La Liga - 2014/15

Phil

i know, we should get a room
the truth is that argentinians love brazil

but not in sports, unless is a brazilian against the rest (ayrton senna for instance is huge in argentina)
I didn't know that, it always seems more venomous at all times, especially from the Argies.

Moyes definitely stirring shit up, he's been researching Spanish swear words.

The Red Thinker

Moyes's Sociedad is fun to watch! Flying wingers and quick counters. It's an English tactic in midfield of putting bodies in there but add in natural Spanish technique and he might just have something there.

Skorenzy

La Real have played well, just missing the perfect final touch or finish. Some very nice passes from Chory Castro. Vela had a slow start to the season, but he's getting there...

Skorenzy

Moyes's Sociedad is fun to watch! Flying wingers and quick counters. It's an English tactic in midfield of putting bodies in there but add in natural Spanish technique and he might just have something there.
Uh, that's exactly how they've always played under Montanier and Arrasate. Don't notice any significant differences at this point.

(To be fair to your point about style, this is a club which had a good amount of British influences in its past.)

The Red Thinker

Uh, that's exactly how they've always played under Montanier and Arrasate. Don't notice any significant differences at this point.

(To be fair to your point about style, this is a club which had a good amount of British influences in its past.)
Hmm true that. Though, I would say there is significantly more amount of wing play. It might just be me, but there is a more quicker counter in place. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Oh and of course, the British tradition will help ol' Moyesey with the transition. The style of play has been influenced over the years as well.

Skorenzy

Hmm true that. Though, I would say there is significantly more amount of wing play. It might just be me, but there is a more quicker counter in place. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Oh and of course, the British tradition will help ol' Moyesey with the transition. The style of play has been influenced over the years as well.
There might be more intensity in this specific game because of circumstances, but they always played with this kind of intensity and energy and their main threat was situated on the wings with Griezmann and Vela (who does come centrally very often as well).

I've often maintained in the La Liga threads that they were the side playing the best football in Spain in the 2nd half of 2012/13, a form which saw them get 4th spot and into the CL. Too bad they couldn't build on that further last season (2013/14), such a massive disappointment, only consolation being Griezmann and Vela playing their best individual seasons ever (for my money Vela was even the 2nd best player in the league behind Diego Costa and ahead of Messi and Cristiano; his performances were incredibly well-rounded and his influence on the team was extraordinary). This season he's been in and out, but returned to the fold for Mexico and immediately scored twice on the Dutch on his "re-debut" and scored in La Real's only two wins so far this season, v the European champions and the Spanish champions!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just a side note looking at that half empty Deportivo stadium. It's worth commenting a bit on life in the bottom half of La Liga. Their season ticket prices start at €180 (with discounts for OAPs, U25s and the unemployed), which gets you 15 Liga matches but excludes their games with Barcelona, Real Madrid and Celta Viga (season ticket holders can buy discounted tickets for these). Anyone who is planning on going to more than a handful of games will buy a season ticket.

So far, so good? OK. Now let's throw in another factor. Tonight's match is live on free-to-air TV. It will finish a few minutes before midnight (Spanish time) and public transport will be hard to come by. And it's raining. Not surprisingly, tonight, despite cut price tickets for members (2 for €22!) and low prices for the public (€15 to €35) the ground will contain fewer fans than the club has season ticket holders.

saivet

Depor look the more likely. Sociedad have looked ordinary this second half.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
0-0, typical Moyes away result, he is back in his element!

Matchday 13 - 29 Nov: Moyes wins and a Tarot is read

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga this weekend, and a couple of interesting games coming up. Starting tonight with Moyes' first home game. Elche (19th in La Liga) are actually level on points with Real Sociedad - so it's an important game.

