La Liga 2017/18

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Hat Trick Messi, assist from Paulinho

3 weeks ago I was dreading this season, now I'm more excited than ever

Blind

Absolutely phenomenal, what more can you say that hasn't been said before.

wr8_utd

:'(
Imagine. There are grown men who actually think Messi is not the best in the world :lol:

WhoDaGOAT

Hat Trick Messi, assist from Paulinho

3 weeks ago I was dreading this season, now I'm more excited than ever
I think Valverde is doing a very good job.

Using his squad well. Paulinho and Denís Suárez are in good form and showing that rotation is possible.

Suárez's form is the only real concern.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
I think Valverde is doing a very good job.

Using his squad well. Paulinho and Denís Suárez are in good form and showing that rotation is possible.

Suárez's form is the only real concern.
I'd add Pique's form to that. Sleeping too many times. Ramos II without the key goals these days.

WhoDaGOAT

I'd add Pique's form to that. Sleeping too many times. Ramos II without the key goals these days.
I think Piqué suffers from a lack of motivation at times. He's flirted with the idea of early retirement in the past.

When you've won 4 Champions League medals, 2 European Championships and a World Cup by the age of 28, I guess it's difficult to set your sights on anything higher.

Maybe the arrival of the Colombian in January will shake things up a bit.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I think Piqué suffers from a lack of motivation at times. He's flirted with the idea of early retirement in the past.

When you've won 4 Champions League medals, 2 European Championships and a World Cup by the age of 28, I guess it's difficult to set your sights on anything higher.

Shakira won't come back until January?

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona

If Madrid dominating La Liga doesn't motivate you as a Barca player and soon to be president, then you might as well retire now.

Yea. Yerry Mina could be a true gem. But also a big flop.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Haha. No, Yerry Mina.
Just messing around :lol:

I find hard to believe that, if things go within reasonable margins, Valverde could bench Pique. Too big of a character in our roster, he'll play unless he's in awful form for months and when they bench him he could probably create problems

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Since we're speaking about the man, Pique close to having two goals under his belt tonight.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Since we're speaking about the man, Pique close to having two goals under his belt tonight.
Yep, Umtiti has been great and covering some of his flaws, Mascherano might be below Pique level right now, so its easier for Pique to get exposed

4th goal from Messi

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Messi. Scores 4 goals in energy saving mode. He could play another game right after this one.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Messi. Scores 4 goals in energy saving mode. He could play another game right after this one.
Already in 12 goals and we're in september. Also I believe false 9 Messi might still be his best version if he has a decent midfield behind him

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
You take Neymar away, rest Suarez and Messi becomes the bearer of all responsibility. Four goals.

He's clearly a cyborg or something.

Skorenzy

Eibar didn't have much luck tonight, scoreline could've been a lot tighter: they had two great 1v1s with Ter Stegen saved and twice hit the woodwork as well.

All in all, a fairly relaxed game for Barça despite a very loose first half.

AlwaysRed66

This league is so uncompetitive it is unreal. Sides seem to lie down & die against the big sides, & even a Spurs failure looks good. Meanwhile Zaza, who was absolutely pants at West Ham, scores a hat trick for Valencia last night, which says it all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, Getafe and Levante really rolled over for barcelona and madrid....

Enjuto

Supports
Real Madrid
This league is so uncompetitive it is unreal. Sides seem to lie down & die against the big sides, & even a Spurs failure looks good. Meanwhile Zaza, who was absolutely pants at West Ham, scores a hat trick for Valencia last night, which says it all.
Uncompetitive? RM/Barcelona would win PL as easy as the rest of the teams played with 11 Zazas.

AlwaysRed66

Uncompetitive? RM/Barcelona would win PL as easy as the rest of the teams played with 11 Zazas.
Not if they had to play 38 competitive league games, plus CL, & other cups they wouldn't. Many of the games they stroll around the pitch, which premiership teams cannot do, so they tire as the season goes on.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Real Madrid players applauded at Camp Nou:

Real what??
Only one madrid player has been applauded in camp nou. Cunningham, one player crippled by injuries, but one of the best British players (strangely downplayed by the Brits themselves).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not if they had to play 38 competitive league games, plus CL, & other cups they wouldn't. Many of the games they stroll around the pitch, which premiership teams cannot do, so they tire as the season goes on.
They would win it comfortably. Noone strolls around the pitch in La Liga. Other than the odd lazy player (like the PL).

38 competitive league games? Like the one City had this past weekend?

Skorenzy

You clearly didn't watch the game if you think Eibar lied down... Hell, they had more shots than Barça, at Camp Nou! 11-13. And two of those 13 shots were against the woodwork as well. Compare that to Watford getting destroyed 6-0 at home by City with a shot count of 7-28 in favour of the latter.

On Zaza: he's been absolute "pants" in La Liga as well, however a functional team behind you (thanks Marcelino!) can make a huge difference for a poacher. Take for example, Chicharito at West Ham not having an easy time because there's a lack of cohesion and chance creation.

I can also cherrypick : for example Llorente scored 8 goals in his last two seasons in La Liga (49 appearances) , but last year at Swansea he scored 15 in 33 games.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: the difference in level, if any, between La Liga and the PL is negligible compared to other factors like team mates, tactics, form, fitness, motivation, adaptation, etc....

AlwaysRed66

They would win it comfortably. Noone strolls around the pitch in La Liga. Other than the odd lazy player (like the PL).

38 competitive league games? Like the one City had this past weekend?
Conte, Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp, Wenger & all the premiership managers say hi, & all agree that the Premiership is more competitive & intense than leagues abroad, which is why the players get tired over a season. Perhaps they are all lying & deluded, but they all say the same thing.

Top European sides are always clamouring for a Super League, which is ironic, as it could be their worst nightmare. Can you imagine them all playing in a league where only one can win, & some of them maybe mid table or worse. I cannot think how the clubs & their supporters would react. English sides on the other hand, may well find the level higher, but they would be used to playing competitively & intense the whole season, & would do well. I am personally against it, but it would be great just to see the reactions when these clubs failed.

Schneckerl

Didn't see this kind post for the first 4 matchesdays. Convenient timing, thumps up.

What's City's and Utd's GPG so far by the way?

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I was going to say, can we expect Manchesters United and City to stop winning games 4-0 and 6-0 there, chief? Remember that goal difference means nothing in Spain. Being 3-1 down and 5-1 down at Camp Nou or the Bernabeu means the same thing to a small club, so they might as well try to score.

I'm reasonably happy with the start so far. Given the troubled summer and the awful SuperCopa performances, it was important to get off to a flyer. Particularly since Atletico and Madrid have both dropped early points I wouldn't have expected them to drop. They should push on and keep this winning run going before the hard games arrive.