La Liga - 2015/2016

LARulz

I watched the first 10 of the Barca match and Celta Vigo were great, didn't expect them to win this well though

Skorenzy

I watched the first 10 of the Barca match and Celta Vigo were great, didn't expect them to win this well though
They were already this good last season as well, beating Barça at the Camp Nou early on in the season... they went into a long slump until after the winter break where they just couldn't win a game (or even score a goal)... they finished the season strong though. Lucho's Barça have been struggling with Celta for 3 games in a row now (Málaga too).

Skorenzy

W-what has happened to Sevilla?
The usual in La Liga for them ever since 06-07: inconsistency... I'm certain their ridiculous clinical efficiency in Europe in recent years is the result of a deal with the devil, and it didn't extend into the domestic league.

edit: also weird decisions by Emery. completely rotated his XI, hasn't even given Konoplyanka a start in La Liga yet. :houllier:

LARulz

They were already this good last season as well, beating Barça at the Camp Nou early on in the season... they went into a long slump until after the winter break where they just couldn't win a game (or even score a goal)... they finished the season strong though. Lucho's Barça have been struggling with Celta for 3 games in a row now (Málaga too).
Is it just their style of play they can't cope with? If so why is it different to what others do?

Skorenzy

Is it just their style of play they can't cope with? If so why is it different to what others do?
Well, Celta were managed by Lucho until he moved to Barça and he made them into an excellent team when in possession (by utilizing very technical DFs and MFs that are capable of matching & even out-playing a Xavi-less Barça MF) and added the intensity and high press. Berizzo continued in that vein but has them playing a bit deeper from what I can tell, so they're not as vulnerable as for example the sometimes suicidal Rayo Vallecano under Paco Jémez. The Nolito/Orellana partnership especially has made them more effective and versatile in attack. (Last season they also had Krohn-Dehli having the season of his life providing them from MF, but he went to Sevilla). I'd say together with Bielsa's Athletic and Jémez' Rayo they're the only teams who consistently approached games v Barça with such intensity and cojones; whereas those two sides usually went overboard with risky plays and high lines, Celta have remained more pragmatic and adaptable (in all three meetings they were very solid in DF even if they needed some miracles from the goalie Sergio Álvarez at times).

I mentioned Málaga as well, but they're totally different. Very defensive, almost spotless organization but not mere "bus-parking"... they managed to reduce Barça to less than 5 shots over two games last season if I'm not mistaken. That means they're capable of nullifying the MF. Celta did the same, not so much thru organized defending as with their incessant pressing, to an extent (as Barça were far more dangerous in the 2nd half, Messi alone creating 6 good chances). Nullify the MF and it makes it so much harder for their FWs to get involved.

The obvious conclusion is that Barça's defining characteristic has become their weakest area: without Xavi their MF has lost that sense of invincibility and they rely far more on individuals in DF and FW lines (Piqué having his best season since 2011, Alves' resurgence in the 2nd half of last season after two comparatively average years; Messi, Neymar, Suárez being so lethal) and especially on Messi to link the MF with the FW. Where chance creation was mainly a task for the MF under Guardiola, it's become the duty of the FWs (ie. Messi) and the MF have gone into more of a covering and water-carrier role you could say.

Last edited:

Obiorahking_

Well, Celta were managed by Lucho until he moved to Barça and he made them into an excellent team when in possession (by utilizing very technical DFs and MFs that are capable of matching & even out-playing a Xavi-less Barça MF) and added the intensity and high press. Berizzo continued in that vein but has them playing a bit deeper from what I can tell, so they're not as vulnerable as for example the sometimes suicidal Rayo Vallecano under Paco Jémez. The Nolito/Orellana partnership especially has made them more effective and versatile in attack. (Last season they also had Krohn-Dehli having the season of his life providing them from MF, but he went to Sevilla). I'd say together with Bielsa's Athletic and Jémez' Rayo they're the only teams who consistently approached games v Barça with such intensity and cojones; whereas those two sides usually went overboard with risky plays and high lines, Celta have remained more pragmatic and adaptable (in all three meetings they were very solid in DF even if they needed some miracles from the goalie Sergio Álvarez at times).