Tonight: (from the BBC so all times are UK)
Real Sociedad v Elche 19:45

Sat 29 Nov 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Getafe v Ath Bilbao 15:00
Espanyol v Levante 17:00
Málaga v Real Madrid 19:00
Celta de Vigo v Eibar 21:00

Sun 30 Nov 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Atl Madrid v Deportivo de La Coruña 11:00
Sevilla v Granada CF 16:00
Córdoba v Villarreal 18:00
Valencia v Barcelona 20:00

Mon 1 Dec 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Almería v Rayo Vallecano 19:45

Meanwhile at the top of La Liga. Atletico should beat (18th place) Deportivo.

Barcelona have just had their best week of the season and Valencia come to the game after losing against Levante. It should be a good match, but with Valencia, who knows.

Same with Malaga really, their good start hit a speedbump against Atletico. But they've got home advantage and Madrid were away in the CL on Wednesday so they could make it a hard game. Incidentally if Madrid win that will be 16 consecutive wins and that will be a record for the club. Curiously they've yet to draw in La Liga, Copa or the CL this season.

Meanwhile Marca hired a tarot reader to save us all a little time. Read on only if you want to know the outcome to the season's trophies.
Barcelona will beat Atletico for La Liga. Real Madrid will crash out of all competitions during the run-in. The CL will not be won by a Liga club. Neither Messi or Ronaldo will win the Ballon D'or.

Raul Madrid

:lol: I guess that means Carlo out. Perez has probably already given him the boot as soon as he read that.

Skorenzy

La Real score after 3 minutes on Moyes' home debut. Vela with the bullet header from a cross by Carlos Martínez!

Skorenzy

Vela is awesome. Excellent goal. Brilliant ball from Xabi Prieto to put him 1v1 though. Another underrated player.

Ruht

Meanwhile Marca hired a tarot reader to save us all a little time. Read on only if you want to know the outcome to the season's trophies.
Barcelona will beat Atletico for La Liga. Real Madrid will crash out of all competitions during the run-in. The CL will not be won by a Liga club. Neither Messi or Ronaldo will win the Ballon D'or.
Great, another statement from Madrid is inevitable then!

Skorenzy

Hat-trick for Carlos V.! Another excellent finish, inside post and in. Intelligent pass from Carlos Martínez (again) into his path as well.

Skorenzy

That Jonathas (on loan from Pescara) is looking pretty nifty, very good close control and basically Elche's only attacking threat in this game.

Skorenzy

Valencia will beat Barca on sunday, put your money on it lads. Well... everyone except Rob of course.
:D

Think a draw is quite likely. Meanwhile, you guys are set to break an all-time record aren't you? If you beat Málaga that will be 16 consecutive victories in all competitions (record is 15 under Miguel Muñoz in 1960/61 and Mourinho in 2011/12). Carlo flying under the radar once again.

Eila

Vela is awesome. Excellent goal. Brilliant ball from Xabi Prieto to put him 1v1 though. Another underrated player.
I would say people that follow La Liga know very well that he's one of the best attacking players in there. When in form he's only behind Messi/CR.
It's people that only remember his Arsenal days and haven't watched him in the last 3 years that don't think that.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
:D

Think a draw is quite likely. Meanwhile, you guys are set to break an all-time record aren't you? If you beat Málaga that will be 16 consecutive victories in all competitions (record is 15 under Miguel Muñoz in 1960/61 and Mourinho in 2011/12). Carlo flying under the radar once again.
We're on an unbelievable run indeed. I'm a bit worried about this game though. It certainly won't be a walkover.

Raul Madrid

What a save by Casillas earlier. Great goal by Bale too. Both have been under pressure recently and both have responded in excellent fashion.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
What a save by Casillas earlier. Great goal by Bale too. Both have been under pressure recently and both have responded in excellent fashion.
Casillas fluffed couple before in the game. I don't think he has been excellent overall in the game.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
FT and Ancelotti breaks the "most consecutive wins" record for a Madrid manager.
Next 3 games are home and very winnable, then Almeria away. Doesn't look like this streak will stop soon.

Last edited: