g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

La Liga - 2014/15

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Why don't we batter teams like Real?

We could've won 8-0 or something against QPR but we stopped playing completely second half.
Goal difference matters in the PL, so QPR tried to close the game down.

It's head-to-head that matters in La Liga so a lot of teams go into, "try and get back in it" mode until they are 4 down and even the, "too late now, lets give the fans something to cheer about, and get one back ourselves," plan at 5 down.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Goal difference matters in the PL, so QPR tried to close the game down.
They didn't really though, we just stopped trying.

We always do when we get a few goals lead. Pretty much why we concede and then get nervy a lot over the last few years.

Skorenzy

Are Atletico the best set piece team in Europe right now? They always score from them.
Likely, that's now 10 of their last 13 goals from set-pieces I think.

Koke's deliveries are just Beckhamesque :drool:
Yeah, his delivery is great. Already on 5 assists this season, 3 from set-pieces.

edit: @Mali_Zeus nope, he suffered a broken nose and had surgery a couple of days ago.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Clucking hell, that Celta goal though. Inspired stuff. Like something Berbatov would do on a day when bothered.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Not too impressed with Raul Jimenez yet. Needs to settle fast as they lack serious depth up top without Mandzukic.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Atlético rely too much on set pieces for my liking. Remarkable how many 1 goal victories they've gotten that way.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Atlético rely too much on set pieces for my liking. Remarkable how many 1 goal victories they've gotten that way.
Their centre backs score tons of goals. I think it's great. They can play some good stuff too, but when it's not working they are always a threat off set pieces.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Their centre backs score tons of goals. I think it's great. They can play some good stuff too, but when it's not working they are always a threat off set pieces.
Not saying it's a bad thing in itself that they score from set pieces. It's worrying that so many games are the result of that. Suggests that the other stuff isn't working all that well. They defend well, they work hard and they score from set pieces. It's a bitch to play against but you won't stay at the top for long that way.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
If Atletico win this, it'll be Simeone's 100th win in 155 games. That's a 65% win rate! That's actually amazing considering where Atletico were when Simeone came in and the league they're playing in with the dominance of Real and Barca and all that. Brilliant manager!

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not saying it's a bad thing in itself that they score from set pieces. It's worrying that so many games are the result of that. Suggests that the other stuff isn't working all that well. They defend well, they work hard and they score from set pieces. It's a bitch to play against but you won't stay at the top for long that way.
With their salary structure compared to that of Real and Barca and other top clubs in other countries, they aren't even supposed to be as good as they are. If they were a great team and they'd win this way, I'd be concerned but in their case it's just a matter of maximizing their abilities.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
CL final 1999! 3 goals scored, all from set pieces (2 corners, 1 free-kick) :D There are a lot of other examples, too which show that even the biggest games are decided by set pieces.

I don't mind them scoring that way, it's their strength and with Koke and Gabi's excellent delivery and a lot of good headers in their team, why not use it? Plus you still have to work for set pieces, especially for corners. Usually a good chance from open play is defended/cleared and only because of that you win a corner.

Skorenzy

Excellent Orellana-Mallo combo there nearly paying off dividends... inclusion of Nolito, Celta's best player last season, should provide more directness.

Skorenzy

Pretty harsh on Miranda.. definitely impeded the Celta player, but he's trying his best to avoid contact.

2-2, Nolito (pen)

Skorenzy

Another set-piece goal for Atléti, but correctly disallowed for offside, too bad for Jiménez would've been his first goal for them

Raul Madrid

This is a proper game of football. Both teams getting stuck in and going for it. Its great to watch.

Skorenzy

First Jiménez almost scoring on the turn, then Koke almost puts his delivery in the top corner of the goal, Celta goalie Sergio Álvarez with two great interventions in a row.