I mentioned Málaga as well, but they're totally different. Very defensive, almost spotless organization but not mere "bus-parking"... they managed to reduce Barça to less than 5 shots over two games last season if I'm not mistaken. That means they're capable of nullifying the MF. Celta did the same, not so much thru organized defending as with their incessant pressing, to an extent (as Barça were far more dangerous in the 2nd half, Messi alone creating 6 good chances). Nullify the MF and it makes it so much harder for their FWs to get involved.

The obvious conclusion is that Barça's defining characteristic has become their weakest area: without Xavi their MF has lost that sense of invincibility and they rely far more on individuals in DF and FW lines (Piqué having his best season since 2011, Alves' resurgence in the 2nd half of last season after two comparatively average years; Messi, Neymar, Suárez being so lethal) and especially on Messi to link the MF with the FW. Where chance creation was mainly a task for the MF under Guardiola, it's become the duty of the FWs (ie. Messi) and the MF have gone into more of a covering and water-carrier role you could say.
Have you ever consisdered Sports Journalism or Broadcasting? What a great, detailed and informative post.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
W-what has happened to Sevilla?
Bought too many players in. They were doing better in pre season when they were playing their settled team, it's their own fault as well for buying in players when they have youngsters on pre season who played very well. One of them Munoz finally made the bench today.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Genuine question, has Ronaldo scored a goal in tight game this season? Or in any other apart from that hat-trick and those 5 goals he scored in one game? Just curious.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Love the fact that Ter Stegen is repeatedly getting trashed now that he's a starter while Bravo is injured. Overrated arrogant goalkeeper, I bet it's eating him up that he's conceding so many goals right now.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
RM from last year would win the Liga this year, I don't think they deserved to win this game and they play defense most of the game, I have a feeling RM will have a low score this year...time for CR7 to move.:lol:

Treble

Genuine question, has Ronaldo scored a goal in tight game this season? Or in any other apart from that hat-trick and those 5 goals he scored in one game? Just curious.
In a sense, he made the games in which he scored un-tight. Remove Ronaldo's goals and they start to look quite differently. Espanol aren't crap, they beat Valencia in the next home game.

Treble

Celta showed that La Liga is full with quality teams...Can you imagine the English counterpart of Celta beating Barca 4:1? I can't.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
In a sense, he made the games in which he scored un-tight. Remove Ronaldo's goals and they start to look quite differently. Espanol aren't crap, they beat Valencia in the next home game.
Yeah, I kind of agree with that, who knows what would happen in those if he didn't score that much, I thought that's obvious.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There was an El Confidencial article today or yesterday saying the Real players have already begun to dread Benitez. Everything is tactics, tactics tactics. It's only a matter of time before that discontent if true, translats itself onto the pitch.
Barcelona need to sort themselves out. They have been poor this season, No mistake. The look sluggish. They might be having trouble motivating themselves. I don't know what's wrong with them.

PvsNP

There was an El Confidencial article today or yesterday saying the Real players have already begun to dread Benitez. Everything is tactics, tactics tactics. It's only a matter of time before that discontent if true, translats itself onto the pitch.
Barcelona need to sort themselves out. They have been poor this season, No mistake. The look sluggish. They might be having trouble motivating themselves. I don't know what's wrong with them.
El Confidencial is a shit source tbf, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true.

LARulz

That's really interesting, thank you for the info. Will be keeping an eye out for Celta now

Match 6: 25/27 Sept - Villarreal go top, Messi injured

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga this weekend.

Fri 25 Sep 2015 - Spanish La Liga (from the BBC so all times are UK)

Valencia v Granada CF 19:30

Sat 26 Sep 2015 - Spanish La Liga
Barcelona v Las Palmas 15:00
Real Madrid v Málaga 17:15
Sevilla v Rayo Vallecano 19:30
Villarreal v Atl Madrid 19:30
Eibar v Celta de Vigo 21:05

Sun 27 Sep 2015 - Spanish La Liga
Sporting de Gijón v Real Betis 11:00
Deportivo de La Coruña v Espanyol 15:00
Getafe v Levante 17:15
Real Sociedad v Ath Bilbao 19:30

Valencia have scored 2 goals in 5 Liga games. Nuno's under pressure from the fans. The management are being criticised over the club's finances in a legal action brought by a pressure group led by ex-board members. They need a win! But so do Granada who seem to have been on the unlucky side of a few results so far this season.

Pepe is out for Real Madrid, so Nacho is expected to start with Varane. But Malaga have scored 0 goals so far, and are level on 2 points with Sevilla at the bottom of La Liga, so it's hard to imagine them taking advantage of the new combination. Bale, James, Ramos are all still out.

