Levante to second division(nothing against them but the fan base is very small)I'd like to see Sporting and Zaragoza back

Raul Madrid

It could be nice if they could stay although the second half of season is being very poor.I would send Getafe and Levante to second division(nothing against them but the fan base is very small)I'd like to see Sporting and Zaragoza back
Same here. Their fans were absolutely incredible when they first came up in 08/09 and made lots of noise throughout the entire season both when the team was winning and losing. They were perhaps the best fans in La Liga for quite some while. I am sure David Villa would be very happy also as he is still a fan of them. I remember reading an interview with him before saying that he was watching and supporting them battling for promotion despite being busy with Spain during Euro 2008.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Same here. Their fans where absolutely incredible when they first came up in 08/09 and made lots of noise throughout the entire season both when the team was winning and losing. They were perhaps the best fans in La Liga for quite some while. I am sure David Villa would be very happy also as he is still a fan of them. I remember reading an interview with him before saying that he was watching and supporting them battling for promotion despite being busy with Spain during Euro 2008.
La Mareona is great,they move around 1500/2000 fans in games in the north of Spain,and that is a lot of people for la liga standards.
So let's hope that happen.This year they have a good chance.Second division is tight and interesting with Betis,Sporting,Las Palmas,Valladolid,all very close.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Yep, would love to see Sporting back aswell. Them or Real Oviedo, any team from Asturias is fine by me. :)

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Bilbao been hammered in that 1st half, only 2-0 but Sevilla had a boat load of chances - absolutely decimating that high Basque line. Adding insult to injury, Muniain stretchered off in tears with what is likely ligament damage to the knee

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Atletico won 2-0. Griezmann and Saul.

Now on Tuesday we'll see face-to-face one of the biggest gaps ever between two managers in terms of quality, top class experience, acchievements, charisma, personality oh and even smugness (and it's not the serial Argentine winner who is smug):

Simeone vs Moyes

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Starting in 30 minutes:
Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo; Kroos, Modric, James; Bale, Cristiano y Benzema.
Vs
Oier; Foulquier, Mainz, Babin, J. Carlos; F. Rico, Iturra; Robert Ibáñez, Candeias, Rochina y El Arabi.

James returns, Isco rested. Ancelotti says the two game a week schedule from now on needs rotations. Pepe's injured - hoping to return for the CL against Atletico in 10 days time.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
In yesterday's matches, Atletico won as expected without too much trouble.

Sevilla continued their good form by beating Athletic which puts extra pressure on Valencia to beat Villareal - those CL places aren't decided yet.

Real Sociedad came back from going a goal down in Malaga to get a 1-1 draw.

Levante got an important away win at Almeria to keep a bit of distance between themselves and the relegation strugglers - if Almeria had won that match they would have been level on points with Levante. As it is, Almeria remain in 19th place.

Eibar's awful run of results continued on Friday night with another home defeat. They've picked up 1 point from their last ten matches. There's still 5 points between them and 18th place Granada (who play Madrid today) but they don't have much time to sort it out.

Last edited: