La Liga - 2014/15

Skorenzy

3-0, Sandro, another Messi assist... decent ball from deep by Busquets as well.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
How many assists did Xavi get a few years back, 36 was it? Messi looks like he could match it...

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
How many assists did Xavi get a few years back, 36 was it? Messi looks like he could match it...
He got 30+ the same year he scored 73. Obscene number. Xavi got a truckload in 2008/09, not sure of the exact number though.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Pedro 4-0, been playing through the middle all game, i'd like to know what formation Barcelona are playing.

Skorenzy

Assists by strict definition

Xavi 2008/09 (Barça only): 54 apps, 10 goals, 28 assists
Messi 2011/12 (Barça only): 60 apps, 73 goals, 29 assists

Would have to look up Xavi's total (incl. NT), but for Messi that would take that season total up to 69 apps, 82 goals, 33 assists

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Dani Alves is such a frustrating player to watch. Used to be brilliant going forwards, now he gets the ball and hits it aimlessly into the penalty area.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah it was the 2008/09 season I was referring to for Xavi. Didn't actually realise Messi had that many assists in 2011/12 though. Cheers Skorenzy/TheShedEnd.

Skorenzy

Yeah it was the 2008/09 season I was referring to for Xavi. Didn't actually realise Messi had that many assists in 2011/12 though. Cheers Skorenzy/TheShedEnd.
Messi also had a shitload of assists in his more impressive 2010/11 season: 24 in 55 games for Barça, 6 in 11 games for Argentina, so another season with 30+ assists for club & country.

Skorenzy

Gerry Armstrong reckons the former Barça president did really well as a sub so far. :D

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Gerry Armstrong reckons the former Barça president did really well as a sub so far. :D
Haha I had to go back on Sky plus to make sure I heard that right, glad I'm not the only one who noticed :D

Nice chip by Messi.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Another amazing weekend of the competitive spanish league :rolleyes:

Skorenzy

Messi finally scores, weheyy
He needed that... can't believe how long he took before getting his shot off, like he lacked the confidence to take it first time. It's something I've tended to notice with him, where he traditionally needs confidence in his finishing... more than for example a Cristiano would -- but then I've never really seen Messi as a goalscorer first, which is what makes him so special.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
He needed that... can't believe how long he took before getting his shot off, like he lacked the confidence to take it first time. It's something I've tended to notice with him, where he traditionally needs confidence in his finishing... more than for example a Cristiano would -- but then I've never really seen Messi as a goalscorer first, which is what makes him so special.
Seemed normal enough to me, usually takes his time with those chips.

Ronaldo's finishing is ridiculous. Shots/goals ratio looks bad due to the silly distances and angles he takes them from, though when he's in front of goal he rarely misses. That's what makes him stand out for me as one of the greatest goalscorers.

Messi used to be the same, though he never seems to power them in, always places them. I've a feeling he'll improve with Suarez in the side, defences won't know who to mark.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Another amazing weekend of the competitive spanish league :rolleyes:
Might have been slightly better for Levante had the ref not sent off their player unfairly. Not sure if you're being serious. Athletic, a CL team, lost at home to Granada. The champions escaped with a draw at home against Celta. Levante and Deportivo are two of the poorest teams in the league and Levante haven't beaten Barcelona in 20 years I think or something there about. Plenty of competition. Barcelona have just been clinical so far this season.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Might have been slightly better for Levante had the ref not sent off their player unfairly. Not sure if you're being serious. Athletic, a CL team, lost at home to Granada. The champions escaped with a draw at home against Celta. Levante and Deportivo are two of the poorest teams in the league and Levante haven't beaten Barcelona in 20 years I think or something there about. Plenty of competition. Barcelona have just been clinical so far this season.
It wasn´t serious. Real Madrid lost against Real Sociedad about two weeks ago as well. I just wanted a more competitive match but the sending off killed the game.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It wasn´t serious. Real Madrid lost against Real Sociedad about two weeks ago as well. I just wanted a more competitive match but the sending off killed the game.
Killed any hope of a game yes. Levante haven't scored a goal in 4 games. They're hopeless. They do give Real Madrid a game when they come for a visit. Other than that I wouldn't bother to watch them play.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
So Valencia continued their great start to the season with a solid 3-0 away win at Getafe. 3 wins and a draw away to Sevilla (a very decent result) from 4 games is an impressive start. Should be one of the favorites to claim a CL place this season if they keep it up.

Last edited:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nuno (the Jorge Mendes protégé) is doing very well. Surprised by André Gomes impact as well.

PvsNP

According to ESPN, he got 34 assists in all competitions. His best season ever IMO.

If Messi maintains his current run of form, he will surely beat it.

PvsNP

So Valencia continued there great start to the season with a solid 3-0 away win at Getafe. 3 wins and a draw away to Sevilla (a very decent result) from 4 games is an impressive start. Should be one of the favorites to claim a CL place this season if they keep it up.
The 4th place is between them and Sevilla really. I have my doubts about Athletic Bilbao this season.

Matchday 5 - 23 Sep

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga mid-week football schedule

Tonight (all times UK)
Real Madrid v Elche 19:00
Celta de Vigo v Deportivo de La Coruña 21:00

Wed 24 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Almería v Atl Madrid 19:00
Eibar v Villarreal 19:00
Rayo Vallecano v Ath Bilbao 19:00
Granada CF v Levante 21:00
Málaga v Barcelona 21:00
Sevilla v Real Sociedad 21:00

Thu 25 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Espanyol v Getafe 19:00
Valencia v Córdoba 21:00

Keylor Navas is expected to make his Liga debut tonight in place of Casillas. Ancelotti describes it as part of his rotation plan. There's speculation that Chicharito may start as well. Mandzukic is still out for Atletico and there's expected to be some rotation there as well.

From all this rotation talk you can probably guess that the big three are expecting full points. Valencia will feel the same but have less need to rotate players as they're not playing in Europe.

Best match of the group ought to be Sevilla Vs Real Sociedad. Vamos a ver.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Want a hilarious/crazy/depressing/mind-boggling stat about spending in La Liga?

After Real (#3) and Barcelona (#5), there isn't another Spanish team in the World Net spending list until #110.

Barcelona's B team.

Atletico have made a €21m profit on players since 09.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/statistik/einnahmenausgaben?id=a&sa=&saison_id=2009&saison_id_bis=2014&land_id=&nat=&pos=
That's a brilliant list. On a non-Liga sidenote, Porto have made €206 net on the transfer market but I wonder how much of that is still the club's money and how much they had to hand over to third parties.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Keylor Navas, Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Kroos, Illarramendi, James, Isco, Bale, Cristiano

Guess any of the the latter 4 there will play as a (false?) Striker. Your guess is as good as mine :D

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Benzema has gotten so much backlash he became underrated

playmaker at the striker spot, he changes a whole offense

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Looks like a soft pen... but you get free kicks for that anywhere outside the pen area.