Villareal V Atletico should be good. Both teams have made solid starts, Villareal are level top on 13 points with Real Madrid and Celta. Atletico are one point behind and their new forward line and formation is just getting started.

Barcelona get the chance to recover from the 4-1 defeat at Celta by playing newly promoted Las Palmas. So far Barca's season is looking very like their last one - disappointing performances, but until Wednesday they were getting wins from flashes of flair from Messi or Neymar. And of course we all know how well last season worked out for them and just how good they were after Christmas.

The press and politicians will have an eye on the Camp Nou crowd as well. On Sunday the Catalan regional elections have been turned into an unofficial referendum on independance for Catalunya - leftwing and rightwing nationalist parties combining on a single platform "Junts pel Si". If they win, the alliance say they'll be starting an 18 month program leading to independance. Of course politically, legally, economically it's not so simple, but it's a big vote and will affect the whole of Spain - including voting in Spain's national elections later in the year.

Sunday's not a bad day in La Liga either. Deportivo Vs Espanyol is 7th place Vs 6th. Real Sociedad Vs Athletic should be a good match despite their relatively poor form so far.

Last edited:

prarek

Valencia Granada on now and Valencia going with a very attacking formation. 7 changes to the last lineup.

prarek

Mustafi scores with a header and a good cross from Bakkali. Bakkali has been a spark the last the last two games he started. Makes you scratch your head why he wasn't included in the champions league squad.

prarek

Amazing save from Jaume. He's been in great form. It will be interesting to see who will be Valencia's no.1 when Ryan gets back. Not to mention Diego Alves in January. Undroppable right now.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Amazing save from Jaume. He's been in great form. It will be interesting to see who will be Valencia's no.1 when Ryan gets back. Not to mention Diego Alves in January. Undroppable right now.
I'd go with Alves since Nuno is a big fan of his. There are some similiarities in their playing style. Nuno spent some years on Porto's bench but he was a fine keeper.

prarek

I'd go with Alves since Nuno is a big fan of his. There are some similiarities in their playing style. Nuno spent some years on Porto's bench but he was a fine keeper.
Definitely Alves. We've not seen much of the other two. Lets see if Jaume can keep this form up. Looks good but only been a few games.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Get in Rob 1.02 result! What are you going to do with all that money?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Barça didn´t lose a game in la liga for 3 or more goals from 2008.Ter Stergen is already known as Ter Paqueten (Paquete is flop/bad player).
This has been very quiet from the game and here there are a lot of culés. If Madrid/Benitez had lost 4-1 with that poor performance the Benitez sacking thread would be packed. What do you think that is the problem? The goal keeper, Sergi Roberto is not the new Cafu, Piqué, or maybe simply it's another example of the dependence of Messi, who is Missing :lol:.
Capdevila has said that he feels cheated for a photo that Guanyarem (a group pro Independence) took to catalan sportmen, in theory to help the catalan sport but being used for political purposes: http://www.marca.com/2015/09/25/futbol/1443192480.html
On the other hand, Madrid leader after a very serious game in Bilbao. Kovacic>Rakitic :cool:

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Barça didn´t lose a game in la liga for 3 or more goals from 2008.Ter Stergen is already known as Ter Paqueten (Paquete is flop/bad player).
This has been very quiet from the game and here there are a lot of culés. If Madrid/Benitez had lost 4-1 with that poor performance the Benitez sacking thread would be packed. What do you think that is the problem? The goal keeper, Sergi Roberto is not the new Cafu, Piqué, or maybe simply it's another example of the dependence of Messi, who is Missing :lol:.
Capdevila has said that he feels cheated for a photo that Guanyarem (a group pro Independence) took to catalan sportmen, in theory to help the catalan sport but being used for political purposes: http://www.marca.com/2015/09/25/futbol/1443192480.html
On the other hand, Madrid leader after a very serious game in Bilbao. Kovacic>Rakitic :cool:
I think Barça lack depth. They had to play Munir, Sergi Roberto and other garbage. I don't even think my team in Brazil has to play this level of players off the bench. That's why the ban hurt them a lot.

Skorenzy

Messi goes off injured just 10 minutes into the game v Las Palmas. Jarred his knee in a collision with a defender, was writhing in pain, eventually got up and played on a couple of minutes but then decided that he couldn't continue.